[Voting] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.

Poll: Please vote for 2 entries based on the rules criteria

Poll ended at Oct 09 2016 11:01

Entry #1: The AX39-1 Houndshark
9%
Entry #2: The Dari Hunting Team
3%
Entry #3: TX-145 and TX-153 A.I. Jetbikes
7%
Entry #4: The Kroolexus Assassin
3%
Entry #5: Commander Farsight (on foot)
3%
Entry #6: The AY27 Moonfish
12%
Entry #7: The Sol'ai Pioneers
19%
Entry #8: The Aklên Warmaster
1%
Entry #9: The Mako XV-111 Commander Battlesuit
4%
Entry #10: The Kroot Pechodactyl Rider
5%
Entry #11: The Tau Defense Hub
8%
Entry #12: The Firesight Incursion Team
6%
Entry #13: The Nagi Advisor
5%
Entry #14: The XV83 Cyclone Battlesuit
3%
Entry #15: The Moray Tactical Gunship
8%
Entry #16: The XV87 Warden Battlesuit
3%
Total votes: 118

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Re: [Voting] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

Post#11 » Oct 03 2016 10:38

I beg for you help fine gentlemen, how do I vote?

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#12 » Oct 03 2016 10:48

El ZorDacK wrote:I beg for you help fine gentlemen, how do I vote?

The boxes at the top of the page can be checked, then click the submit button when you have selected 2.

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Oct 03 2016 11:02

Oooh!, my mistake, it only shows when i log in, thanks a lot Agentarrow

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#14 » Oct 03 2016 11:33

Kael'yn wrote:
Agentarrow wrote:
boomwolf wrote:Hummm.

Are we to simply vote, or would it be appropriate to write a full review on each entry (both praising the good, and criticizing the bad in each of them)?

A vote is all that is necessary, but a review would not hurt.

Maybe reviews could wait after the votes are closed to avoid any bias in votes.

Thanks to all contestants and good luck, I am eager to have my computer before hand to see the details of each entry.

Perhaps I lack imagination, but I fail too see how a review can create a negative bias.

Mind to enlighten me?

(In any case, I'm starting to properly review the entries tomorrow. will take a while given the sheer number.)

Kalten
Fio'La

Post#15 » Oct 03 2016 11:42

boomwolf wrote:Perhaps I lack imagination, but I fail too see how a review can create a negative bias.
Mind to enlighten me?

Well, undecided people, or people without enough criteria to choose an entry (mostly because lack of experience with the fluff, ruleset and modelling or painting techniques) might choose your criteria over their own (even subconsciously). Humans are pack animals, and will follow the majority consensus, even if that majority consist only of one person (as long as nobody else challenges that person). That doesn't mean you can't post your review (by all means do it, if you feel it's justified), but it will surely influence people one way or another, the same way voters listen to one media or another to choose their vote.

Macknight
Shas'La

Post#16 » Oct 03 2016 12:54

After 1-2 hrs of sifting through all the entries, voted for the 2 best overall based on painting, modeling, rules, fluff, layout organization; there were a misspell word 'there instead of their' in one of the entries, hard to understand rules(cough cough jetbike or a vehicle), unexplained rule on one of the entries, OP rules and under cost on a few, a couple of well made but meh rules.

Overall a great number of entries exceeding my expectations, well done to all those who entered and a poke to those on the fence thinking about entering.
For the greater good!

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Oct 03 2016 01:53

Looking very good, with all the quality I had to make some tough decisions in the voting. Good work. :)

A few entries seem to have one or two of their rules missing... :-?

Still very good overall, better than I had anticipated.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#18 » Oct 03 2016 03:05

These turned out to be pretty awesome. I typed up a pretty extensive review of the first half. Will type up more later tomorrow.

My top 3 favorites were all crazy close. Took a while to narrow that down.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#19 » Oct 04 2016 09:49

So many amazing entries. I think after the challenge is over, these should be compiled into an ATT supplemental codex.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#20 » Oct 04 2016 09:57

Hm looks like my favorite entry is winning the custom crisis suit so far....my favorite price. Go Moonfish! :D

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#21 » Oct 04 2016 10:30

Tearphoenix wrote:So many amazing entries. I think after the challenge is over, these should be compiled into an ATT supplemental codex.

