[Review] Kael'yn's KV Class Mecha Arms - Shapeways

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

[Review] Kael'yn's KV Class Mecha Arms - Shapeways

Post#1 » Mar 01 2016 08:05

KV Class Mecha Arms - Shapeways

Item Name: KV Class Mecha Arms - A Variant

Price: $55.66

Scale: 28mm Heroic

Introduction: Kael'yn, a frequent poster and well known member of ATT has digitally modelled and provided an "Arm" accessory set which was initially inspired by member LimpWeanie's traditional modelling efforts found in the project logs. Seeing the post where the link to Shapeways was originally offered, I jumped on the chance to own a set. This was my first experience with Shapeways and so I only had a handful of reviews to go off of. I took a leap of faith in Kael'yn's work, which was duly easy to do based on his rapport with many members on the site. I was not disappointed.

In the initial picture above, I have posed the semi-translucent pieces together as if they were assembled. The fit is so precise that I didn't need glue or tack to hold the pieces together. The tolerances to which Shapeways printed the material (Frosted Ultra Detail in this case) is incredible when one considers the raw material. I am left awestruck with not only the modelled detail, but also with the crispness and clarity the details present.

Here are some pictures with brief comments:

The exploded shoulder joints, detailing how they fit together.

An alternate view.

The hand portion, including the elbow pivot and track.

The opposite side.

The elbow detail.

Usage: These are primarily meant to be used with the Stormsurge model kit, but I suppose with ingenuity one could equip a Riptide or variant with these parts.

Notes: The FUD selection from Shapeways leaves the product with a slight grain which I would assume most modellers and hobbyists in general could either file, fill, or sand away easily. This could be off-putting for any customer which has little experience with advanced modelling techniques. I would only recommend this product to those who feel confident tackling a mixed media kit, and those with experience building Forgeworld's resin kits.

Conclusion: Without a doubt this model is one of the better options available to owners of the KV-128 kit who are not happy with the lack of arms. A big thank you goes out to all members who contributed to the realization of this product.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: [Review] Kael'yn's KV Class Mecha Arms - Shapeways

Post#2 » Mar 02 2016 07:03

Thanks for your review and your trust. I will link it in my thread.

If you sand and paint them, I think it will be interesting to see them.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Mar 21 2016 04:33

I get also a printed model, also in Frosted Ultra to add to the surface details roughness detail above:
(I used grazing light to emphasize the details)

As you see, flat faces have a "line" effect due to print layers. Without sanding, the paint need to be a little thick to smooth these surface.
Sanding is quite easy on most visible surfaces, but do not expect the same surface feel than resin or plastic.
But even without sanding, the painting will hide most of this surface problem.

Swithching to Frosted Extreme will reduce the "line" effect, but will not remove it completely.

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#4 » Jul 21 2016 02:16

Do either of you have picks on a Stormsurge for scale?
- Christian

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#5 » Jul 21 2016 02:22

Here a post showing my Stormsurge with the missile arms: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?p=312111#p312111
Limpweanie original thread could help you (my gauntlets share almost the same size factor) because I get inspired by his convernsion: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24201

Return to “Reviews”