[Review] Iwata Maxx Compressor

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

[Review] Iwata Maxx Compressor

Post#1 » Jan 10 2013 10:22

Part 1: Un-boxing and first impressions.

So I got to race home yesterday as the sun was setting and greet a large box left on my doorstep. At least no kid decided to make off with my compressor.

Unboxing was fairly a non-issue, it's a box, wrapped in a box, in another box. Here it is, sitting on another box, with the top and all the included accessories resting as it comes. Neat thing about shipping a box within a box, within a box.

So I loaded what meager supplies I've acquired and ran the lines, one from the tank to the regulator, one to the Eclipse, and set the Eclipse in what I'm going to call the 'I've got paint in this cup!' style holster, which was one of two included. Straight out of the box, this can run two airbrushes. The regulator has a 'T' style adapter and plug. They just hang over the side of the tray as indicated, they grip fairly solid. Someone letting their kids run wild in a hobby shop isn't going to knock the box over and smash the regulator accidentally, they'll have to clobber the unit fairly solidly... And it fits under the edge of most gaming tables I've seen.

Silent? It's not, but loud? Not the most. Considering it's a dual-piston compressor in a luggage box. The compressor will run till the tank is around 65psi, then shut off; after that the cooling fan keeps running but is much quieter.

It will not however, stop people from having conversation in the same room, they just might have to speak up a little. Not as quiet as some I've used in the past, but those were about twice as expensive as this unit, and designed for dental offices.

In less than a minute it tears down and folds up. Like so.

SCV Good to go!

I'll do part 2 after I've gotten a drop cloth and 2nd work table (Probably Friday after work, or maybe on a long lunch break, as I work from my home office on Monday & Friday now.)
S7,AP3,10inBlast,IgnoresCover. Smells like...victory.

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Re: Iwata Maxx Compressor review

Post#2 » Jan 11 2013 02:45

So far so good. Gave it a good little run, pumping some Tamiya grey primer through. Not bad for an afternoon's spraying.

From empty tank to the first shut off, has got to be under 60 seconds. After spraying all the Dark Vengeance box set, not a drop of moisture coming out the drain plug when I emptied the tank. Probably due to the gas heated apartment and lack of Portland rain more than the compressor... But getting access to the plug was easy: just grab the handle and tilt the whole thing forward a little, slip your under, and twist. The plug only needs to go in finger-tight.

The blue drop cloth was an awesome find. It's almost as indestructible as Tyvek. Seriously they illustrate parking ladders on it with no problem. $9.95 for a 2m x 10m sheet. I'll probably cut it to fit my tables when I get the 2nd; and one piece to fold and take with me when I roll the compressor ... to the local game shop tomorrow for an afternoon of hobbying.

I look forward to not having to buy rattle cans of primer again. Btw; I recommend a respirator when doing this; and be kind; vacuum up the over-spray dust before it gets into things... if you don't do a dedicated paint booth.

I'm going to be doing the Dark Angels as my '2nd army' [Though I get the DA Codex first? Where's the justice! Ah well, they just need to put More Greater Good(tm) in when the Tau codex gets put out.]... And the Chaos boys will be painted to futz. with random new painting techniques.

Not bad for an evening relaxing after work.

But I'm sooooooo over the 'Buy Thursday, assemble Thursday night, paint Friday into Saturday morning, Apocalypse Saturday Afternoon' days. Fun as it would be; I'm taking my time with the Tau; waiting on things to arrive before I do much or commit any model to a permanent weapon mounting. Also... I don't have the energy these days :nice:

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » Jan 11 2013 11:57

Thanks for this review Jagdt, I've been sitting on the fence with regard a compressor for years.

Having recently developed a tinting technique I like, wherein a quality base spray is essential, I think this is the year I look into acquiring one of these. Be it the Iwata or another model? :)

- Tael.

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#4 » Jan 12 2013 04:26

Tael wrote:Thanks for this review Jagdt, I've been sitting on the fence with regard a compressor for years.

- Tael.

Iwata-Medea Studio Series Maxx Jet...

Pros:
Quiet enough to maintain sanity and not annoy downstairs neighbors after 10:00pm (I was spraying till midnight, it's 3 now.)
Easy to access all the functional parts. My old compressor, a 'silent' shop compressor, was louder.
How loud? Ambient is about 9db in my apartment with my main system running (It's a watercooled monstrocity) and it's fans have noticable hiss at the radiator. . . I need to do something about that with my tax break rebuild...
With the sound meter 2 feet from the compressor, an 'on cycle' is 40-42db with the meter on the desk 3 feet away from the compressor.
With it's cooling fan running it's 26db now.
Neat and tidy. Stowed it's a 2ft tall, 1ft square box. It's got storage space enough for quite a bit. Certainly a day's worth! And the handle is 40 inches long, so you can ... set an army transport or two on it and bungee cord it and pull it behind you on a taxi/sidewalk/train/bus/plane... Good for the community event where you'd want to do some painting and show off.

Cons:
The price I paid ($725 list) was less, because of the sale they were running at the time, after hunting around the internet Blick seems to have the best price, and they occasionally have sales.

Michaels does have one Badger tanked compressor on their inventory card system ... that would be what someone might take that 25%-50% off one item in-store for... But that compressor doesn't have wheels and a luggage box.

That compressor is nice, it's a compressor held to Badger's standards. It doesn't have two accessory trays (Almost a full cubic foot) of storage.

I like this one... because I may have to 'bug out' and one o the pain in the ass things about my old compressor is once i got it out of the freight crate, I'd have to rent a moving van to move it (the old one is a 2 person lift, and pray it fits in a car door) ... This, is light enough I can just roll it right down the stairs. (Okay, I tilt it back and slide it down, but it doesn't tax my arm pulling it up the stairs any more than a piece of carry-on luggage!)

I think I'm quite happy with it. I pre-shaded the chaos & dark angels from the Vengance set in under 2 hours, not counting a minor mishap when the Tamiya thinner ate through the el cheapo mixing pot I was using to thin Tamiya flat black. Or maybe it was just poorly cast ... but it didn't penetrate a single layer of the folded over dropcloth. :)

Time to practice zenith pre-highlighting (on the neutral gray, now pre-shaded primer) and then dive into the new candy colors.

... and find equivalent for the colors I was using. . . as there is no hobby shop within easy access ... that has near the selection I was used to.

Return to “Reviews”