And why not an official GW codex supplement ? :biggrin:

Compiling and formatting them to a coherent collection is something I wanted to make after the contest (i made the templates) maybe with some proofreading from the authors and the help of ATT community after the contest is over.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#22 » Oct 04 2016 11:26

I believe the compilation into an unofficial codex is the plan. I have gotten some emails of custom units which were ineligible for the contest, but which their authors requested be included in the final book. I also got an email of alternate templates which would be worth looking at.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Oct 04 2016 11:29

I kind of wish the voting was hidden it's killing me lol

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Oct 04 2016 12:18

No kidding...kind of sad to see that lonely 0...maybe I should vote for myself
:dead:

Tanno
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Oct 04 2016 12:24

El ZorDacK wrote:No kidding...kind of sad to see that lonely 0...maybe I should vote for myself
:dead:

I know the feeling but i voted for what i thought was best :fear: :?

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Oct 04 2016 12:27

:P So I will, but will await to the last to vote

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#27 » Oct 04 2016 01:36

[edit]: Review of models in this post. In responses to this post several members make it explicitly clear which model was theirs. If you haven't voted I recommend you don't read farther into this thread.

Welp, finished my rather extended write up of my opinions of all the entries. Note: Opinion of entries.

Spoiler'd in case people want to vote without being biased by my opinions.

[spoiler=Review of All Entries]"Units will be judged based on their quality of conversion and painting, quality of fluff, and quality/balance of rules."
So here's what all I'm judging...
Conversion -
Painting/picture -
Fluff -
Originality of Rules -
Balance of Rules <- Note I come from a fairly laid back meta. Hence my opinions of how things should be costed should be looked at from that side of things. Not what can stand up to an army of scat bikes, wraith knights and a riptide wing.

Grading Scale
F - Could use a ton of improvement. For example, a completely unpainted/unprimed army.
D - Functional, but really not great. For example, 3 color marine armies of a new painter
C - Generic internet level stuff
B - A class above most of what I see on the internet
A - Had to resist the urge to throw my wallet at my computer screen

Tried to not let grammar and typos affect my judgement since I know there's several people on here for whom English isn't their first language.

Entry #1: The AX39-1 Houndshark
Conversion - C
It's a sunshark with different drones on the wings (ghostkeel stealth drones?), two railguns attached to the bottom and a couple of bits added to the top of the wings (crisis drones?). Cleanly done, but nothing that screams originality to me.

Painting/photo - A+
Some day I hope to make models of the caliber. Probably won't ever, but I can only hope. This looks better than models in our actual codex in my opinion. Only complaint is that the line on the table in the background is kind of distracting. Might have been kind of cool to have some models in the distance on the table (but that might have thrown the scale off). These are extremely minor nitpicks.

Fluff - B-
Not extremely interesting, but solid. Felt like I could be reading it out of a codex.

Originality of Rules - D
It's a razorshark with a railgun strapped to it. No idea why you can upgrade the missile turret to SMS since it is supposed to be a tank hunter?

Balance of Rules - C+
Compared to an upgraded razorshark (d-pod/missile turret), you pay 10 points and lose 2 seeker missiles to trade the normal turret for what appears to be a Twin-linked Railgun. Having used razorsharks pretty extensively, this is actually a pretty massive downgrade. The power of the razorshark is to fly past vehicles and shoot them backwards in the butt with turret mounted guns. This flier loses that ability, so its anti-tank gun is less likely to do damage than the weaker strength gun of the razorshark. In addition, the razorshark puts out a similar amount of strength 8 fire with two seeker missiles and still has the turret to shoot with on top of that. Compare the HRR Broadside to the High Yield Missile Pod Broadside. The difference there is probably about as stark as this is to a normal razorshark. Personally, I can't see myself ever fielding this model and I'm one of the rare tau players who actually consistently fields tau fliers because I love their aesthetics. Above average rating, because I prefer to see homebrew units slightly overcosted as opposed to undercosted.

Overall - B
Exceptionally painted model, but nothing else about the entry was up to the level of the paint job. Oh my goodness that paint job though.

Entry #2: The Dari Hunting Team

Conversion - A+
I... uh... have no idea how these models were made. They look to be kroot with extreme amount of greenstuff everywhere and their heads removed and a different models head glued on?

