[Voting] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.

Poll: Please vote for 2 entries based on the rules criteria

Poll ended at Oct 09 2016 11:01

Entry #1: The AX39-1 Houndshark
9%
Entry #2: The Dari Hunting Team
3%
Entry #3: TX-145 and TX-153 A.I. Jetbikes
7%
Entry #4: The Kroolexus Assassin
3%
Entry #5: Commander Farsight (on foot)
3%
Entry #6: The AY27 Moonfish
12%
Entry #7: The Sol'ai Pioneers
19%
Entry #8: The Aklên Warmaster
1%
Entry #9: The Mako XV-111 Commander Battlesuit
4%
Entry #10: The Kroot Pechodactyl Rider
5%
Entry #11: The Tau Defense Hub
8%
Entry #12: The Firesight Incursion Team
6%
Entry #13: The Nagi Advisor
5%
Entry #14: The XV83 Cyclone Battlesuit
3%
Entry #15: The Moray Tactical Gunship
8%
Entry #16: The XV87 Warden Battlesuit
3%
Total votes: 118

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

[Voting] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

Post#1 » Oct 02 2016 11:01

Greetings friends of the greater good.
Welcome to our exhibition, where Fio and allies alike have gathered from every corner of the empire to showcase their latest contributions to our ever evolving forces. New battlesuits, vehicles, allies, and more await your review. Which R&D elements rise above their peers and should be pursued further? That is for you to decide. Explore the exhibition, select the most worthy entries, and let the creativity flow!

The complete collection of entries can be downloaded HERE.
Each entry thumbnail links to a PDF for that particular entry.

As a refresher, please see the contest criteria below:
The Rules:

- One custom unit (either of your creation, or of one of our included examples) for a fan-created codex.
- Your unit may fit any of the following force organization slots: HQ, Troops, Elites, Fast Attack, Heavy Support, or Fortification.
- No WIP threads are permitted during the challenge. We encourage all entrants to keep a log of their progress to post after the challenge ends.
- Entries consist of 2 codex pages which fit the templates below.
- Units will be judged based on their quality of conversion and painting, quality of fluff, and quality/balance of rules. It is recommended to try your unit in a game or two to help nail down its tactical ability.

Prizes:
Community Choice: The ATT community will vote on their favorite entries from among the legal submissions to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
1st place will receive one Barracuda AX-5-2 kit - courtesy of Mal'Caor
2nd place will receive a one-of-a-kind Arrow Pattern XV8 Crisis Battlesuit - courtesy of Agentarrow
3rd place will receive custom replacement sept symbols for their models - courtesy of Kael'yn

Judges Choice Award:
In addition to the standard voting, we are adding one new prize to the challenge this year. The 'Ui+ members of the site will deliberate and decide upon an entry which was not among the winning 3 entries, but which still merits a prize.
The 1st Judges Choice Award winner will receive one Tidewall Shieldline, Droneport, or Gunrig - courtesy of Czar Ziggy.
The 2nd Judges Choice Award winner will receive one TX4 Piranha kit - courtesy of Macknight.

Please vote for two entries from the list below:
Entry #1: The AX39-1 Houndshark

Entry #2: The Dari Hunting Team

Entry #3: TX-145 and TX-153 A.I. Jetbikes

Entry #4: The Kroolexus Assassin

Entry #5: Commander Farsight (on foot)

Entry #6: The AY27 Moonfish

Entry #7: The Sol'ai Pioneers

Entry #8: The Aklên Warmaster

Entry #9: The Mako XV-111 Commander Battlesuit

Entry #10: The Kroot Pechodactyl Rider

Entry #11: The Tau Defense Hub

Entry #12: The Firesight Incursion Team

Entry #13: The Nagi Advisor

Entry #14: The XV83 Cyclone Battlesuit

Entry #15: The Moray Tactical Gunship

Entry #16: The XV87 Warden Battlesuit

Good luck to all entrants, and thank you to all who made this challenge a reality. Tau'va!

