ShasODerpy's Tau, Shock-Drop Troopers (WIP)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

ShasODerpy's Tau, Shock-Drop Troopers (WIP)

Post#1 » Jul 29 2015 12:54

It's been awhile since I've started 40k. I don't even remember exactly when.

My very first army being Tau, I did not think I'd ever get past 1.000 worth in mini's. "No time", "Too much painting", or "I play it for the game, I don't care about unpainted mini's"...
Well, I was wrong,
I enjoy assembling models and painting them more then actually playing the game!
Having counted today, I have well over 3.000 points in Tau and atleast 1500 more in unopened boxes.
Most of my painted stuff is from when I was still learning on various painting techniques. I feel I have progressed enough to call myself "a decent painter".

Since September (ish) last year I've been working on a new paint-scheme, and I intend to continue expanding this scheme into my main army.

Here's a list of what's been painted:
-1 XV8-05 Commander
-5 XV8 Crisis Suits
-2 XV9 Hazard Suits
-1 XV109 Y'vahra
-1 Firewarrior Shas'la
-9 Pathfinders (3x IonRifle, 3xRailRifle), including 2x Utility Drones
-3 Sniperdrones + 1 Spotter
-14 GunDrones, 1 MarkerDrone, 4 MissileDrones
-1 Piranha

And some images! (is anyone here familiar on how to downsize these?)

XV8-05 Commander with Drones, weapons are magnetized.

Crisis Battlesuits, magnetized

XV9 Hazard Team, BurstCannon variant is magnetized.

XV109 Y'vahra
ImageImage

Pathfinder Ion Team

Groupshot for a 750pts list for an earlier 1500 2v2 battle.

-Derp
Last edited by ShasODerpy on Sep 10 2015 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: ShasODerpy's Tau, Starting an army. (WIP)

Post#2 » Jul 29 2015 02:36

Updated first post with pictures.
Some came out rather blurry, will need to borrow an actual camera...

Taking these images had me realize, that though I call them "Done". I still need to add grass, and apply a few transfer sheets (squad markings)

Current project is finishing up a last Crisis suit (6 total), and uh.... apply grass/squad markings to existing suits :roll:

Short break after that.
I'm reluctant to start on any new Tau mini's until the new codex comes around.

-Derp
WIP Tau

Stygian
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 29 2015 02:45

I love your models (probably because they have a similar color scheme to mine) but I'm curious about the guns on your crisis suits. Where did you get them, or did you make them?

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 29 2015 02:57

The "hands" + guns? or just the gun?

The XV8's were assembled using Forgeworld "hands". The magnetized guns are simply GW weapons cut in half.
In image #2 "Crisis Battlesuits, magnetized", the left XV8 is using a pair of guns made by PaulsonGames.

-Derp
WIP Tau

Sniperhavens
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 29 2015 11:04

Your "glow" is exactly what I've been failing to achieve on my tau. what colors are you using and what technique?

Myrdin
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 30 2015 06:06

Like the color scheme, love the attention to highlights and the fact that your bases are customized, and not just plain ones is another + in my book.
Lovely army will be looking to see more ;)

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jul 30 2015 08:31

Thanks guys! :)
Sniperhavens wrote:Your "glow" is exactly what I've been failing to achieve on my tau. what colors are you using and what technique?

Wich glow exactly? the blue on Suit-vents / Yvahra weapon?

Myrdin wrote:Like the color scheme, love the attention to highlights and the fact that your bases are customized, and not just plain ones is another + in my book.
Lovely army will be looking to see more ;)

I'm particulary happy with how the highlights turned out.
Back in September it was the first time I've actually tried my hand at it, and I found the results to be a shocking improvement over anything I've tried before.

-Derp

Edit: posted too fast :roll:
WIP Tau

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#8 » Jul 30 2015 02:51

That Y'Vara is a credit to the idea of a centerpiece model. Its a thing of beauty.

I am going to have to go away and see if I can work your jet-pack glow magic sometime.

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#9 » Aug 06 2015 07:42

nic wrote:That Y'Vara is a credit to the idea of a centerpiece model. Its a thing of beauty.

I Couldn't agree more, the Y'vahra is so boss! Your paint and pose sell the model - with the bigger jetpack he's so substantial.
- Christian

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: ShasODerpy's Tau, Shock-Drop Troopers (WIP)

Post#10 » Sep 10 2015 11:20

Finally had my Forgeworld Order arrive mid-august! (Ordered in April :sad: )
Composed of R'myr, R'alai, 2 Tetra's and an XV9, I've decided to wait with these guys until I see some solid information surrounding the rumored Forgeworld Tau Book.

Combined with the upcoming GW Tau release, I'm very reluctant to start on any major Tau projects. I'd just hate finishing up a pair of suits, only to figure out they turned out somewhat incompatible, or lacking WYSiWYG due to a new ruleset.

Instead, about a month ago I've started on a side-project (non 40k), A Revell Type XXI U-2540 U-Boat.
Though I'll refrain from posting Non-Tau imagery on our Orbital. You can see some images here

This one's been gifted to me about 10/11 years ago, and it's been collecting dust ever since. I'm very happy to finally see this one up in my display.

