Ryu's Tau Showcase/WIP thread

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Ryu's Tau Showcase/WIP thread

Post#1 » Feb 12 2011 11:43

Okay, I'd like a fresh opinion on some of my tau stuff as I'm not sure wether or not I've succeded in making them look gritty without being just outright dirty looking, so here are the pics.

A firewarrior I used to experiment with the idea of edging the armour and gun with white

A thoughtful looking broadside

One of my Shas'vre team leaders

...a kroot

And a Pathfinder with a green stuffed cloak

and now for something completely different, just because it's a really nice model...Lelith hespirax >.>

Kern
Kroot

Re: Ryu's Tau Showcase/WIP thread

Post#2 » Feb 13 2011 02:50

Great start for an army, nicely highlighted. I would however add some other color to the fire warrior's armour plating as right now, it looks rather dull... Same for the kroot! And don't forget your sept markings :smile:
I'm watching this one; the highlighting and washing is done great; you got the potential for sure!
Kern
As life flies past, you better grab it!

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Feb 13 2011 02:58

I'm going through my army working on sept markings which are tau ochre (as on the shas'vre and pathfinder)

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 13 2011 09:08

Your scheme is just like mine and I get how it can look a little dull, just do some sept markings and lense glows as well as highlights and you're good!

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 14 2011 04:38

I don't think the scheme itself looks dull, when i put the whole army on a table it looks quite striking

I don't get how to do lens glow and i'm not particularly bothered about it to be honest. I don't want my models to look all clean and perfect like the ones that 'eavy metal do. I prefer to think that my models look a bit like the grittier artwork.

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 14 2011 09:23

It is striking in every meaning of the word, I just think that at least adding a color to they lenses will pop a bit more and add that much more to the models, at least on the battlesuits.

fallschirmjager
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 15 2011 01:53

KuroRyu wrote:I don't get how to do lens glow and i'm not particularly bothered about it to be honest. I don't want my models to look all clean and perfect like the ones that 'eavy metal do. I prefer to think that my models look a bit like the grittier artwork.

You mean like making the lenses seem light is reflecting off them?

If so, since you're using red like me, I used scab red as the base colour of the lens, blood red was then put over the scab red - I tried to leave a small amount of scab showing through in one of the upper edges - and I saw this bit on the GW step-by-step but a dash of blazing orange down the bottom to add some contrast and a final speck of skull white on the showing piece of scab red to imitate the sunlight.
My Shas'La shall not fail.

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Feb 15 2011 06:21

Thanks for the help, I'll give that a go and see that happens

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Feb 16 2011 01:32

Okay, just repainted my devilfish

And made additons to my example fire warrior (my attempt at the lens glare and added sept markings)

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Feb 19 2011 03:28

I have for you perusement, two pictures of one of my stealth suits.

Also I've begun work on a diorama of the two tau in the corner page 13 of the codex including the dron just above them.

Lynu
Fio

Post#11 » Feb 19 2011 03:43

Hello KuroRyu!

I'm really liking the look of that stealth suit, especially the lens effect. Well done! My only suggestion for your figures (the FW in particular) is to pehaps add more accent color to break up the red. The Tausept Ochre sept stripes really stand out nicely (and the freehand is much, much better than mine :-( ), but maybe try adding a metallic color to the circular piece on the end of the FW's pulse rifle or to the T'au symbol on his shoulder pad. You don't have to, of course, just a suggestion ;) .

Overall your scheme is very striking. The models have a nice "gritty" feel to them. I have a sneaking suspicion that these look fantastic on a tabletop as well (do I hear a group picture?). A great start to a cadre.

Lynu
All opinions are of equal value.

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Feb 19 2011 03:52

They do indeed, I plan to post a group picture when I have several models at the standard you see here as the rest of my cadre was painted some 4 years ago and looks somewhat less... polished, shall we say hehe

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Feb 20 2011 10:00

Remember I said i'd do a diorama of the tau on P13 of our codex?
Well here's the results of last night's labour

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Apr 16 2013 07:21

It's been a while since I've posted here but with the new Codex I've pulled out my tau again and begun reorganising my forces. So here we are with my latest works and some older works that I never posted up.

I'll start with this little figure I did for a painting competition a while back. Sadly it lost on public vote but I still like the model and the idea no less.

Then we have improvements to my stealth suits including picking out gold on certain parts of their guns (which I've extended to most of my fire warriors) and more sept colours on the team leader.

And we have my newest addition to the cadre, My colour scheme was heavily influenced by Farsight, as some of you will no doubt have suspected. However I've never owned his model, with the new figure I felt now was the time to purchase him and he is also my first finecast purchase at that.

paidinfull
Shas

Post#15 » Apr 16 2013 08:58

very nice!
I see you and I went to the same photography school! :D

I like the diorama. Will you be doing more?
http://www.ironfistleague.com for games in NOVA/DC!

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Apr 16 2013 10:00

I've got one of Shas'la Kais that's i've been working on for years now based on the cover of the Firewarrior Game/Novel (with Kais kneeling on a pile of skulls) the only trouble is getting enough skulls to make the pile. XD

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Oct 14 2015 04:29

Earlier this year I picked up a model kit at an anime convention. I finally got around to assembling it and i'm pretty happy. It isn't painted yet but here is the assembled model.

[spoiler=]Image

That's right, I did the thing and got a Metal Gear Rex. It is my intention to paint it using the Desperado faction from Metal Gear Rising as inspiration so it'll feature Red/Grey/Black rectilinear camo. If i'm feeling brave i may try and paint their logo somewhere on it's head as well. Plans are to use it as a stand in for a stormsurge as it looks roughly the right size and actually has physreps for all its weapons except the destroyer missiles (which I can explain away by hiding them under some panel somewhere like all of rex's other missiles.)[/spoiler]

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Oct 14 2015 10:54

I finished painting REX. I was so excited I just couldn't stop working on it.

Decided in the end to be sparing with the red and make it mostly black/grey. I also made the attempt at freehanding the Desperado logo

Return to “Common Workbench”