[Voting] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.

Poll: Please vote for 2 entries based on the rules criteria

Poll ended at Oct 09 2016 11:01

Entry #1: The AX39-1 Houndshark
9%
Entry #2: The Dari Hunting Team
3%
Entry #3: TX-145 and TX-153 A.I. Jetbikes
7%
Entry #4: The Kroolexus Assassin
3%
Entry #5: Commander Farsight (on foot)
3%
Entry #6: The AY27 Moonfish
12%
Entry #7: The Sol'ai Pioneers
19%
Entry #8: The Aklên Warmaster
1%
Entry #9: The Mako XV-111 Commander Battlesuit
4%
Entry #10: The Kroot Pechodactyl Rider
5%
Entry #11: The Tau Defense Hub
8%
Entry #12: The Firesight Incursion Team
6%
Entry #13: The Nagi Advisor
5%
Entry #14: The XV83 Cyclone Battlesuit
3%
Entry #15: The Moray Tactical Gunship
8%
Entry #16: The XV87 Warden Battlesuit
3%
Total votes: 118

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Re: [Voting] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

Post#31 » Oct 04 2016 04:26

I wouldn't take that review to heart guys it was good and honest and showed everything we missed to an opinion. I took it as positive critisizm. However I feel it does being into light that next time there should be a small section of "designers notes" to explain whatever we feel is needed. Also while it's good to know some of the review showed a more competitive play style for usfuelness where other players may go on a modeling. I run a local shop for 40k and have been playing for 20 years. I see all the time under pointed models or models that are converted to be a "winning" unit. I think a lot of the entries on this contest showed some good thought. Lastly I think we should add a judging category next time of "duplication" how easy is it to replicate this unit. For example no matter what I have decided to make a small shelf of my ATT stuff and the pioneers in entry #7 will be there. But if your not a model let I don't know how easy it will be for others to duplicate and use.

Kalten
Fio'La
Fio'La

Post#32 » Oct 04 2016 04:56

As soon as the contest finishes, I will post a lengthy and detailed explanation on how my entry came to be. For now, answering one of the questions materpillar had about it, the orca can do the same, but with four units, making it able to disembark its full cargo bay in a single turn (two units of firewarriors, the drones and the crisis suits, in the standard loadout).

About duplicating models, I feel the same as you, chris13f, but with the advent of easy 3d printing and capable 3d computer modellers, I feel that this could be a golden age for custom units being mass produced. Here in the forums we have very good examples (the correction of the glaring design flaws of the stormsurge or the works of agentarrow with the second prize of this contest being some of them). Sooner than you think, the rest of us will slowly discard the old greenstuff and move into 3d printing.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#33 » Oct 04 2016 05:00

All valid points. This is the first time we have run a challenge with custom units and rules, usually things are one-offs with no rules so we have fewer things to keep track of and evaluate. My only concern is that too many criteria will be cumbersome for entrants to track while crafting their entry, and may hinder the overall product.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Oct 04 2016 05:14

I couldn't agree more with both of you!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#35 » Oct 04 2016 06:47

Aye solid points. I'm still pushing putty for my character conversions - I get the feeling Tau Battlesuits have promoted 3D modelling faster in our community (Tau) than others due their shapes and designs over the more complex and decorated gothic of other factions.

The again, clean and simple forms bring their own challenges with nowhere to hide blemishes. ;)

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Oct 04 2016 11:40

chris13f wrote:I wouldn't take that review to heart guys it was good and honest and showed everything we missed to an opinion. I took it as positive critisizm.

D: Agh! It seems I wasn't clear enough, I was incredibly impressed by everyones entry. Seriously, if you guys doubt that previous statement just compare your models' conversion/painting score to mine (yes I ranked mine for completion sake). I think I have decent painting skills and I spent a redicioulous amount of time working on my model, painting it, and stretching my artistic skills to the max. That being said mine is probably the worst looking model in this competition.

Pretty sure the lowest overall score I gave was a B-, which translates to "cooler than the vast majority of Warhammer models you find on the internet".

I apologize if some of my critiques felt harsh, my intent was not to put people down or crush spirits. My intent was to try and point out areas for improvement in future competitions.

[spoiler=Vote first, learn which entry was mine second]XV83 Cyclone Battlesuit[/spoiler]

chris13f wrote:Lastly I think we should add a judging category next time of "duplication" how easy is it to replicate this unit. For example no matter what I have decided to make a small shelf of my ATT stuff and the pioneers in entry #7 will be there. But if your not a model let I don't know how easy it

I was trying to judge that by my convertion rating. Anything in the "C" range I figured I could do. Basically anything with a "B" I could guess what the bits were, but I'm pretty sure it was above my skill level to actually make effectively. Anything with an "A" I couldn't really even guess it was so well done.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#37 » Oct 05 2016 12:08

Oh masterpillar I didn't mean anything rudely sorry. I really enjoyed your break down and learned what we could all focus on next time :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#38 » Oct 05 2016 12:36

Oh masterpillar I didn't mean anything rudely sorry. I really enjoyed your break down and learned what we could all focus on next time

ATT culture and polite discourse in a sentence. You guys are great.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#39 » Oct 05 2016 04:28

Awesome contest. Really makes you think about the Tau world in more detail. I was planning to participate if the model I wanted to use arrived on time (still hasn't arrived). Especially now I regret not being part of the fun!
Anyway, I'm glad non-codex Tau stuff has been in the spotlight, I hope it will return in a future contest (I can't help but think of a certain sushi shop :crafty: ).