Painting/Photo - B+
I'm having a hard time seeing the details in this photo, but from what I can tell this seems to be a pretty spot on paint job if somewhat less technically challenging than some of the other contestants.

Fluff - A
A wide range of interesting fluff here. Cool fluff about the differing guns. Interesting backstory about how they came to be. All fun to read.

Originality of Rules - A
I see someone didn't like that kroots CC got nerfed pretty hard a while back. These rules feel really good to me. Still showing the obvious connection to kroot, yet feeling like a much more aggressive unit. I like all the poison spread out through everything. Go Wild is a little confusing but feels really fluffy.

Balance of Rules - A
Most easily compared to kroot. For 2 more points per model you gain acute senses, -1 BS, +1 I, +2 Attacks (+1 from 2 CC weapons, +1 base), and shred on the CC attacks. With Go Wild, these guys have 5 attacks on the charge. That's a lot. Like a lot, a lot. Even while getting charged they have 3 attacks. But it's all strength 3 and they're made of tissue paper. My instinct says they should have 1 attack less or cost 1 point more. That being said I'd have to play them a few times to get a more accurate guess, which means they're pretty darn close to balanced.

Overall - A-
The photo doesn't have proper lighting, making the models hard to read, so on my initial visual pass through the I kind of ignored this entry. Upon closer inspection, the models, rules and fluff all excel. This is a seriously well done entry and will likely be getting one of my votes.

Entry #3: TX-145 and TX-153 A.I. Jetbikes

Conversion - A+
These appear to be some combination of eldar jet bike riders, hammerhead engines, lots of fins, tau bits, and green stuff. Exceptional work.

Painting/picture - B?
I have to get close to my monitor and squint at the photo to try and form an analysis of its paint job. From what I can see it looks rather good. Not as good as a couple other entries but better than what I'm capable of.

Fluff - C
Very little here to read. Pretty standard tau stealing other technology.

Originality of Rules - A
There's a lot going on here. Too much actually.

Balance of Rules - F
There is way too much going on here. This is going to be a rules nightmare for even experienced players. Not just from a complexity standpoint but from just remembering everything. This bad boy has 10+ different rules to juggle. Clearly a lot of time was spent on these, so I'm going to spend the appropriate amount of time trying to figure out if they're balanced.

Ok, figured out what was going on. These are just gun drones with millions of extra rules. Unfortunately the drones don't have a listed Wound/Armor value. I'm going to assume that they have 1 wound, since the rest of their stat-line is exactly the same as a drones.

Base Speed of 6" as normal gun drones
Base speed of 12" inches with pulse pistols instead of carbines
Base speed of 18" with no weapons
-0" movement if carrying a pathfinder
-6" if carrying a firewarrior
-6" for carrying an additional passenger

In CC, a drone that moved last turn with an embarked firewarrior, it gets an extra wound but no extra anything else. If it didn't move the firewarrior basically counts as being disembarked. Lots of assault rules that are fluffy, but unnecessary as you're basically going to get massacred and swept like usual.

Ok, so the TL;DR of this model is that for -1 point compared to a regular drone you get a drone with a 3+ jink, turbo-boost, and auto-passes a look out sir on the nearest fire-warrior. Basically the squad comes down to this question. Are you willing to pay 13 points per firewarrior/pathfinder for a gun drone, +1 T, the ability to turbo-boost your pathfinders/firewarriors and give them a 3+ jink?

The enclaves bike is just +2 points for +1 BS, +1 attack in CC if the rider is alive, and skilled rider.

These just don't add anything interesting to the tau army. Sure you can turbo-boost and harass enemy back-lines. Crisis/stealth suits already do that better. For transporting around mid-field, a devilfish is going to be a touch slower but much much safer and will actually cost less if you're transporting 7+ fire warriors. This might be cool for transporting an ethereal, but I'm not sure that's even possible.

Overall - C+
This entry was really close to being great. It just is clearly lacking polish in the rules and presentation.

Entry #4: The Kroolexus Assassin

Conversion - B+
Three different bits interestingly arranged on a kroots head. Looks like the kroot's pose was modified too.

Painting/Picture - B-
Very dynamic picture and pose. Unfortunately a lot of the model is lost in the background.

