About 'Crisis of faith'

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
jumping galaxy
Shas

Re: About 'Crisis of faith'

Post#19 » Jan 13 2018 12:33

TauMan wrote:My dear jumping galaxy! You have discovered the terrifying 'Crisis of Faith' novel and it's author "He-who-shall-not-be-named" :dead: :dead: :dead:

However, having said that, had you done a search for 'Crisis of Faith' you have found the previous discussion thread on the topic from this past August of 2017 (click on title).

This terrible book, and all its unmitigated horror, has been thoroughly gone over in the above mentioned discussion thread. And I assure you that testimony was given, and evidence collected; all of which was sent to the Intergalactic Court of Human Rights. We are recommending 'Crisis of Faith' as a possible war crime and a crime against all sentient life. :fear:

Suggest you read the above post and then if still want to, repost your complaints there. And YES, most of us agree with you!

TauMan
'O great Aun'Va save us from the terrible and gawd-awful writing of Illphay Ellykay! The Tau'Va preserve us!'

Well,thank you for telling me about this author :D
I haven't read many novel about Warhammer so I’m not familiar with those writer,but I will take your advice(

jumping galaxy
Shas

Post#20 » Jan 13 2018 12:37

AngryMook wrote:I took his initial confusion to be the daemon being disoriented and initially confused by the possession of Mr water spider. It could be the case that some remnant of his meagre tau soul still remained at this point.

The psychic powers he manifests are probably entirely because he is a daemon (possessed by one at least) rather than learning new powers. Something similar happens with one of Ravenor's group.

My understanding is that daemon princes are individuals elevated to (powerful) daemonhood by the gods/more powerful warp entities. Water Spider is more of a daemonhost probably.

WOW,it must be quite rare for a daemon to possess on a creature with such poor soul :D

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Jan 13 2018 12:45

jumping galaxy wrote:WOW,it must be quite rare for a daemon to possess on a creature with such poor soul :D

I doubt Mr. Phil Kelly has a soul. :dead:

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Jan 13 2018 04:00

It pains me to see, that such poorly written book gets how much - four or five treads on the ATT already and discussion in topic about The Greater Evil - really good story by Peter Fehervari died almost immediately after it was started. This is why we can’t get a good tau stories. Phill Kelly books are bought, there are discussions about them and attention is paid towards them. And so Phill Kelly continues to write whatever he want, while Greater Evil will probably ended up without so much needed continuation.
Last edited by Val'Sitsor on Jan 13 2018 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

AngryMook
Shas

Post#23 » Jan 13 2018 04:29

Shrug, I'd say it was an average GW book (or even genre fiction book). a lot of them are pretty poorly written (I remember a blood angels series being really bad), including some by good authors (the Ravenor books were pretty bad, and some of the Gaunt's Ghost's books fall kind of flat (or have bad parts).

I'm not saying was great... it has some kind of bad parts, but it has some parts that I liked. I rather liked a lot about the daemon for example (like how he always told the truth, kinda bene geserit like). I also liked how it showed that while Tau don't really care about or have much consideration for "wealth" they still work hard not only for the greater good but for a kind of social (and political) status within their caste (where also climbing the "ladder" has some added benefits like a greater degree of autonomy).

As far as things like Tau blood color... I don't particularly care. It's a strange thing to get hung up on.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#24 » Jan 13 2018 05:32

Topics merged

Please ensure you search for a topic before starting a new one

[2] Guidelines & Admin Team [incl. IP Rules] wrote:Post in existing topics rather than starting new ones.
If after using the search feature, you identify that a thread already exists on the topic you wish to discuss, please read through the existing posts and respond with any additional comments you might have. Many forums discourage the practice of "Thread Necromancy" which is the act of bringing back old topics that have not been added to in many months. Here at ATT, we'd much rather you post in an old thread than create a new one. This ensures that all discussion on a single topic is collected in one place. That being said, item #2 above still applies: if all you've got to add is, "Nice list, I like it," please refrain from resurrecting the old topic.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Jan 13 2018 07:43

Val'Sitsor wrote:It pains me to see, that such poorly written book gets how much - four or five treads on the ATT already and discussion in topic about The Greater Evil - really good story by Peter Fehervari died almost immediately after it was started. This is why we can’t get a good tau stories. Phill Kelly books are bought, there are discussions about them and attention is paid towards them. And so Phill Kelly continues to write whatever he want, while Greater Evil will probably ended up without so much needed continuation.

Will be doing some book reviews of Peter Fehervari in the near future; The Greater Evil will be one of them.

I know it feels like that old Hollywood adage: "bad press is good press", as it concerns HWSNBN (ilphay Ellykay); but not really. So far, Fehervari has the best handle on Tau culture since Simon Spurrier or Gav Thorpe; and I suspect we're going to see more of his work in the future.

