saviour protocols with shield drones

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Darthi
Shas

saviour protocols with shield drones

Post#1 » Jan 17 2018 11:54

Hi some different question than my other two. If I use saviour protocols with a shield drone can i use its inv save?

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Re: saviour protocols with shield drones

Post#2 » Jan 17 2018 12:12

No, because it takes a Mortal Wound.

It can, however, use it's "Feel No Pain" ability (on a 5+, ignore the wound)
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Darthi
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 17 2018 12:23

Ghostly Daemon wrote:No, because it takes a Mortal Wound.

They have a feel no pain :-?

Wes
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 17 2018 12:39

Darthi wrote:

Yes, they have a 5+ FNP. It's in the Xenos FAQ/updates. If a unit with the Savior Protocols ability takes a wound, that wound can be changed to one mortal one against the drone through savior protocols. It is one mortal wound instead of normal damage (so a lascannon would do one mortal wound to the drone through savior protocols instead of D6 or however many). A shield drone can further ignore any wounds on a 5+.
Last edited by Wes on Jan 17 2018 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

Darthi
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 17 2018 12:48

Wes wrote:
Darthi wrote:

Yes, they have a 5+ FNP. It's in the Xenos FAQ/updates. If a unit takes a wound, that wound can be changed to one mortal one against the drone through savior protocols. It is one mortal wound instead of normal damage (so a lascannon would do one mortal wound to the drone through savior protocols instead of D6 or however many). A shield drone can further ignore any wounds on a 5+.

Ok I was a Little confused because in The index stands that you allocate a wound. And there was nothing of a mourtal wound

Wes
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 17 2018 01:07

I definitely recommend you print a copy of the Xenos updates for Tau. The updates to savior protocol rules and shield generator rules are important. I'm sure the other Tau updates are important, too, but they haven't had an impact on my play yet.

steelmanf
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 18 2018 09:27

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata#40k-errata

Here is the link to the listing of all rules errata over at GW. Of interest to you will be the Index: Xenos 2 PDF, particularly page 1 in regards to Shield Generator abilities and Saviour Protocols.

At that link at the top is a link to a PDF to a more General rules errata that you might want to look through, but is unrelated to this current topic.

Hope this helps!

BibiFloris
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 18 2018 09:40

steelmanf wrote:
Here is the link to the listing of all rules errata over at GW. Of interest to you will be the Index: Xenos 2 PDF, particularly page 1 in regards to Shield Generator abilities and Saviour Protocols.

At that link at the top is a link to a PDF to a more General rules errata that you might want to look through, but is unrelated to this current topic.

Hope this helps!

Do NOT look at the official GW webstite they are always outdated. You can better go to the source of their publishing: Warhammer community website.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/
All praise the greater good or fall under its might.
Sorry for all of my English mistakes made and to make.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 18 2018 12:04

Which units have the FNP-Rule? Just all with keyword Drone?

If the same unit fires with two or more shots with the same weapon,
is the damage of both transformed in one mortal wound or does one of them kill the Drone and the second has to be taken by a second Drone or the target?

Thank you for your help :fear:

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 18 2018 12:11

Shas'O Ora wrote:Which units have the FNP-Rule? Just all with keyword Drone?

is the damage of both transformed in one mortal wound or does one of them kill the Drone and the second has to be taken by a second Drone or the target?

It's all explained in the FAQ.

Pages 53, 63 and 69
– Abilities
Add the following sentence onto the end of the MV52
Shield Generator and Shield Generator abilities:
‘In addition, roll a D6 each time a Drone with this
ability loses a wound; on a 5+ that Drone does not lose
a wound .’
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Wes
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 18 2018 12:24

Shas'O Ora wrote:Which units have the FNP-Rule? Just all with keyword Drone?

Only shield drones have a FNP.

It's based on the wound rolls. Lets assume the opponent has a unit with 3 shots, where each wound has the ability to do two damage.

The opponent rolls three dice for hit rolls. One misses and two hit. The opponent then rolls two dice for wound rolls. Both wound.

Option 1: You decide to have your unit tank these shots without savior protocols. Unfortunately, your unit fails two armor saves. The two wounds become four damage.

Option 2: You decide to use savior protocols for both wounds. The two wounds now become only two mortal wounds. It is only two mortal wounds, not four damage. If you have only gun drones, two drones die. If you have only one gun drone nearby, you can only savior protocol for one wound. The other hits the original target and does normal two damage. However, let's say you have one shield drone nearby. You can pass off one wound as one mortal wound to the shield drone, and take ONE FNP save. If the drone passes the FNP, you can then pass off the second wound as one mortal wound and attempt to FNP that as well. You have to do these individually, because if he dies to the first one he's not there to absorb the second. So, using savior protocols, the drone only has to FNP two mortal wounds, NOT four damage.

