Multipurpose Strike/Breacher Teams

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
overthebrinkgames
Shas

Multipurpose Strike/Breacher Teams

Post#1 » Nov 14 2017 10:42

Trying to stay as WYSIWYG as possible, I'm thinking of creating a small unit of Fire Warriors (maybe 6 strong) that are equipped with several weapons; holding either a rifle/blaster/carbine and having at least one other weapon slung up on their back. Fluff-wise, I'd imagine these are "elites" or "spec-ops" type of veterans, painted differently than the rank and file grunt.
My hope is that I can use these multi-armed veterans as a flexible multipurpose unit, filling in for both breachers or strike teams whenever needs arise.

As of writing this post I have never played an actual game so I'm wondering how this idea would be received by an opponent (casual or competitive), and if it is even worth making this unit. I like the idea of flexibility, but am worried I could never use it because of rules and regulations.

Any advice for a newcomer would be appreciated!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Multipurpose Strike/Breacher Teams

Post#2 » Nov 14 2017 10:55

It shouldn't pose any problem as long as you don't mix those units in your list.
Having Pulse Rifle Strike Teams looking exactly the same as the Breacher unit beside them could confuse your opponent and lead to devastating mistakes by misjudging your unit and by that to frustration.

Keep in mind that Beacher have different helmets and backpacks than Strike Teams as well. It's not just the weapon that's different. So you won't be 100% WYSIWYG that way anyway.

Oh and if you care about the fluff for your painting then I have an advice for you for that unit as well: Some elite units or warrior in high regard are allowed to use an inversed color scheme. Means they use the Sept color as armor color and the armor color of the rest of the army for their Sept and rank markings. ;)

overthebrinkgames
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 14 2017 11:19

Thanks for the reply.
I was actually thinking of using the bare heads for this unit. My current strike and breacher teams are full WYSIWYG, with the right helmets/shoulder pads/backpacks. This Vet unit will have strike team pads and backpacks, bare heads, and use all the "accessory arms" (holding grenades, pointing, using pistol, reloading) that I have. And the paint will definitely set them apart!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 14 2017 11:33

Using bare heads is definitely a good way to dodge that problem! And I doubt most people would actually recognize the difference in their backpacks even if you tell them unless they take two models and compare them very closely.
That only leaves the shoulder pads but I don't think there's much you can do about that. :D

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 14 2017 04:40

using those as multipurpose should be just fine, as long as they fill single purpose over the entirety of battle, no switchnig to blasters when they get up close or so

making a unit like this should spice up the army and make it more personalised, unique and well, good looking (cause you wanna look great/good when fighting for the Greater Good), so I would be all for that in my opponents army even if it was less WYSIWYG

overthebrinkgames
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 14 2017 08:53

Thank you, that was the kind of confirmation I needed! I have 30 Strikers and 20 Breachers in my collection right now, so I think if I made 5-10 "variable" guys that could stand in for either type, I could vary my army lists in the future. I like the idea of Striker heavy gunlines, but I'm also liking the thought of devilfish/breacher rushes to get up close and personal!

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Nov 14 2017 09:16

Especially if you follow the advice of inverting their colors (Veteran's scheme) there should be absolutely no confusion on their battlefield role. Heck, you might even use them as Pathfinders.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 14 2017 11:33

Ricordis wrote:Especially if you follow the advice of inverting their colors (Veteran's scheme) there should be absolutely no confusion on their battlefield role. Heck, you might even use them as Pathfinders.

As Pathfinder they would be very far away from WYSIWYG though. :D
Last edited by Panzer on Nov 15 2017 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Nov 15 2017 07:28

I thought we are already past being WYSIWYG-units by mixing Breacher and Striker parts like Rifles, Carbines, Blasters, Pistols and even Backpacks.
The backpack is no cosmetic, that's the part that gives Breachers a 5++ and Strikers only 6++ if a Guardian Drone is nearby.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Nov 15 2017 07:36

Ricordis wrote:I thought we are already past being WYSIWYG-units by mixing Breacher and Striker parts like Rifles, Carbines, Blasters, Pistols and even Backpacks.
The backpack is no cosmetic, that's the part that gives Breachers a 5++ and Strikers only 6++ if a Guardian Drone is nearby.

Trying to stay as WYSIWYG as possible

Literally the first words OP wrote.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Nov 15 2017 10:13

You really want to play the quoting game? ^^

overthebrinkgames wrote:[...] so I think if I made 5-10 "variable" guys that could stand in for either type, I could vary my army lists in the future. I like the idea of Striker heavy gunlines, but I'm also liking the thought of devilfish/breacher rushes to get up close and personal!

