Vash's Farsight log, update army shots july 17

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Vash's Farsight log, update army shots july 17

Post#1 » Apr 16 2013 01:04

Hello.

Been busy re-building my Tau army. My last one I sold a couple of years ago.

I am one of those who love crisis suits. But the poses of the XV8 suits are so stiff and boring.
Now I am in no way an converting expert, but with some minor cuts I could give the XV8's a more dynamic feel. Atleast with my old Tau army.

I am using the same method as I did last time, but now I had the benefit of optional heads from the Broadside kit.
The Commander I used a forge world Broadside. Looks kinda boring unpainted, so I am hoping it will look better once it is painted.

The XV8 next to the "commander" is my XV8 Shas'vre. Is is a support suit. Thus no weapons atm. The antennas on his back will symbolise Multi sensor and command & control support systems.

Once I get started with the whole project Tau, I'll start a blog/project log. But I need my last miniatures and some additional spray paint before I can start.
I'll probably do some minor paint jobs until then of course. And I'll take some pictures as minis get done.
Last edited by Vash on Jul 17 2014 02:14, edited 30 times in total.

Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Crisis suit conversions

Post#2 » Apr 16 2013 01:17

Off to a great start there, and I must say that I like where you're heading with your poses. ;)

Don't be afraid to "push the limits" a bit more with your poses, to really convey the story/situation as we tend to under rate the importance of body language in our day to day lives. Try to mimic the pose of your Crisis suit in a mirror, and take a look at it from different angles. I find this the best way to ensure that my pose tells the right story, no matter what angle/side you look at the model. :crafty:

So get out that paint brush, as I'm looking forward to seeing these suits decked out in all your cadres splendor. :P
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#3 » Apr 16 2013 02:11

Since you are planning on starting a Project Log with this army, I've moved your thread to the Project Logs forum.

E.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Apr 16 2013 02:22

Shi'ur wrote:Off to a great start there, and I must say that I like where you're heading with your poses. ;)

Don't be afraid to "push the limits" a bit more with your poses, to really convey the story/situation as we tend to under rate the importance of body language in our day to day lives. Try to mimic the pose of your Crisis suit in a mirror, and take a look at it from different angles. I find this the best way to ensure that my pose tells the right story, no matter what angle/side you look at the model. :crafty:

So get out that paint brush, as I'm looking forward to seeing these suits decked out in all your cadres splendor. :P

Thanks. Problem I have... I am afraid of pushing the limits :D Did it before when I was younger and it always turned out way of intended course. Fly-one kicking Tau etc. Not going back there ;)

But hmm, maybe I should pose infront of the mirror. Just need to get my hands on a jet pack hehe. But your words are true. The poses do tell a story, and when you put it that way, it makes me rethink some of the poses a bit. If I can, I am going to re pose the commander. The Gale force nine glue really sticks to the model.

Eiglepulper wrote:Since you are planning on starting a Project Log with this army, I've moved your thread to the Project Logs forum.

E.

Thanks.
I'll update as much as I can, and try to contribute as well as I can.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#5 » Apr 16 2013 02:24

Gale Force 9 glue is really good, so have fun trying to get your Commander apart!

E.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Apr 16 2013 02:50

I think most people know by now how to do more dynamic poses on their XV8s, but I'll go ahead and post a picture of the cut out I did on the XV8 limbs.

..:: ARMS ::..
These are quite simple to cut. Use a good sharp knife, and cut underneath the shoulder pad. The left arm is somewhat trickier than the right, as the arm is slightly more angled. On the left arm you can't cut straight through. Here you cut two thirds and the last third is at an angle. Just make sure you don't cut the lower arm. Follow the lines on the lower arm for the angle.

..:: LEGS ::..
These are a bit harder to do. But with some patience and a good sharp and pointy knife :) it is easy.
To cut it, place the leg as in the picture and follow the knee joint with the tip of the knife. Draw the knife along the joint several times, digging deeper and deeper with each cut. After you have dug down a mm or two, switch side and cut on the opposite side too.
Once you have a one or two mm deep cut, you can actually bend the leg off, and the cuts you made will somewhat guide the bending so it breaks in a curve. It wont be perfect in the middle, but that you can easily fix after with the knife, just as easy as you fix mould lines.

..:: PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER ::..
Well this is both the easy and hard part. Getting the pose right and not making it look to extreme. The legs I have reversed because it opens up more angles by reversing them. Drawback is that we get a more human like leg and not a Tau leg.
I have done several poses over my time. They are all from a few years back, but if people wants to see some of them, just let me know and I'll post them.

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#7 » Apr 16 2013 11:03

Out of curiosity how does the new Broadsides lower torso and legs compare to the standard Crisis torso? I have a plan to combine the two to make a plastic version of the new commander model and am curious as to how they match up size wise though I know I'll have some cutting to do. As far as your models go the Broadside heads add for some great variety and I do like the "fins" on the back, I've always been a fan of re-posing the legs to make them more dynamic in their movement. Good job and looking forward to seeing more!
We must master ourselves before mastering our enemy.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Apr 17 2013 02:31

O'Ka'mesa wrote:Out of curiosity how does the new Broadsides lower torso and legs compare to the standard Crisis torso? I have a plan to combine the two to make a plastic version of the new commander model and am curious as to how they match up size wise though I know I'll have some cutting to do. As far as your models go the Broadside heads add for some great variety and I do like the "fins" on the back, I've always been a fan of re-posing the legs to make them more dynamic in their movement. Good job and looking forward to seeing more!

Well the broadside torso is pretty much build like the Crisis. Meaning like a triangle.
It could work but it involves some well placed cutting. The chest of the crisis needs some green stuffing or similar. As the chest centre plate is longer and goes down to the pelvis, basically where you would cut off the lower torso of the crisis.

Also, using the broadsides lower torso would mean that the Crisis gets a wider "hip".

Tbh, I think with all the work that would be needed, I think if you cut of the crisis lower torso carefully you could use it instead. Add a bit or two to get the tabard on the front.

Onto my crisis. Atm I don't have more crisis suits in my current army list. Shadowsun is the only suit I have yet to build... well of course the riptides too.
This topic will transform into a project log pretty soon.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Vash's Sa'cea sept project log (update pathfinders)

Post#9 » Apr 17 2013 04:36

Well I am currently free from work to tackle my studies among other things. So I am up early with the kids and can get some minor painting done too.
Here is a small update of a unit of Pathfinders. There will be 8 of them in this unit. These three act as a test, to see if I am satisfied with the colour scheme.
Using the Sa'cea sept colours, and just adding a slightly darker tone to it, I intend to use them in urban environment. At least in the future for my own gaming table.

I did paint one XV8-02 commander too, but that model was defect (bad casting) so I returned it to the store. The store clerk asked if I could paint it, so I why not. At least I can try out some colour schemes and see what it will look like on a battle suit.

I'll be continuing on my Pathfinders, and perhaps some updated pictures will follow. Not the most interesting thing to update with, but I gotta finnish painting what I started ;)

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#10 » Apr 17 2013 06:51

Vash wrote:
O'Ka'mesa wrote:Out of curiosity how does the new Broadsides lower torso and legs compare to the standard Crisis torso? I have a plan to combine the two to make a plastic version of the new commander model and am curious as to how they match up size wise though I know I'll have some cutting to do. As far as your models go the Broadside heads add for some great variety and I do like the "fins" on the back, I've always been a fan of re-posing the legs to make them more dynamic in their movement. Good job and looking forward to seeing more!

Well the broadside torso is pretty much build like the Crisis. Meaning like a triangle.
It could work but it involves some well placed cutting. The chest of the crisis needs some green stuffing or similar. As the chest centre plate is longer and goes down to the pelvis, basically where you would cut off the lower torso of the crisis.

Also, using the broadsides lower torso would mean that the Crisis gets a wider "hip".

Tbh, I think with all the work that would be needed, I think if you cut of the crisis lower torso carefully you could use it instead. Add a bit or two to get the tabard on the front.

Onto my crisis. Atm I don't have more crisis suits in my current army list. Shadowsun is the only suit I have yet to build... well of course the riptides too.

