Let's Contact GW!

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Let's Contact GW!

Post#1 » Jul 09 2017 11:48

So, it looks like there's some support for contacting GW about our Index and hopefully seeing some changes in the Codex itself. First, let's discuss two areas:

1. What's the best way to contact GW? People who've done it before, and gotten responses, how did you do it?

2. What are the top 3-4 MOST IMPORTANT things we want addressed? We can only bring up a few things, as this must be SIMPLE. For example, here are the big issues I see:

1. The Markerlight table and loss of accuracy
2. Battlesuit points balancing
3. New Savior Protocols messes up Gun Drone vs Shield Drone balance

Smaller things, like individual questions, people can submit by themselves as FAQ issues.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Jul 10 2017 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Let's Contact GW!

Post#2 » Jul 10 2017 12:25

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167888706682800/

It's at the top of the page- membership around 5k and we know they have a huge social media department.
~Good Hunting

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 10 2017 12:33

Calmsword wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/167888706682800/

It's at the top of the page- membership around 5k and we know they have a huge social media department.

This seems like a good initiative. I'm afraid it'll turn into a jumbled mess given how many people are contributing it though. That's why I'm thinking about simplicity here. If they submit a giant "95 Theses" petition, I don't think it'll go anywhere. If we submit a short, sweet explanation of just a few of our ideas, it might get a response.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 10 2017 12:34

Agreed- I think they'll line up with yours after the administrator narrows it down to what we all seem to be concluding. I'm down.
~Good Hunting

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#5 » Jul 10 2017 02:24

I think the two biggest issues are how absurdly overpriced the riptide is, and how worthless the shieldline is, it can't reflect anything with save modifiers.
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 10 2017 12:10

I would say the big issue I see is we seem to be paying a premium for a lot of weapons with little to no return, IE we have a very poor PPW compared to other armies. Be it rail because of the low shot count to damage ratio or insanely huge prices for some of our high ROF items that we can no longer reliably hit well with. Something needs to give in this department as we no longer take part in half of the phases of the game where every other army will be save maybe IG.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 10 2017 12:40

Arka0415 wrote:So, it looks like there's some support for contacting GW about our Index and hopefully seeing some changes in the Codex itself. First, let's discuss two areas:

1. What's the best way to contact GW? People who've done it before, and gotten responses, how did you do it?

2. What are the top 3-4 MOST IMPORTANT things we want addressed? We can only bring up a few things, as this must be SIMPLE. For example, here are the big issues I see:

a. The Markerlight table
b. XV8/Commander points balancing
c. Broadside points balancing
d. New Savior Protocols messes up Gun Drone vs Shield Drone balance

Smaller things, like individual questions, people can submit by themselves as FAQ issues.

Any thoughts?

You can throw Broadsides, Commander, XV8 and Riptide all into the points balancing
But I'd say those are the main issues with T'au for now. I'd add the shieldline thing too, as it only return mortal wounds vs AP0 weapons - the Kastellan robots from AdMech do the same, but they have a 5++!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jul 10 2017 04:05

Dear Tau'fann

I like to add to the general issue with the indexes the problem with the German translations. Here is the link to the discussion thread on the forum 8th Edition - Translation Discrepancies. Since A.T.T. represents all Tau players regardless of whether or not they're native English speakers; and because there does seem to be quite a few problems with the German translation, I'd like to see this issue included in any communication to Games Workshop.

Thanks
TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 10 2017 04:35

The bargaining phase of denial that we have a terrible codex. We're progressing along well folks.

bobby hostile
Shas

Post#10 » Jul 10 2017 05:05

I did play testing for Privateer Press for 6 years and worked with the development team. I can tell you with a fair degree of certainty that saying simply, "Broadsides are overpriced!" is not considered good feedback. Detailing how they're close to points as a Hammerhead, but lack the maneuverability, less BS and considerably less durability would be received better.

For me, the Riptide can be ignored when list building. It's far too many points to place in one slot and what it does can be replicated by other units that are not self destructing. There should be an element of risk with the Nova charge, but as it is, after a few good shots there's no use in risking it.

Another point is T'au suits in general. These are supposed to be the "elite" of the T'au empire, piloting advanced tech, however their BS is no better than the average Fire Warrior. At the current point costs, T'au suits in general should receive BS 3+ to reflect this.

