My 1800 Tournament results from last weekend

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

My 1800 Tournament results from last weekend

Post#1 » Nov 05 2017 11:08

Hello ATT!!! Now, I posted a 1800 point tournament list that was greatly improved on by the community for a tournament I did the previous weekend. About 25 people other than myself showed up. I took notes, so I remember there were four Orks players (all going for mob tactics with very little vehicle support), three Chaos Space Marines (one of those was a Nurgle army with heavy Pox walkers and Hellbrutes), 10 Ultramarine players (all but one running armies with Rawbutt Girlyman and lots and lots of Tactical Squads), 2 eldar armies and 1 dark eldar army running heavy psychic, 3 Astra Millitarium (1 going for a static wall of guns and the othes having unbound armies with nothing but tank commanders and lemon rushes/other such metal box tanks) and another two Tau players (one with a stealth/pathfinder army, the other running a farsights enclave army with battlesuits. Of course, the farsight one couldn't field anything that made him different from me or the other Tau player, and unless GW releases a FE supplement at the same time as our core codex, there won't be much for him to work with).

Anyway, the tournament ran across the entire weekend, and I managed to score 3rd place with a army list radically different to the one I came up with. Unfortunately, I just cleared out my used and dated battlescribe lists, and I can't show you the list. I'll try and recreate it from memory. I pulled heavy battlesuits using CIB and Fusion Blasters. In all my battles, I pulled a strategy of letting the enemy target my softer and more tempting fire warriors while I flanked him using coldstar commanders and using my crisis suits to defend the fire warriors. I ended up using my long range heavy support to wipe the floor and keep the armoured units off my guys, and things went great.

Unfortunately, the detailed terrain the guy at the store had created was scrapped when the store was broken into two days before the tournament. The police arrived, and the scuffle damaged the big table. The scenery was already set up for display, and the table was literally broken in half in the scuffle. I'm unable to find the break-in on the news, so I'm not sure if it was major enough for anyone else to hear about it.

Anyway, the tournament went fine despite that. They used some of the in-store display scenery to create a ruins map on a pair of two square tables put end-to-end. I think that's about 85" long by 30" wide, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, my first battle was against one of the other Tau players. The objective was a point capture and hold, and the game type was matched play. He had (in memory due to my notes not extending that far), two battalion detatchemnts with an ethereal and a fireblade as the HQ, and full strike team complements. He didn't have any crisis teams, and instead took about 6 stealth teams in two Vangaurd Detatchments, and a single outrider with three 8-man pathfinder teams. He didn't have any heavy support or seriously tough targets (bar a pair of ghostkeels) and wasn't using any commander crisis units. He had shadowsun as the warlord, which proved to be a extremely weak choice. I had the first turn, and moved my coldstar units in to give him a few fast-moving targets to try and hit. I managed to take down two stealthsuits with the high-output burst cannons and managed to get the other to run in the morale phase later on. I then fired off 3 shots from my 2 railheads and railstrike, and managed to heavily damage one of his ghostkeels. I then moved my fire warriors forwards and hunkered down.

On his first turn, he moved in on the coldstars, and attempted to take them down. Unfortunately for him, he only managed to inflict one wound on a single unit due to the coldstar's maneuverability. As a result, he expended his movement phase in his eagerness to take out the fast moving suits. I'm not sure if this is legal (and the GW store guys ruled that it wasn't), but he attempted to charge at my coldstars, which I said was impossible due to their airborne status. I'm pretty sure that he was right now (after studying the difference between a actual flyer and a coldstar) but the store guys ruled that I was right, and left it at that. Anyway, after about three rounds, he'd only managed to take down a single coldstar and kill five of my 30 strike team FW's. As a result, on my last turn I managed to take down his remaining three stealthsuits and win. I took (in total) 6 casualties due to the distance between us, and the fact that he had gotten fixated on taking down the coldstars, allowing me to lead him away from my main force and stop him from reaching them in time.

