Tael's Urban/Night Ops WiP Showcase

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Tael's Urban/Night Ops WiP Showcase

Post#1 » May 06 2008 10:02

Finally got a decent background setup, retook a lot of photos of my urban cadre for display. Previously they did not show off a lot of the subtle shading I did around lenses etc. A few folks know this collection well, for others, I hope you get some nifty ideas! :D

Also, this is a kick in the pants for me to finish my Urban 88 with PAC guns (Particle Accelerator Cannon)

Used very neutral scheme, lots of fiddly details and various modifications. I'm enjoying dusting up my models of late.

The Objectives :
Image Image
'Peeper' (Observation) as nicknamed by the gue'la and a buried (pop-up) armored Power Generator (Resupply)

Image Image
Spider drone, Mal'Caor'Al'Vesa (Observation)

Image Image
A defense objective. A field emitter that causes spectral and visual distortion. Providing cover for users.

Carbine assault team with combat engineer gear. Scanners, explosives etc..

Standard team with Pulse rifles and drones. Backbone of the infantry within the Combat Patrol.

The Heavy

Urban Modified 88 with PAC system and Plasma Rifles :

Close up on the PAC system :

More to follow as I reshoot the Patrol.

~ Tael.

dark_gear
Shas

Re: Tael's Urban/Night Ops WiP Showcase

Post#2 » May 06 2008 10:15

Not too much to say except WOW!

Seriously Tael critique wise there is nothing I would see changed in here. The lenses are very well done, and the companion purple glow is very VERY nice touch. The subtlety of the effect is really what makes it so good as it goes "just" far enough.

The landing gear turned into a field generator idea might just have to be "borrowed". Personally, you get my vote to get this showcase stickied right away.

Keep on inspiring us with your painting skills,

Dark_Gear

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#3 » May 06 2008 10:26

these are very good, an excellent scheme perfectly done with great conversions to boot.

Is there anything Tael can't do?
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

J8
Shas

Post#4 » May 06 2008 10:35

I was just 2 hours ago looking at the various WIP threads for these as I noticed I didn't have them in my inspiration folder, if only I had waited they would have come to me. It's as if Tael can't do a bad piece of work.
http://aftermath-sector.com -- Worldwide Wh40k Campaign

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » May 06 2008 10:59

Thanks guys :) I shall set about finishing this Combat Patrol force asap.. few extras to add in yet.

As for can't do? ...plastic sniper drones..my variant got seriously bashed in the critique hahaha :D

Still figuring that build out for balance :)

~ Tael.

mangozac
Kor

Post#6 » May 06 2008 11:26

Really fantastic. I think optic glow should now be a de-facto standard on all models ;)

IMHO the field emitter doesn't look quite emitter-y enough but that's just nitpicking because I can't find anything else to critique! The urban XV88 is just perfect although his base seems a little unfinished.

D6Veteran
Shas

Post#7 » May 06 2008 11:35

Unbelievable stuff. The paint job gives a very heavy metal armor texture/looknfeel.

Love the spiders and the peeper.

Amazing. I'm envious and in awe.

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#8 » May 06 2008 11:47

by the way, noticed some changes...?

The glow has been upped a little and they've changed Sept from Sac'Ea to Vior'La?

Nice colour and textures on the bases too. A nice earthy orange, gives it a good dusty hue, did that prompt the Sept colour change?
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

Isotope
Shas

Post#9 » May 07 2008 12:08

Gosh:

That is brilliant. I think I just found the last bit of fluff to add to my fire warrior squads... a "Barricade".
Where do you come up with these ideas Tael? they're very clever! and fit so well into the Tau bits. :)

Yes sir. I'm making these, and casting them to make enough to go on my future display base!
Help make our Tau SoundBoard Great!

Ma'rk
Shas

Post#10 » May 07 2008 12:31

Wow your troops look really good! I particularly like the camouflage. And the little object markers are really neat. Any chance of some tutorials showing how you made those? Really good work! :)

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#11 » May 07 2008 01:00

What always amazes me about your work, Tael, is that, to me, they don't look like models. I don't know whether it's the precision modeling and painting or the professional photography, but I always get the impression that I'm looking at something that is life-sized. I guess that's the idea I'm grasping for-your work looks alive. Truly inspiring. :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#12 » May 07 2008 01:39

Thank you for all the very cool feedback :biggrin:

I'm going to get my act together and organise more of my stuff for a photo shoot and finish off the collection.

