[Review] Chapterhouse Studios - Railguns and Support Weapons

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

[Review] Chapterhouse Studios - Railguns and Support Weapons

Post#1 » Jul 16 2015 01:51

Chapterhouse Studios - Railguns and Support Weapons

Product Name: Railguns and Support Weapons

Item Number: N/A

Price: $14.50 (as listed on site at time of purchase and review.)

Scale: 28mm Heroic. These are accessories used to customize a standard game piece manufactured by Games Workshop.

Material: Resin

Where Available: Directly from Chapterhouse Studios - http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.ph ... y&path=132

Notes: Sharp casting, nice details, some poor mold design choices which lead to malformed parts and unfortunate mold lines.

Introduction: Chapterhouse Studios is a well known producer of aftermarket accessories used to customize existing Games Workshop (GW) products. The company is most well known for their legal battle with GW over their interpretation of and disregard of IP rights.

The Product: My example came in a bubble envelope containing another clear bubble envelope (which can be seen top image). Upon opening the package I noticed some of the parts were broken away from the mold frame, which acts as a sprue with most gravity or pressure cast resin products. Very few air bubbles were found on the parts, but some mold slip and crushing occurred which left a few parts deformed or with steps in surfaces. I believe this to be a result of pressure casting without properly supporting the interior of the mold with adequate wall thickness.

Overall the casting and details are incredibly sharp. My set had two missile launcher style parts which had major surface indentation and I found unusable. More on that issue later...

The photos that follow are of the worst face of each part, which will give you an idea of what you may receive from Chapterhouse Studios:

I emailed the owner of Chapterhouse to ask for replacements for the missile launchers and for what I presumed were missing antenna bits. The missile launchers that were sent were actually worse than the originals:

Usage: I haven't assembled or used the parts yet, and I doubt I will due to the tricky mold line clean up required on the body of the weapon. I will also note that the antennas are designed directionally, which means that they will only attach to the weapon body on the exact same side of each if you want them pointing the same direction. This design problem led me to believe that there were four (4) antennas and I was missing two. Mirroring the cad file would have eliminated this issue.

Options: The kit comes with the aforementioned missile launchers and what I guess to be representations of plasma rifles. Antennas are provided but I believe these are better left in the bits drawer.

Conclusion: Overall a very nicely detailed option for our Crisis and Broadside models, for those who want an exotic arm weapon and high tech details.

Return to “Reviews”