Tau Civil War: Empire vs Enclaves Escalation Campaign **Update: Game 4 up (in 8th edition!)*

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
jakinbandw
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau Civil War: Empire vs Enclaves Escalation Campaign **Update: Game 3 up!*

Post#19 » Jun 10 2017 04:24

Sounds like a bit of a pyrrhic victory for the Enclaves. Farsight is down, and Shadowsun slew him in honorable combat.

I think fusion suits are going to be on all Tau lists. They are so effective at getting rid of large units and are fairly cheap.

The Shrike
Shas'La

Post#20 » Jun 10 2017 08:37

Definitely a pyrrhic victory; I'll be sure to milk that in the fluff for game 4 haha.

Yes, fusion commanders I think will be most popular, though I did not use one in this game. But 4 fusion shots at BS 2+ on a mobile, resilient platform that can't be targeted if it isn't the closest unit, and clicking in at 160 points? Wow.

As for actual Crisis teams, I think flamers could actually take the cake, as it seems the humble vespid have usurped plasma. But we'll all have to play test and see. I'll have a non-narrative battle report up next week where I'll be trying some different things.

jakinbandw
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jun 11 2017 10:20

I'll look forward to it!

I disagree about framers. For the same number of points as a flame squad, you can get a bunch of gun drones that land more hits at much further away. The only thing you lose is deepstrike, but you can't deepstrike within flame range anyway.

The Shrike
Shas'La

Post#22 » Jun 11 2017 04:03

You lose more than that, you have to target the closest unit; which good generals will manipulate.

I think te sneaky pick for damage dealers are Pathfinders without markerlights (if you can choose not to equip them, have to check) 5 ppm for a Pulse Carbine, a scout move and access to pulse accelerator drones? Yes please.

The Shrike
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jun 11 2017 04:10

Darn, have to equip it. Still good.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#24 » Jun 11 2017 05:49

Solid report again and thanks for the observations on 8th. Seems a pity Crisis weapons have been discarded all in favour on one flavour :? Even worse, I barely have any spare in my bits box as I use them in conversions haha. :D

The Shrike
Shas'La

Re: Tau Civil War: Empire vs Enclaves Escalation Campaign **Update: Game 3 up (in 8th edition!)*

Post#25 » Jul 01 2017 08:30

Fluff Intro, for those inclined:

Spoiler!
Empire Prelude:

Aun'lo was positively giddy. O'Shaseera had felled O'Shovah, by her own hand no less. And it was under his command. This would go down as one of the greatest feats in T'au martial history. Of course, the battle itself had otherwise been a painful loss of forces. But without their leader, who among the traitors would stand and fight? As he pondered the implications, all glorious no doubt, O'Shaseera stepped into his chambers. She said nothing, stepping to the window overlooking the planet Lub'Grahl as its gentle rotation continued, unfazed by the loss of O'Shovah.

"Commander, I will ensure you receive a triumphal parade on T'au for slaying the traitor. We can replace a few battlesuits, they cannot replace their leader. Well done."

Shadowsun turned to face the Ethereal and wore a disgusted look on her face, "I want no honors for my deeds this day. O'Shovah should be given every funeral ritual befitting his stature as one of our race's great leaders."

Aun'lo was taken aback. Funeral rites? This betrayer had already been wiped from the histories. He tried to shake off her comment, chalking it up as grief for her erstwhile mentor. "O'Shaseera, I have sent my water caste negotiators out to each of the four planets in the rebel system. I have issued an ultimatum. Come to heel now, and all will be forgiven. We will reintegrate this system back into the Empire. Of course, some will pay the price. But I'll let the new Ethereal governors of the planets decide whom will feel the blade. In any case, I expect that within a day or two, we will have regained all rebel territory and then we can consolidate our forces with the Fifth Sphere Expansionary fleet."

Shadowsun turned back towards the planet, a continent-sized storm was brewing, its lightning visible from orbit. "You did not know O'Shovah at all... They will fight."

Enclaves Prelude:

Commander O'Dahyun called a war council of O'Shovah's top lieutenants. As second in command, he could have simply taken charge, but that's not how he was built. Farsight's firm insistence on meritocracy bred a unique kind of leader. His three chief lieutenants climbed the ranks with a combination of personal courage, daring, objectivity and humility. Had they been more typically ambitious, or stubborn or domineering, the Enclaves' cause would have been doomed. But because they were wired as they were, they had at least the potential to salvage the defense of the system. Shas'nel Ka'ahn and Shas'nel Po'ren entered the command bunker.

"What word from the streets Po'ren?" Asked the Shas'O.

"Our agents in the news agencies are doing their best to spin the loss of the Leader as a willful act of martyrdom. No one alive has lived under the tyranny of an Ethereal. It's counter-intuitive but I think that's working against us. The T'au water caste are spreading rumors of an extermination of the system if the governors don't surrender. We need a victory; a huge one."

"And Ka'ahn? What of our remaining forces?"

"Well, the governors are holding back their reinforcements for the System Defense Fleet, in fear of invasions on their own planets. Without Farsight, I don't think we're going to get them to budge."

"So what does that leave us with?"

