D´el Amri Sept - Painting Diary

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Myrdin
Shas

D´el Amri Sept - Painting Diary

Post#1 » Sep 02 2014 01:27

My fellow ATT Commanders, and members of other casts. It is my pleasure and honor to present you with the following pictures and stories all centered around my imaginary Sept (or better to say Sept Protectorate, or Coalition - which ever you prefer) worlds.

My additions in this log will consist mostly of two things - Photographs of both my WIP and Finish projects that are related to my Tau army and small snippets of Lore associated with different things, like the color theme, the looks, the structure of both Military and Civilian personal, since my Sept is far from the Ethereals of the Empire would find... conventional. :)

As for the pics. - I am a slow painter, but i very much enjoy modifying and kit bashing, so there will be lots of projects going on (though few of them actually finished, but your feedback is motivational as any, and who knows, i might get more painting done, even though i enjoy it less than the rest of the hobby).
*I am currently using image shack for uploading, but they changed the interface and i am not sure if it will allow me to upload direct pictures even while using the free account. If you got a god place to store pictures please let me know.

As for the Fluff - i am a hobby writer, mostly writing Fantasy oriented stuff, but nevertheless i will try my best since sometimes the point is lost in translation. Also a disclaimer should take place - as English aint my native language, there might be (nah... i am sure there WILL be heh) some stupid and idiosyncratic mistakes on my part, so please bear with me at those times. I wont upload this much often though as it is rather time consuming, and i don't always have the time to sit down and write.

So without further due here we go !

Well....I say here we go but this is mostly just a placeholder to remind myself, but i will add something soon, just need to sort it out a bit.
For now please enjoy this Teaser :)

Last edited by Myrdin on Mar 30 2016 10:34, edited 2 times in total.

Myrdin
Shas

Re: D´el Amri Sept (pics and lore)

Post#2 » Sep 03 2014 03:19

Fire Warriors
What i am aiming for with most of my stuff is a nice tabletop standard. I tend to do some details, but thats mostly when it comes to bigger stuff. Models like fire warriors - which are numerous - i want to keep nice and simple, yet appealing.
More special stuff, like HQ, single models like Riptide, and some customized projects will get better details done on them as well.

Image Image

One of the details i however do, are the lenses. Simple and looks great, making the helmet look a lot better.

*These are the first Tau i ever painted, the cloaks are based on Fantasy Skaven cloaks, taking an imprint with a mold and them using greenstuff to get the same shape.
They were test subjects for the overall theme, so the color of the cloaks aint perfect, and later on you might see different types, as i was testing more color schemes how to improve it.
Last edited by Myrdin on Mar 30 2016 10:40, edited 6 times in total.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 03 2014 02:29

Some detail on the Drones seen above with the Fire Warriors.
Tried a cartoonish type of highlight. Turned rather nice, and it looks pleasant when on table, but was rather tedious to paint.

Image Image

Also one of the drones caries a finished freehand with some random symbols. After it all dried i must say looks rather nice and might consider on painting it on more drones (though then again, it takes a while and there are many more important things waiting to be painted, than drones)

Image Image

Hope you like em :)
Let me know what you think so far, any type of feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by Myrdin on Mar 30 2016 10:46, edited 6 times in total.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 03 2014 03:41

OK question.

WHERE did you get these Tau bases?

They seem to be resin bases and I don't remember seeing any of these bases before. I love the Tau markings on them.
I'm secretly hoping you created them and that you will share your creation process.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 03 2014 03:52

No i did not sadly.

Short answer - Ebay - long time ago. I found them under the "40k circular base" search on ebay. Didnt know who made them or where they were from but since they looked like Tau ruins i just snatched them in the auction.

Sorri i was not able to help, but it might be worth checking ebay from time to time. Like this i managed to get also some nice Eldar (most likely) and rock scenery themed ones. People sell all kind of stuff, so its just about luck really.
Last edited by Myrdin on Sep 04 2014 05:40, edited 1 time in total.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 03 2014 04:41

I can help you answer that question. They are from Micro Arts studios (makers of the Infinity game.) If you Google them, you can find those under "Tau Ceti" bases.

