KV128 Stormsurge - Arms

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
LimpWeanie
Shas

KV128 Stormsurge - Arms

Post#1 » Jan 07 2016 12:02

WIP of arms for the stormsurge. Arms are scratch built off of scaled up schematics of riptide arms. More to follow in the future.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Re: KV128 Stormsurge - Arms

Post#2 » Jan 07 2016 12:36

Wow! Those are amazing. How did you get all the details on the back of the forearms?

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#3 » Jan 07 2016 12:54

Nice!

We've all been waiting for someone to step up to the plate. I see you've started filling the command area, can we see more of that please?

Bitterman
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 07 2016 01:58

The "scaled up" arms - 3D printer, or...? The bubbles (which I'm sure you can fill) lead me to assume they were cast somehow, but I'm not sure how you'd cast something larger than the original.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#5 » Jan 07 2016 03:43

Bitterman, I have never tried this but I have read that molds can be expanded (or grown) up to 200%.
http://www.smooth-on.com/faq_display.php?faq_id=79

It blew my mind when I first read about it, but this could be a way to create BIG arms for the Stormsurge that approximate the Riptide arms. One would of course have to create a facsimile of the Riptide arms to create the larger items. Otherwise I think that is considered IP theft, or some sort of infringement.

LimpWeanie
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 07 2016 04:00

The arm and shoulder were created almost entirely with hand cut parts. They were molded and cast using smooth-on products, nothing pretty but usable with a little work. Back rocket mounts are my own design and will be molded once ready. Shoulder pads are also in the works as I'm not quite satisfied with the arms by themselves.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#7 » Jan 07 2016 04:06

Bitterman wrote:The "scaled up" arms - 3D printer, or...? The bubbles (which I'm sure you can fill) lead me to assume they were cast somehow, but I'm not sure how you'd cast something larger than the original.

Click on his image, you will see the other images and the custom made arm with plasticard and plastic bits.
EDIT:
Ninja'ed by OP...

Bubbles can be eliminated in casting by some means:
- Not stirring too rapidly the resin (cavitation leads to bubbles created in the liquid resin)
- precoat the mold with a thin layer of resin before closing the mold and fill it with the rest of resin
- small quick hits on the filled mold to detach bubbles of the mold
- put the mold in a vacuum pump to suck the bubbles out

modelglue wrote:Bitterman, I have never tried this but I have read that molds can be expanded (or grown) up to 200%.

One of my stealth legs mold (created in silicon mastic for bathrooms) shrunk by 20% three month after being created and I used it to create Firewarrior sized Stealth legs for a Fireblade.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#8 » Jan 07 2016 04:59

That looks amazing! Seeing how much thought went into this so far is making me smile. Eagerly waiting for more :D

Onos
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jan 08 2016 12:31

I don't like so much Stormsurge battlesuit, the lack of arms is disturbing for me, but in this version, with arms that you built, it is really REALLY COOL!!! Very inspiring work!!!

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jan 25 2016 11:09

From :http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21662&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=220

An another optional look and approach for the canopy.

Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Redback
Por

Post#11 » Jan 25 2016 01:31

Now how did you do that?

redtide
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 25 2016 01:39

That looks really good! Do you have additional photos you can share? I really like your idea and I'm hoping to copy it with mine, if you don't mind. =)

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jan 25 2016 02:35

I will add more Photos to my log here later. There is a side by side under [Project] Stuff from the Forge. I will write up a step by step to if there is enough interest.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

LimpWeanie
Shas

Post#14 » Jan 27 2016 12:31

More work done. Couldn't decide on a pose so I magnetized most of the arm joints. Rocket mounts and shoulder pad were finally successfully cast.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jan 27 2016 12:56

Amazing job! I really like the shoulder pad. I couldn't come up with a suitable version for my Stormsurge with arms. Your work is exemplary and you do the Empire a great service

Shas'o Sithe
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jan 27 2016 01:38

What material do you use for your cast?

Warhound
Shas

Post#17 » Jan 27 2016 04:47

Just going to chime in here... Super tight work fella!

Looking forward to more shots ( and plan ones)

All the best

Warhound
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#18 » Jan 27 2016 05:35

Top class - your work is really showing up how good this suit looks as an enclosed, crewed, Super Heavy. Look forward to the next build shots - your modelling and resolution is great to read through.

Return to “Modelling”