Tau Bastion

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Prophet224
Shas'Saal

Tau Bastion

Post#1 » Jul 15 2017 05:21

So I've been working on this and it is coming out ok but I'm getting frustrated and hoping someone here will know how to fix my problem.

Here's a view of the current structure:

The center column is smooth because it is all PVC pipe and fittings (with a LED push-light on top), but the sides not so much:

Note the bumps and ridges and weirdness. Those pieces are made of cut green foam (not the plant foam obviously). I covered it with Mod Podge and painted the foam.

It's driving me nuts because it just doesn't look good. I mean from a distance it is decent (I think) but when you get close... <shudder>

I've got more painting to do, more decals, and the tall foam piece (infantry exit and battle elevator) are getting an extension up to the top. I also cannibalized some of the tau footers for something else and need to order bigger ones. But I'd like to figure out how to make the foam look better.

Help? :-) Thanks in advance!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tau Bastion

Post#2 » Jul 15 2017 07:58

Sandpaper. Sandpaper is what you need :)
The days of goodly English is went

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 15 2017 08:05

Sandpaper...you can't live with it, and you work without it!

The TauMan
PS Love it so far!
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#4 » Jul 15 2017 09:28

Every time I think something looks like crap, I stand up and look at it from 2-3 feet away, because that's how far you're seeing it if you're playing a game or looking at a diorama. If it looks good at that distance it's fine. No one gets up real close to every single piece when judging dioramas, ain't nobody got time fo dat!
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#5 » Jul 16 2017 11:39

If it really really bothers you (not me ;) ) then you could use a layer of 1mm plasticard over the top to give a smooth surface. Quick and fairly cheap...

10 sheets of A4 size for £11.45 on eBay...

Prophet224
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 17 2017 01:27

Thanks folks!

So it comes down to sandpaper or a card covering... I actually did start by sanding it and not much changed; I thought I was just doing something wrong. Now that I think about it I bet most of the problem I'm seeing isn't the foam at all but the way the mod podge shows up on it.

Which still comes back to sandpaper or card covering. I had some glossy heavy paper stock that I used in one spot and it was ok, but I'll see about plasticard and then try sanding it while I'm waiting! :-)

Thanks again! More pics to come once I figure this out.

bobby hostile
Shas

Post#7 » Jul 17 2017 01:52

For things like that, I would use balsa wood as a "core" and cover it with plasticard. Either that or forego the balsa wood.

Personally, I would use balsa. Cut a piece about 1/8 narrower than what you need on the upright, then use plasticard to cover it the full width. That way the card gives you a bit of a "concave" area you can use to glue to the side of the PVC.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 17 2017 02:16

you could try coating it with a thin layer of sheetrock(or drywall) mud which is easy to smooth out and will take paint nicely once sanded smooth. When sanding, what sand paper you use is important to the finish, start with something rough like 60 grit and then move up to 120 then something in the 200 range. The lower the number the rougher the paper, so its good for taking off unsightly bumps, but it will leave obvious marks which is why you need to use a couple different sizes of grit.

davethepak
Shas

Post#9 » Aug 04 2017 01:20

I can second (or third?) the 'clad it in plasticard' comments. I have had success with that before, when I could just not get a smooth surface out of a piece of building I was working on.

best of luck!

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 04 2017 02:05

Why not cover it in plastic card? Smoother and better looking.

Also. How did you build it?

Return to “Modelling”