Tanno
Shas'Saal

Post#40 » Oct 05 2016 10:57

materpillar wrote:I was trying to judge that by my convertion rating. Anything in the "C" range I figured I could do. Basically anything with a "B" I could guess what the bits were, but I'm pretty sure it was above my skill level to actually make effectively. Anything with an "A" I couldn't really even guess it was so well done.

Well, I am thankful for the feed back but I defiantly need more practice

also if you would not mind i will pm you which one is mine and if you would like to have a guess at the parts used ;)

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#41 » Oct 05 2016 11:38

Tanno wrote:
materpillar wrote:I was trying to judge that by my convertion rating. Anything in the "C" range I figured I could do. Basically anything with a "B" I could guess what the bits were, but I'm pretty sure it was above my skill level to actually make effectively. Anything with an "A" I couldn't really even guess it was so well done.

Well, I am thankful for the feed back but I defiantly need more practice

also if you would not mind i will pm you which one is mine and if you would like to have a guess at the parts used ;)

I'm game.

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#42 » Oct 05 2016 03:32

materpillar wrote:Welp, finished my rather extended write up of my opinions of all the entries.

Thanks for taking the time to review all the entries. I'd love to have a more in-depth discussion about each one (best to do it after the voting closes). In particular, I was a bit pleasantly surprised by your review about my entry. If you like, I can tell you how I made it over messaging like Tanno offered to.

Either way, I'm very willing to discuss my entry after the voting and how I converted it, if anybody's interested. Personally, I'd love to see a budding Fio improve on what I've done. ;)

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Oct 05 2016 06:30

Just voted but I wish there we had been allowed three choices, because couldn't vote for my top three choices.

Also I didn't vote for my entry either, because the two ones I picked were much better than mine. :sad:

All in all a great effort by everyone!
After this is all over there will be Project Log started for my entry. (Sorry no photos while I was doing the project.) However I intend to show the parts I used and how I converted them. I will keep going on the project continuing with another couple of prototypes and rules refinement.

Not bad after not having built, painted or converted any model for two-and-a-half years! And that's after cataract surgery too! :P

The TauMan Continues...

Edited to conserve anonymity (though that's perhaps a moot point now)
>>--AA-->
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#44 » Oct 05 2016 08:54

Hello all,
It was brought to my attention today that the TX-145 and TX-153 A.I. Jetbike datasheet was not the most up-to-date version. I have replaced the link to its datasheet in the original post with an updated version.
If you considered voting for the TX-145 and TX-153 Jetbikes, but did not due to a typo or other issue, please review the new datasheet.
For the next 2 days I have opened re-votes for those who have already voted once. If you wish to adjust your vote for any reason, you may do so now.

DKzDK
Shas

Post#45 » Oct 05 2016 09:12

Excuse me. I do not meen to be brute and interrupt,
But I wanted to ask a question or two.

To the Creator of the;

TX 145 &153 Jetbikes.

Is there any possibility of a picture or angle/look of;
the drone Tow-dock(with or without drone)

I'm very intrigued that you had the same base idea I also had in mind, and wanted to see how you achieved your result.

Continue this conversation by PM please,
in-depth discussion may be posted after voting has ended.
>>--AA-->

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#46 » Oct 06 2016 04:36

Hm I don't see what has changed for the Jetbike entry and the points why I didn't give it my vote are still there...so yeah nothing changed for me.
I probably wouldn't have changed my vote anyway because a deadline is a deadline and I don't like the thought that one might have worked on it after reading the comments since that would've been unfair to the other entries.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#47 » Oct 06 2016 06:37

Panzer wrote:Hm I don't see what has changed for the Jetbike entry and the points why I didn't give it my vote are still there...so yeah nothing changed for me.
I probably wouldn't have changed my vote anyway because a deadline is a deadline and I don't like the thought that one might have worked on it after reading the comments since that would've been unfair to the other entries.

I believe he sent one link, changed a couple of things and then sent an updated link (all before the deadline). Yet the earlier link was the one used.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#48 » Oct 06 2016 12:35

chris13f wrote:I kind of wish the voting was hidden it's killing me lol

Well it is now, as my vote count seems to have gone in reverse. While I understand why this has happened, in future could the vote count be hidden until the results are in? This is slightly disheartening.

Return to “Common Workbench”