Purge the Alien

Battlefield:
Dawn of War

Night Fighting:
Yes

Terrain:
Heavy

Pre-Game Thoughts:
I was not sure exactly what my opponent had in mind when it came to his army list as it seemed to be one that would place emphasis on using tricks and distractions to get models across the board or onto objectives and have them sit there and go to ground, something that I don't even believe the Plaguemarines can do. My real concern was the multi-melta on the Hellbrute, Typhus's psychic abilities and the Vindicator. Everything else seemed like they could easily be dispatched through concentrated fire or low AP firepower from the third Crisis team and the Riptide.

Deployment:
My opponent won the roll to deploy first and placed his two blobs of cultists right up the middle behind a series of buildings to avoid them getting torn up in the first two rounds of shooting from the Riptide's Overchage. Typhus was deployed with one of the squads. The Mutilators were kept in Reserve. The Vindicator was deployed on my left and the Spawn on my far left, while the Plaguemarines were deployed on the second level of a building on my right.

My deployment saw me place the third Crisis team on my far left to look to split the Vindicator and deal with the Spawn once they got in close enough but to provide Markerlight support on the first turn for the Riptide. The first and second teams deployed on my right to keep out of range of the Vindicator as the distance travelled would be too far to make it worthwhile for the Vindicator to chase my teams across the board, leaving them to deal with the Plaguezombies, Hellbrute and Plaguemarines. The Commander deployed with the first squad.

I was not capable of seizing.

Chaos Turn One:
The Plaguezombies shuffled up, the Plaguemarines moved to the top of the building to look to get a better shot at my Crisis Team but was just shy of hitting my squads. My Hellbrute lumbered forward trying to get within range for the following turn, as well as the Vindicator. The Spawn ran up my left flank looking to get in and do some damage. However as nothing was in range, I had nothing to worry about.

Farsight Enclaves Turn One:
The Commander Team moved up through difficult terrain to the mid-level of a building to add a series of Markerlights to the Hellbrute, only to have the Commander remove it from the game with an Explode! result, garnering me First Blood. The second Crisis team then elected to fire upon the Plaguemarines as they were the only models they could draw line of sight to and removed a pair from the board. 0-0

The Spawn ate a wound from a plasma shot and the Riptide managed to just draw line of sight to a single Plaguezombie and Overcharged and managed to do away with three from the squad not including Typhus. Not a devastating turn, but with so much out of Line of Sight and knowing that I had another turn before models were going to be within 24" I was not concerned. 2-0

Chaos Turn Two:
The Vindicator rumbled forward and managed to draw Line of Sight with its Havoc Launcher to the Riptide and fired off, but the shot pinged off. The Plaguemarines moved across the rooftop and just managed to squeeze into 24" with a handful of their models and fired off some bolter shots, managing to cause a wound to a member of the second Crisis Team. The Plaguezombies all shuffled forward, making their way through difficult terrain, slowing them down to a halt.

The Mutilators made it onto the board and Deep Striked within 12" of the third Crisis Team. Unfortunately for them, they were met with the Interceptor fire from the Crisis Team and were promptly removed from the board. The Chaos Spawn ran across behind some solid walls looking to force an assault out of them and keep a cover save from the Riptide. 3-0

Farsight Enclaves Turn Two:
The Commander and his team lit up the Plaguemarines, adding for Markerlights to the Plaguemarines and through their combined weight of fire forced four off the board. The second team added their support using a heightened BS of 5 and actually managed to remove the four remaining Plaguemarines, leaving me with the horrible feeling I get when models disappear from the board. The third Crisis team added the support of a single Markerlight to the Spawn to help boost the Riptide's BS to 4 and allow him to kill off a single Spawn through firing off three shots with the Ion Accelerator and the twin-linked Fusion Blaster. 4-0

Chaos Turn Three:
The Vindicator was finally in range of my Riptide and fired off the cannon and managed to cause a wound, not something I was concerned about and was the model I wanted to combat the Vindicator as it would not suffer from ID and could get in range for Melta.

The Spawn attempted to charge my third Crisis team via hail-mary dice rolls and failed, not that the Spawn would be punished for it. The Cultists all shifted forward and Typhus was out of range of any psychic ability. 4-0

Farsight Enclaves Turn Three:
With the Plaguezombies shuffling toward my line and them having close to fifty models for me to go through over the course of potentially three turns of shooting, I knew I had to get to work and my Crisis Teams did not disappoint as they picked apart a squad of Plaguezombies with their Missilepods to five in a single squad between twenty-eight shots.

