Kit Review Site [Updated]

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
ALF
Shas

Kit Review Site [Updated]

Post#1 » Mar 11 2008 03:08

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. The site is now online and fully operational. Little by little I will be adding more content and articles. but for now enjoy the FW Tau, FW Kroot, & Quantum Gothic Reviews. To go to Kitsunboxed.com just click the Logo above and it will take you there.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
-ALF

[Original Post]
ALF wrote:Hi,

I'm working on a site dedicated to Kit Reviews, Hobby Products, and Modeling Articles.

The first set of articles will be all on Forgeworld Tau Kits! (but kits from other product lines and companies may follow)

I'd like to know what you'd like to know about the kits (in general.. please)
here are my thoughts:

I will have a rating system of 5 points (still thinking up catchy name)
and a skill level rating (Simple, Intermediate, Advanced, & Expert)

I will Describe the kit in detail and include lots of Photos.. including a Birds Eye view of all the parts (and any manuals that might be included)

I might also write a small 1-3 paragraph story that involves the kit being showcased.

Important things I will highlight are:
-Number of Parts
-Complexity
-Quality of parts
-Pointers on what to avoid/be careful of
-My Opinion
-Where to get said featured kit

Thats all I can divulge right now.. hope to get some meaty feedback to get this started...
Last edited by ALF on May 06 2009 04:01, edited 4 times in total.

Warhound
Shas

Post#2 » Mar 11 2008 03:36

This is a great idea for newbies and oldies alike!

As you have experiance of each of the kits, something that I have found that I am often asked about is 'how to get the best out of the kit ie: hints and tips with each to make life easy(er)'

Example: How to get rid of the big 1" square chunks of mould/ spare resin on bigger models.

Otherwise, I cant think of anything else- you have all bases covered :)

Be good to see

cheers

Wa'Rhound
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

ALF
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 11 2008 03:41

Thanks Warhound for the great comments..

I hope to get the site up in about a week and I'm just gathering the last bit of information.. everything helps!

GREY88
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 11 2008 04:05

I think you should break things down into dimensions as well. You know for us well skilled scratch builders. That way people won't pop in and ask hey how big is this or that, they can just look at the review. My 2 cents.

ALF
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 11 2008 05:13

There will be measurements (most pictures will be taken on my green cutting mat that has 1" squares on it).. and elevation images once the model is assembled. but my main focus will be showcasing the model.. not how people can reverse engineer it.. that would defeat the purpose of what I'd like to accomplish with the articles.

but don't take this as a bad thing... there will be enough Juicy images to make any scratch builder happy ;)

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#6 » Mar 11 2008 05:27

I think you should have a section on what is moveable and what can/should be magnetized in order to get the most from the FW kits. I had no clue that the Barracuda Seeker Rack could be configured to "drop down", and I got halfway through building it before I realized I could do a nifty number with a few magnets to make it adjustable.

Also, I'd like to see you include a tutorial and photos on magnetizing those fiddly antenna on the fliers. It's handy for when you bump them, they just come apart rather than snapping in half.

ALF
Shas

Post#7 » Mar 11 2008 05:34

Great Tips Tonka'!

Although I'm not the greatest magnetizer.. I'll hone my skills and add that to the Assembly Tutorials.

imran_tauyab
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Mar 11 2008 05:38

Hi ALF,

I've never bought anything from forgeworld before so personally I would think it would be great if you had some newbie step-by-step guide's.

Maybe a little on essential tools and common useful painting tips as well.

I look forward to seeing it :smile:

Imran
Hailing from Sept Elsy'eir

howtofoldsoup
Shas

Another Suggestion...

Post#9 » Mar 11 2008 05:45

I don't know how true it is for the other armies, but adding suggestions on how to create the different variations of weapon builds that aren't available with the forge world weaponry by default (like any twin linked weapon system, for instance).

Will your site have moderator controlled user-submitted articles?

Sounds like a good site concept, I'm looking forward to it.

'Soup
HowToFoldSoup!

ALF
Shas

Post#10 » Mar 11 2008 06:07

Thanks for the requests imran_tauyab.

