[Review] Forgeworld kit - Knarloc Riders (incl. Youtube)

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

[Review] Forgeworld kit - Knarloc Riders (incl. Youtube)

Post#1 » Mar 03 2009 10:13

This is a quick review of the Knarloc Riders kit from Forgeworld

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/knarrider.htm

Video of kit contents - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caxWcJwiyRw

The kit arrived in the usual plastic bag, and a quick check of the components revealed one missing claw. A call to Forgeworld sorted that, and I received the missing claw a week later.

Each Knarloc Rider comes with one main part, comprising the whole Knarloc and the lower body and legs of the Kroot rider. The parts of the Knarloc you need to assemble are the lower legs and the front arms and claws - everything else is cast from a solid lump of resin.

The usual washing is recommended - see details on Forgeworld's site for how to do this. If you don't, your paint might not adhere properly.

The quality of the cast was excellent in most respects. There was very little flash to clean away; what there was was mostly between the toes of the Kroot rider. A mould line runs along the belly of the beast from nose to tail, requiring scraping or filing away. It is not very visible, but you are best to get rid of it. There is a large gate on the tail of the Knarloc that needs to be sawn or clipped off. This leaves an ugly mess that you need to sand down into something resembling the tip of a Knarloc's tail. Can any of you picture the appearance of the tip of a Knarloc's tail without looking it up? I can't, so it helps to have picture handy for reference. I encountered bubbles in the resin here in all three models, meaning I had to get out some greenstuff to plug the gap.

The lower legs and the front arms are easy to assemble, and are numbered on the mating surfaces so that you can easily match legs to torso. A fine idea and it works perfectly. The joins are almost invisible if placed correctly. I see no need to pin them for further strength given the amount of surface area available for gluing and the relatively light weight of the parts.

Which leaves us the claws. Frankly, Forgeworld should be embarrassed about these. Knarloc claws are not tiny, and should not present the issues these did. In all three sets of claws, the individual fingers were joined by a thick web of resin to one another and to the 'thumb'. I put quote marks around thumb, because on most of the models the web of resin and the 'thumb' were simply indistinguishable. It was a matter of judgement where one ended and the other began. I do not appreciate having to carve my best approximation of a Knarloc thumb from a solid mass of resin. Not when I paid Forgeworld to do the job for me. On one of the claws the thumb had vanished entirely - I sorted that with my earlier phone call to Forgeworld I mentioned above. I got two replacement claws in total, and both were in the same sorry state as most of the rest. Not impressed.

The upper body of the Kroot rider is made from the normal Kroot carnivore plastic sprue, which you get plenty of. In fact, you get enough to make four Kroot if you really wanted to leave your Knarloc with just a set of legs on top! The kit also includes a resin arm holding a Kroot rifle, a resin arm holding a long spear and a resin rifle on its own. No issues with these, other than flash on the rifles.

In summary, other than the claws I was suitably impressed with the standard of these models. They are very expensive for three cavalry figures whose rules leave a lot (a lot!*) to be desired, but they are great looking miniatures and full of Krooty flavour. Mmm, Krooty flavour...

Sholto

* No special cavalry weapons or I bonuses on the charge. No S bonuses, power weapons or rending attacks. They might well be the weakest cavalry unit in 40k, although there's not much competition (Rough Riders, Seekers?). Whoever they attack will usually hit them first or at the same time, and in the usual manner of Kroot without hounds and with abysmal armour saves, they will be lucky to be able to hit back at all. Not to mention wound allocation won't let you spread the wounds around the unit, since they are all identical. Then combat resolution and sweeping advance will usually see the end of them. Grrr.
Last edited by Sholto on Mar 04 2009 06:34, edited 1 time in total.

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Forgeworld kit review - Knarloc Riders (with added Youtube!)

Post#2 » Mar 04 2009 06:08

Just thought I would bump this to point out that I have added a video link showing the contents of the kit.

Sholto

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#3 » Mar 04 2009 06:19

This is great! I've been interested in Knarloc Riders for a long time (I LOVE Kroot). In my Cadre, I am planning on using some Kroot riding the plastic Cold Ones for count as crisis suits. I wanted to do something special for my Commander, so maybe a Knarloc Rider would work well... How much of a difference in size is there between the Knarloc Rider and a Crisis suit?

