Childhood player returning to the blue commies.

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Shas[O]Udas
Shas

Childhood player returning to the blue commies.

Post#1 » Jul 17 2017 06:18

Real first name: Tom

Age and gender: 25 M

Occupation: Soon to be employed... hopefully. Head coach for PENTA Sports Rainbow Six Siege team on the side.

How did you get into wargaming?

Dabbled for 6 months or so 10 years back when I was much shorter. Always had a supreme interest in tactical games.

How did you get into Tau?

Memory is a little murky on this one. I think it may have been through the Firewarrior FPS game, compared to the other factions the tech [prowess of the race appealed to me; along with the army ideal of setting up long-range firing lines and using mobility to keep kiting the enemy.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?

What is your Tau colour scheme?

Vior'la / Urban Schemes / Black & Yellow. Haven't painted since I played so will be attempting a simple Vior'la scheme.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?

Been a long time lurker over the past years as I've infrequently checked the site every few years as my interest peaked in the game before realizing I didn't have the money/time to dive back in.

What are the origins of your ATT username? ... This is actually my gaming nickname.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules? Yes... three times now. I hope there isn't a passcode :dead:

Where and how often do you usually play? Haven't had the chance to play yet. Looking to get into semi-competitive scene locally once I've built my 2k list. If anyone knows a tournament circuit local to Bristol let me know! (I have recently moved from Essex).

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?

None currently. If my interest continues i'm thinking about building an army which has a completely different playstyle. Melee Horde Nids / Wall of Metal Necrons / Mix of Imperium (SM, Grey Knights, Scions, AD). Also a DnD player.

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?

Back in the day when I was running 500/1k matches against my childhood friend he would field deep-striking melee Space wolves every game vs me (Only had troops and crisis suits). Painful memories.

The way im building my new list I think I would love to play against low mobility armies.

What is your best and worst 40K moment?

Abusing crisis suits which can move shoot and move back behind LOS blocking cover. Worst would be getting derp-strike'd and getting mowed down.

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'? Completely uninterested. Perhaps i can convince a few to play and change their minds when/if I build a second compet army.

What are some of you other interests?

I coach an esports team in Rainbow Six Siege. Guitar.

Do you have any pets?

N/A

What is your favourite band?

You cant pin me down to a single band. Audiophile here, favourite band changes every week. Some examples:

-Prog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgXZozc7nuA
-Jap Hip-Hop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAH7CLUmvhE
-Industrial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9r2qeouiQ
-Jazz/Soul: https://youtu.be/lSU1eFxgr68?list=LLNRc ... ke_ZuUkq0A
-Future Trap?: https://youtu.be/4d3C3IfUd60
-Good o'l Khorne music: https://youtu.be/Kf4QUdQ3qoM

My "first" 8th Tau Semi-Compet List

Somewhat bastardized elements from different lists.

--------------[Battalion Formation + Outrider Formation {2002 points}]--------------
7 CP
---------------------------------------------<HQ>----------------------------------------------

> Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight {42p}
> Commander w/ 4xFusion Blaster {160p}
> Commander Coldstar w/ ATS & Drone controller {147p}
> Longstrike w/ Railgun, SMS, 2xSeeker Missiles {225}

--------------------------------------------<Elite>--------------------------------------------

> Ghostkeel w/ CIR, 2xBC, TL, ATS, 2 Stealth Drones {181}
> Ghostkeel w/ CIR, 2xBC, TL, ATS, 2 Stealth Drones {181}

-------------------------------------------<Troops>------------------------------------------

>Strike Team, 10 man squad with 1 markerlight {83}

---------------------------------------<Fast Attack>----------------------------------------

>Pathfinder Team, 5 man squad w/ 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone {48p}
>Pathfinder Team, 5 man squad w/ 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone {48p}
>Tactical Drones, 8 Gun Drones {64p}
>Tactical Drones, 8 Gun Drones {64p}
>Y'Vahra suit, ATS, TL {412p}

-------------------------------------<Heavy Support>-------------------------------------

>Hammerhead Gunship, Railgun, 2 Gun Drones, 2 Seeker missiles {181}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts for this list:

Fireblade creates a buff bubble for the 30 firewarriors + PAC drones. Coldstar can be deployed amid this bubble to allow them to advance and still shoot to get into a good position if they're deployment position is sub-optimal. From what i have read on other sites (and not here :S) the fireblade buff allows the warriors to shoot 4 attacks at half distance.

Longstrike and his hammerhead buddy hold the backfield and can provide 4 mortal wounds if needed to polish off an important enemy.

Y'vahra and Ghostkeel take the fight to the enemy with high mobility and a lot of Dakka {Deployed defensively vs a Deepstrike melee army). The gun drones advance with the coldstar (buffed by DC) and either hamper a flank weak to S5 spam or support the Y'vahra & Ghostkeel with their ablative wounds. The Coldstar can peel off for objective positioning if required.

QFB Commander is my hail mary if possible to nuke something big.

Appreciate any feedback as I've been away from the game for a LONG time and i'm not familiar with the various mission types. Would have loved to have brought more gun drones, might drop the QFB Commander for more of them. I am also fearful of over-advancing beyond the support of my markerlights. Please rip my theory crafting apart and critique.

Lil_misfit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Childhood player returning to the blue commies.

Post#2 » Jul 17 2017 06:23

Welcome to the site! Just wanted to give a fellow newcomer a warm welcome. :D
Most of my stuff is here!

Shas[O]Udas
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 19 2017 04:40

Cheers Misfit =]

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 19 2017 05:38

Welcome! I like your list, it's clear your paying attention to the meta around here!

One thing though- taking those Pulse Accelerators, you're risking giving up First Blood for tiny bonus to range. Worth it?

Shas[O]Udas
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 20 2017 05:24

Somewhat banking on using LOS blocking terrain to hide the PAC Drones but obviously that's situational. Not so feasible i guess if they're deepstriking to tie the troops up in melee 1st turn. Perhaps if I'm to invest in the PAC drones I should pick up 4x4 Kroot Hound packs to deny that.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 20 2017 06:26

Shas[O]Udas wrote:Somewhat banking on using LOS blocking terrain to hide the PAC Drones but obviously that's situational. Not so feasible i guess if they're deepstriking to tie the troops up in melee 1st turn. Perhaps if I'm to invest in the PAC drones I should pick up 4x4 Kroot Hound packs to deny that.

Remember the buff range for the Pulse Accelerator Drone is pretty small- unless you get a really clever deployment, and can put the Drone behind a tall wall or something, you can definitely hide it from LoS. However, your Pathfinders would also need to deploy there and be unable to see. Unless you model for advantage and don't put the Drone on a flying stand, I doubt you'll be able to find the cover you need every battle. Just thinking.]

Also, remember that the goal is to minimize easy-to-kill tiny units! :P So those Kroot Hounds would have exactly the same problem.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 20 2017 06:47

Woooooo!

Welcome back to 40k

Return to “Membership Profiles”