Alrighty Q and A :D

Tutorials?

Hmmm, not really.. but what I can post is a lengthy post from my White Dwarf article I wrote on these guys. Let me find the text file and edit it first and add some WiP photos :nice:

@Kai
Actually still Sa'Cea, orange sept markings. Possibly coming out red on your computer screen? All of us have different colour settings :)

@Mangozac
Bang on mate, haven't finished that base yet.. (hangs head in shame.... :? ) But! This is my cunning plan! publicly humiliate myself to encourage myself to finish the unfinished! huzzah :D

In finishing, a few Old School parts went into these models (particularly objectives) but that will be explained shortly. Also.. I'm going to take photos from behind the troops (forgot too) and of some of the plastic bits I use to bulk out their kit. Its one thing to tell, another to show the actual bitz :)

~ Tael.

Panhead
Shas

Post#13 » May 07 2008 03:47

Ahh, I love these guys so much. (nice lighting on the peeper, that wasn't visible in the old pictures right?)

There's really not much else to say besides that, except maybe finish the PAC suit ;)

Nice to see these again, it's a boost/drain on my painting an modeling enthusiasm :P
It's the imperfections that make something unique

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#14 » May 07 2008 04:29

This makes me want to make an urban cadre right away.
Such great ideas, conversions, painting, professionality, all in one cadre!
Excuse me, I'm going to stare at them for a while :P

stghoser
Shas

Post#15 » May 07 2008 08:50

That 88 with that PAC system is jsut awsome! I love it, and it makes a great addition to the Urban Stealth suit series.

Great Job! and I think that landing gear emitter is genius and great use of left over stuff.

As a side note, what exactly did you use for the PAC sys on the 88, if you don't mind sharing you secrets?

Thanks for the inspiration

Hoser
Why can't we all just get along?

Xeones
Shas

Post#16 » May 07 2008 10:07

I always did like these guys, and the new pictures definitely help them look their best. Truth be told, your XV88 there is the first impressive Tau conversion I ran across when I was just starting out in the hobby. It gave me a lot of good ideas about the sorts of modifications that could be done with a battlesuit and still gives me a lot to work toward in regard to originality and painting technique.

I've got to say I'm also a fan of your concept for the barricade as well. I came up with a similar idea when I was helping on the Dawn of War XP Mod team. We called it a Tau hunting blind. It temporarily projected a stealth field around all troops in a certain radius of its deployment. Anyway, your concept feels very Kau'yon and the model looks appropriate to it's task.

Bravo on all counts.
SPRUE FOR THE SPRUE GOD!!!

brainwashed
Shas

Post#17 » May 07 2008 12:43

I would love to know how you did your highlights. I'm trying for a 'realistic' highlight and I like how you did yours.

Any tips?

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#18 » May 07 2008 07:07

Hi guys,

Parts and wip's forthcoming, got sidetracked last night. I must admit Xeones, the Hunting Blind concept is kinda cool, I didn't sugges this device went that far, but I guess if a small device in an XV25 can hide a trooper, a device -this- big could project a temporary field to cover a whole team no?

The reshoot has picked up a lot of the highlights and light sourcing that we missing or blended in the first set. Much happier with these results.

The highlighting itself is very subtle, only a couple shades lighter than the base armor colour. I think this is what may give that near actual effect, anything too stark and it begins to look, well.. painted. The sufferance being that when taking photos, such highlighting technique tends to blend into the main colours and not be shown. :)

Here is a collection of images I've magnified to show you just how subtle (loving this new camera..)

Highlights :
Image Image
Shown here, I use a light shading then one 'Low' highlight, and a final 'High' light. Three all up. Thats all.
The firewarrior has very thin highlights particularly. I usually do a very light black wash (80/20 Paint/Water)

This is the Peeper, (top) First photo ever, then with the latter two showing the subtle light sourcing going on finally.
You can probably see too, the general lack of heavy highlighting on the canopy.

Parts :

This is a good group shot of the assault team, you can see all the Warhammer Fantasy Crossbow Dwarf Plastic kit bags, emblems shaven back to be Tau discs. The large grenades are in fact Smoke charges from the IG Tank Accessory kit (new version).

Image Image
Close up wip on the shas'ui, you can see the greenstuff and the various kit added in lieu of his pose, so as not to over balance the model's 'look'. The smaller kit bag is from the Fantasy Imperial Cannon crew sprues.

Hope these help :)
~ Tael.

Return to “Galleries”