[How To] Colored Metal (Like the Covenant in Halo )

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

[How To] Colored Metal (Like the Covenant in Halo )

Post#1 » Oct 27 2009 04:08

Ok, I wanted to do this article, but held off till I researched ATT to make sure no one had done this yet. Though, while researching, I did note that metal schemes are not a big favorite, but hey, even if you don't use it on your tau, it will work great with Necrons or Eldar. I use this method on the mechanised parts of my cadre, and I'm now using the second generation version of this technique which has much better results. I will be adding pictures to demonstrate the steps once I start working on my new hammerhead since it primarily will use this technique. So here it goes.

When doing a coloured metal scheme, such as green, blue, red, or what ever colour you think is best, you will need the following paints/washes:
1) Your basecoat colour. I use Choas black, but some people use white or grey.
2) A basic metal colour. Here, I use boltgun metal, but Mithril Silver will work juat as well.
3) Your colour in a wash. Since my army is green, I use Thraka green.
4) *Optional* Gloss. This is optional because it will depend on what effect your going for.

Step one:
- Apply your basecoat to the entire model.

Step two:
- Paint the areas your wish to be metalic in your metalic paint. Make sure to use a light coat and that the paint is not cloting or contains hardened chuncks, as this will eliminate the smooth texture/appearence of the metal areas when completed.

Step three:
- Apply your wash over the metal areas. This step will have to be repeated until the desired darkness is acheived. To give you an idea, for me to create a dark green similar to a dark angels green, it takes roughly 7-9 washes/coats. The advantage of the newer washes is that they do not blotch when they are applied. The older inks did, and it would require dry brushing to create a smooth appearence.

Step four (optional):
- Finally, once your final wash is dry, you will have a choice. If you choose to leave it as it is, you will have a nice dull metal look. But, to get a real shine out of your metal, you will need to apply a gloss over the metal area to create the shine. Lightly apply the gloss over the metal areas and your done.

Here are examples of the finished metal look on various Tau units:

In this picture, you can compare my metal look with Dark Angels green. The Guardsmen's armour is Dark Angels green:

As you can see, it comes out quiet nice, and you don't have to be an expert painter to have it come out nice. It does take time however due to the number of washes you may have to do. If your in no hurry to get your cadre on the table, doing the whole army this way would look nice and uniform. However, if unlike me, you play more than a game a year :P, keeping this style to just battlesuits and vehicles will work just as well.

And this scheme can easily be adapted to incorperate a camo feel by adding your camo style after doing the coloured metal. That way you can have the best of both worlds, metal and camo. Also, this will be my summer project, but I will be experimenting with alternating wash colours to create new metal colours, but if anyone tries this before me, post some shots here to show off your creations. C&C is welcome and I'd love to hear some input on this style.

Czar Ziggy
Last edited by Czar Ziggy on Nov 05 2015 09:25, edited 5 times in total.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Re: [How to] Easy colourful metal schemes

Post#2 » Nov 04 2009 09:41

Ok, as promissed, here are the examples of each stage. I'm a visual learner, so seeing it always helps me learn. So here is an example of each step.

STEP 1 (Basecoat):

STEP 2 (Metal coat):

STEP 3 (Wash coats / aprox. 8 coats of wash):

STEP 4 (optional/ gloss to make shine):

My camera isn't the best, so the gloss step image doesn't do the effect justice, but some of the other pics I've put up are better examples. Basically, if you don't do the gloss, you get a nice dull metal look. The gloss just gives it that nice "buffed" car look. This appraoch works for anything in the army and for me, was inspired by the armour/vehicles used by the Covenent in Halo. I hope this helps anyone thinking of doing a metal scheme.

Czar Ziggy

Bobzilla
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 05 2009 02:06

I never thought I'd say this about a metallic scheme on Tau, but I really like the look of these models!

You might also try looking for Tamiya clear paints; they achieve a similar effect over metallic paint as your washes, but they would probably take fewer coats to cover, and they are gloss paints, so you wouldn't need the extra gloss stage.

