I'm afraid of painting Tau tanks.

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Re: I'm afraid of painting Tau tanks.

Post#19 » Aug 11 2017 04:46

Shi'ur wrote:Acrylic paints are opaque, meaning that they are slightly translucent, and thus colors underneath will effect the look/brightness of the finished color.

Sorry, I don't mean to distract from what was a well thought out, detailed and helpful post. But opaque and translucent mean different things.

Opaque means someting that blocks light from passing through it, whereas translucent means something that allows a little bit of light through, just not enough to see details though it. There is also transparent which os where your dad is now also your mum.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » Aug 11 2017 06:09

The biggest problem is getting the consistency just right to get a good flow but no runs (which are a massive pain on our tanks). I find you should be aiming for at least 3 coats, maybe even 5 or more depending on your colour, if you want a smooth finish. Try to be as smooth and thin as possible, that matters more than coverage. It may look splotchy at first, but it will start coming together in a smooth finish eventually.

I also find airbrush thinner helps with flow too, better than water at least, though your results may vary (I use Vallejo's, mostly because it's way cheaper than GW's thinners). Of course an actual airbrush makes this all much easier than a brush ever could be (I'm planning on stripping down my tanks in favour of airbrushing as it has worked wonders on my flyers) but that requires a lot more investment.

Oh and a useful tip if you're painting white: don't. Yet to find a white paint that doesn't suck. Instead a very pale grey looks better (and they often seem to flow better I find), and you can leave the white for any highlights, so you can minimise the time spent dealing with it. Hope that helps!

DancinHobo
Shas

Post#21 » Aug 11 2017 06:42

I use ceramite white for my white. I prime the model with black, than i spray coraxe white as a base coat. I than only need 2 layers at most to get a nice coat.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Aug 11 2017 08:50

Why all the hate on white paint? :dead:

If your airbrushing - using the Army Painter's grey as a primer and airbrushing on Tamiya flat white will only take one spray coat of paint.

If you're hand painting the colour white, then a lighter grey primer is necessary. And then you will need two or three coats of whatever white paint your using will be necessary. No need to use a "thinner" as water works just as well. If you see brush strokes in on the surface, add a little water to the paint, and then let it dry. The water will smooth out the strokes in the paint in the drying process.

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Aug 11 2017 10:09

Razor blades , You shave paint clumps with or smooth out paint or fix mistakes. It's great for space marine shoulder trims etc.

The sharper the blade better results. I highly recommend it. You will be surprised at the results.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Aug 11 2017 11:13

Knives wrote:Razor blades , You shave paint clumps with or smooth out paint or fix mistakes. It's great for space marine shoulder trims etc.

The sharper the blade better results. I highly recommend it. You will be surprised at the results.

If you're thinning your paints properly and using a pallet (preferably a wet pallet) you will never get clumps of paint on your model in the first place.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Aug 12 2017 12:03

deathboon wrote:
Knives wrote:Razor blades , You shave paint clumps with or smooth out paint or fix mistakes. It's great for space marine shoulder trims etc.

If you're thinning your paints properly and using a pallet (preferably a wet pallet) you will never get clumps of paint on your model in the first place.

This is not true. Ever painted white or yellow. It congeals even when watered down to the extreme Especially if your painting and not airbrushing over a dark under coat.

So unless your using some magic paint that doesn't exist. Or airbrushing. Then I call bs. No offense but I have used over 5 different types whites watered down to the consists of watery milk. White and yellow pigment is grainy by nature especially the more you layer it.

They always clump. And when they do because they always do. I use a razor blade.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Aug 12 2017 05:35

My paint scheme is conventional Tau Sept ochre. Any tips on that, or should I just use an airbrush full of Tau Light Ochre?

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Aug 12 2017 06:37

Knives wrote:
deathboon wrote:

This is not true. Ever painted white or yellow. It congeals even when watered down to the extreme Especially if your painting and not airbrushing over a dark under coat.

So unless your using some magic paint that doesn't exist. Or airbrushing. Then I call bs. No offense but I have used over 5 different types whites watered down to the consists of watery milk. White and yellow pigment is grainy by nature especially the more you layer it.

They always clump. And when they do because they always do. I use a razor blade.

I have painted with both colors (using exclusively citadel paints) and while I've had paint congeal, it has always been on the pallet, never ever on a model. I always make sure to rinse my brushes regularly and use the pallet to make sure the paint will go on nice and smooth before it ever touches the model. I painted an entire army of white marines and used yellow extensively with my 1k Sons and never experienced the issue you describe.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Aug 13 2017 11:24

Knives wrote:
deathboon wrote:

Having your paint "never" congeal is obviously an exaggeration, though if you're using a wet palette it's really a LOT easier to keep your paint in proper consistency and fresh for much longer. Using already improves your painting quality on its own.

If you want to know how to build one just look up some youtube videos. There are tons of tutorials and it's quite easy to do for anybody.

Return to “Common Workbench”