And that's the part we are past WYSIWIG. Except he starts to use magnets on his Infantry Firewarriors.

Still, I really like the idea of veterans being able to adapt to Mont'ka or Kauyon. A Joker unit you can declare while writing your list as Strikers, Breachers or even Pathfinders (I am still serious about this). As long as you don't utilize this to confuse your enemy. And even then a complete unit with inverted colours should ring all alarm bells as these might not be "normal soldiers".

I'd give 2 or 3 a Blaster, another 2-3 Rifles, anyone else gets a carbine. And then you might glue extra parts on them like more grenades/ammo than other models in your army normally have, maybe another weapon dangling on a girdle.

Yep, I miss the Honour Guard.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Nov 15 2017 10:21

Dude...you didn't get my point. Or you didn't understand what he wrote. Whatever.
"Trying to stay as WYSIWYG as possible" already implies that it's not WYSIWYG. It means though that he doesn't want to go over the top and use his Strike Team/Breacher models as something completely different. Pathfinder are visually and equipment-wise way more different than Strike Teams and Breacher are to eachother.

To play the quote game one has to understand the parts that get quoted. ;)

It's okay for you to like that idea but it isn't what the OP requested and until he says otherwise we shouldn't derail the thread with that idea. Maybe open your own thread with that idea in mind.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Nov 15 2017 11:31

Get down of your horse.
I literally answered on the question the OP asked.

overthebrinkgames wrote:[...] I'm thinking of creating a small unit of Fire Warriors (maybe 6 strong) that are equipped with several weapons; holding either a rifle/blaster/carbine and having at least one other weapon slung up on their back. Fluff-wise, I'd imagine these are "elites" or "spec-ops" type of veterans, painted differently than the rank and file grunt.
My hope is that I can use these multi-armed veterans as a flexible multipurpose unit, filling in for both breachers or strike teams whenever needs arise. [...]

Ricordis wrote:Still, I really like the idea of veterans being able to adapt to Mont'ka or Kauyon. A Joker unit you can declare while writing your list as Strikers, Breachers or even Pathfinders (I am still serious about this).
[...]
I'd give 2 or 3 a Blaster, another 2-3 Rifles, anyone else gets a carbine. And then you might glue extra parts on them like more grenades/ammo than other models in your army normally have, maybe another weapon dangling on a girdle.

Panzer wrote:[...] "Trying to stay as WYSIWYG as possible" already implies that it's not WYSIWYG. [...]

Thank you, that's what I said.
Ricordis wrote:I thought we are already past being WYSIWYG-units[...]

Pathfinder are design-wise not that different than Strike Teams.
While Breachers share the same leg armor with Strikers, both wear (different) shoulder pads and (different) backpacks the Striker's and Pathfinder's helmets have more similarities.
Also both have access to Pulse Carbines (visual aspect, as we don't take the weapons as WYSIWIG) and placing on the table counts also for the visuals:
While you find your Breachers close to the enemy Strike and Pathfinder Teams like to stay farther away.

I am not dumb and your benevolently condescending manners are offending me. We won't get friends here, that's okay, but not every opinion you have is a solid fact everyone has to accept and telling me I am wrong because you want it that way is a pretty destructive way to base an argument.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Nov 15 2017 11:55

I'm on no horse, thanks. You just suggested an entirely different use for the unit OP wants to build than OP asked for.
But lets agree to disagree. Gonna drop this discussion with you here now.

Also it's useless to quote only part of what I was saying since you left out the important part of it. Eh whatever. Waste of time. :roll:

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#15 » Nov 16 2017 01:17

This behaviour stops now! Both of you take a deep breath and consider your posts and how they breach the Membership Primers. There will NOT be a second warning.

Treat each other with Respect.
This can't be over-stressed. Intelligent criticism from an informed position is encouraged, but cut-downs and sarcasm are not. Preview your post before you submit it. Is it possible the other person will be insulted or will misunderstand your points? If so, edit it. If you're too irritated to think straight, come back and post later when you're feeling more diplomatic. Remember, our foremost goal as a community is to help each other improve, not to set up "pecking orders" or show off our superior intelligence/understanding/martial prowess. A little bit of humility in your posts goes a long way towards getting folks to listen to what you have to say: remember, many of the folks reading your posts have been playing for a darn long time and know their stuff.

Return to “Common Workbench”