I've Provided a link here : http://shop.microartstudio.com/tauceti-c-3_101.html

Also Myrdin, excellent work! I love your Kroot in the first post. Might need to incorporate that idea into my army. Never even thought of that kind of cross over! Keep it up!

Czar Ziggy

Myrdin
Shas

Post#7 » Sep 03 2014 04:57

Czar Ziggy wrote:I can help you answer that question. They are from Micro Arts studios (makers of the Infinity game.) If you Google them, you can find those under "Tau Ceti" bases.

I've Provided a link here : http://shop.microartstudio.com/tauceti-c-3_101.html

Also Myrdin, excellent work! I love your Kroot in the first post. Might need to incorporate that idea into my army. Never even thought of that kind of cross over! Keep it up!

Czar Ziggy

Nice, so at least i know where they come from !

Anyway - Thank you for the kind words :)
The truth is, i was thinking about doing this type of unit for maybe a year now. But before i could get to it, i had to both get all the necessary bits and also "level up" my modeling and greenstuffing skills.

Again thanks for the comment. Once i get back from vacation i will make sure to post some additional pictures showing more detail.
I defenitely plant to expand on the idea and make few more, with different poses to make them more unique.

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Sep 04 2014 12:30

Really like the tribal look you went for. To me it seams like the time before there were more clans then the on Ta'u. Kind of just in the transition period when all the clan were first coming together. Haven't broken from there tribe yet to become one cohesive unit.

Your "cartoonish" highlights to me seem to really accent the Tribal markings.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Myrdin
Shas

Post#9 » Sep 04 2014 08:46

Since i still got some time left today i managed to upload some more pictures.
This time its the:

Piranha

Image Image

Image Image

Edit: Got too excited with it, and took the pictures before the pilots helm markings and lenses effect were this however is by now already fixed.

I highly dislike the way the standard Piranha looks, but didnt want to go for any type of crazy conversion (yet...) since i had just one at the time this was painted. Instead i customized it slightly by add two little wings from the Vendetta/Valkyrie set. Lets the model maintain its former look, but also adds an element of "being different".
Last edited by Myrdin on Mar 30 2016 11:04, edited 10 times in total.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#10 » Sep 08 2014 04:01

As promised.... Proto-Kroot

The idea for this project was highly inspired by the Protoss from Starcraft universe. I always thought it would be cool if some Kroot feasted upon powerful psykers multiple times and after "shaping" themselves, they would turn into extremely potent psyker assassins, able to appear, eliminate the target and then disappear while sowing fear into the ranks of the enemy.

As far as the modeling process itself goes:
*The main part is a standard Kroot carnivore. I filled his beak with GS to make a terrain for the bandana over his face (otherwise the GS got sucked into the cavity in the beak and it deformed).
*The blade itself is a cast i made from my instant mold and imprinted into it one of my Infinity miniatures. Since its rather thin, not only do i have to use higher ratio of the blue GS 3:1, but i also added a thin wire inside, just to add some structural integrity to it.
*The cape is a standard thing i do for almost all of my infantry Tau models, and i wanted to test it out to see how it looks, since the shape is rather dynamic and doesnt cover much of the miniature (which i would prefer so next time i might just hand sculpt it properly)
*Blade trinket I cut of the knife from the left arm, broke it slightly in the elbow a twisted it (just a little). GSed the rest, made a "container" for the blade to attach to, and added the tiny circlet from my Samurai miniatures box produced by the Wargames Factory.
*Red cloth piece Using the mold a made an imprint from an Dire Avengers Exarch waist cloth, made it from GS then filled it till it was thin enough. Attaching it to a "battle damaged" Tau shoulder pad.
*Adding loincloth made from Greenstuff, with a type of "belt" (more like a rope), (even though the Kroot kinda.... well don't need it really) to give him a slightly more civilized look. Also made the jacket a tad bit longer.