My second battle was against one of the Orks players. He was playing a list using trukks and Boyz to rapidly get to my forces. He went first, and covered a lot of the distance very quickly. I kept my coldstars close to the force, and moved my fusion-equipped Crisis suits forwards when it came to my turn. I managed to obliterate three of his six trukks, and take out most of the orks inside them due to the troops-get-damaged-when-their-transport-explodes rule. He managed to get the other trukks within charge range on is next turn, and charged into melee. Due to my use of markerlight support, I managed to overwatch him at the equivalent of BS 2+ on one trukk, and BS 4+ on the other two. I managed to take out one more trukk, and heavily damage the other two. As a result, he managed to deploy the 30 odd orks that he'd put into the trukks and start chewing through my left flank. I then managed to take out 6 of the boyz in melee, while he took out 15 of my fire warriors. Eventually, I managed to defeat the boyz and destroy the empy trukks, but I took nearly 25 casualties in the process. I won, but only due to some lucky die rolls when resolving close combat on my post-assualt turn.

My third battle was against the Nurgle player. By this point, 18 of the competing players had been eliminated. The remaining armies were the Nurgle player, the farsight player, all three of the Eldar armies, and 2 of the Ultramarines (most of them were newbies with too much money to throw around and not enough experience to survive the first two rounds of the competition). At this point, a rule stating that your casualties could not be resurrected for the next battle was in place, and things were beginning to heat up. This round and the next three 'championship' rounds were left that would determine the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Runner-up places. My opponent had about 60 pox walkers, a team of Plague marines, 4 helbrutes (3 with Twin Lascannons and 1 with a plasma cannon; all with helbrute hammers) plus a Lord of Contagion (with Fugaris's helm and a Plague reaper) and Mortarion provideing formidible psychic. I got the first turn, and I managed to take down the Lord of Contagion before he even got to do anything. The pox walkers got shattered under my 3 submunition railgun shots, and my CIB commander managed to kill one of the helbrutes. On my opponent's turn, he managed to destroy the CIB commander and advance on my forces with the remnants of the Pox walkers. His lascannons managed to destroy one of my Hammerheads, and Mortarion basically slaughtered two of my three units of Fire Warriors using a combination of psychic attacks and the buffs he gave to his ranged forces. I managed to take down the player with some difficulty, and landed myself in the 3rd place position. My next battle was against the remaining Eldar player.

In this battle, I was up against a Craft world Eldar player using heavy walker support. He was using a skywalkers warlock coven as his HQ, and had a *BAD WORD DELETED!* of wraith guards and wasps. He also was using at least three hornets as fast attack. I managed to put up a good fight, and got the first turn. However, he very effectively used his walkers to overrun me, and my anti-weapons had little effect on his vehicles. As of the second turn, I was badly hurting, as Longstrike (my warlord) was dead, all my troops were gone, and my remaining commanders and crisis suits were fighting a futile battle. Eventually, by turn four, all of my army but three coldstars had been eliminated, and my high output burst cannons and missile pods were only scratching him. I managed to take out a single unit of wasps before my last models were swept away by his larger army. I placed third out of 25 people, which was quite a achievement considering the strength of some of the armies. Technically, only 24 ended up getting into play, as the 25th player (one of the IG players) fell ill before his match. If i recall correctly, he was diabetic and hadn't eaten, so he had to bow out. He was also a reserve player, as there was not a 26th person to play against him in the first round. The winner was the eldar player who defeated me. He came up against the last remaining ultramarines player in the final round, winning the day.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your comments on my tournament. Thanks to you guys, I was pretty well prepared in terms of a good list, although said list no longer exists. I was using Longstrike with railgun plus two other railheads (all with gun drones), with at least 3 crisis teams carrying dual fusion plus missile pods, as well as two pathfinder teams and three ten-man fire warrior teams. Other units included a squad of 6 tac drones and at least one ethereal and one fireblade. I also had three coldstars with velocity trackers and target locks, and a pair of fusion commanders. As well as this, I had a pair of Hazards which didn't get accepted as they were Forge World models. I ended up with slightly over the 1800 point rule, within the 10% overflow limit. Before I forget, there were prizes for the 4 top players. The runner up prize was a 50% off voucher for any GW purchase. The 2nd place guy and me got a medal with logo on it. Mine was bronze with the space marine aquilla on it, the other guy had a silver one with the symbol of the inquisition. The winner got a pewter trophy of a cracked off collum. It wasn't very detailed though. This was a local competition, and the prizes weren't that good. Personally, I think the top three should of got a voucher, not the runner up. I don't know why they wen't to the trouble of buying pewter awards, or why the financial black hole that is Games Workshop would allow a store to PAY for such things. I've actually checked, and the metal my medal is made from is pewter. I really don't know or care who payed for it. I just want my frickkin 50% off voucher!!! Anyway, comments?
Igne vir renovatur integra