Hm thanks for the information, I think the way I'm planning to cut the battlesuit torso is going to lead to less ¨fixing¨ then would be expected and the wider hips won't be much of a problem for me but I digress and won't derail the thread anymore. Back to your project log :)
We must master ourselves before mastering our enemy.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#11 » Apr 18 2013 01:10

HAH, you are right, I must have ignored your commander ...

We both did have the Idea to turn the XV88 into an XV8, I actually had that Idea when I ordered the suit (over a year ago), because I loved the shape of the XV88 from Forgeworld, but I dropped the Idea first when I was not sure what to do with the Jetpacks.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Apr 18 2013 04:50

O'Ka'mesa wrote:
Vash wrote:

Hm thanks for the information, I think the way I'm planning to cut the battlesuit torso is going to lead to less ¨fixing¨ then would be expected and the wider hips won't be much of a problem for me but I digress and won't derail the thread anymore. Back to your project log :)

Don't worry about derailing. Your question is about converting crisis and I will learn more by discussions for future crisis conversions.
Your question has made me think of cutting of the lower part of the torso on future crisis models. So thanks :)

Che Gue'vesa wrote:HAH, you are right, I must have ignored your commander ...

We both did have the Idea to turn the XV88 into an XV8, I actually had that Idea when I ordered the suit (over a year ago), because I loved the shape of the XV88 from Forgeworld, but I dropped the Idea first when I was not sure what to do with the Jetpacks.

Well sir. I will counter you and say I ordered my FW XV88 over 4 years ago ;)
The plan was back then to combine two different FW suits. The whole army's suits where supposed to be with the XV88 FW body and limbs from another. Anyhow. That project killed it self by the silly amount of cash I had to throw out.

I'll be following your log and perhaps be stealing some ideas from you :p

Sabre
Shas

Post#13 » Apr 18 2013 09:09

Very nice colour scheme!! Where did you get the heads for the XV8?? are they from the new XV88?? they look sweet!

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Apr 18 2013 09:51

Sabre wrote:Very nice colour scheme!! Where did you get the heads for the XV8?? are they from the new XV88?? they look sweet!

Thanks!
The heads are from the new XV88 kit yes. That kit has 3 set of heads, where two of them can be modified with 2-3 different visors.
If you don't have XV88 in your army already, these are great additions both for gameplay and kit bashing.

Examples are:
- 2 plasma rifles, slightly large and a slightly different design pattern on them. One of my crisis has the XV88 plasma.
- 3 head options
- Support systems
- minor bits

Only problem with them is... a pretty large price tag. I was in luck and was able to trade some Mordheim terrain for Broadsides and crisis suits.

Sabre
Shas

Post#15 » Apr 18 2013 01:53

Indeed... I think it's a pretty expensive model, but that heads look great!

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Apr 18 2013 05:20

Small update for the log, but a rather big one for me.
My first unit done.
Pathfinders with marker lights. An eight man unit, who's sole purpose is to support their comrades in battle with marker lights.
This unit has become a test unit for the reminder of the army to be painted. I have used some new techniques, and a colour scheme I haven't used before.
Whats new for me when coming to painting technique is painting with washes to get the main colour (the blue grey armour).

I love working with washes, as it is fast and gives a lot of free bonuses, such as shadows and minor high lights if based with a much lighter colour.
Anyhow, there they are, the Commander Vash'O pathfinders (better picture will be taken once I have completed the army. This picture is taken at night, in a very bad lit room. Thank heavens I have a decent camera)

Comments and critique are most welcome, as I seek to improve over time with my painting skills. Always something new to learn. Bare in mind though... I am a speed painter.

*edit
Eeep! just saw that I haven't painted the bronze on the weapons circle thing :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Vash's Sa'cea sept project log (update Pathfinders unit)

Post#17 » Apr 18 2013 05:39

Lovely work Vash, love your XV ideas and head swaps, of similar mind too in updating my own suits.

Enjoying the new progress :)

E'nigma
Shas

Re: Vash's Sa'cea sept project log (update Pathfinders unit)

Post#18 » Apr 18 2013 07:10

Looking great Vash. My only gripe with the pathfinders is the one on the top left, he looks like he's never reloaded his weapon and is trying to figure it out in the field other than that the group looks great.

Return to “Project Logs”