Kit Review Site [Updated]

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
ALF
Shas

Re: [EDIT] Finishing Kit Review Site - Which kit to review 1st?

Post#37 » Jul 25 2008 12:23

xGhostx wrote:I don't know if this has only happened too me but my XV8 suit, the jump jets on the back were, well bent. So when i tried too glue them they had a gap. Has this happened before? Other then green stuff i can't find another solution. The plastic is too thick to bend back into shape without damaging or for it too stay in place before unbending back...

I think you missed the point entirely of this thread xGhostx.

It seems that I didn't get the amount of feedback I was after.. thanks everyone who has commented.

Since there really isn't a definite winner.. I will do a group of Kit reviews.. and post them up on Monday (hopefully I might get a few more opinions by then) Today I will focus on finishing the Basic site info.. and possibly do a review on one of the items mentioned above.

technojunkie
Shas

Post#38 » Jul 25 2008 12:48

ALF,

If you haven't already decided on your first lineup, may I humbly ask that you consider the battlesuits first? I personally have 3 unassembled suits(R'myr and 2 XV88-2). They're the cheapest of FW's kits, and thus are probably going to be most folks' first FW purchases(for tau anyway). They would probably be the most beneficial to have reviews for first.

Either way I look forward to seeing the final product! Thanks and good luck.
The difference between good & great Tau players is ATT

Hereticus
Shas

Post#39 » Sep 17 2008 09:36

Is this site now up and running? I have not been able to find the URL anywhere in this thread, and I would really like to take a look if you have the Remora Kit up there.

ALF
Shas

Post#40 » Sep 22 2008 12:07

Just adding the finishing touches.. I have been working on websites for my clients and friends.. along with battling a cold.. but I'll post the URL sometime this week...

The first lineup will be alternate Forgeworld Hammerhead Tank Turrets (all of them) and then all Knarlocs and Great Knarlocs, Followed by the battle suits (individual article for each one), After that I will do articles starting from that smallest vehicles.. all the way up to the largest vehicles of Tau.. some other Surprises will be Death Korps articles and other Random models From other armies and manufacturers. I also have some scratch building articles I'm working on like a 40k Scale Chaos Harbinger, Lucius Warhound & Reaver Titans, and quite a bit sampling of Tanks!

-sorry for the long delay.. its just that this is a free site.. once its finished.. and I complete my Image templates.. posting a new article should take no longer than a few hours in the evening..

ALF
Shas

Re: [EDIT] Finishing Kit Review Site - wrapping up 4 release

Post#41 » Oct 08 2008 03:19

Sorry for the delay in an Update.. I'm finally over my cold.. and finished with my other work.. I have been hard at work on the Kit Review site.. Most everything is in place.. all I have left is to upload the Review Detail images and finish writing my reviews.. other than that.. I think its pretty much ready for critiquing.

So take a look around (and remember its not finished yet) let me know what you think.. and if you find anything out of place.. or have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Thanks,
-ALF

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#42 » Oct 08 2008 05:48

Class work ALF, just added to my bookmarks folder. QG pieces are very impressive.

Everything worked well for me, despite obvious lack of content. I run a MAC with Firefox(latest patch. Look forward to browsing the site when fully fleshed out :)

~ Tael.

ALF
Shas

Post#43 » Oct 08 2008 06:11

Shas'El Tael wrote:Class work ALF, just added to my bookmarks folder. QG pieces are very impressive.

Everything worked well for me, despite obvious lack of content. I run a MAC with Firefox(latest patch. Look forward to browsing the site when fully fleshed out :)

~ Tael.

Thanks for the reply.. its been a while since we last talked.. how have you been 'Tael?

I'm glad everything worked fine.. I have been testing the site in both IE and Firefox.. took a lot of tweaking to get things to look/behave properly.. I just have to wrap up the actual reviews.. and the sites ready to go live.

I'll be adding more reviews next week too.. basically I'll be writing an article or 2 a week.. and hopefully work out some sort of newsletter for those interested.

The Quantum Gothic pieces sure are nice (and more affordable compared to Forgeworld too).. they just opened up shop and have a ton of great things coming down the pipeline.. I'll be posting the next release up on my kit watch real soon.. Hopefully Forgeworld will let me post some news on what they have told me of their future releases too..

Joeker
Shas

Post#44 » Oct 10 2008 04:18

looking good, a few points:

1) RSS feed - I wanted to subscribe right away, but you don't seem to have one (yet?)!
2) Make the popular review bar more clickable - maybe the photos should link to the review as well? I took a moment to see the read more box.

ALF
Shas

Post#45 » Oct 10 2008 04:55

Joeker wrote:1) RSS feed - I wanted to subscribe right away, but you don't seem to have one (yet?)!