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: My 1800 Tournament results from last weekend

Post#2 » Nov 05 2017 11:55

OK. Looked through my models and thought very hard about what models I bought with what upgrades. This is a approximation of my list. Remember that there was a 10% allowable overflow from the 1800 point limit, due to some of the rules being changed at the last minute forcing rapid list changes. The organisers gave a 10% increase in the maximum amount of points for your army, meaning that you could take 1980 points. I took around 1979 points, and I just realised that I only had one crisis team, and there was only one XV81 commander with full CIB, not 2. I also realised that I took a batallion detatchment for my troops to give extra commande poojtns, and put everything else into a unbound detatchment because I didn't have enough points to take all I needed to fill the right detatchments. Renember, this is only a rough approximation of what I bought, with some of the models here having slightly different stuff:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [32 PL, 437pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse rifle

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]: Honour blade, Hover Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 83pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle: 9x Photon grenades, 9x Pulse rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 48pts]
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight, 5x Photon grenades, 5x Pulse carbine
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse carbine, Pulse pistol

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 48pts]
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight, 5x Photon grenades, 5x Pulse carbine
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse carbine, Pulse pistol

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (T'au Empire) [74 PL, 1541pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 148pts]: 4x Cyclic ion blaster

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 142pts]: High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Target lock, Velocity tracker

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 142pts]: High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Target lock, Velocity tracker

Longstrike [11 PL, 201pts]: Railgun, 2x Seeker missile
. 2x MV1 Gun Drone: 4x Pulse carbine

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 372pts]
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Fusion blaster, Missile pod
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Fusion blaster, Missile pod
. Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Fusion blaster, Missile pod
. 6x MV1 Gun Drone: 12x Pulse carbine

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]
. 4x MV1 Gun Drone: 8x Pulse carbine

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 181pts]: Railgun, 2x Seeker missile

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 181pts]: Railgun, 2x Seeker missile

Created with BattleScribe

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 05 2017 11:59

I didn't read all off that wall of text, but it sounds like you got some things about the Coldstar confused.

The only protection the maneuverability of the Coldstar offers is the being able to stay away from the enemy and behind friendly units for the Character rule.
And of course he can get charged by any unit as long as he is in range.
The Coldstar neither has the hard-to-hit nor the airbourne special rules like actual flyer like the sunshark and razorshark. Something very easily to check with a single glance on his datasheet.

Also how did you overwatch with the equivalent of BS2+/4+ against the Ork player? Overwatch can't be modified. The best thing we can do there is a re-roll with CDS.
Last edited by Panzer on Nov 06 2017 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 06 2017 12:21

Sounds like you had a solid showing!! Congrats on doing so well. Out of so many players, it's always good to see Tau come in at the top few places. It sounds like there were a couple of rules mistakes but you clearly looked it up afterward and cleared things up.

However, I'm a little curious about your list:

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:I also realised that I took a batallion detatchment for my troops to give extra commande poojtns, and put everything else into a unbound detatchment because I didn't have enough points to take all I needed to fill the right detatchments.

Did you spend any command points in these battles? Because, if you take any "unbound" units, then you lose all the Command Points in your army.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 06 2017 12:27

Arka0415 wrote:Sounds like you had a solid showing!! Congrats on doing so well. Out of so many players, it's always good to see Tau come in at the top few places. It sounds like there were a couple of rules mistakes but you clearly looked it up afterward and cleared things up.

However, I'm a little curious about your list:

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:I also realised that I took a batallion detatchment for my troops to give extra commande poojtns, and put everything else into a unbound detatchment because I didn't have enough points to take all I needed to fill the right detatchments.

Did you spend any command points in these battles? Because, if you take any "unbound" units, then you lose all the Command Points in your army.

