[Kit review] Building the Riptide

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
hownowbrowntau
Shas

[Kit review] Building the Riptide

Post#1 » May 31 2013 04:07

This is a review of the new Riptide kit, how it went together, and any problems along the way.

1: Presentation: The kit comes on two large sprues, plus a transfer sheet, two flying bases for drones,an instruction sheet and a flying base pole similar to the one in the Dark Eldar vehicle kit. The sprues are numbered, and each piece has a number next to it.

2: Kit parts: Each part is well moulded, with no flash, and few visible mould lines. The kit has been thoughtfully set out, with most attachment points to the sprue in decent places, making clean up easier than other kits. One notable exception is the left leg guard (part 49), which has attachment points right on the exterior line of the part, requiring care when removing it from the sprue.

3: Instructions: The instructions have been well thought out, with GW finally using numbers on both the sprue, and the instructions to identify parts. The pictures are clear, and almost always show how a part should be fitted. A couple of parts however are not shown well (again, that left leg guard), but reading ahead will give you a picture from a different angle. The kit is set up with one pose in mind, but the instructions make it clear what modifications need to be done to make re-posing the legs easier.

4: Construction: The parts go together well, with many large parts having multiple pins to fit into matching holes in the joining part. If you've ever built a kit from more traditional model kit companies like Airfix, Tamiya etc, this will feel familiar. Most parts are set up so they only go together in one way, but I'd suggest dry fitting everything first before gluing. The torso, legs and jet pack can be assembled while still leaving access to each part of the model for painting, leaving just the arms for later attachment. I found the standard pose didn't quite sit straight on the base, but a small amount of greenstuff on the base provided a firm footing.

5: Pitfalls: There's not a lot that can go wrong on this kit, so long as you pay attention to the part numbers. The left leg guard requires delicate care and attention when removing it from the sprue, and the instructions are not clear about how far up the leg it needs to go. Check the next page for a clearer picture. The engine intakes are meant to be off-line to the rest of the engine. I looked at the box art for clarification. It just looks wrong when you're building it though! There's a bit of play in the "hips", so dry fit it before gluing it, and perhaps glue one leg in, then fit it onto the base, or just use some greenstuff to alter the base. The engine intake on the right hand side also restricts the right arm from reaching to the model's left, so dry fit the assembled arm before posing the model.

6: Other: The model is simple to set up for magnetizing, with clear and easily accessed points for alternative weapons. I'd suggest using two pairs of small magnets for the main armament, with one pair for each other option. Place some greenstuff inside the main armament where you plan to mount the magnet, so when you drill through you have something to hold the magnet.

7: Final thoughts: This is the best GW kit I've had the pleasure to build. The instructions are now clear, and have met the standard other companies have used for a long time. The components are first-rate, crisp and well thought out. All in all, an enjoyable build, and an impressive kit once finished.
Wait a sec...there are rules for Chaos?

Return to “Reviews”