The Markerlight table. I'm adverse to having to utilize 2 hits for the ability to launch Seeker or Destroyer missiles at firer's BS. If you don't take any, there's literally no use for this. My suggestion would be to lower the table from 1-5 to 1-4, and allow you to target a marked unit at BS for Seeker/Destroyer missiles, should you have taken them.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Jul 10 2017 05:13

Jacket wrote:The bargaining phase of denial that we have a terrible codex. We're progressing along well folks.

It's not "we have a bad index" that we're in denial about; all the WH40K armies have bad indexes. We're in denial about GW ever taking our suggestions seriously.

"Ah, the naive Tau players and their quaint idea that we'll actually listen to their silly petition. These blasphemous blue xenos lovers are such fools! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!" -- overheard conversation from deep within the bowels of The Fortress of Arrogance, GW's headquarters located in Nottingham U.K.

Well something like that.

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jul 10 2017 07:31

I would always give away the amount of firepower for a higher hitrate.
I choose T'au because I like the idea of having less but longranged precisely hitting and maybe absurd strong guns.

The first time I played T'au was in the videogame Dawn of War. The Firewarriors were the only infantry unit in the game able to fire at targets outside the screen, even hurt dreadnoughts but had to setup their weapon like a heavy weapon (no fire on the move and a 1.5 or 2s delay before they might start to fire).

But still T'au have always been advertised as patient hunters or strong/swift strikers. And the essence of T'au was to balance both into one strong tactical gameplay.

Don't see this post as rant (okay, maybe a bit) as I enjoy the 8th edition; really.
In 7th I played 1-2 games per 2 months. Now I play them more or less on a weekly base.
But T'au doesn't feel like T'au anymore.

And I'd really like GW to know that.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jul 10 2017 07:35

So, what do we think about...

1. Markerlights
2. Battlesuit balancing

Anything else BIG?

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jul 10 2017 08:42

Drones
- targetable
- victory points

Does Longstrike buff himself?

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jul 10 2017 09:18

Temper your expectations. Expect to get rule clarifications. Asking for buffs or nerfs in the form of changes to rules or point lower (increasing) likely will not happen.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Jul 10 2017 09:25

I think there is nothing wrong with the rules. Play your army and learn to use the new rules.

Suits are amazing... Pointed very well.

Drones are amazing, learn to use them.

Sure the FAQ broke shield, but shield has been crap forever. AND Gun is amazing. I think losing shield for great gun drones was a wash in our favor.

Even markerlights are fine.

Shoot one... enough.

Shoot a lot, new options but not needed. It made large group pathfinders have a purpose. Also, ML are still amazing on the table and still make people made that we have them.

Point being, play more and learn more. Also there is a codex coming, so asking for fixes on a stop gap makes no sense.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jul 10 2017 09:44

Vay wrote:I think there is nothing wrong with the rules. Play your army and learn to use the new rules.

Suits are amazing... Pointed very well.

Drones are amazing, learn to use them.

Sure the FAQ broke shield, but shield has been crap forever. AND Gun is amazing. I think losing shield for great gun drones was a wash in our favor.

Even markerlights are fine.

Shoot one... enough.

Shoot a lot, new options but not needed. It made large group pathfinders have a purpose. Also, ML are still amazing on the table and still make people made that we have them.

Point being, play more and learn more. Also there is a codex coming, so asking for fixes on a stop gap makes no sense.

Yeah most Tau players in my area are giving up and quitting the faction despite wanting to play. The meta here is hyper competitive and they are folding in their armies until fixes come in. They stand no chance. Some of the opponents are even giving out handicaps in casual games let alone competitive where that isn't allowed. They've tried drones and troops to little effect. Tau stuff is simply too expensive for what it does. ML chart needs to be retuned a little so it's a bit easier to get that BS+1 for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyfriipc61A

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jul 10 2017 10:01

My victory ratio in 7th was about 65%.
On 8th I have won only 1 of 8. 500 points and only infantry.
I am still learning and I am still trying and resting a lot (and I am a meta rebel) but I can understand why people get frustrated.
Playing T'au currently is like kissing your sister: You can do it and it might make fun but it still feels wrong.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”