Oh. I didn't, and I also didn't know that. Well, blame my lack of a full rulebook, and my posssion of a abridged version in the form of the pdf. None of my gaming group shelled out for the full 180 page version either, so almost none of us have experience with command points. I still know about them, I just forget to use them.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 06 2017 12:28

Yeah, there isn't something like unbound detachments. Either all of your units are in proper detachments or you are playing an unbound army with non of the benefits of a battleforged army (and usually not even allowed on tournaments).

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Nov 06 2017 12:30

Panzer wrote:I didn't read all off that wall of text, but it sounds like you got some things about the Coldstar confused.

Thr only protection the maneuverability of the Coldstar offers is the being able to stay away from the enemy and behind friendly units for the Character rule.
The Coldstar neither has the hard-to-hit nor the airbourne special rules like actual flyer like the sunshark and razorshark. Something bery easily to check with a single glance on his datasheet.

Also how did you overwatch with the equivalent of BS2+/4+ against the Ork player? Overwatch can't be modified. The best thing we can do there is a re-roll with CDS.

I must of accidentally imported the jink thing from 7e into the 8e game. Damm. In regard to the BS thing, I just added to my hits, which I know comes after die rolls, but I habitually refer to it as increasing BS. Sorry for the confusion. Also, the GW guy didn't seem to know the rules either. He just accepted my rule interpretation right off the block.

Edited for swearing - El'mo

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Nov 06 2017 12:31

Panzer wrote:Yeah, there isn't something like unbound detachments. Either all of your units are in proper detachments or you are playing an unbound army with non of the benefits of a battleforged army (and usually not even allowed on tournaments).

Sorry about that. I use battlescribe, since the core rulebook I own is the pdf freebie, and the index doesn't list rules for detatchemnts. I know what they should contain, I just assumed that becuase Battlescribe has unbound as a detatchment option it is listed if you don't have the right amount of units.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 06 2017 12:34

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:
Panzer wrote:I didn't read all off that wall of text, but it sounds like you got some things about the Coldstar confused.

The only protection the maneuverability of the Coldstar offers is the being able to stay away from the enemy and behind friendly units for the Character rule.
The Coldstar neither has the hard-to-hit nor the airbourne special rules like actual flyer like the sunshark and razorshark. Something very easily to check with a single glance on his datasheet.

I must of accidentally imported the jink thing from 7e into the 8e game. Damm. In regard to the BS thing, I just added to my hits, which I know comes after die rolls, but I habitually refer to it as increasing BS. Sorry for the confusion. Also, the GW guy didn't seem to know the rules either. He just accepted my rule interpretation right off the block.

Yeah I know what you meant. Not working like that. No modifier in overwatch.
Your opponent was rightfully pissed. A bunch of bad calls by the judge in favor of a player who doesn't know his rules (that's you. No offense but knowing basic rules is expected on tournaments).

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Nov 06 2017 12:59

I forgot completely that you can't use markerlights in overwatch. I'm just very...forgetful with stuff I never use much. I mean, yes, I use markerlights A LOT, but this was technically my first major tournament (as in not just aranged with friends or one where I dropped out within the first ten minutes) and I was understandable rejoicing in my good luck at getting through that far. As well as this, this wasn't a major, major tournament. It was mainly casual, and there wasn't that many people. it was just a thing for the regulars, as the store I go to isn't exactly that big or popular. it's in East sydney, in the middle of a sleepy area. The official geedubs website doesn't even list it!!! Well, they're actally quite lax when it comes to listing their own stores on their google maps thing. I only stumbled across it by accident after I moved into my apartment so I could start going to uni.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Nov 06 2017 01:10

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:Oh smeg!!! I forgot completely that you can't use markerlights in overwatch. I'm just very...forgetful with stuff I never use much. I mean, yes, I use markerlights A LOT, but this was technically my first major tournament (as in not just aranged with friends or one where I dropped out within the first ten minutes) and I was understandable rejoicing in my good luck at getting through that far.

You can totally use Markerlights in overwatch. I recommend getting a copy of the Index and/or the rulebook itself.

Was it really the case that not only you, but the judges, organizers, store manager, and your opponents didn't have rulebooks either?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Nov 06 2017 02:28

Yeah you can totally use Markerlights in Overwatch. Just not the +1 to-hit bonus (which you only always get once btw. so still not sure how you managed to reach BS2+/4+). So basically just re-roll 1s and ignore cover are of interest there.

Return to “Battle Reports”