I have one.. I support many formats..

go here http://www.kitsunboxed.com and scroll down a bit.. its on the right side (column) title of the module is "Syndicate".. I changed the icon to make it more noticeable now. You can't miss it now ;)
Image<----- Its this BIG :biggrin:

Joeker wrote:2) Make the popular review bar more clickable - maybe the photos should link to the review as well? I took a moment to see the read more box.

I was planning on doing that.. but was leaving that to when I actually finish the reviews.. at the rate I'm going.. I'll be done by Monday or Tuesday most likely..

Thanks for the comments Joeker!

ALF
Shas

Post#46 » Oct 30 2008 07:56

Hello everyone,

I'm just checking all the code.. I have enabled the initial Articles.. I have a few more to edit (the Kroot articles) but some time tomorrow the site will be fully operational and new content will be added on a regular basis.

Check out the site and let me know what you think of the Kit Review format.. and let me know if there is anything left out... more updates will be posted soon.

ALF
Shas

Re: Kit Review Site Online!

Post#47 » Oct 31 2008 04:46

Just a quick update to let you all know the site is online.. check it out at:
http://www.kitsunboxed.com

Thanks for all the feedback.

Insectoid
Kroot

Post#48 » Oct 31 2008 06:28

On your Halloween page there is a typo, "Please not that some parts...", should be "Please note that some parts...". Say, If I learned PHP, would I be able to collaborate on this, not as a reviewer but as a coder?

EDIT: Here there is a blank text box ("Text here") that you may wish to remove, unless you are reserving it for later.

On your Armoured defense wall review the second paragraph is incoherent, "Upon receiving the Armoured Defense Wall set in the mail (in a well sealed cardboard box marked "Fragile" with plenty of foam peanuts inside for protection) the care taken in the packaging of Quantum Gothic's products is admirable.". Watch out for typos here...

In the reviews section, I suggest making the pictures and titles links to the review as well as the 'read more' button. The read more buttons are out of the way and are definitely not in the first place I'd look.
Last edited by Insectoid on Oct 31 2008 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly just lurk.

ALF
Shas

Post#49 » Oct 31 2008 06:35

Thanks for spotting that Typo.. I have it corrected now!

Insectoid
Kroot

Post#50 » Oct 31 2008 06:41

I've got some more (I can spot typos as well as I can create them...);

This paragraph,

"The [Item Title] set that I received cam intact and complete. There were no broken or warped parts and all parts appeared to be clean of any release agent. The resin detail was crisp and all parts dry fit together rather Perfectly. [descriptive sentence]"

I am going to assume that this paragraph is saved into a method with parameters for the item name and final sentence, which means this should be an easy fix.

Your watchtower review:

"My only concern being the width of the bottom portion of tha main..."
Last edited by Insectoid on Oct 31 2008 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly just lurk.

ALF
Shas

Post#51 » Oct 31 2008 06:48

Thanks for spotting those too.. Those are fixed.. You can see how bad I spell now :biggrin:

Actually each article was written by hand.. I tried to save time with copy & paste.. since I had a lot of similar items to review.. but I missed a few obvious typos :P Creating an article on My Kit Review site is similar to making a post here on this forum.. but with a lot more formatting possibilities and Parameters for the actual page, Section & categories.. etc.
Last edited by ALF on Oct 31 2008 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

P'Shar's Rifles
Kor'O
Kor'O

Post#52 » Oct 31 2008 06:49

The site shows a lot of promise, and I know your content will match. That's a nice polished looking template, and fun navigation gadget at the top, too.

How's Joomla working for you? I literally use it every day and find it very easy to work with.

--Drew

Insectoid
Kroot

Post#53 » Oct 31 2008 06:52

Here's another one on the packaging paragraph;

"Each part carfully wrapped in bubble wrap"

I suggest you run your paragraphs through a spell checker before publishing. Even copy&pasting into any text box in FireFox will work (as FF has it's own automatic spell checker).
Mostly just lurk.

ALF
Shas

Post#54 » Oct 31 2008 07:03

Thanks yet again for spotting another typo :::( lol
Greatly appreciate the help.. as I have stared at this stuff for ages.. working on the actual layout and formatting of the page.. I haven't really paid that much attention to the spelling (but I should have). All these articles were made in one Huge batch.. but the articles to come will be done one or 2 at a time. so more care will be taken into its creation.

P'Shar's Rifles wrote:How's Joomla working for you?

I started using it about 2-3 years ago.. and literally haven't looked back. Its a Great CMS and with Fireboard shaping up.. soon you won't need anything else to manage a website. Don't get me wrong.. there are a lot of other Great CMS scripts out there.. just none as user friendly as Joomla.

Thanks for the Compliments on the site!

Return to “Reviews”