AngryMook wrote:I'm not saying was great... it has some kind of bad parts, but it has some parts that I liked. I rather liked a lot about the daemon for example (like how he always told the truth, kinda bene geserit like). I also liked how it showed that while Tau don't really care about or have much consideration for "wealth" they still work hard not only for the greater good but for a kind of social (and political) status within their caste (where also climbing the "ladder" has some added benefits like a greater degree of autonomy).

Well, I think this is the most positive thing anyone has ever said about Crisis of Faith :-? The question then becomes, does the occasional nugget of creativity worth the sub-par writing? Was it worth really worth your money?

AngryMook wrote:As far as things like Tau blood color... I don't particularly care. It's a strange thing to get hung up on.

Blue blood is something that should never come up; since it was established right out the box with the first ever Tau novel Fire Warrior by Simon Spurrier. If you want to know the actual biology of copper based blood (it's real - Horseshoe crabs), then here is the link to a really old discussion thread: Tau Aging and Appearance Note there is a real cool graphic by Tael included in the explanation!

However, getting back to Crisis of Faith, the two items discussed 1) Culture nugget and 2) Blue Tau blood are both examples of Mr. Fill Xellee's lack of consistency. As to the latter, you might say it's a "thumb in the eye", that is to say it's his way telling us doesn't care what anyone thinks. But it's really more like a "boot to the teeth"! :fear:

TauMan

EDIT: Sorry, but there have been so many discussion thread's concerning the gawd awful writings of HWSNBN that I thought all the arguments were included in this thread. However they're not, so here is a bullet list; or if you prefer, the list of indictments for the Intergalactic Court of Human Rights.
  • Crimes against the English Language - Poor grammar and spelling (this indictment is against BL for not doing due diligence in editing).
  • Inconsistent and contradictory: characters, character motivations, plot elements, sub-plots and themes. Is inconsistent between between one book and another, and even with in the same novel or short story.
  • Absolute disregard for established WH40K lore (Tau or otherwise). Changes lore he "creates" from one story to another. (See above)
  • Weird and nonsensical character motivations; which change during the story, or in the next novel. (See above)
  • "Dog's breakfast" plot devices. NOTE: This is not the British expression meaning "a confused mess"; but the Hollywood version, meaning a tired, cliched and overused plot device (usually stolen).
    Think of a dog vomiting up his food, and another dog coming along and eating it thinking: "Hmm breakfast!" Then that dog throws up and and another dog comes along and eats it thinking: "Hmm breakfast!" This will gone as long as some studio or publishing house keeps buying the writer's "dog's breakfast".
    In the case of Fill Xellee,it's rehashing the whole Horus Heresy plot device of "Hey, the Emperor/Aun'va didn't tell me about Chaos!" And taking the lazy way out, by making the Tau Empire a carbon copy of the Imperium of Man.
  • Just bad writing (and then snickering up his sleeve about it in interviews). Another crime for which HWSNBN will have to answer to W. Shakespeare and W.B.Yates both for!
TM
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Jan 14 2018 06:09

You forget to mention his Marty Stu, Numitor. We have to wonder why he even in this book. His presence does nothing except making Scar Lord Chapter Master look even more pathetic and miserable than he would be without him. But still, every Imperial character and narration itself is contractually obligated to tell us how great Numitor was. But everyone who read the Blades Of Damocle already knows that he wasn't. He was promoted for insubordination and for getting his squadmates killed for nothing – literary. Aaaah, it was so painful to read…
I agree that there are good parts in his writing but Phill Kelly continues to undermine them again and again. Like what he have done with Puretide death and all moments that were built on it. “Hey I never said he died immediately, I took this all back, Farsight didn’t kill his mentor, he just shortened his lifespan which was almost already ended by this point. Farsight is a good guy after all, not like Aun’Va who commands tau to kill themselves without any reason just because he can.”
The problem is, Phill doesn’t understand what he is doing wrong. Judging by his interview and by what he said on weekender he has some good ideas. But how he is going to make Farsight realize that ethereals really serve the Greater Good after he have already made a power hungered villains out of them? Heh, he said that he wants to portrait Aun’Shi as a nice guy at least. It would be Moral Event Horizon if he would do opposite.
And now he is working on the book about Arthas Moloch.
And O’Kais will be antagonist in his book about Primaris Dark Angels.
Mont’au is upon us.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Jan 14 2018 07:43

Val'Sitsor wrote:And now he is working on the book about Arthas Moloch.
And O’Kais will be antagonist in his book about Primaris Dark Angels.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Val'Sitsor wrote:Mont’au is upon us.

:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

TauMan
The Mont’au is upon us.

EDIT: It's only January, but I'm voting for "Mont’au is upon us," as the best one-liner for 2018 on the A.T.T. forum.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Return to “General Discussion”