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Re: [Voting] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

Post#2 » Oct 03 2016 01:15

They all look awesome guys! Great work! I assume we don't vote for our own correct? :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 03 2016 01:47

Looking through these data sheets makes me wish I'd left myself more than a day to get the background finished and had enough time to actually look at more Data sheets.... It's been so long since I actually played a game!

Good luck to everyone and thank you for creating such lovely units to look though.

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#4 » Oct 03 2016 02:21

Hummm.

Are we to simply vote, or would it be appropriate to write a full review on each entry (both praising the good, and criticizing the bad in each of them)?

metaphiston
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 03 2016 03:27

These are brilliant. I am so impressed by the quality of the modelling, painting and datasheets for these. I was also interested in the big spread of unit types so I compared the force organisation slots, for those interested. I think it's very appropriate that a codex of Tau experimental units has plenty of fast attack. Mont'ka!

No Force Org Slot: 2 – AX39-1 Houndshark, Nagi advisor

HQ: 3 – Commander Farsight (on foot), Aklên Warmaster, MAKO XV-111 Commander

Elite: 1 – Kroolexus Assassin

Fast Attack: 6 – Dari Hunting Team, TX-145 and TX-153 A.I. Jetbikes, AY27 Moonfish, Sol’ai Pioneers, Kroot Pechodactyl Rider, Moray Tactical Gunship

Heavy Support: 3 – Firesight Incursion Team, XV83 Cyclone Battlesuit, The XV87 Warden Battlesuit

Fortification: 1 – Tau Defence Hub

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#6 » Oct 03 2016 03:32

A shame the Jetbike one is worded so clunky and there apparently was no proof reading either. I really wanted to give it my vote because the ideas are great and the model itself looks awesome af. :(

Edit:
Okay i'm done voting...the last vote was as hard to decide as expected...mainly because of some oversights.
The "MAKO XV-111 Commander" is missing the rules for Chainfire and Terminal Tracking or any note where to find them (google-fu told me Terminal Tracking is a rule from a Forgeworld flyer) and T4 on a flyer + the ability to take signature systems kinda forces you to take the Iridium Suit all the time to prevent insta death (kinda bad design so either don't allow the Iridium Suit or make him T5 by default).

The other option for a vote would've gone to the "XV83 CYCLONE BATTLESUIT" which doesn't look as great model-wise and presentation-wise (the pdf) to me but I like the overall idea of it...even though practically 'sacrificing' one of your fellow Tau soldier (and even allowing to shoot it him potentially killing him yourself) is not very Tau-ish at all.

I let you guess which one of those two got my last vote. Who got my first vote will remain a secret for now (none of the above mentioned). ;)

Really awesome entries though. I like them all in one way or another! :)

Tael
Fio'O

Post#7 » Oct 03 2016 06:05

Harlequin2
Shas'La

Post#8 » Oct 03 2016 08:25

It was a tough call. In the end I had to do a scoresheet for modelling, painting, rules and fluff (double points for modelling) but it was still very close. Good luck to everyone involved and thanks to the organisers for setting this all up! It's things like this that really bring the community together, I feel.

metaphiston wrote:I was also interested in the big spread of unit types so I compared the force organisation slots, for those interested.

Thanks for that. I was honestly expecting that most of them would be Elite choices but I'm pleasantly surprised that we have a more even spread.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#9 » Oct 03 2016 08:36

boomwolf wrote:Hummm.

Are we to simply vote, or would it be appropriate to write a full review on each entry (both praising the good, and criticizing the bad in each of them)?

A vote is all that is necessary, but a review would not hurt.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#10 » Oct 03 2016 10:04

Agentarrow wrote:
boomwolf wrote:Hummm.

A vote is all that is necessary, but a review would not hurt.

Maybe reviews could wait after the votes are closed to avoid any bias in votes.

Thanks to all contestants and good luck, I am eager to have my computer before hand to see the details of each entry.

Return to “Common Workbench”