Fluff - C+
Kroot eats assassin, we get the assassin we wish we had. Pretty normal stuff. Really like the quote at the top of the second page.

Originality of Rules - D
It's just a culexus assassin with a slightly more variable gun and worse statline. Nothing about this feels "kroot" to me. Nothing about it feels particularly tau-ish either.

Balance of Rules - D
For 20 points less you get -2 WS, -2 BS, -1 I and +1 Str on your gun. However, his assassin statline are already so crazy good that those reduced stats will likely rarely matter anyways. Basically, you take this instead of a regular assassin and save 20 points and are a battlebrother instead of desperate ally.

Overall - B-
It's all fairly well done, but feels bland to me.

Entry #5: Commander Farsight (on foot)
Conversion - B
Solid conversion. Really like his pose. Looks like mostly greenstuff on a firewarrior.

Painting - B
Again, solid painting.

Fluff - B
Solid, I really like how all the rules flow together to make him feel like he's jumping around the battlefield bolstering your forces.

Originality of Rules - A-
These aren't greatly original per-say. His jumping around the battlefield is straight out of the necron-codex and this pick 1 is just a tweaked ethereal rule-set, but it just feels right to me.

Balance of Rules - B
My main critique is that the ghost among us warlord trait doesn't do anything as he doesn't have a jet pack move. That should really be something else even though its name fits. Secondly, he really shouldn't have 4 wounds. All other non-battlesuit HQ choices have 3 wounds. He's worse offensively than an ethereal, but is much harder for your opponent to pin down and kill. Feels pretty balanced to me.

Overall - B
Just a solid entry in every respect. I wish the second page had been more thoroughly utilized though. Lots of extra space wasted there. Could have used a bit more proof-reading on the entry too. Kinda sad he wasn't rocking his dawnblade too, although I can understand why that might be unnecessary.

Entry #6: The AY27 Moonfish
Conversion - A+
I can't even guess where most of this came from. I see a few devilfish parts and maybe some flier parts? Beautiful.

Painting/Picture - A+
Exceptional painting. Exceptional photo showing of the exceptional painting. Better background than most other entries too. Just saw the other photos on the second page. The one has a building going through the plane, which I assume is to show stealth but it is kinda weird to look at. Model is so gorgeous it doesn't matter.

Fluff - A-
Interesting and easy to read. Great job of explaining how and why this unit came into being.

Originality of Rules - A
Nothing else in the game can hold two squads and embark them at the same time that I know of (maybe the orca can?). So simple and yet different. Fills a completely unfilled slot in the tau arsenal while putting emphasis on our ground troops which are usually ignored.

Balance of Rules - A+
For 4 points more than two devilfish with D-pods and decoy launchers, you gain shrouded, flier rules, 2 markerlights, and lose 3 hull points, and 4 gun drones. I think this is worth it... sometimes? Which is right where you want to be. I just wanna load this with two squads of breachers and an ethereal and go to town.

Only change I'd recommend is making its side armor 11, because trying to figure out when enemies are shooting side vs front armor is really really confusing.

Overall - A+ Easily my favorite. Is this for sale? ;)

Entry #7: The Sol'aai Pioneers
Conversion - A+
Not sure where those dino things are from, but the pathfinders look great on them. Great wide variety of poses too.

Painting/photo - A
Stellar job on these. Front guy is a touch out of focus, but it doesn't matter much.

Fluff - A+
I really like the fluff story on the second page. Pretty sweet.

Originality of Rules - C+
Nothing too new or exciting here. Cavalry aren't that common in warhammer but these are basically just fire warrior cavalry.

Balance of Rules - A
These rules confuse me a little bit. 6 + 44 = 50. So the Shas'ui costs 35 points? I was going to call this squad extremely undercosted because for +2 points over a regular fire warrior you get cavalry, 5+ jink, +1 T, +1 I and hit and run. But with a 24 point tax thrown on there... they're not really under-costed that much anymore. They cost a touch more than 9 strike team members for 6 T4 (basically) wounds. The thing is the random kroot in there really confuses me. He really holds back the unit from moving quickly, since they have to stay back to maintain coherency with him which mitigates there cavalry move a lot. Also since he's a "kroot hunter" not "kroot" I don't think he gives them infiltrate or anything (so acute senses does nothing). He is just dead weight for the squad which is interesting and makes them feel balanced.

