Page 1 of 5

Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Jul 13 2017 07:20
by Arka0415
Fifth Sphere Expansion - 8th Edition Project Log





Welcome to my 8th Edition project log! Before I begin, let me explain a little. About ten years ago, I painted a small Tau army in a terrible, lumpy red and white paint scheme... this was before that scheme became the "box art" for the Tau Empire, so I was surprised to see it years later. Anyway, I stripped the models out of sheer embarrassment, and endured the shame of playing with a base-coated army for almost two years. Following that I spent some time playing Age of Sigmar, before realizing that playing competitive Tau was my true calling. As such, I have resolved to repaint my old Tau army the way I've always known Tau to be- in the old, classic, ochre colors of the Tau Sept!

As a painter I have many years of experience, but my skills still aren't all that good. This project log won't really be a showcase, but rather models painted to a simple tabletop level. It'll also be a good way to keep me on task!

Note that this list isn't my whole army. I have dozens more infantry, drones, characters, and battlesuits! This list represents the list I'm painting just for the time being. Once the Codex comes out my paintng priorities might shift- who knows?




Current Painting Goal:

HQs and Characters:
Ethereal | Status: 1/1 Sub-Assembly
Cadre Fireblades | Status: 2/2 Painted
Commanders | Status: 1/3 Painted, 2/3 Painting

Infantry and Drones:
Fire Warriors | Status: 27/27 Painted
Pathfinders | Status: 18/18 Assembled
Gun Drones | Status: 19/24 Painted, 5/24 Painting
Shield Drones | Status: 4/8 Painted, 4/8 Painting

Battlesuits:
XV8 Battlesuits | Status: 5/6 Painted, 1/6 Painting
XV25 Stealthsuits | Status: 3/3 Painted
Homing Beacon | Status: 1/1 Painted

Total:
Progress | Status: 62/93 Painted, 12/93 Painting, 18/93 Assembled, 1/93 Sub-Assembly
Readiness | Status: 80/93 Playable





Full Collection:
Spoiler!
1x Aun'va
2x Ethereal Honour Guard
3x Ethereals
1x Shadowsun [1x Damaged]
3x Commanders
1x Darkstrider
2x Cadre Fireblades
1x Longstrike
36x Fire Warriors [6x Damaged]
3x Support Turrets
6x XV8s
9x Stealthsuits [6x Damaged]
21x Pathfinders
24x Gun Drones
12x Shield Drones [2x Damaged]
7x Marker Drones
8x Unbuilt Drones
1x Devilfish
3x Broadsides [3x Damaged]
2x Hammerhead Gunships [2x Damaged]






Thank you for checking out my collection, and I hope to finally have a Tau army I can be proud of!

Tau'va!

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Jul 13 2017 07:23
by Arka0415
[Placeholder]

Current Status:

-

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Aug 17 2017 08:37
by Tauguy29765
This army looks to be a strong one in the new edition. Will you be posting pictures of your models?

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Aug 17 2017 09:43
by khayman
I just felt accute pain when I saw the 74 fire warriors in your collection. Stay strong man and keep us posted.

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Aug 19 2017 09:48
by Arka0415
Tauguy29765 wrote:This army looks to be a strong one in the new edition. Will you be posting pictures of your models?

Thanks! I'll definitely be posting pictures. I'm currently out of the country though, so updating this thread is on hold until I get back in September.

khayman wrote:I just felt accute pain when I saw the 74 fire warriors in your collection. Stay strong man and keep us posted.

Yeah, I've thought of that too! I've painted a WHFB Empire army already though, and Fire Warriors are much easier to paint than State Troops. So, I'm looking forward to it!

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 16 2017 06:38
by Arka0415
Spent too long not starting this army due to work. Anyway, here's the first Fire Warrior squad base-coated, should have these finished within the next few days!

Image

Notice the Fire Warrior in the back with the off-color base coat- accidentally painted him with Skrag Brown instead of XV88... oops :neutral:

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 17 2017 12:29
by n1md4
Cool man! What colour scheme are you going with?

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 17 2017 01:45
by nix0n
I love where this is going! I am excited to see people following the original scheme of Tau with arid/deserty tones (since that's where it all began from and I am really not liking the new Vior'la colours of Tau on majority of our cover art).
Although I find it really strange how you managed to paint one miniature in wrong color :P

Your painting process looks intresting. It looks like you assemble the whole miniature but left out the rifle hand so that you can paint the whole torso. How do you start? Did you basecoated the whole miniature in darked brown first and then appled the xv-88 on the armor or vice versa? I'm just asking since I am curious what is the most typical way pf painting fire warriors because there will be a lot of them to paint for me and I want to start painting them "right" now than later donw the road.
I feel like I am starting to ramble...

Keep up the great work!
I would love to see more Fire Warriors soon!

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 18 2017 08:04
by Arka0415
n1md4 wrote:Cool man! What colour scheme are you going with?

Good old Tau Ochre. Think about the box art from 5th Edition- that scheme! I'll have pictures of finished models by the end of the week! :biggrin:

nix0n wrote:I love where this is going! I am excited to see people following the original scheme of Tau with arid/deserty tones (since that's where it all began from and I am really not liking the new Vior'la colours of Tau on majority of our cover art).
Although I find it really strange how you managed to paint one miniature in wrong color :P

Thanks! Yeah, I surprised myself too. I've been painting slowly because of work, I guess I wasn't paying attention. With two coats of Tau Light Ochre though, no one will notice!

nix0n wrote:Your painting process looks intresting. It looks like you assemble the whole miniature but left out the rifle hand so that you can paint the whole torso. How do you start? Did you basecoated the whole miniature in darked brown first and then appled the xv-88 on the armor or vice versa? I'm just asking since I am curious what is the most typical way pf painting fire warriors because there will be a lot of them to paint for me and I want to start painting them "right" now than later donw the road.


