Onmyou's Motivation Service

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Onmyou's motivation service

Post#37 » Oct 31 2017 07:40

Haechi wrote:I probably jut need to see them up close Arka. Since this post is about motivation, I'm jumping in on it. But you guys have nice Deadlines, mines are set by tournaments and... oh boy.

There you go. Not amazing, but I guess I like it. Your task looks pretty intense, good luck! I assume at least some of those are already painted though?

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#38 » Oct 31 2017 08:20

Yeah it looks better. I think your should do the base rim in black though, but that's a personal preference.
And no, nothing is painted in that list haha. The rest of the army is though!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#39 » Oct 31 2017 09:57

Haechi wrote:Yeah it looks better. I think your should do the base rim in black though, but that's a personal preference.

Argh, now I'm going to second-guess myself! I had the rims black originally. However, I was told by a friend that I shouldn't have the base rim color also be on the model. The faceplates, rifle stocks & grips, and vents are all black, so I figured I should avoid the color. I just had them black last month though :sad:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#40 » Oct 31 2017 10:35

Black rim on the base always looks best imo.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#41 » Oct 31 2017 11:45

DO NOT second guess your self! IMHO coloured bases are just fine, especially since painting it black just looks like you didn't paint them at all. Shows how you took a little extra step. ;)

All mine and my sons' armies have painted bases. For my Ork army each mob has a different coloured base so I tell them apart.

Your bases look good.

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#42 » Oct 31 2017 01:37

Arka0415 wrote:Onmyou, that symbol on the chest is stunning! Any tips on how you did that? Do you have a good method of painting the symbol on Fire Warrior shoulder pads too?

Thanks! There's not much to it actually, first white then black :crafty: I actually played some tennis that morning so I was lucky it turned out that way, having an unsteady hand.

And I agree with the others, your coloring looks really good. I always found vomit brown (as it was called before) to have a really difficult pigment to work with. I've tried different techniques and paints, but there is always some downside.

About the base, I wish I had that texture paint when I started, looks so cool! I had the colors very similar and changed all the rims to black at some point, as it looks more like a proper statue to me that way. Don't worry about that though, you can change it any time super quick (unless you want it to be vomit brouwn :roll: ).

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Oct 31 2017 06:28

TauMan wrote:DO NOT second guess your self! IMHO coloured bases are just fine, especially since painting it black just looks like you didn't paint them at all. Shows how you took a little extra step. ;)

Aww, thanks TauMan! :biggrin:

Onmyou wrote:I always found vomit brown (as it was called before) to have a really difficult pigment to work with. I've tried different techniques and paints, but there is always some downside.

About the base, I wish I had that texture paint when I started, looks so cool! I had the colors very similar and changed all the rims to black at some point, as it looks more like a proper statue to me that way. Don't worry about that though, you can change it any time super quick (unless you want it to be vomit brouwn :roll: ).

Funny story about vomit brown- when I first painted my army, I did black/white/red (like modern Vior'la but before that came out). I initially avoided vomit brown because, well, I figured it was a pretty gross color do do a whole army in! When the paint's name changed to "Tau Light Ochre" I figured, well, it can't be too bad :P

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#44 » Oct 31 2017 08:42

El'mo your camo paint job is amazing. How long did it take for you to get that far? How much work did you get done this time around when you picked it up. It's nice to see a progression.

Onmyou, nic progress. I like the time lapse. It feels like being on a team . The commander looks good. The symbol looks pretty good like arka0415 stated. I think the trick is to paint in thin coats even when you're doing symbols that's what I've learned. Painting thick on the symbol is risky and not worth it.

Haechi, I like the paint scheme on the devilfish. Thank you for the commander compliment. I had a drill through its base to make sure the stand was at an angle that I was okay with. What is your sept? It's all super sweet looking.

Arka0415 , I prefer the to be painted to because I think the black is slightly awkward. So I paint my bases as well when it comes to the rim. An idea that you can do is you can darken the color on the rims if you want the rims to stand out but not be black, just use a darker shade, or shade with a thin layer of wash (agrax earthshade would be what I reccommend). This would make the base not stand out awkwardly and give you contrast. If you don't like it then repainting it shouldn't be that hard if you're just covering up a slight shade. I personally like your base as is, doing to much base work may take attention off the model and to the base, which is not an effect I want. I want my bases to be background noise, and the model to be the eye catcher.