Learned a lot during the assemblage/painting steps. a lot of things I'd never had to do/wanted to do before. Most notable was figuring out how to shade such a large area, and blending in rust effects. (mixing a shader 50/50 with matte varnish works great!).
The experience gained here will be invaluable when attempting some Tau vehicles.

Back to Tau :fear:
-------------------
Working out more specifics on my Tau army and it's Fluff.

I'm set on the paint scheme. Very satisfied with the results myself (and getting feedback that makes me blush).

Heavily leaning towards a Tau "Shock" Detachment that specializes in close-dropping Battlesuits equipped with Flamer weaponry.
These would burn out/scatter entrenched positions, and support heavier Tau equipment by denying enemy movement through "walls of flame". (XV-109 anyone?)

Detachment Shas'O would be a veteran to piloting an XV9 Close-Support-Armor. With experience gained in the field, he'd be familiar with the close-support role, and Hit&Run tactics.
Recent Forgeworld order may or may not be related to his upcoming conversion :)

-Derp
WIP Tau

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Sep 10 2015 07:44

Really love your suits. Can see the care and attention to detail you have put into everyone. The depth of color you achieve in every part section of the model brings them to life! Might try your shader tip.. thinking about painting my Skyrays / Riptide.
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Oct 24 2015 04:04

I've been idle for awhile, but last 2 release-weeks have really started up the hobby again!
Here's some of my progress:

Finished work on my very first Tetra!
Had some initial issues with a missing/wrong engine piece, but was eventually resolved by Forgeworld sending me a replacement part.
ImageImage

Next up, were the finishing touches to my Crisis suits.
Adding gras and white Squad Markings breaks up the single tone colours, and I now feel these guys are as ready as they can be!.
50mm bases were already part of their conversion. But that now means I'll be prepared for the new Crisis suits sitting on 50mm aswell!

Y'vahra's are heavy, and as it turns out, 2 Pins were not enough to keep him upright forever. (Initial wobbly-ness should have alerted me)
Gently removing him from his base went a little too easy for my liking aswell. So I've added extra pins in all of his feet/toes.
He's feeling quite sturdy now. No wobblyness or anything, so I'm confident he'll stay pinned for life! :smile:

Still have a few Forgeworld pieces I'd like to work on before comitting to a Ghostkeel/Breacher (or even XV8) purchase.... Perhaps Christmass will be kind this year!

Ofcourse, I did manage to acquire this one..... Muahaha

-Derp
WIP Tau

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Oct 28 2015 04:08

Started work on my Tidewall.

I've considered the advantages of magnetizing the wall sections for different ramp configurations, and the benefit just seemed worth to attempt!
I'm pretty sure the Tidewall Ramart rules cover it simply deploying whilst touching, instead of actually "interlocking". So mostly just for aesthetics (wich is a big thing for me).

Here's some WIP images:

Some basic math tells me it'll take me 78 magnets to fully magentize the whole Tidewall Rampart contents! (this number will probably drop later, due to excess wall/ramp sections).
Still have to decide wether or not I want to magnetize the GunTurret/DroneDocks aswell, since these would probably benefit from the added strenght glueing them brings.
That said, the magnetic bond is quite strong! Strong enough for me to lift the platform with just 1 of the shown ramps (2 magnets).

-Derp
WIP Tau

Rolepgeek
Kroot

Post#14 » Oct 31 2015 01:21

Those Crisis suits look absolutely amazing, I have to say. Your models truly look like they're from a serious sci-fi genre. The colors contrast beautifully, the details are striking, and the wear/highlights outline panels to create some very stunning models. I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Rampart, and the other new models coming out.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Nov 01 2015 12:39

Rolepgeek wrote:Those Crisis suits look absolutely amazing, I have to say. Your models truly look like they're from a serious sci-fi genre. The colors contrast beautifully, the details are striking, and the wear/highlights outline panels to create some very stunning models. I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Rampart, and the other new models coming out.

Thanks for the kind words!
Breachers, Crisis Suits, Ghostkeels and Coldstar models have really caught my eye, and looking forward to working on them whenever I might get my hands on some of their boxes!

Currently stalled myself a little on the Tidewall, unsure what painting scheme I'd like most.
Heavily considering the Vior'la colours (or based on), because I feel the Imperial White works great on Tau buildings. My hope is that it doesn't end up conflicting with the grey theme....

-Derp
WIP Tau

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Nov 01 2015 05:14

Perhaps you could try out the color scheme for the tidewall on a drone, just to see if it will work. If it does, then you can always use that drone on the drone port, if not then it isn't as difficult to strip the paint from.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Nov 01 2015 08:45

I've already got a few ShieldDrones from Shadowsun's kit painted in her classic Imperial White.
I think they really stand out as centrepieces, and don't weirdly contrast/conflict.

Good suggestion though, it's convined me to just take a "near-sighted" dive into the unknown, and paint 1 of the platforms in a slightly modified Vior'La theme. (If it works with Shadowsun, why not here?)

If it turns out a mistake the magnet-job means stripping the components in a Dettol bath is even easier, also no more hollow parts for the liquid to seep into. (Yay magnets! :smile: )

-Derp
WIP Tau

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Jan 14 2016 09:33

Finally some progress... The first ShieldLine!

I'm so terribly slow at finishing up projects.... at my rate I'll barely finish half the Tidewall before 2017... Time for me to step it up a notch :)

-Derp
WIP Tau

Return to “Project Logs”