Overall - A
Really really like this entry also.

Entry #8: The Aklên Warmaster
Conversion - B
Pretty sweet looking sword and model, little hard to see what's going on on the model though.

Painting/picture - B-
Picture is very blurry. From what I can see though, I really like the scheme.

Fluff - C-
They kill stuff in close combat. Not much backstory or other explanation.

Originality of Rules - B-
Close combat psyker badass. Got some very interesting weapon options and loadouts.

Balance of Rules - A-
Very expensive CC specialist. Seems like she'd excel at cutting through MEQ units. With a 5++ she's going to die when anyone looks at her funny. I have no idea how I'd utilize her in a tau army though.

Overall - B-
Just not quite as pretty as some of the other entries. Also, feels a little out of place in a tau codex, but overall still interesting.

Entry #9: The Mako XV-111 Commander Battlesuit
Conversion - A+
Looks to be a piranha strapped to a crisis battlesuit's back with legs made of a ton of different bits.

Painting/picture - A
I really like the racing stripes this guy has got going. Great background too.

Fluff - C+
Not really a huge fan of the fluff. I don't understand why this suit would be made, other than because they could.

Coldstar battlesuit and a variable loadout with two different flying modes is kinda neat. But that isn't really that much of an addition.

Balance of Rules - D-
For +5 over a coldstar battlesuit points you get stealth and trade twin-linked 6 shot burst cannon for twin-linked SMS, Missile Pod for Twin-linked Fusion blaster and lose 1 BS, 1 WS, and 1 wound. I'm not sure if that is worth it or not. However, you also gain access to two other weapons/support systems and signature systems. This seems incredibly good. Hand him iridium, stims, another FB and let him make vehicles cry. That's pretty expensive though. I'm fairly sure it'd too good though. That's ignoring whatever those transform rules do, because I've no idea what they do.

Googled "chain fire" -> "Chain Fire rule that allows him to make extra shots on any successful hits and continue until they miss". So give him two TL-FB and a markerlight hit, and he's basically going to kill ANY (non-invisible) unit he shoots ever. This is not ok. Especially not on a three wound, 2+/5+++ flier. Thinking on it some more, if this works with the SMS that one hit means it shoots again, this will literally kill anything it can wound, as you'd have to roll 8 1s on 8 dice to not shoot again.

Overall - B+
Really cool model with somewhat tweaked rules. Personally not a fan of the obvious gundam-ness of the model that's just my preference.

Entry #10: The Kroot Pechodactyl Rider

Conversion - B+
Really cool looking model, especially great base. No idea where the Pechodactyl model is from. Kroot's gun looks good too.

Painting/picture - B+
Great picture, dynamic pose. Paint job is really good. I just don't feel wowed though. Not really sure why.

Fluff - B-
Solid fairly interesting stuff.

Originality of Rules - B+
Solid, well rounded stuff. Interesting new unit, but nothing groundbreaking or exceptionally exciting.

Balance of Rules - A-
For just a couple points less than a crisis suit with one plasma rifle you get this bad boy. This is faster, has better survivability (assuming you're hugging cover), and is just a flexible in deployment with infiltrate. So I'm going to say this is pretty clearly under costed by a decent margin (3 of these for just over a 100 points is a steal). That being said, its a fairly low impact unit by itself, and you simply can't spam them because they eat through your Fast Attack slots super duper fast. So if you throw down 3 of them, you're getting a ton of points efficiency but at the cost of a much weaker army comp which is a super interesting way to balance something. If they had something like a riptide wing (where you can buy a stand-alone formation of 3 of them). Fielding like 9 of these for just over 300 points would probably be very oppressive.

Overall - A-
Doesn't really have a wow factor, but is an incredibly solid entry.

Entry #11: The Tau Defense Hub

Conversion - A
Very simple concept. Extremely crisp execution.

Painting/photo - B+
Bit of a dark photo, I can't really judge the quality of the paint job very well. Looks like a fairly simple but well executed paint job.

Fluff - C
Extremely bare bones fluff. No real story as to why these were deemed necessary or how a final form came about.

Originality of Rules - B
Pretty different from any other fortification I've seen in the game.