Or more simply, passing wounds off with savior protocols comes after the wound roll, and only the number of wounds pass over as one mortal wound for each instead of the regular damage.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jan 18 2018 01:09

Just did not know that this 5+ save is this FNP-Rule.
But thank you for pointing it out. :D

Thanks Wes for the Explanation. Now I got it :fear:

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jan 18 2018 01:25

Shas'O Ora wrote:

If you are a new player this can be very confusing. The FNP thing is jargon from previous editions where all of these special saves that happen after the armor save were a single rule called "Feel No Pain". The community has taken to calling these similar rules by that, even though they each now technically have their own name. For example, the Death Guard/Nurgle version is called Disgustingly Resilient.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jan 18 2018 02:21

QimRas wrote:
Shas'O Ora wrote:

If you are a new player this can be very confusing. The FNP thing is jargon from previous editions where all of these special saves that happen after the armor save were a single rule called "Feel No Pain". The community has taken to calling these similar rules by that, even though they each now technically have their own name. For example, the Death Guard/Nurgle version is called Disgustingly Resilient.

Yes, they traded the less confusing fewer rule system of USR's (universal special rules) to a more complex very individual and specific to each unit ruling in the name of simplifying the game. :-? Very confused why they couldn't continue with USR's and just MODIFY each one if they want things to be more tailor made to each unit.

Wes
Shas

Post#15 » Jan 18 2018 02:32

Yojimbob wrote:
QimRas wrote:
Shas'O Ora wrote:

Yes, they traded the less confusing fewer rule system of USR's (universal special rules) to a more complex very individual and specific to each unit ruling in the name of simplifying the game. :-? Very confused why they couldn't continue with USR's and just MODIFY each one if they want things to be more tailor made to each unit.

My understanding is that many players felt like the armies were losing their individual flavor and that it felt sterile. So GW simplified a lot of the mechanics but also brought back some fluff into the rules.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jan 19 2018 02:38

Wes wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:
QimRas wrote:

My understanding is that many players felt like the armies were losing their individual flavor and that it felt sterile. So GW simplified a lot of the mechanics but also brought back some fluff into the rules.

You also don't need to carry a glossary to each game as each units rules is explained in their unit entry.

Take the ghostkeel for example in this edition all his rules are on his page in 7th his stats and options were on his page and at the side it literally has this(I have the codex infront of me)
Wargear
Ghostkeel Battlesuit (pg125)
Fusion collider (pg118)
Ghostkeel electrowarfare suit (pg122)
Holophoton countermeasures (pg 123)
Twin linked Flamer (no page ref here you're expected to know what a twin linked Flamer does

Special rules
Ghostkeel Shas'vre
Fire team (pg116)
Stealth (again you're expected to know what it does)
Supporting fire(pg116)

If you ever got stuck or confused mid game finding what information you needed could take a few minutes where now basically everything you need for a unit is on its page much better imho

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jan 19 2018 03:10

Nymphomanius wrote:
Wes wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:

You also don't need to carry a glossary to each game as each units rules is explained in their unit entry.

Take the ghostkeel for example in this edition all his rules are on his page in 7th his stats and options were on his page and at the side it literally has this(I have the codex infront of me)
Wargear
Ghostkeel Battlesuit (pg125)
Fusion collider (pg118)
Ghostkeel electrowarfare suit (pg122)
Holophoton countermeasures (pg 123)
Twin linked Flamer (no page ref here you're expected to know what a twin linked Flamer does

Special rules
Ghostkeel Shas'vre
Fire team (pg116)
Stealth (again you're expected to know what it does)
Supporting fire(pg116)

If you ever got stuck or confused mid game finding what information you needed could take a few minutes where now basically everything you need for a unit is on its page much better imho

I agree that the new method is better for gameplay. The only part that is confusing is that the community still says things like FNP when technically that rule no longer exists.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jan 19 2018 04:16

QimRas wrote:I agree that the new method is better for gameplay. The only part that is confusing is that the community still says things like FNP when technically that rule no longer exists.

I get that but aslong as everyone knows what it means it's easier because it sums up the effects of dozens of "different" rules that all do the same thing

For example a T'au Commander can technically get a 3+ armour save a 4+ invulnerable save a 6+ save from stimulant injector a 6+ save from sense of stone and a 6+ save from tenacious survivor. So it's easier to class all 3 of those 6+ saves as FNP to save time.

Edit: didn't realise I'd deleted the end of the quote box, now fixed
Last edited by Nymphomanius on Jan 19 2018 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”