Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post#55 » Dec 14 2017 02:06

This isn't an update but rather a group shot- here's forty-five finished models! Twenty-six Fire Warriors, twelve Gun Drones, four Shield Drones, and three Stealthsuits! More to come too!

(Heads aren't painted yet, but I'm starting those today.)

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#56 » Dec 14 2017 02:37

The original color palette compliments itself in such large infantry miniature numbers!
Great looking progress and kinda makes me wonder why the heck is it taking me so long to work on my miniatures.
I believe I need more determination into this hobby.

Quick question, are you going to field all 26 of your fire warriors in your bigger lists?

Keep up the great work Arka! :D
Cheers!
Nix

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#57 » Dec 14 2017 03:37

nix0n wrote:The original color palette compliments itself in such large infantry miniature numbers!
Great looking progress and kinda makes me wonder why the heck is it taking me so long to work on my miniatures.
I believe I need more determination into this hobby.

Thanks! Don't worry about speed, really. I was wondering the same thing a few months ago, and felt like I wasn't making progress, but really- if you put in a little work (60-90 minutes) per day the results really add up. Personally I think it's better to turn out models little-by-little, rather than in several-marathons a couple times per week.

nix0n wrote:Quick question, are you going to field all 26 of your fire warriors in your bigger lists?

I really can't say until the Codex comes out. At the moment I'm planning on running 15-18 Fire Warriors at 1500 points and 27-30 Fire Warriors at 2000 points. I know stratagems are going to be important when our Codex comes out, and Fire Warriors are they way to get access to stratagems!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#58 » Dec 14 2017 09:04

It felt wrong posting a group shot with unfinished models. Here's the army as it is currently- the bare heads have been finished, the third Shas'ui has been added, and in the back you can just see the Homing Beacon as well. All in all it's 46 models and totals 465 points so far.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#59 » Dec 14 2017 11:27

Smashed it! Nice one. What's next?
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#60 » Dec 14 2017 06:22

n1md4 wrote:Smashed it! Nice one. What's next?

Thanks! From here on out I need to finish the units I'll use in my 1500-point list. That's 3x Commanders, 2x Fireblades, 3x XV8s, 6x Gun Drones, 1x Devilfish, and 12x Pathfinders. Should take me through January to complete.

Then it's on to my 2000-point list: I need to paint additionally 3x XV8s, 6x Gun Drones, 6x Pathfinders, and of course, Aun'va! Hopefully those models will be finished by mid-February, hopefully.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#61 » Dec 18 2017 08:53

I'm proud to say that I've just completed the most efficient week of painting so far in my 40k career. Since last Monday I've finished 3 Stealthsuits, painted five Fire Warriors, painted a Homing Beacon, assembled and magnetized seven Gun Drones, and painted those seven Gun Drones. In addition I converted and primed my second Fireblade, magnetized three XV8s, and assembled a Devilfish! Here are some pictures:

The converted Fireblade is drying right now, but I'll post pictures soon. I was trying to avoid the appearance that they're identical (as they both use GW's monopose Fireblade body) so one has been converted with Breacher parts to represent a Fireblade who rose through the ranks as a Breacher, rather than a rank-and-file Fire Warrior.

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#62 » Dec 20 2017 04:16

Nice army there. Is there a way to download the pictures full resolution? I use the phone and can't see much of the details.

Arka0415 wrote:(...)assembled and magnetized seven Gun Drones, and painted those seven Gun Drones.(...)

How do you do that? Which parts do you magnetize?
I just receive my firsts models so I will starting the assembly, magnetization and painting.
(Super newbie in the painting work, so it will be a slow pace and I don't expect great results).

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#63 » Dec 20 2017 06:23

Kerrygan wrote:Nice army there. Is there a way to download the pictures full resolution? I use the phone and can't see much of the details.

Sorry about that- I think if you look on Imgur you can see them at a higher resolution... maybe?

https://imgur.com/a/8PZM1

Kerrygan wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:(...)assembled and magnetized seven Gun Drones, and painted those seven Gun Drones.(...)

How do you do that? Which parts do you magnetize?
I just receive my firsts models so I will starting the assembly, magnetization and painting.
(Super newbie in the painting work, so it will be a slow pace and I don't expect great results).

A little different from most people, I magnetize the stands. This makes it very easy to store the models: the stands are stored vertically in foam, while the drones are stored in infantry trays.
Last edited by Arka0415 on Dec 30 2017 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

greenman019
Shas

Post#64 » Dec 30 2017 03:14

How'd you get such a good definition on the lines of the drones?

Looks great. Nice to see the original colour scheme.
Last edited by greenman019 on Dec 30 2017 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#65 » Dec 30 2017 04:30

Really great group shots, really like seeing the classic scheme - you have a crisp finish to them :D

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#66 » Dec 30 2017 10:23

greenman019 wrote:How'd you get such a good definition on the lines of the drones?

I first paint the entire top chassis using XV88. Then I use Seraphim Sepia (the light brown wash) to wash the panel lines. Seraphim Sepia isn't the final color for the lines, but it does make them stand out against the basecoat, making it very clear where they are. Then the top chassis gets two coats of Tau Light Ochre, both of which are painted right up to the edge of the panel line, but not into it. Finally, the panel lines are redone using Agrax Earthshade (the dark brown wash) for their true color. If any Tau Light Ochre gets into the panel lines by accident, I touch up with a tiny brush and Dryad Bark.

Tael wrote:Really great group shots, really like seeing the classic scheme - you have a crisp finish to them :D

Thanks Tael! Right now I'm working on a team of XV8s inspired by your own XV8 paint scheme, with white heads and colored shoulders.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#67 » Dec 31 2017 10:24

Happy New Year to everyone in Asia right now, and the rest of you will be enjoying the new year soon enough I think! Anyway, to ring in the new year I've finished two Fireblades, three XV8s, and their accompanying drones.

For some reason, in that last picture, the camera doesn't seem to have picked up the third sensor eye in the XV8s' heads. It's there, don't worry.

Anyway, from here on out I'll be painting up six more XV8s! I'll leave with a final shot of the army so far:

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#68 » Dec 31 2017 11:36

great work and I admire the steady flow of models you turn out

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#69 » Jan 10 2018 10:04

Completed two more Battlesuits as my first models of 2018. Both are magnetized of course, but not all of the weapons are complete- the CIB XV8, for example, still needs its third CIB, but that'll be finished shortly.

One XV8 with Cyclic Ion Blasters, first of another squad of three.

My first Fusion Commander!

Before I move on to the next battlesuits, I'll be working on:

- 6x CIBs
- 2x Drone Controllers
- 4x Gun Drones
- 4x Shield Drones

TauGeorge
Shas

Post#70 » Jan 10 2018 10:31

Loving the look and progress on your army.

Makes me want to start a project log of my own. Think i'll be taking plenty of pictures this week of what ive got.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#71 » Jan 10 2018 07:38

TauGeorge wrote:Loving the look and progress on your army.

Makes me want to start a project log of my own. Think i'll be taking plenty of pictures this week of what ive got.

Thanks! And project logs are fun- they're great to keep you motivated to paint. When I feel like painting is getting boring or tiresome, I read my project log from start to finish- it's awesome to see the first model I started with, then the slow growth of the now 70+ models I have finished.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#72 » Jan 12 2018 06:09

Very jealous of your progress, I take it those are red dog minis CIBs?

Return to “Project Logs”