As for me I only have tonight Wednesday and Thursday night to finish my storm surge. I'm not looking for perfection... Just an ok level base coat for the nooks and crannies. I also finished filing down a sniper drone team on my lunch break, so they are ready for assembly. I finished magnetizing the support system slots yesterday and primed the green stuff parts of the two cannon options. I also used green stuff to make some"ATS " cloned support bits and primed. I need eight for 11/14/17 event and I'm using the old school"velocity tracker" bit as the ATS. It will be my eleventh game of Warhammer. I feel like an advance new person. I'll probably post pictures Friday night, but I have to work both jobs that day.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#45 » Oct 31 2017 10:39

May as well join in.
Here's what I have to do before December:
-finish off Admech/Militarum Tempestus bases
-finish ghostkeel (50% done)
-Base 4 Drones
-repaint 3 stealth suits
-paint homing beacon
-(hopefully)repair and repaint my poor mistreated crisis suits which were eaten by my dog.

Pics soon

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#46 » Nov 01 2017 01:15

Lostroninsoul wrote:El'mo your camo paint job is amazing. How long did it take for you to get that far? How much work did you get done this time around when you picked it up. It's nice to see a progression.

Cheers :)

The initial "green stage" took a week from bare plastic, magnetisation and assembly, prime and larger detail work. "Camouflage stage" including the cam, detailing, inking and decals was another week and the final weathering took 1 evening (photo to follow).

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#47 » Nov 01 2017 05:01

Lostroninsoul wrote:Haechi, I like the paint scheme on the devilfish. Thank you for the commander compliment. I had a drill through its base to make sure the stand was at an angle that I was okay with. What is your sept? It's all super sweet looking.

My Sept is T'au (white markings), with either a night camo or an ashy barren world camo. You can see a ton of pictures at this link: http://www.warhammer-forum.com/index.ph ... nt=3131902

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#48 » Nov 01 2017 06:25

@elmo wow that's fast. It took me like two weeks to get my unfinished commander to where its at. You must have been painting for a long time.

Haechi, I really like the kroot hound conversions. I'm not sure what language that is. I think it's French but I can't read the commentary unfortunately. I'll have to Google translator it later. Very cool though

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#49 » Nov 01 2017 10:56

Lostroninsoul wrote:@elmo wow that's fast. It took me like two weeks to get my unfinished commander to where its at. You must have been painting for a long time.

Haechi, I really like the kroot hound conversions. I'm not sure what language that is. I think it's French but I can't read the commentary unfortunately. I'll have to Google translator it later. Very cool though

It is French yes, and there are no conversion on the Kroot Hounds hahaha.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#50 » Nov 01 2017 12:39

Arka0415 wrote:
Haechi wrote:Yeah it looks better. I think your should do the base rim in black though, but that's a personal preference.

Argh, now I'm going to second-guess myself! I had the rims black originally. However, I was told by a friend that I shouldn't have the base rim color also be on the model. The faceplates, rifle stocks & grips, and vents are all black, so I figured I should avoid the color. I just had them black last month though :sad:

I think going with black makes it look unpainted and therefore could come under some unnecessary criticism. Instead, go with a darker brown to show it's painted but to contrast the other colors to not wash the whole base out but also compliment the other colors on the model. Just my two cents!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Onmyou's Motivation Service

Post#51 » Nov 01 2017 12:42

I've never heard of any criticism because of black trim on bases lol. It used to be the norm and painted trims being weird (especially green ones...god do they look aweful imo :D ).

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#52 » Nov 01 2017 12:44

Panzer wrote:I've never heard of any criticism because of black trim on bases lol. It used to be the norm and painted trims being weird (especially green ones...god do they look aweful imo :D ).

I don't have painted models so I guess maybe that's where the criticism comes from. :P

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#53 » Nov 01 2017 01:06

All of my collection (T'au/Guard/DA/Fantasy Orks and Goblins) have bases with a black rim. I tried the base colours on the rim once and disliked it and painted it back to black.

For me it helps to give outline to the model but, at the end of the day, they are your little plastic soldiers so paint them how you want ;)

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#54 » Nov 02 2017 12:16

WIP of ghostkeel:

You can't really tell the difference, but some areas are painted with Dawnstone. I used grey primer.
Green is Castellan Green, red is Khorne Red. just need to paint Leadbelcher and Death World Forest, put Nuln Oil into cracks, do overall coat of Nuln, then highlight.

finished mechanicus bases too. more pics to come.

Return to “Common Workbench”