I'll try a couple of them out on some pieces and try to get some decent pictures tomorrow.

AbusePuppy
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 05 2009 08:16

This is a very cool technique I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere before. Those first couple of pics are kinda... blurry, but the latter ones look a lot better. The WIP shots showing how it looks at each step are especially nice to see.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 09 2009 03:52

Ok, it has been a while, but I finally finished the whole railhead. So here is the totally final product for your viewing pleasure.

Czar Ziggy

CyberPhoenix
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 09 2009 05:01

If I had used this back when I was doing Mithril Silver+Ice Blue for my Tau, then I'm sure they would have looked AWESOME!

Your pics are awesome Ziggy! Don't stop now!

wartang
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 09 2009 05:24

I love the paint job. Could I see some more of the crisi suit that is holding the guardmen?
W/D/L/JPDC
6/2/3/2

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Dec 09 2009 05:29

That is fantastic! I have never seen such a fantastic looking metallic Tau scheme. And what's more the process is sooooo simple it's crazy!

Czar Ziggy this is awesome work and I am going to pay it the ultimate compliment, I am going to blatantly plagiarise it! ;)

Starting with my war droid conversions and maybe some details on my tanks later on. I cannot wait to move house so I pull out my painting gear again and get to work on this.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#9 » Dec 09 2009 07:05

Thanks for all the compliments. I hope to see some other examples from the ATT community. Feel free to post them here. I'm glad this tutorial is simple to follow, which means I must have wrote it like I wanted to, lol. I can't take all the credit for this style, purhaps this version, but not the idea. I saw a member of a local GW use a similar process with the last generation of inks. Thats what got me doing all my mech and special units this way. My older units use the older way of this technique. It required dry brushing the ink, rather than this much easier liberal application I've shown with the new inks. I had to evolve to this method after they stopped making the old inks. So, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's works of art.

Czar Ziggy

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#10 » Dec 09 2009 11:01

Wartang, here are a few more shots of the Monat holding the guardsmen:

This seems to be one of my more popular models for some reason, lol. :crafty:

TristanHoag
Shas

Post#11 » Dec 17 2009 09:09

That is almost exactly the method I used for my Tau - but I washed with Dark Angels Green. I have found it to be an excellent method to get a very striking, clean looking minature!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2620/4100814972_1f843fbd3a_b.jpg

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#12 » Dec 17 2009 12:33

That is a good job! How many coats of Dark Angels green do you have to do to get that? I definitly like it! :D

Noxus
Shas

Post#13 » Dec 17 2009 04:50

Hey!!!!
really cool its great!

TristanHoag
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 17 2009 05:13

Czar Ziggy wrote:That is a good job! How many coats of Dark Angels green do you have to do to get that? I definitly like it! :D

Thank you! I typically use two coats of green, just because it tends to give it a nice, even coverage. I wash with black ink afterwards, too.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Re: [How to] Easy colourful metal schemes (Like Halo Covenant)

Post#15 » Oct 19 2011 02:24

Hey ATT! I just wanted to add to this that you can also use the technique with equipment for some more flavor to your army rather than using silver/bronze/gold for metals. Here are some examples of it as equipment.

Tau Scanner

Space Marine Power Sword

If you guys have some examples with this technique or another approach, post it here! If you use another technique, share how you do colored metal.

Czar Ziggy

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui

Re: [How to] Easy Colored Metal Technique (Like Halo Covenant )

Post#16 » Oct 19 2011 02:50

Very nice technique, I may have to steal it when 'crons are out :crafty: All credit goes to you of course :)
On a side note, how many pots of wash do you get through painting your tanks like that? I'm guessing a lot?
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#17 » Oct 19 2011 03:00

To tell the truth, I've lost count on the green...... :roll: At least 7-8 by now. I did try a red metal with my crons' and sadly, the regular red with gloss looked brighter.

Czar Ziggy

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Oct 19 2011 03:10

Ouch! That's gotta hurt your wallet. But it's such a good idea though... Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound as the saying goes.
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

Return to “Painting & Artwork”