"Two choices. We can go into a guerilla stature right now. I just don't know if the population has the wherewithal for it. It may play into T'au propaganda; working against us. Or, we can try to pool all remaining resources for one even fight. If we lose, their water caste are going to divide and conquer and make a separate peace with every planet except Vior'Los, which they'll probably vulcanize with a Rail bombardment. If we win, maybe we can convince the planetary governors to sally out with their forces and drive the invasion fleet from the system."

"A Formidable foe, unfathomable stakes, little chance of success; what are we waiting for?"

They all cracked smiles, and walked confidently to their deaths.

Mission: Scorched Earth

While Matched Play, the player who destroys more Power Ratings in their opponent's army is the Victor. When a unit is completely destroyed, score the power level adjusted for unit size and upgrades to the vanquishing player. A differential of 10 Power Level or more scores a Major Victory.

Lists: A few special home brew characters just for the finale!

Tau Empire Battalion Detachment- 6 Total Command Points

Aun'lo: Master of the Elements: Aun'lo may summon all four elemental powers simultaneously-73 (Power Rating 5)

Shadowsun: 2x Fusion Blasters- 209 (Power Rating 9)

Darkstrider- 45 (Power Rating 3)

4 Stealth Suits: 3x Burst/Advanced Targeting, 1x Fusion/Drone Controller-170 (Power Rating 8)

2x12 Strikers: 4 Marker Drones-232 (Power Rating 7/each)
1x10 Breachers- 80 (Power Rating 5)
Devilfish, Seeker Missile-132 (Power Rating 7)

2x1 Y'Vahra: Advanced Targeting, Target Lock-830 (Power Rating 20/each)
10x Marker Drones-100 (Power Rating 9)

R'Varna- 429 (Power Rating 19)
Broadside: Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x Smart Missiles, Seeker Missile, Advanced Targeting-200 (Power Rating 9)

Total: 2500, Total Power Rating: 128

Farsight Enclaves Vanguard Detachment- 5 Total Command Points

Commander O'Dahyun: 2x Fusion Blaster, 1x Missile Pod, 1x Cyclic Ion Blaster-160 (Power Rating 6)

Shas'nel Ka'ahn: Double Shot Pulse Blaster (Assault 4), Make Every Shot Count: Once per game, a unit of Ka'ahn's Breachers may re-roll all failures to hit while shooting. 3+ Save, 6+ Feel No Pain, Leadership 9- 84 (Power Rating 5)

Shas'nel Po'ren: Master Scout: Shas'nel Po'ren and one Farsight Enclaves Pathfinder unit within 6" gain +1 to any bonuses they receive from cover. -53 (Power Rating 3)

Ghostkeel: Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blaster, Target Lock, 2x Stealth Drones- 200 (Power Rating 10)
Ghostkeel: Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blaster, Target Lock, 2x Stealth Drones- 200 (Power Rating 10)
Ghostkeel: Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Flamer, Target Lock, 2x Stealth Drones- 171 (Power Rating 10)

1x10 Breachers-80 (Power Rating 5)

Devilfish, 2x Seeker Missiles-137 (Power Rating 7)

1x10 Pathfinders, 3x Railrifle, 1x Ion Rifle- 153 (Power Rating 6)

Stormsurge: Pulse Blaster Cannon, Cluster Rockets, 2x Smart Missiles, 2x Airburster, 4x D Missiles, Advanced Targeting, Shields, Stims-417 (Power Rating 22)

Vanguard Detachment

Hammerhead: "Farstrike" Ion Cannon, 2x Smart Missile, 2x Seeker Missile-242 (Power Rating 11)

3x Crisis: 6x Burst Cannon/Advanced Targeting, 6x Gun Drones-258 (Power Rating 12)
3x Crisis: 9x Flamer-207 (Power Rating 11)

3x Stealth Suits: Homing Beacon, 3x Advanced Targeting-138 (Power Rating 7)

Total: 2500, Total Power Rating: 125

The Shrike
Shas'La

Re: Tau Civil War: Empire vs Enclaves Escalation Campaign **Update: Mission Lists and Fluff for Game 4 up (in 8th editio

Post#26 » Jul 14 2017 12:10

It's in the books! Battle Report up Sunday Night :D

The Shrike
Shas'La

Re: Tau Civil War: Empire vs Enclaves Escalation Campaign **Update: Mission Lists and Fluff for Game 4 up (in 8th editio

Post#27 » Jul 16 2017 06:50

The Battlefield: The dead hive city of Damcletia is being buried by dunes. The Empire forces have deployed in the ruins, anticipating the arrival of the rebels; and lying in wait just as the Kau'yon doctrine teaches.

Tau Empire Turn 1

The inherent problem with a Kill Point mission is that it gives a huge advantage to going first...or so the conventional wisdom implies. But, as the Enclaves go to choose the deployment type, and as I chose Hammer and Anvil (and it was a 4x8), my opponent's Y'Vahras were in a pickle. Leave them back, and I could swoop in with my reserves on my turn 1 and do heavy damage. Vault them forward and the Ghostkeels and Stormsurge would go to work. My opponent elected to thrust them forward into cover and pray. If both Y'Vahras made it out alive, then he could overrun my entire table half.