The Color scheme was rather random, and i changed it drastically while painting, to more of a color scheme fitting to my army. Added high amount of highlight markings to enhance the mystical look. The blade itself is me, trying the wet blending technique for the very first time, so i know its not all that great but one has to start from somewhere.

The base is not finished yet, as i wanted to go for standard rock/grass base, but then decided to go with snow themed one, and have yet to get the actual snow first.

Now for bigger pictures:
Taken without lighting
Image Image

Pictures taken with lighting
This one is my favorite, to me personally this picture is really bad ass (might even force me to change my Avatar Icon :D ) Especially the eye looks like its glowing - i tried to do the glowing effect but didnt turn quite well, though its not a complete waste either.
Image Image Image

I am really proud of this guy - it was a shot in the dark with me undergoing this project, but finishing it, helped me a lot to see the scale of my current abilities and the time and preparation required to do something like this.
I really enjoyed this, and will sure as hell do more of the Proto-Kroot miniatures, with varied more original dynamic poses, and maybe even the two handed Protoss Dark Templar psi-scythe.

I will be also adding a completely customized "Codex Entry" page for them soon. Currently i have a rough version of it ready, need to get down to write the backround story and clean it up. With the whole fluff, and an actual stat line as they are supposed to be much more than just a simple Kroot (game wise not, but fluff and model wise.... yeah baby ! ^^ )
Last edited by Myrdin on Mar 30 2016 11:09, edited 5 times in total.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#11 » Sep 15 2014 04:46

Crisis Suit

And no he is not WYSIWYG - i really dislike wysiwyging, as i feel it limits your imagination and forces you to make your miniatures less bad-azz (intentional misspell) than they deserve to be. Especially since i love to customize almost oll of my miniatures look in some kind of way to fit with the fluff they follow. Though i might eventually cut off the weapons and magnetize them... eventually.... one day.... maybe... :)

Image Image Image Image

The suit - a magnet embedded in each leg and a magnetized base. Made from GS and old wooden clip
Image Image
Last edited by Myrdin on Mar 30 2016 11:39, edited 7 times in total.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 21 2014 09:09

Hey guys

Got some WIP pictures to show. This time its the HQ conversion.

Cadre Fireblade:
This guy is from the Panoceania Infinity game system. Since i wanted to include some high ranking humans into my army, and i tend to run Fireblades often, after seeing how awesome this guy was i decided for him.
*You might notice the damage on the rim of his base - this base was bigger size a 30 mm one, and i had to cut it down to 25 mm size. Quite tiring believe you me -___-
Image Image

Ethereal:
The well known, popular conversion from Reaper Miniatures. Once i saw this, i couldnt get the image out of my mind, and decided to make one myself. Added a few accessories on the belt. Also was not sure if i want to change the staff point, as this looks more or less fine.
Tried some preliminary colors to see the contrast - which was rather stupid in hindsight since she does not yet have a basecoat >__<
*you might also notice, she has no nose as she is ment to be a Tau unlike the Fireblade who is Human. Managed to file it down without doing any damage to the face as a whole.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#13 » Dec 18 2014 02:43

Hey guys

After some time of inactivity I bring you some new updates.

Scenery Base
Reserved for Shas´O R´alay

Image Image

Now you might ask, why is there a mutilated Ork lazing around this neat marshland type like base ? Well.... the answer would be... ;)

As you can see its still WIP, as i need to finish R´lay himself, and then somehow fix him to the base without damaging it too much.
Also i am considering cutting that orks hand and point it at R´lay, but again, that would be unnecessary damage to a finish product. And the base is supposed to tell a story :)

Few shots of the Ork Himself:
Image Image
Last edited by Myrdin on Mar 30 2016 11:45, edited 3 times in total.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 18 2014 05:33

That Ork base is exceptionally great... in fact, all of your bases are top notch. I enjoy your color scheme and painting too... it's clear that you really love your army because it shows in your execution.

