This is less of a full battle report, and more of a "lessons learned" post in the guise of a battle report. Today I played a 3000pt Konor game against a mixed Space Marines - Adeptus Mechanicus army. It wasn't 1v2, the army was fully mixed. My army was bizarrely comprised of various Tau units that other players lent me so we could play such a large game, so I had a weird list. Here are the rough lists and outline of the battle.
1 SM Captain
1 Primaris Dreadnought
~10 Assorted AdMech infantry (?)
5 AdMech sniper infantry (?)
5 AdMech deep strike infantry (?)
1 Imperial Knight
3 Commanders w/ Drones
~40 Fire Warriors
6 XV8s w/ Drones
The Tau went first, and with Fusion Blasters and Railguns easily brought down the Knight and one Dunecrawler. The Imperium return shooting knocked out both Piranhas and one squad of Pathfinders. Reivers and AdMech deep strikers set up behind Tau lines but failed their charges. On Tau turn two, the battlesuits advanced, destroying two Kastellans and the Dreadnought, and leaving a Dunecrawler with five wounds remaining; the Fire Warriors turned around and shot the ensure deep-strikers into oblivion. The Imperium shot back, wounding a Commander with sniper fire and destroying a Devilfish- otherwise all firepower was pointed into the Stealthsuits in cover which did nothing. On Tau turn three, the last Dunecrawler and Kastellans were destroyed and the SM Captain was killed, along with 5 Intercessors.
With the bulk of the Imperial units destroyed and the Tau army largely unscathed, the Imperium conceded before their turn 3.
Tau victory by conceit, score 12-9.
Here are my observations from the battle.
1. The Imperium player, upon learning I was playing Tau, changed his Chapter Tactics from Salamanders to Raven Guard. Very annoying and unsportsmanlike, but not illegal. This blunted a lot of my shooting so I focused on the AdMech units first.
2. The Knight died hard. It wasn't hard to kill at all, which was nice.
3. Raven Guard Primaris Marines in cover are very hard to kill.
4. Longstrike and Hammerheads are reliable, but easily countered with Invulnerable saves. Missile Pod Commanders and CIB-equipped XV8s rip right through units with Invulnerable saves though.
5. I borrowed other players' units and used them WYSIWYG- bad idea. XV8s with 2xPR+MT are terrible, as are Commanders with 2xFB+MT+SG.
6. The Ghostkeel was pretty cool! As soon as my opponent heard about its defensive abilities, they ignored it for the whole game. It was still expensive with lackluster shooting though.
7. XV8s with CIBs are amazing- heavy firepower and good range made for seriously good results. Definitely my favorite XV8 weapon.
8. Seeker Missiles, Rail Rifles, and Smart Missile Systems all proved to be effective, valuable, and useful weaopons.
9. Lastly, I guess it's easy to make opponents concede with Tau? My last three games have been victories by conciet, by turn 3 or 4. Maybe there's just something demoralizing about playing against Tau?
Anyway, those are my observations! What do you think?