Farsight Enclaves Turn 1

Welp. I rolled hot, continuing the trend from last game, and managed to just barely remove one of the Y'Vahras after firing everything at one of them. Even in a 2500 point game, that was a grievous blow.

Tau Empire Turn 2

My opponent got his revenge; just one Y'Vahra with a little help from the R'Varna smoked the Stormsurge with wounds to spare, and charged my Devilfish. His Stealth team began to make short work of my Pathfinders, and Shadowsun put four wounds on a Ghostkeel just within her range.

Farsight Enclaves Turn 2

My Ghostkeels pushed into the city while my Breachers led by Ka'ahn tried to counterattack against the Y'Vahra with Farstrike's Hammerhead joining in the carnage.

Tau Empire Turn 3

Shadowsun and the Broadisde teamed up to bring the nearest Ghostkeel down, and he started screening his R'Varna with the Devilfish and Marker Drones. Yes, I could jump out, but at least I couldn't charge his R'Varna (which lacks the FLY keyword). Smart play.

Farsight Enclaves Turn 3

I swooped out of my Manta holds for the Mont'ka, surrounding the R'Varna as best I could. A lone Stealth suit, barely drawing breath, dropped the teleport homer to put the Flamer suits in range before collapsing. It was super cinematic. Still, the R'varna still stood with a third of its wounds and was revving its NOVA reactor for a counterattack. On the other side of the city, Commander O'Dahyun zeroed his range finder in on O'Shaseera and prepared to exact his revenge for her felling of O'Shovah. Shadowsun was vaporized in a cloud of ionized fusion energy. Killing Blow indeed.

Tau Empire Turn 4

His Stealth team was cleaning up in the center, but things weren't looking good. The R'varna was dying, although it killed a ton of drones via Savior Protocols and two Crisis suits. The YVahra already lay dead in the sand. His Breacher team advanced towards mine, shot, and charged as they scratched and clawed at their erstwhile brethren. It was starting to dawn on the Empire forces that their expedition may never leave this system, that they might rot and turn to dust on this barren post-imperial colony, now destroyed by the civil war.

Farsight Enclaves Turn 4

The flamer suits advance into range to burn a squad of strikers out of a building, the Broadside falls to the last remaining Ghostkeel and O'Dahyun. Darkstrider stands alone, striking enemy Breachers with the but of his Carbine and looking for a mano-a-mano challenge against Ka'ahn.

Conclusion

We called it at turn 4; my opponent just couldn't survive another turn. He thought he was doomed by the aggressive move with the Y'Vahras but I think we doomed him with the mission design. A 4x8 was reasonable for 2500 points, in fact its recommended in the 8th edition rule book, but allowing me to choose the worst deployment type for my opponent's army was too powerful. I intended that to be a throwaway bonus due to the close nature of the Enlcave victory in game 3 but it was actually critical. Thanks to my opponent for being a sport and piloting the Empire forces. I think I convinced him to get into 40k! Though a Tau player he is not. Chaos all the way.

Fluff Epilogue, for those inclined:

Spoiler!
Farsight Enclaves Epilogue:

O'Dahyun embraced Ka'ahn as they surveyed the battlefield, the sound of distant pulse carbine fire echoing through the streets as their forces polished off the expeditionary fleet.

"Well fought brother, where is Po'ren?"

"He fell."

They stared in silence, unable to meet the other's gaze. Another soul gone in this senseless war. Po'ren would never think another thought, never feel another feeling. His consciousness, his sentience, such a precious gift of fate lost to the sands of time forever. At least they could live in peace. Surely, the Empire would let them rest now.

Tau Empire Epilogue:

A bodyguard dashed across the great hall, his feet barely registering a sound on the plasteel floor.

"My Lord Aun'Shi, a small corvette has just limped into Ta'you. Our sentries report that the Forbidden Zone expedition has been annihilated..."

Aun'shi lifted an eyebrow, but looked unperturbed. "Aun'lo was unworthy of an Ethereal's cloth. I was against placing him in charge of the expedition in the first place. Now vindicated, I will insist to the High Council that I lead the next invasion fleet myself."

Tau Civil War: Part 2 coming after our codex is released! Thanks to all who read along, it was a lot of fun!
Last edited by The Shrike on Jul 17 2017 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Tau Civil War: Empire vs Enclaves Escalation Campaign **Update: Game 4 up (in 8th edition!)*

Post#28 » Jul 16 2017 10:46

Small advice: posting both army lists at the beginning of the batrep is usually the way to go. Gives the Batrep some structure so the reader already knows what to expect on both sides.

The Shrike
Shas'La

Re: Tau Civil War: Empire vs Enclaves Escalation Campaign **Update: Game 4 up (in 8th edition!)*

Post#29 » Jul 17 2017 05:50

It's earlier in the thread, I post the lists a week or two before the battle.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#30 » Jul 17 2017 05:53

We have so many active threads going, you can't expect me to still know whether you posted some lists to this particular batrep a week ago or not. :D

Return to “Battle Reports”