The third Crisis Team killed off the Chaos Spawn and the Riptide realizing the Vindicator was getting too close fired off the Fusion Blaster and three shots into the front of the Vindicator and only managed to pull off the cannon, which was a relief. 5-0

Chaos Turn Four:
Left with little choice and me still having all of my models, save a single wound on my second Crisis Team, the Vindicator rumbled forward and tank-shocked my Riptide, thankfully I passed my Leadership check and stepped to the side as the Vindicator could have potentially forced the Riptide off the board with a slightly above average Fall Back roll on my part. The Plaguezombies were now within 24" of my Crisis Team, however, no Psychic Powers went off against my teams. Leaving my opponent facing another gunline. 5-0

Farsight Enclaves Turn Four:
At this point I had very few targets except for a large blob and a Vindicator, as a five man unit of Plaguezombies does not scare 1,000 Points of Tau, even if it is in close-combat. The Riptide managed to blow the Vindicator to bits, getting the Explode! result needed to leave a gaping hole in the lane allowing the Crisis team to peg off two Plaguezombies from the five man unit as that is all they were in range of. The Commander's Crisis Team and the second Crisis Team whittled down the other unit to ten Plaguezombies, thanks to Typhus's Terminator Armour eating shots. 6-0

At this point my opponent tapped, knowing that Typhus was not going to be getting in range to actually do any harm to my Crisis teams, or at least enough to actually change the tide of the game and would still be facing down two Crisis teams and a Riptide's shooting.

Post Game Thoughts:
Having hidden army lists and showing them to your opponent after the game can lead to all sorts of fun, much like the Mutilators landing beside my third Crisis Team. I prefer this style than having open lists as I find it creates funky deployment shenanigans and people do not deploy as they would in a real battle. Overall, a solid game. If I was to add to the army list and go the next point value up, seeing as I was short a fair deal of points leading into the game, I might consider adding two more three man teams of Crisis Suits, one with either Burst Cannons of Flamers to deal with hordes and 2D6 away and a team with Fusion Blasters simply to create a solid platform to pincer vehicles like Vindicators who have AV 13.
Banned, for the Greater Good.

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: [BATREP] Farsight Enclaves v. Chaos Space Marines

Post#2 » Jan 17 2014 06:33

Lovely battle report!
I do have to say that I like the idea of "hidden" army lists.

While doing this, do you explain the load out on each unit?
Or is it relying on WYSIWYG?
I do find the idea interesting. I'm going to introduce this to my local club :D

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#3 » Jan 17 2014 07:21

I agree with De'terra, nice write up. It could be improved with some photos or diagrams but the text description is easy to follow.

On the hidden army lists I can see the logic in the reasoning behind it.

Why should I tell my enemy what units are embarked in transports. You do not see modern armies going to war with a painted sign on the Bradley showing that the platoon commander is inside - please shoot here for extra kill points!

OK for playing fair it does stop people cheating but having it written on your army list and having to show it if there is a dispute would also solve this problem.

WYSIWYG is the honest man's way to play as there can never be any doubt that unit X does actually have a fusion blaster and not just a flamer. Hence the reason why my models always look bare during transport as there is a large bundle of weapons in one corner of the box all magnetised together ;)

Markerlight Junkie
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 20 2014 04:01

We do play WYSIWYG unless there are no official models for a piece or someone has not finished a model or wants to try proxying models for experimental games.

We don't have to disclose anything outside of these are all of my models so you can see. There is never models hidden in cases and people are unaware that Reserves are coming in as that is something that must be declared. People generally are aware as to what a model is and what it does at my store as well. I do take my time and look at what is on a model as it goes down so I can adjust appropriately as I move around the board.

In terms of models having gear or changing gear to suit opponents, that does not occur as everyone has their lists written up/typed/available and is kept beside them at all times and then discussed afterwards.
Banned, for the Greater Good.

O'Shaska
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jan 31 2014 11:44

Very nicely done! A couple errata in your battle report: Chaos Turn 1, you say "My Helbrute" when I think you meant your opponent's Helbrute, and in Chaos Turn 2, you say that the Mutilators died to interceptor fire from a crisis team when I think you meant your Riptide.

I think your opponent threw way too little at you and did not consider what works against Tau out of the Chaos book. Against FE in particular, Forgefiends, Blastmasters, Heldrakes, and even Defilers are really frightening for players who field the all-XV8 type armies. He should have also switched out the Havoc Launcher for a combi bolter and moved the vindicator flat out to get in range. Maulerfiends can be pretty nasty if they don't get focused down.
Unity is a rock against the tides of conflict.

Return to “Battle Reports”