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 04 2009 06:32

Here you go:-

Sholto

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#5 » Mar 04 2009 06:35

Thanks! That is perfect. Now all I need is just one of those bad boys... but they only come in packs of 3, right?

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Mar 04 2009 06:36

Packs of three only. Go on, you know you want some :biggrin:

Sholto

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#7 » Mar 04 2009 06:46

Excellent review, Sholto! And an inspired idea, at that! I may just do the same thing with the Warmachine starter kit, hmmm.

I particularly applaud the inclusion of the "surprised Crisis Suit" beside the Great Knarloc. I appreciate that you included both the XV and the Great Knarloc for size comparison with the cavalry. A good show all around!

EDIT: I just watched the YouTube video - again, another great inclusion. Is the last shot of a Great Knarloc? Just wondering.

Gniknok
Shas

Post#8 » Mar 04 2009 07:06

Thanks for the review Sholto, I've ordered 6 Knarloc Riders and am waiting impatiently for them so this gives me an idea of what to expect.

* No special cavalry weapons or I bonuses on the charge. No S bonuses, power weapons or rending attacks. They might well be the weakest cavalry unit in 40k, although there's not much competition (Rough Riders, Seekers?). Whoever they attack will usually hit them first or at the same time, and in the usual manner of Kroot without hounds and with abysmal armour saves, they will be lucky to be able to hit back at all. Not to mention wound allocation won't let you spread the wounds around the unit, since they are all identical. Then combat resolution and sweeping advance will usually see the end of them. Grrr.

I fully agree that their rules in the Taros Campaign are really disappointing, a Krootox can even beat one in CC! Knarloc Riders should be among the best cavalry in the universe (not hard...) and only slightly below Slaaneshi Fiends and Raveners in terms of raw ferocity imo ... Not much can be done about this unfortunately when using them as Tau aux unless you can convince you opponent to let you use the older IA 2004 update rules which were substantially better than the Taros rules.

However, with all of those wonderful new Knarlocs and Great Knarlocs you should think about using them in a Kroot Mercs list! The folks at Kompletely Kroot have been working hard to put together an updated version of the existing Kroot rules, and while there have been a few departures from the existing rules I think that so far the fan-codex looks really interesting and quite fair.
Here is the link to the thread discussing the WIP Codex if you are interested:
http://z8.invisionfree.com/KompletelyKroot/index.php?showtopic=768&st=0

The most up to date version of the codex is found on pg 9, in Turbo_MMX's post about half way down there is a link to V5.7. There will be a newer version coming out shortly but this one is pretty close to what it will look like I think. If you do take a look at this let us know what you think!

Most notably the Knarloc Riders have received a substantial boost... I think you will approve... ;)

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Mar 05 2009 05:48

I saw the Kroot Kodex over at Warseer and gave Turbo_MMX quite a few comments on the various units. The Knarloc Riders certainly get some much needed buffs - power weapons, oh my! And it looks like the Greater Knarloc will get to count its attacks as MC attacks, which makes sense.

A Kroot Merc army might be worth trying - I could certainly field a small one at this point.

Sholto

Gniknok
Shas

Post#10 » Mar 16 2009 12:20

So I just received my order of FW Knarloc Riders and Sholto has it spot on. Really high quality detail on the body of the Knarloc but the flash on the claws is awful (and both packs of mine were missing one as well! must have been from the same packing run I guess...). The legs and arms all seem to match up really nicely and none of these main parts have too much flash except for between the toes of the riders. The gates on their tails are as bad as Sholto says and will be a pain to fix but I don't know where else they could put the gate on the model that wouldn't be worse so I won't complain too much. The The separate rifle in one of my packs was cracked from travel but they said they'd send another with the claws. One of the spears is also pretty bent but I think I'll be able to fix that with the hot water treatment that they recommend on their website. The moulding on the inside of the rifle arm is also kind of poor as well but since they were both that way and the photo's of Shoto's seems to be the same I didn't bother complaining about it - it will be hid by the pose of the model's arm as well. The only thing that seems different for my order is that mine came with a pile of little claws which I think are to fix up the admittedly poor thumbs on the hands.

I do have a question though, and hopefully, Sholto, you or someone else who has received this kit can help me out. There is a little sprue in each kit with two largish spikes on it, what are these for? I can take a picture of them if you don't know the piece I mean but I can see that it was included in your kit as well from your photo. Any help would be appreciated.

I also received some Tetra's along with the riders so maybe I'll put up a kit review of them soon. In brief though they look to be in really good shape.

