"Breakwater" Prototype Auxiliary Broadside

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

"Breakwater" Prototype Auxiliary Broadside

Post#1 » Jul 22 2013 09:56

Hey guys,

I've been cooking up an idea for a battlesuit for my B'Tavi auxiliaries, while also rebuilding my broadsides in the more efficient missile-side configuration.

The result of much scribbling on pads is my latest WIP:

For reference, this is one of the auxiliaries the suit is supposed to be for:

It could use a bit more work, but this project is basically ready.
Last edited by BabaGanoosh on Jul 29 2013 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

Harlequin2
Shas'La

Re: Prototype Auxiliary Broadside

Post#2 » Jul 22 2013 10:10

That's amazing! I must admit, I always felt that you B'tavi looked a bit too tyranid-like (my own personal thoughts), but I think you nailed it with the Broadside. It looks way better than the oven-mitt model with currently have for missile-sides.

One minor gripe is that I think it'd look cooler without the crisis head, using the vent below it's current helmet as it's head instead, looking like his facing down and arching it's back to fire (good use of the flyer missile pods by the way).

Anyway, great job!

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 22 2013 10:22

Finding a decent head was definitely one of the toughest parts of putting this together. I had a few ideas but the angle of the head socket is very restrictive, and the vanilla crisis head was the only one I could modify to go in there right. The vent would be interesting but its just not headlike enough I think. I will at least be sprucing up the crisis head in the meantime.

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Post#4 » Jul 22 2013 10:46

Great work, BabaGanoosh. You did a magnificent job making that sketch into reality. It looks very houndish, predatory.

I have moved this thread to the Modelling subforum. Keep posting with honor -- Tau'va!

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jul 23 2013 08:08

Thanks for the move Lyi'ot,

This is a size comparison shot with the B'Tavi broadside next to a crisis suit and B'Tavi infantry model.

The next steps for the model are enhancing the head module, and adding superficial stuff like a targeting array for the dorsal missile pods. Also, basing this bad boy is going to be interesting, since he only just barely fits on a 60mm base.

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 24 2013 08:39

I did some thinking about unconventional head modeling last night, and this morning I whipped this up:

It's the tail end of an old seeker missile, with a Riptide head facing attached to the front and a small aerial from a broadside.

I also added a little sensor dish to the dorsal missiles.

What do you guys think? Is this better than the crisis suit head? Should it be bigger, or have something else attached?

Also, I should come up with a cool name for this guy. Does anyone who knows the Tau suit classification system have a suggestion for its designation? I'll also need a good Imperial reporting name (something nautical).

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jul 25 2013 10:38

I got a few suggestions for a name via PM, and thought of some myself. I'll have to decide between Narwhal, Bullfrog, Anchor, or Breakwater. What do you guys like?

Also, everyone wants to change the intake under the suits' head, either turning it into the head itself or removing it, etc. I think it makes the suit look tough there, but I'm probably weirder for it.

In the conceptual stages of this project I considered using two hips from the riptide kit to make a quadruped or 6-pegged mechanic by joining the hips together at their waist sockets, or for six legs joining them by some other joint, leaving the waist socket open fornleg use. I eventually went a different directionnbut I'm sure someone could do something with that; some kind of spidermech or something.

TheMeanDM
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 27 2013 01:49

All your image links are broken :(
I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Post#9 » Jul 27 2013 04:20

TheMeanDM wrote:All your image links are broken :(

I can see them just fine? Maybe the image server went down for a bit earlier, but they're back now.

TheMeanDM
Shas

Post#10 » Jul 28 2013 08:56

Back to working...very cool! :D
I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

Return to “Modelling”