Balance of Rules - B+
The satellites have a similar amount of firepower as 6 HRR broadsides (No SMS though), assuming they cost the same amount as 6 broadsides that means the main cannon costs 85 points. The satellites are significantly more durable than 2 broadsides and come with skyfire, but at the cost of the fact that they can't contest objectives. Assuming the satellites cost the same as two broadsides, the main cannon costing only 85 points is definitely way under-costed. My gut says this is undercosted, but HRR are over-costed... so I'm not sure. It costs about as much as two riptides with stims, EWO, and ion accelerator and it is most likely worse than that, but that's the most under costed unit in our book. 475 points is a huge portion of your army for something that is incredibly tactically inflexible. So probably points-wise a touch low but in the correct ballpark.

Overall - B+
Cool model and ruleset. Not sure I'd ever want to play with or against it, but I'd be curious to see how otherwise would find it.

Entry #12: The Firesight Incursion Team
Conversion - C+
Firewarriors with pathfinder guns and a spiffy backpack. Interesting but not particularly complex.

Painting - B-
Fairly good painting, not nearly as crisp as some other entries here.

Fluff - B
None of the fluff stands out as exceptional. That being said I like the wide mix of it, the entire second page lay-out is great.

Originality of Rules - C+
Firewarriors with stealth and ion rifles. Nothing particularly new.

Balance of Rules - A-
For 9 points over a regular firewarrior you get stealth, preferred enemy (shooting), and a gun that is usually a 15 point upgrade. While greatly increasing the squads kill potential, the squad barely becomes more durable. Just increasing the squads threat to the enemy will increase your enemies desire to focus fire on this squad. Something this squad will not be able to easily survive. This basically makes the devilfish mandatory. Once that happens the squad starts becoming pretty expensive. So while they might be a few points under-costed, they're definitely in the right ballpark.

Overall - B
I like this entry. This is definitely something I can see used in game or made by GW.

Entry #13: The Nagi Advisor
Conversion - B-
Appears to be a human model with tau torso and arms and a custom head. Makes the model look fairly distinctive, but not incredibly complicated to do.

Painting/Picture - B
The main picture is way too dark, I can't see the model at all. The secondary photo is so much better and should have been the primary photo. Model has a very solid paintjob.

Fluff - C
Not really much here, what is is kind of confusing. No idea who this inquisitor is, what he's doing, or why he's helping the tau.

Weird combination of Talisman of Arthas Moloch and Celuxus Assassin. I like that he's specifically a bodyguard for an ethereal.

Balance of Rules - B+
No rules for field amplifier relay. For 5 points more than a Talisman of Arthas Moloch you get a two wound body instead of a 5++ invuln, +1 on deny the witch instead of +2 and a couple of other special rules. I think if you're running an enclaves list you take the talisman instead. He also isn't an IC, so if you join him with an ethereal the ethereal can't join other units which is super bad. He needs to be an IC also. Assuming he could join squads with an ethereal like normal I find him to be actually a touch overpriced in my opinion.

[edit]: Field Amplifier Relay rules are in the tau codex silly me. This should probably be an A. His points cost feels incredibly on point to me.

Overall - B-
I like this model and what not. I find the best answer to pyskers to just be more dakka

[edit] I'm a sucker for perfectly balanced models so I'd probably rate this as a B overall instead.

Entry #14: The XV83 Cyclone Battlesuit
Conversion - C+
Crisis suit with the back cut off and a few bits thrown together. Not overly complex.

Painting/Picture - C+
Fairly basic paint job.

Fluff - C+
Pretty extensive fluff describing everything but somewhat dry and not overly exciting.

Originality of Rules - A
I think the mawloc rule is one of the cooler ones in the game. I think this does a really cool job of being a dedicated assault unit in the tau army and while still feeling like tau-ish.

Balance of Rules - A+
Just a hair less expensive in points per markerlight hit than pathfinders (which are basically the most efficient in the tau book for point per hit), while in CC with enemy units. However, that efficiency comes with a great deal of risk of getting into combat and you end up in combat. Outside of CC, its points per markerlight is more around that of sniper drone teams or a commander with drone controller and other more resilient/utility based markerlight platforms. Can also be outfitted as a somewhat more resilient and less damaging crisis suit, with less points efficiency but also packing markerlights.

