Sniper Drones - Amusingly Misleading Description

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Sniper Drones - Amusingly Misleading Description

Post#1 » Sep 11 2017 08:27

Something I noticed on the Games Workshop web site- just how horribly misleading the description of the unit is.

T'au Sniper Drone Teams are the ultimate anti-infantry weapon in the T'au arsenal. Each drone is equipped with a Rail Rifle that can fire a high velocity projectile at such extraordinary speed that it will punch clean through the armour of almost any adversary. The resultant mess is enough encouragement for most enemies to dive for cover, cowering in fear that they may be singled out as the next target.

This description is not just misleading, it's absolutely false. Let's take a look at each sentence.

-

T'au Sniper Drone Teams are the ultimate anti-infantry weapon in the T'au arsenal.

This is subjective, but Sniper Drone Teams are a mediocre weapon at best.

Each drone is equipped with a Rail Rifle that can fire a high velocity projectile...

The first false claim, Sniper Drones are not equipped with Rail Rifles.

...at such extraordinary speed that it will punch clean through the armour of almost any adversary.

The next false claim, Sniper Drones' weapons have no armor-piercing characteristics.

The resultant mess is enough encouragement for most enemies to dive for cover, cowering in fear that they may be singled out as the next target.

This is outdated, the pinning mechanic no longer exists.

-

This definitely is nit-picky, but it's strange that the description of this unit is basically 100% false. Seems a little bit like dishonest advertising, especially since new players won't know what they're buying. :sad:

Hoob
Shas'Saal

Re: Sniper Drones - Amusingly Misleading Description

Post#2 » Sep 11 2017 11:08

All the unit descriptions on the website are fluff, they're not really meant to reflect the rules directly or anything. The rail rifle bit is a weird bit of misinformation, but the rest is just narrative fluff, nothing more. Same goes for pretty much every army's storefront descriptions.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 11 2017 11:12

It's simply outdated since they used to have Railrifles. ^^

Hoob wrote:All the unit descriptions on the website are fluff, they're not really meant to reflect the rules directly or anything. The rail rifle bit is a weird bit of misinformation, but the rest is just narrative fluff, nothing more. Same goes for pretty much every army's storefront descriptions.

That's outdated fluff though.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Sep 12 2017 12:59

I'd say the fluff is right but the datasheet is simply wrong on so many points.

Funny thing is:
If you'd change the name to something like Firewarrior Hunter Team, buff their BS to 4+ and represent them by Firewarrior models with camo cloaks and longer Pulse Rifles they'd actually be a pretty cool unit.
But they aren't real designated snipers. Period.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 12 2017 08:12

I think giving the sniper drones a special rail rifle that can target characters would fix all of their problems. You wouldn't necessarily need to make a special rail rifle and instead give them a special rule to do it, but the weapon seems to be the trend of how they have done it with every race.

In fact I think they would make a pretty soild choice at that point, even at 30-35 points. It's possible that it may change with our codex, but in the meantime I'll just be taking the firesight marksman on their own. :P

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Sep 12 2017 09:45

Just say goodbye to the picture of sniper drones hovering on the horizon and landing an ace shot right between the enemy's general's eyes.
That's not what they are. They are a solid choice if they acompany another unit.

Twisty
Shas

Post#7 » Sep 12 2017 10:19

When sniper drones first came out they had rail rifles..

And i do remember reading a Tau short story where sniper drones where piercing space marine armour with ease.
Shame what has happened to them. Hope the codex gives them a buff

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#8 » Sep 13 2017 06:42

Twisty wrote:When sniper drones first came out they had rail rifles..

And i do remember reading a Tau short story where sniper drones where piercing space marine armour with ease.
Shame what has happened to them. Hope the codex gives them a buff

An easy buff would be allowing infantry characters like Firesight marksman to have a drone controller, they always used to so why not anymore.

And then if you could pay say 20pts each to upgrade a long shot pulse rifle to a rail rifle would give people the choice and a good sniper unit

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Sep 13 2017 06:52

Meh. An even more easy buff would be to give them an AP value and call it a day.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Sep 13 2017 06:07

And mortal wounds on 6 like most other snipers...wait...That's a railgun :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Sep 14 2017 12:18

I know right? Shocking! :D

Return to “General Discussion”