ATT 2015's "Confusion" Challenge : The Replacements!

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

ATT 2015's "Confusion" Challenge : The Replacements!

Post#1 » Apr 02 2015 07:07

The battle had been won...the Lord Imotekh had been defeated.

Due to the mass losses and the poor state of the Orbital, no one cheered, no one smiled. The Warriors left remaining were demoralized, a cold dark sadness left in their hearts.

The deeds of the great heroes that fought, survived, and died in the battle for the Orbital would be remembered across the stars for eternity.

As bittersweet as the victory was, now was not a time for mourning. It was a time for rebuilding. It would take much time and great effort to repair what had been lost, even more to replace what had been taken.

The question is...what would we replenish the ranks with?

But within each Son or Daughter of the Tau race burned a Fire so fierce that they would live on and renew their spirits once again...

The challenge for this particular event is to create a single Tau infantry unit from the following list;
- Fire Warrior Team
- Kroot Carnivore Squad
- Pathfinder Team
- Drone Squadron (Of any type excluding Remora)
- Vespid Stingwings
- Sniper Drone Team

using one of the other units mentioned (excluding the one you are modeling) or a scratch built group of models you created yourself. Then write a piece of Fluff between 1-4 paragraphs explaining the units role in the Tau Empire and how they came to fall into that role.

The Guidelines -
- One entry per person. (Up to 3 images allowed)
- The unit must be of Tau Orientation. (Tau aesthetic)
- The unit must be game legal for it's codex entry (Correct unit composition including models and visible upgrades)
- The entries should be judged based on modelling creativity, painting and fluff.
- All ranks are eligible to enter, rewards to be given out to the top 3 highest voted entry's.

Example size of pictures:

The Challenge - begins at Midnight (4/3/15) and will last a duration of 60 days from then. (End date is midnight June 1st, 2015):
-The contest will last 60 days from the beginning date upon which entries are accepted to the closing date.
-Entries accepted from our own Fio'O Tael.
-The Member Poll will be opened for a duration of 3 days, and the winners will be announced on the following day.

The Prizes - under all legal entries, the top 3 highest voted entrants will receive the following:
-1st place will receive a Commander Farsight Model and one of Tael's Avatars.
-2nd place will receive an Ethereal Blister (random Ethereal) and one of Tael's Avatars.
-3rd place will receive one of Tael's Avatars.

Prize Models for the contest donated by myself (Blueshock)

Please send your entry to Tael. If for some reason you aren't able to do so, please contact myself or Tael and we will sort you out.

Example Entry for scratch built "count-as":

The Naga'la : to be used as "Fire Warrior Team"

"Enter fluff here"

FAQ's:

Q: Bases?
A: Models for your bases must be the required size as the unit you are creating replacements for. (4/2/15)

Q: Is there a limit of entries?
A: Yes, because it is quite a complex challenge, we only take one entry per contestant. (4/2/15)

Q: What if I enter a unit that I already have built before the challenge started?
A: As long as you have not shown any pictures of it yet, we will not be able to prove that you have built it before, so that is no problem. But in true competition spirit it would be better to build a new one. (4/2/15)

Q: Also, is everything in terms of painting fair game? i.e. airbrushing or other techniques/tools?
A: Absolutely. (4/2/15)

Q: Can we privately converse with another member of ATT/different forum (IE PM) about our project?
A: Yes. (it is also allowed to show Pictures to another member via PM to get feedback) (4/2/15)

Q: GW has always had the rule that you can up-size the base that the model originally came with, but not down size it. Is that okay with the challenge?
A: Yes. (4/2/15)

Q: Can I use an existing item to represent something else, for example a pulse pistol as a rail rifle?
A: Yes, but it must be converted. Just swapping them out and calling it something else is not enough. (4/2/15)

Q: Does the unit have to be painted?
A: This challenge is meant to be a conversion, painting, and fluff challenge (with emphasis on conversion and painting, less on fluff). While it is not required that a model be painted, an unpainted figure will likely hurt your chances of winning significantly. (4/2/15)

Q: Do members of the EU get some extra Time, because of the delayed delivery?
A: No, since this Challenge already has a far bigger time-frame than our earlier Challenges. (4/2/15)

I will be available daily over the duration of the event to answer Questions and will update in the FAQ as they are answered and date them. Feel free to pm me if needed, but remember this is designed to be fun, so use your imagination and be as creative as you can be. -Blueshock
Last edited by Blueshock on Apr 03 2015 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: ATT 2015's "Confusion" Challenge : The Replacements!

Post#2 » Apr 02 2015 07:58

Blueshock wrote:Fluff between 1-4 paragraphs explaining the units role in the Tau Empire and how they came to fall into that role.

For those of us who are from the other side of the Damocles Gulf. Are Enclaves units excluded?
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Apr 02 2015 08:32

Blueshock wrote:
The Guidelines -
- One entry per person. (Up to 3 images allowed)
- The unit must be of Tau Orientation. (Tau aesthetic)
- The unit must be game legal for it's codex entry (Correct unit composition including models and visible upgrades)
- The entries should be judged based on modelling creativity, painting and fluff.
- All ranks are eligible to enter, rewards to be given out to the top 3 highest voted entry's.