Overall - B
I like the rules for this model a ton. I just wish the paintjob/conversion were of a similar level of quality.

Entry #15: The Moray Tactical Gunship

Conversion - A-
I'm not even going to start to guess where all these bits came from. Not quite a smooth as a couple of other entries but pretty sweet none-the-less.

Painting/Picture - B+
Not quite as clean of a paintjob as some others but its still pretty good. The paint scheme is gorgeous in my opinion.

Fluff - B
I like the random nature of the gun being discovered. Fairly interesting fluff overall.

Originality of Rules - B
Nothing about the plane itself is particularly noteworthy, but that's a really spiffy gun you thought up there.

Balance of Rules - A
Just a tad bit less expensive than a razorshark. Significantly less deadly, but comes with 4 makerlight drones. Somewhat better in cost per markerlight to a Skyray, but with significantly less offensive power and I'd guess slightly worse defensive stats. So its a bit overcosted ignoring the psyker gun. If the pskyer gun does work its probably a tad undercosted. So its in the right ballpark, maybe I'd shave off a few points. I'm not sure why it can deepstrike, just fly onto the battlefield.

Overall - B+
Just shy of being exceptionally good. Something about the plane's model just seems a little off to me. I find the hover mode to be somewhat of a personal pet peeve as none of the other tau fliers have that, although it does fit with your fluff.

Entry #16: The XV87 Warden Battlesuit
Conversion - B
Broadside with a spiffy shoulder and head.

Painting/photo - C+
Rather hard to see the paintjob but it seems like a pretty normal suit paintjob.

Fluff - C+
Rather dry fluff. Decently explains everything but not particularly exciting.

Originality of Rules - A
This is cool and feels really tau-like. Instantly makes me start trying to think of how the best way to use it would be.

Balance of Rules - B-
Pretty sure that this suit actually costs 108 points, as it'll always come with 2 (now) 2++ shield drones to make sure it doesn't immediately die horribly to the ridiculous focus fire its going to receive. This thing takes every tau invuln from mediocre to absolutely insane. Breachers with a 3++? Riptides with a base 3++, nova 2++? Commanders with a 2++? Almost every unit in the army can now buy a 14 point 2++ wound? Crazy. But then if you use a ton of points buying extra invuln saves and this dies first turn, you've wasted a ton of points. Interesting. I'm going to guess that just on the back of being able to buy two shield drones for this that it is too strong. It basically mitigates the vast majority of an enemies alpha strike capabilities. Without the two shield drones it'd probably be costed just about right as it'd die easily. With the drones, its going to cause massive headaches for way too many armies. Should probably just increase the invuln by +1.

Overall - B-
Really cool idea ruleswise, although it might be kind of a pain to play against on the table. Model just needs a bit more polish.[/spoiler]
Last edited by materpillar on Oct 05 2016 12:18, edited 4 times in total.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Macknight
Shas'La

Post#28 » Oct 04 2016 03:09

on entry #13:

The Field Amplifier Relay is listed in the wargear list of the Breacher team related area, perhaps I should of relisted in the wargear option, I thought I'd save space as it was already listed in the codex.

Fluff of this named inquisitor is from an actual GW tau novel, he is linked with a nagi mindworm piloting a crisis suit, a commander of the gue'vesa. I can understand those of you haven't read the book would be confused about why he's helping the tau empire.

Thought process of the Null space: +1 to the natural 6+ equals a 5+ 12" bubble, this can't be used along with the FE amulet, as it would of been a 3+ bubble=OP imo. I should of modify him to IC so that the ethereal and the advisor can join a unit as it was intended, overlooked the IG advisor upgrade to the command squad I was going for. I had also thought about giving him a extra hth weapon so that he would have 2 Attacks, but I was talked out of it.

Ditto on the image swap.

Conversion bits: tau pathfinder torso with the field amplifier backpack, IG elysian legs, IG tank commander arms modified with green stuff armor hand pads, IG scion shoulder pads, pathfinder head with lens scrapped, the new xv88 head with giant optics shaved down to fit and green stuff the edges, pathfinder markerlight slightly shaved and pinned to the side of the head, pathfinder holstered pistol and grenades, dark eldar medusa head shaved like a beveled canoe to fit the underside of the head.
For the greater good!

Return to “Common Workbench”