Apocalypse Kroot - WIP

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Apocalypse Kroot - WIP

Post#1 » Apr 19 2015 02:50

As mentioned on the army lists forum I have started working on a kroot horde list, this log will be of my progress to having one I can be proud to put on the table. Before my layoff from all things tabletop I was a 15mm historical gamer and I think a lot of this still shows in my attitude to painting and the hobby in general. At the moment I tend to go for an overall mass effect on the table rather than be really strong on attention to detail of each individual model, that is something I hope will change a little over time.

After a bit of hobby time over the past 3 weeks I at least have something I would not be too ashamed to put on the table so I thought it was worth starting the log and maybe it will show progress over time.

So firstly we have the colour schemes for the 4 kroot squads. I never wanted a uniform look for my savage kroot but rather than just be variable early play showed me how much I needed this to tell my units apart when there are this many kroot on the table. So I came up with a different look for each squad.

I have made a particular effort to find ideas to make the head colours different - because when they are on the table I see them from above and that helps with identification. How they look on the table is like this

Hopefully it is also clear enough that the krootox and hounds are painted up like their kroot squads.

When it comes to the HQ is where I think my lack of detail is rather showing. First we have the insane Aun'Kurtz, driven mad by the horrors of war and who is setting himself up as a god

Then we have Shas'O Willard who has not yet decided whether to carry out his orders to terminate Kurtz's command

And finally for now we have the heavy support line. The Skyray is not finished, it still needs some accessorizing with the odd dead animal and some kroot accessories. I love the kroottide but I am really going to have to go over the paintwork some time in the future to make it into the centrepiece model it really deserves to be.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Apocalypse Kroot - WIP

Post#2 » Apr 23 2015 01:47

Love it man, Those are some cool Kroot and I would absolutely love to see GW make a Kroot dex as I think your guys would fit in perfectly. Please share some more with us as you go along in your hobby, as Kroot can never get enough love around here. Thanks for sharing these with us nic.

-Shock
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Jul 04 2015 06:18

So a lot of modelling going on now but not too much photography.

I do have some cover art for my army lists drawn for Fathers Day by my lovely daughter

Also I have some kroot pathfinders that should have made the replacements challenge but I did not have a chance to submit them

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#4 » Jul 04 2015 08:13

I love the gesture in the artwork, that is excellent imagery. The Krootfinders are pretty cool too, can we get a closer shot of the Krootide?

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#5 » Jul 04 2015 03:01

Here are some close-up of the heavy gun elements of the list.

First we have the centrepiece model of the army, the kroottide

Now we have the broadside cobbled together from scavanged parts from battlefields

And last but definitely not least - on the tabletop it is a bit of a star - the skyray doubling up as a meat larder

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#6 » Aug 09 2015 10:22

So life is definitely getting in the way of hobby but some work is getting done.

Sitting on the workbench is the first of - hopefully 4 - kroot crisis suits.

Last edited by nic on Aug 09 2015 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 09 2015 12:04

Looking awesome. The conversion work, especially on the XV8 and XV104, combined with the basing scheme sells it perfectly.

Were I to comment, the Sky Ray hasn't reached the same level of Krootification as the suits. Adding a kroot poking out of a hatch or catching a ride seated on the exterior might look cool.
- Christian

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#8 » Aug 09 2015 01:45

chmcclellan wrote:Were I to comment, the Sky Ray hasn't reached the same level of Krootification as the suits. Adding a kroot poking out of a hatch or catching a ride seated on the exterior might look cool.

The ideas are adapting and adjusting as I go, as I move on with the kroot suits I am tending towards more radical Krootification. The kroot themselves plus the central characters (Kurtz/Willard) a modeled pretty straight - it is the looted/adapted equipment that seems to work better with more adaption and general jungle-ness.

The Sky Ray looks quite good on the table and I think the dead cow adds a humorous touch but I also agree that it needs a little more :sad: . What I am not sure about is quite what more it needs, until I make up my mind it will have to stay as it is. Thanks for the feedback and any suggestions are welcome - and will be kept to one side until I have caught up with the backlog a bit more and am ready to revisit that model.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#9 » Sep 05 2015 10:20

Having put together some more of the kroot crisis suits (for a tournament tomorrow) I have managed to build the first try-out for the next thing on my workbench - part of an allied kindred with very exotic tastes in meat. Counts-as allied Eldar aspect host

He is still on the workbench but it is the first of a planned 10 swooping hawks.

The shining spears are a bit more advanced and I have a squad there that is more or less tabletop ready

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#10 » Oct 10 2015 04:14

For my birthday I have a serious upgrade to my man-cave

Now I just need to learn how to use it!

The jet-pack kroot on the painting stand is going to be the Recon drone to go with my pathfinder squad. Some more modelling work to be done after base coating.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#11 » Jan 13 2016 02:11

Aha, photobucket behaving a lot better today.

So first a couple of workbench pictures of my new Broadside complete with hoverboard - because it was "dude, where's my hoverboard" time when I started on it.

Then there is the army-check I did ahead of the tournament this weekend, this is the 1850 list I am taking.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jan 13 2016 05:42

Your army is beautiful! You are a masterful Shaper and it is excellently executed concept.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#13 » Jan 14 2016 01:44

Aj'T'au wrote:Your army is beautiful! You are a masterful Shaper and it is excellently executed concept.

Thank you for your kind comments. I hope the people voting for best painted see it your way.

Zigmunth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jan 29 2016 05:53

Is it just me or do the pics fail to load?

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#15 » Jan 29 2016 06:11

Zigmunth wrote:Is it just me or do the pics fail to load?

They are on photobucket which is failing to load, so I would guess there is something up at there end. No idea how long it will last.

EDIT back again, photo bucket was just down for maintenance

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#16 » Mar 31 2016 10:27

Time to add another squad of Vespid to my mighty horde!

Technically I can now field 3 units of Vespid but generally I will stick to running 2. Allied Advance Cadre here I come.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#17 » Mar 31 2016 10:40

And from a couple of months back a pair of pictures of my Ghostkeel

And a close-up to try to show the weathering effects I was playing around with

That model went into my tournament list more for its appearance than its performance on the table. It helped me to a respectable 3rd in the painting competition so I was happy with the decision (it is of course easier to be happy with that when I still went 5-0 in games even though the lone ghostkeel never really did much).

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#18 » Jun 04 2016 12:25

I got myself a Y'Vahra when I was at Warhammer World a few weeks ago - and a scenic base plus water effects from Secret Weapon Miniatures in a painting contest. Put the two together and I now have

For the weathering effects I went for something a bit more naturalistic from my old WWII modelling days. I am not 100% sure it fits with the 40K aesthetic so comments are very welcome.

Return to “Project Logs”