Would a model that had an aesthetic between that of a Kroot and a Tau Fire Warrior or Pathfinder be acceptable?

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Apr 02 2015 08:57

They can look however you want them to as long as they represent one of the units listed. That includes Enclaves units that are on that list.
To nip this question in the butt before it becomes an issue...No, battlesuits count-as are not included on the acceptable units list. You must create a unit to represent the units listed in the acceptable units list.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Apr 03 2015 12:16

Look forward to your creativity all :)

Big thanks to Blueshock for his support and the team whom nutted out the details!

Modelglue
Czar Ziggy
Da Skyman
ARC Thunder
Kael'yn

- Tael.

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Apr 03 2015 08:38

Ah, the perfect challenge to me get back to the workbench and crank out another Alien Auxiliary team!

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Apr 03 2015 11:11

I'm doing the revere.

Long have I waited for an excuse for making them, but as they are unplayable I never bothered.

Soon the Harbingers will deploy their newest battlesuit, the XV17 strike suit (vespid count as)

EDIT:

Lets see...I'll need...

*teasers censored under the dcree of blueshock*
Last edited by boomwolf on Apr 04 2015 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Apr 04 2015 09:05

Guys let's not give away what your plans are. While I absolutely appreciate the enthusiasm keep in mind this is a competition and in the spirit of competition we should be keeping our ideas to ourselves. Like stated above you may share your ideas and thoughts with another member on the site for opinions via pm, but the entire public shouldn't be getting a WIP and parts list til after the competition ends. That's is all.

Also...thank you Tael for the recognition, albeit most of the actual work so far was on you, so thank you.

Thank you,
-Blueshock.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Apr 05 2015 12:59

This gives me some motivation to actually finish those firewarriors and pathfinders(I have 2200ish points of completely painted, based and modified suits and like 30 primered boring firewarriors) in my Enclaves army.

Question: For Enclave armies that function on a lot of fluff, would it be possible to have a slightly mixed unit that is two of the unit types? IE a firewarrior team with pathfinders mixed in as scouts? Pathfinders shadowing kroot to learn stealth and tracking? Drones having "bring your parent to work day" with their daddy Sniper Drone? Etc etc etc those kind of things

EDIT: Now that I think about it maybe that wasn't clear enough. Basically can mixed model units(of the challenge specified type) be used to represent a single "Firewarrior/pathfinder/kroot team".
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Apr 05 2015 08:22

Uh...I think the answer would probably be yes, but keep in mind the idea of this contest isn't to model a Fire Warrior after a Fire Warrior, Vespids as Vespids, etc. You need to model something as something else and represent that on the model. For example : Kroot with recon armor and ion rifle/rail rifle/pulse carbine to represent a Pathfinder team.
Think of it this way. After the attack on the Orbital we were left so short handed we don't have enough Fire Warriors to replenish the Fire Warrior's ranks right away, so we're replacing some of our losses with say...Kroot in Tau armor, etc.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Cire Mont'yr
Fio

Post#11 » Apr 05 2015 10:40

Blueshock,

with your example - if we were to model kroot as another unit, do they have to have weapons that closely resembles what the other unit usually uses, or can they have a modified kroot rifle that looks like it could have a similar function?

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Apr 05 2015 11:18

The latter, so long as your fluff can support it.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

oakreef
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Apr 06 2015 03:54

Well damn now I wish I hadn't already started making my Skaven Kroot prior to this competitive starting.

Edit: Can we use non-GW bits?

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#14 » Apr 06 2015 04:08

Yessir. Any bits legal long as the unit fits in with the Tau.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#15 » Apr 06 2015 05:35

Thanks Tael and Blueshock for providing prize support. So a fire warrior squad made from Imperial Knights isn't allowed? Nuts.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#16 » Apr 06 2015 06:46

Lol...ya I don't see how you could justify the fluff for that. Nice try though :P
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Apr 06 2015 07:12

No Imperial Knights turned firewarriors? Back to the drawing board, I guess!

Just kidding; I'm looking at my prototype right now. It fits quite comfortably on a small infantry base. The announcement of this challenge sent me into a modeling binge. Can't wait to finish a squad and show 'em off - this may be the first time I wished a challenge was shorter!

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#18 » Apr 06 2015 07:19

:D We pondered on making it 1 month but we wanted everyone to be able to find time to get them modelled and painted in time.

We are very happy this is inspiring people to get back into the swing of rocking out some tau stuff though, that was the whole reason I pushed to get this challenge going as hard as I did. It's also the reason we included fluff in this challenge to allow people who love fluff writing an opportunity to show their quality as well. Czar Ziggy had influence as well so kudos to him too. I'm also happy to provide prizes to motivate people to show us their Tau inspired works. I'm sure Tael would echo that as well.

Good luck to everyone,

-Shock
Last edited by Blueshock on Apr 29 2015 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Return to “Common Workbench”