I'm digging the tribal-esque painting. Keep up the good work, mate. Really looking forward to seeing a Riptide. nudge, nudge... wink, wink

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Myrdin
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 19 2014 02:20

Thanks reconjsh :)
I do enjoy the modeling part of this hobby more than actual painting, and big bases offer great opportunity.

Every comment, positive or negative is much appreciated as it gives me back some feedback. Makes me more motivated so to say hehe

As for what i would like to work on next: A R´Varna is slowly getting itself ready but not yet, not yet (arms probably need pinning first). a Broadside with HRR a Stealth Suit and one of my "Sniper Pathfinders" are planned and will most likely be what i will go for during the Christmas holidays (actually i already started on the bases)
.... oh... and there is also a Mounted Knarloc coming eventually :P (but not sure when i get to him)

Myrdin
Shas

Post#16 » Jan 08 2015 05:26

Hey guys !

Some more pictures to share. This time around it is....

DX-6 Remora Drone
Ha didnt see that one coming did ya ?! Actually... me neither. But once these guys finally arrived and built two of them up, i just fell in love with that mini... its soo cute ! :3 Like really ! Took me back to the old days when i, at that time still a little kiddo was playing with plastic tanks, and planes and what not.
Seeing that nostalgic stream of thoughts, i just HAD to get down to the "workbench" and paint me one of those immediately.
Hare are the results. As always complimented with highly detailed custom base.
Enjoy :)
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Overall i am pleased with the drone. Quite simplistic, as the rest of my army, yet with its own unique touch.
This time around you can see the tribal painting taking a bit more to date look to the standard tau markings, yet still keeping their own unique vibe. As for the thickness of the color... well lets just say, i didnt expect that Skull White is so thin, and had to put loads of layers on (should have mixed in with Bleached Bone for consistency but i only thought of that once the deed was done).

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Myrdin
Shas

Post#17 » Jan 08 2015 05:32

Also i have a little teaser for you !
(And i think Reconjsh might enjoy this one actually).

Riptide Teaser WIP

Base - as always when it comes to the bigger ones, i strive to make bases that have some kind of personality or tell a story.
I believe this one really does have that vibe. Its still a WIP but see for yourself ;)

Bare in mind this is just a WIP sneak peak. The base has still at a way to go till its done.
And with the big guy (the base has multiple magnets, and same ones are embedded into the XV105 legs, allowing for better transportation, and painting).

As you can see i used multiple parts on him. Most likely he will be my O´Vesa, since i tried to make him look a bit more unique looking than the usual XV105 is.
I will not show more, as there is still work that needs to be done on it, and i don't wanna spoil it too much. You´ll just have to wait for him to be done.

The last thing i have to show is not really anything new, rather actually something of the old days ! I got this guy from a friend of mine. Not completely sure what exactly he is - i believe its a Weapon Platform Operator Guardian. He is quite heavy due to being made from metal. I am however very happy, as it was a rather nice gift and he will be proudly added to my Eldar Kill Team
Last edited by Myrdin on Jan 17 2015 03:52, edited 1 time in total.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#18 » Jan 17 2015 03:44

Tau´va Brother and Sisters from all the corners of the Universe !

Due to circumstances (switching professions) i have my doubts i will be able to even touch my miniatures and all the various modeling tools and whatnots sooner than 3+ months from today.

As such, i prepared one last Eye candy to bolster your will until i will be able to continue with my army !
Those few who enjoy my diary could have already seen my Proto-Kroot Tera´zul (yes his base is still not done, but i have one very neat on the way, though that will have to wait as i said).
Some might have though "I wonder how this master shaper could look even more badazz".... Fear not ! For he has sensed your thoughts and came back as a true leader of his people... atop a Knarloc !

Proto-Kroot Knarloc Rider:
(Tera´zul Mounted)

*It is my last update for the time being, hope you enjoy him as much as i do.

Image Image Image
Image Image

Bigger pics for more detail (i know i know, he s not painted why bother :P)
Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Myrdin on Mar 30 2016 11:47, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Project Logs”