Here's my process:

1. (Whole Model) Flat Black spray
2. (Cloth) Rhinox Hide > Nuln Oil > Steel Legion Drab drybrush
3. (Armor) XV88 > Tau Light Ochre > Seraphim Sepia > Tau Light Ochre > Agrax Earthshade panel lines > Ushabti Bone highlight
4. (Lenses) Khorne Red > Wild Rider Red > Spirit Stone Red glaze
5. Glue gun to model

That's about it! There are other parts too like sept marks and gyros etc too but those are straightforward. Feel free to be very sloppy on step #2, since if you get Rhinox Hide on the armor, XV88 will cover it up. Just be sure not to get any paint on the Pulse Rifle stock or helmet faceplate- those parts will remain black.

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 23 2017 06:45
by Arka0415
Here's the first completed Fire Warrior:

Image

An 'evolution' shot, if you will:

Image

Took longer than expected but I'm excited to paint more!

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 23 2017 03:23
by nix0n
Ah. I don't know why but it sure is refreshing to see some classic Tau sept color on a Fire Warrior! :D
I really like the progress picture you took. Simple but effective!

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 23 2017 06:57
by Froglift
This makes me want to scrub all my dudes clean, but that's A LOT of scrubbing. This looks awesome!

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 23 2017 09:45
by Lostroninsoul
I see you are waiting for magnets for your XV8's. I got my first set of small craft magnets at hobby lobby for about $6 (24 pc ,3mm , 0.125 is the size on the package). They are basically the same size and shape of the a single infantry-railgun-powercell bit, (or is it a photon grenade? Generally a 2 pack bit). It is strong enough to hold fusion blasters firmly, even if the unit is moved around aggressively. I used a corded power drill to put them in lol. The magnets are still in place, but I have to pull them off carefully or it will rip out dried CA glue and all lol. I also bought even smaller neodymium magnets off ebay for $7 at size description1/32" by1/16". The smaller ebay ones are nice because I bought a precision hand drill thing that worked well at putting magnets in inconspicuously. The downside is I use typically 2-3 small magnets per hole to get a strength to keep the weapon in place. The hobby lobby magnets are way stronger but are bigger. I recommend them for weapons. They aren't good for things smaller than weapons for suits. Smallest thing I magnetized with the hobby lobby magnets is middle pods. I drilled through the flat side. On a few misslepods I did rupture the other side slightly with the powerdrill. it wasn't that big of a deal with a tiny pinch of green stuff. So don't use the hobby lobby magnets for anything thinner that that thin side of a new sculpt middle pod and you should be fine. The neodymium ones work on any but for a fusion blaster you probably need 6 and it may swivel off with enough movement. I recommend them more for support systems. I am currently attempting to magnetize a markerlighter for a firewalkers shasui with the ebay neodymium magnets. I successfully did the rifle half, working on the the markerlighter half. Hope this helps you get your suits magnetized sooner/cheaper.

As for the paint job. It looks really nice on the firewalkers. Keep up the good work

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 23 2017 10:19
by Froglift
Also on the magnets I really like K&J Magnetics 1/8" x 1/32", N52 strength. They are based in Pennsylvania, USA if that makes a difference. So far they work great. Picked up 80 for $8.80 without shipping (shipping was $7.00 for the fastest shipping). Great for Crisis / Commanders.

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 24 2017 08:44
by Arka0415
nix0n wrote:Ah. I don't know why but it sure is refreshing to see some classic Tau sept color on a Fire Warrior! :D
I really like the progress picture you took. Simple but effective!

Thanks! There's something great about the old classic colors.

Froglift wrote:This makes me want to scrub all my dudes clean, but that's A LOT of scrubbing. This looks awesome!

That's what I did some years ago! 100 models, a lot of simple green, maybe 85-90 made it out alive. Not bad. You come to love the smell of simple green after all that :D

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 24 2017 03:16
by Froglift
Arka0415 wrote:That's what I did some years ago! 100 models, a lot of simple green, maybe 85-90 made it out alive. Not bad. You come to love the smell of simple green after all that :D


Did it have any effect on repainting them? Did the models (that survived) look fuzzy at all? And what happened to the 10% that didn't make it?

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 24 2017 05:00
by Arka0415
Froglift wrote:Did it have any effect on repainting them? Did the models (that survived) look fuzzy at all? And what happened to the 10% that didn't make it?


Good question. Old paint can do weird things to a model, especially when it was applied badly/thickly- even lots of scrubbing with a toothbrush and Simple Green can't get congealed paint out of cracks and lines on the model sometimes. After a while, you look at a model and determine that it's just not worth stripping. Of course, on big/expensive models you do everything you can to get them clean, but for Fire Warriors and Drones, sometimes you just give up. :D

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Posted: Sep 24 2017 05:04
by Froglift
Arka0415 wrote:
Good question. Old paint can do weird things to a model, especially when it was applied badly/thickly- even lots of scrubbing with a toothbrush and Simple Green can't get congealed paint out of cracks and lines on the model sometimes. After a while, you look at a model and determine that it's just not worth stripping. Of course, on big/expensive models you do everything you can to get them clean, but for Fire Warriors and Drones, sometimes you just give up. :D


We're any of them based? I recently based and painted Two commanders and now I'm not too sure on the paint scheme but they have a bunch of rocks glued to the base. Would I have to scrape all that off to strip them?