I'll be doing tutorials of assembling the models as I assemble them.. it will be a detailed Guide of how I did it.. and any pitfalls to avoid as well as improvements on the process looking back.. as well as tipd to further the creativity of your kits.

I'll post a list of common tools and their uses (or at least how I use them) on the site as well don't worry..

hi howtofoldsoup.

I have planned in as a future enhancement to also showcase detailed conversion articles.. but this would be something after the established base articles are finished (kit reviews, assembly articles, painting articles, some product reviews like paints and glues.. etc.)

regarding user submitted articles.. eventually this is a possibility.. but I'm really striving for a certain professional format and consistent content style.. and I'm still unsure that user submitted articles would meet that criteria.. I had thought about possibly "recruiting" individuals who have the knowledge, skill, and time to do articles of the same level.. but only time will tell on this subject.

Kor Ksi'm'yen Bork'suam
Kor

Post#11 » Mar 11 2008 10:41

I think this is an amazing idea that would benefit newbies and/or players who want to buy forgeworld models but just don't know if it is worth it. I will surely be looking forward to your articles since I am a somewhat new player and really want to buy forgeworld kits but just don't know if it is worth it. :)

ALF
Shas

Post#12 » Mar 11 2008 11:01

Glad you like the idea Kor Ksi'm'yen Bork'suam.

although it wil not be entirely Forgeworld Model Kit Reviews (I hope to have plenty others too ;) ) I'd like to state this disclaimer:

Forgeworld Models are only worth purchasing if you REALLY REALLY want them... I mean c'mon.. why pay all that Bling on a model you're not sure you like?

I own many Forgeworld models and the only thing I can say is lacking is Quality control.. but with a little patience.. the Customer Service is always happy to rectify the issue.

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#13 » Mar 12 2008 03:55

good ideas ALF.

Kit review, in box.
Build Review, with walkthroughs and tips.
Painting Walkthrough

Showcase.

Would work out well, happy to pitch in for your site it if you need a guest modeller. ;)
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

Warhound
Shas

Post#14 » Mar 12 2008 04:15

Ditto!

:D

Wa'Rhound
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Isotope
Shas

Post#15 » Mar 12 2008 12:56

This is an excellent idea!

If your interested, I'd love to add your site to the link section on Path Of Tau.
Just make sure your band width can handle it!!

Very inspiring!

Isotope
Shas

Post#16 » Mar 12 2008 01:01

A REALLY BIG pain I have always ran in to with forge World models is: paint just flaking off, after you've finally detailed the model, and sealed it.

It's infuriating!

I wash all FW peaces with dish soup + Floor cleaner + toothpaste. I'm serious about getting that mold release off. You know what? the best stuff I've found... Or should I say "last resort" is that once I wash with the above ingredients (and give the parts a day to dry) I take "super glue" and wearing dish gloves, glaze the all the major surfaces with it. Use a spatula to ensure the surfaces are even and completely coated.

Then a light mist of purity seal (Extra adhesive quality) before priming with white or black.

ALF
Shas

Post#17 » Mar 12 2008 01:12

Thanks for the Encouraging Comments Kai' & Warhound..

That would be great Isotope!.. and yes my bandwidth can handle it.. I used to get 80 gigs of traffic before I had trouble with some of my forums.. had to change hosts.. but the bandwidth level is still set high...

Regarding Paint flaking.. I haven't had that much trouble.. but it sure is a pain... I found letting your models sit in semi warm water for about 8 hours (overnight) and then gently scrubbing the models with a Soft Toothbrush does the trick.. tis a pain.. but the release agent they use sticks to the model as if its glue and comes off in the most inopertune time (unless you have removed it properly)

technojunkie
Shas

Post#18 » Mar 12 2008 02:33

What areas to reinforce for gaming durability. I mean, Come on how many of us will buy FW without at least attempting to play with them :)

For example, I just bought some remora drones. (awesome models by the way, I highly recommend them) Where the wing joins the hinge the resin is very thin. My first model didn't last more than 5 minutes before the joint snapped and had to be pinned back together.
The difference between good & great Tau players is ATT

Return to “Reviews”