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Mar 16 2009 03:23

Gniknok wrote:I do have a question though, and hopefully, Sholto, you or someone else who has received this kit can help me out. There is a little sprue in each kit with two largish spikes on it, what are these for? I can take a picture of them if you don't know the piece I mean but I can see that it was included in your kit as well from your photo. Any help would be appreciated.
I got those little sprues, but I got them with the Greater Knarloc kits (one in each). They are for the 'heel claws'. I did not get them in the Knarloc Riders kit. I did get a tiny little claw (just one - you can see it in the photo next to the arm holding the spear) and I added that to the bottom end of the spear.

Gniknok wrote:I also received some Tetra's along with the riders so maybe I'll put up a kit review of them soon. In brief though they look to be in really good shape.
I agree - the Tetra kit is excellent and I had no issues with it at all. Everything fits together neatly and just as it should. The only comment I would make is that it is best to assemble the lower half and the upper half separately and then prime and paint them that way, only completing the assembly at the very end. Painting the Fire Warriors will be much easier if you do it like that.

I also magnetised the markerlight assembly, but that is only so I can make custom units like Seeker-equipped or SMS-equipped Tetras!

Sholto

Gniknok
Shas

Post#12 » Mar 26 2009 06:05

Ok, I have an ethical dilemma that I'd like some advice on. I received my Knarloc riders as I mentioned and went over them pretty thoroughly (or so I thought) to make sure that I had all the bits and that things didn't have any problems. While there were of course flaws, such as the large gates on the tails and the excessive flash on the feet etc., these seemed to be anievitable part of the casting process and so I didn't think they were worth commenting upon to FW. When I realized that the claws were missing and the rifle was broken I called and they were very friendly and sent me new ones which arrived in a very timely fashion.

Since then I've had to just put them on a shelf until I have some time to work on them, hopefully in april, as I am really busy with work right now. This morning I longingly picked them up to look them over and plan my conversions, and to my surprise I noticed three not insignificant air bubbles on the gear hanging from one of the Knarloc bodies that had totally escaped my earlier inspection. Two of the bubbles are only about 1 mm in diameter, one a bag and the other on the top of a bone protruding from a hanging piece of meat. The third, however, is around 3mm and removes the bottom half of the meat chunk itself.

I can fix these with green stuff, but having paid so much for these I feel that I shouldn't have to. I can accept gates and flash, and even air bubbles that appear when gates are removed (as I expect to find under the tail gates thanks to Sholto's review) but this seems beyond normal imperfections and deserves to be brought to their attention. If I had noticed it earlier I definitely would have mentioned it to them. But since I already spoke with them and got them to send me extra parts, I feel like I might be exploiting FW if I call back and bring this up, since it basically amounts to asking for an extra Knarloc body which is the most significant part of the model.

What do you guys think I should do? Am I being too picky here? The way I see it, my options are thus: I could call and complain, and ask for a new one. Or, I could send them an email describing the problem, with pictures of the air bubbles, and either leave it in their hands or ask for a new one. Or, I could just suck it up, fix it myself, and make sure to inspect my models more carefully the first time around. I will take photos of the air bubbles and post them tomorrow so that you can see what I'm talking about, and help me decide if this is worth making a stink about.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Gniknok
Shas

Post#13 » Mar 27 2009 02:05

Here in an image of the casting flaws, and I've provided and image of a well cast Knarloc for comparison.

What do you all think? Is this worth mentioning or should I just leave it be...I just can't believe that this escaped me on my first round of inspections :?

Maijin
Shas

Post#14 » Mar 27 2009 03:00

I would have to say just leave it be. Ordering FW models means you are taking your models to the next level. Of the 15 or so FW models I have painted (I do commission painting for local armies) they have all had flaws. Some were small and more-or-less ignorable while others were huge gaping bubble holes that required green stuff sculpting to fix or pieces that literally didn't get cast at all that require conversions and bits to fix. FW isn't famed for making well cast models, and given how much better GWs plastic kits have become over the last couple years the only thing that keeps FW relevant is that they make models that GW does not. Best of luck fixing your models!

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Mar 28 2009 04:58

I see nothing to be lost in contacting FW, sending them pics of the flaws if required and asking for a replacement part. What's the worst that can happen? I would certainly make a complaint and see where it went.

Sholto

Return to “Reviews”