[Profile] Wolfs16 <Orks for Sale!>

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Wolfs16
Fio'El

[Profile] Wolfs16 <Orks for Sale!>

Post#1 » Feb 06 2010 12:49

Real first name:
Jacob

Age and gender:
26, Male

Computer Repair Technician

How did you get into wargaming?
Started in December of '07 with Battle for Macragge. I was inspired to start 40K after reading about it on a website I frequented. I remembered passing a GW store when I was little and thinking the Space Marines looked cool, but years later it was the Tyranid that first attracted me to 40K. My collection began with that meager starter set and later would grow to the point that my means of storage (a shoebox) would not be enough. As time went on, I fell in love with the Tau and have had to share my heart between the Great Devourer and the Greater Good.

How did you get into Tau?
On the aforementioned website, the guy was into the Tau and had a link to a picture of a group of Stealth Suits he just finished. I instantly loved the look and eagerly searched for more. Then I read the Tau background I was hooked. Their world view is similar to my own and they really struck a cord in me creatively. While I like the 40K universe, there are parts I don't like. Basically, anything having to do with Chaos is repellent to me (they really give me the creeps). So when I discovered a race that had no attachment to the Warp and was more sci-fi based than fantasy, I knew I found the race for me.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
Be patient and start small. Build up your experience with each unit till you have a good understanding of how it functions in the greater Tau war machine. Also, make choices in your army based on background. Don't be afraid to take a supposedly sub-par unit. Even though it may have a hard time, when you do win it will be even sweeter!

What is your Tau colour scheme?
That would be my beloved ARC-16's:

CURRENT UNIFORM SCHEME:

And here is a link to my project log!

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
I searched "Tau Tactics" in Google and came across this site. I joined in the August of '07 and have been a member ever since.

What are the origins of your ATT username?
Many, many years ago I was making my first email address. I could not think of one, so I just put the word "wolf" in there. Obviously, that was taken, so I tried throwing an "s" on the end. That too was taken, so I threw "16" at the end. Badda bing, badda boom, I have a new name that I would continue to use online to this day.

Have you reviewed the ATT Primers?
Yes and so should everyone else. It is essential to getting the most out of ATT.

Where and how often do you usually play?
At the moment, I don’t really have an opponent. I tried to get one of my close buddies into it, but he didn’t want to have to invest the time and money. Plus, everyone I know it getting married so it throws off their free time. I do enjoy a bit of Vassal 40K, but I only play with mini's I have or more often, the ones I have finished painting. Because of real life obligations, my hobby time is usually regulated to late nights or whenever I can fit it in, so it's hard to set up any kind of game.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
As I said, the Tyranid always have a place in my heart after playing Zerg for so long in Starcraft. I still love my Nids, but they are on the back burner till me Tau are done. You can find a link to my old Tyranid project log here.

Here are some conversions I'm most proud of:
This is my Organic Jetpack Flyrant. The jets aren't meant for sustained flight, but rather a boost to let him act as Jump Infantry. This was my first really complicated conversion. It looks a little rough, but I still am proud of all I did on it.

Here was my other major conversion which I never finished:
This was my first big Green Stuff project and I think I did a really good job! :D The reason the project stopped was because I lacked the skills needed to make some plasticard carapace and I began to lose my patience. I planned on building a few extra layers of carapace on his lower back and toward his neck. I will have to give him another go at a later time.

Once my Tau are done, I plan a big overhaul on these guys. Now that my skills have improved, it should be pretty good!

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
I have only had battles against Marines, Nids and Tau. But I really enjoyed fighting against Marines, since they are so tough. I haven't really had many battles, so I can't say I've found one that I don't like.

What is your best and worst 40K moment?
Best would be when a squad of 10 Kroot in ruins were charged by a 5 man Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield Salamander Terminator Squad. Unfortunately for the Termies, they rolled a 1 for a difficult terrain roll. The next turn, my Kroot rapid fired and killed 4 of them (All 1's for armor saves!). Then in my opponents turn the last Termie assaulted and killed 2 Kroot. But he was then taken out in a flurry of blades and claws. Victory for everyone's favorite cannibalistic birds! :fear:

My worst would be when my Commander took a hit from a Hive Tyrants Venom Cannon on Turn 1 and was Instant Death'ed. Then each suit was systematically wiped out through the same method. I could not pass an armor save against that Tyrant! :dead:

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?
I am completely alone in my love for the hobby; none of my friends are into it. And because of its geeky nature, I am often hesitant to bring it up in conversation with people. But my family is okay with it. Some are really impressed by the creativity and painting skills, while others do not mention it. It seems to be the elephant in the room that no one wants to bring up. :D

What are some of you other interests?
I enjoy music, snowboarding and reading. I do play a bit of the Star Wars miniature game, which is fun, but the mini’s look HORRIBLE!

Do you have any pets?
Sadly, I recently had to put down my dog. She was very good to me and I will miss her. But I am grateful that I have had the chance to raise her and have learned so much.

What is your favourite band?
Ooh that's a good question. My favorite band of all time would be Ben Folds Five. Other bands would include, The Decemberists, Cake, Okkervil River, Death Cab for Cutie, Jets to Brazil and other great indie music.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O

Re: [Profile] Wolfs16

Post#2 » Feb 06 2010 12:56

Hiya Wolfs16, welcome to ATT - well, ok, I know - you've been here a while ;) :P .

Good to get to know a bit about you, and those Nid conversions are good.

Continue to enjoy your stay with us!

E.

Wodai
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 06 2010 03:29

Wolfs16..Who's that? :-?

Jokes aside, congratulations on your, if I may say much over due, promotion! :biggrin:

Sinc.
Wodai

Null
Fio

Post#4 » Feb 06 2010 05:43

:D Big Congrats Wolf16! Truly well deserved

Fraggle
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Feb 07 2010 01:43

Hi, welcome to ATT, enjoy your stay!
Remember, as a 'saal, you can onl....

...Oh, wait...

Congratulations on the promotion, Shas'Vre!

Didi et Gogo
Kor'Vre

Post#6 » Feb 08 2010 01:43

I think I can say, I was wondering when this promotion would happen. It was only a matter of time. Congratulations to you Wolf, and to the staff for recognizing your amazing contributions!

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El

Post#7 » Feb 08 2010 04:01

Congratulations Wolfs16,

it's well deserved and I hope you keep up the good work!

Siyath
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 09 2010 03:22

Congrats from here as well.

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Feb 09 2010 05:55

Didi et Gogo wrote:I think I can say, I was wondering when this promotion would happen. It was only a matter of time. Congratulations to you Wolf, and to the staff for recognizing your amazing contributions!

Ditto :biggrin: Again, congrats wolf!
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Ka'nan
Shas

Post#10 » Mar 03 2010 11:31

I may be new, but I have been lurking around this site for some time before signing up, and I really admired your works!
congratulations on your promotion, Shas'Vre! by the Greater Good, may you shine on!
My other 11 armours are also Battlesuits...

Return to “Membership Profiles”