2000 pt Vanguard/Outriders - Droney Tau - Tips please

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
CyclicIronicBlaster
Shas

2000 pt Vanguard/Outriders - Droney Tau - Tips please

Post#1 » Jun 18 2017 08:19

So I have looked at a load of the lists here and finally picked up the book so I can toy with some lists. I wanted to do unexpected things that still had some stopping power. I haven't played any 8th yet so I might be missing some key info so please be gentle. ;)

I am going to have to get rid of all my Broadsides / Tides GW really priced them out. Blergh. Anyway...

Here is a list that focuses on mobility and surprise.

The drones start on field and advance fast, the stealths are already upfield and drop a homer bringing the crisis suits in to surprise the enemy advance. The Piranhas drop their drones and zip about being annoying. Would love some thoughts if anyone has time.

Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire)
HQ

Cadre Fireblade
Pulse Rifle
Marker light
MV4 Shield Drone

Troops

12x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
2x MV7 Marker Drone

12x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
2x MV7 Marker Drone

Elites

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits x6
Homing beacon
2x MV7 Marker Drone [20pts]
4x Stealth Burst Cannon
2x Stealth Fusion Blaster

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits x6
Homing beacon
2x MV7 Marker Drone [20pts]
4x Stealth Burst Cannon
2x Stealth Fusion Blaster

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit
Cyclic ion raker
Early warning override
Multi-tracker
2x MV5 Stealth Drone
2 burst cannons

4x TX4 Piranhas
One with Fusion Blaster

10x Vespid Stingwings

Outrider Detachment +1CP

HQ
Darkstrider

Elites
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits X 4
Crisis Shas'ui 2x Plasma rifle, Shield generator
Crisis Shas'ui 2x Fusion blaster, Shield generator
Crisis Shas'ui [2x Fusion blaster, Shield generator
Crisis Shas'ui Drone controller, 2x Flamer

Fast Attack
8x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

10x MV1 Gun Drone

10x MV1 Gun Drone

Butch
Shas

Re: 2000 pt Vanguard/Outriders - Droney Tau - Tips please

Post#2 » Jun 19 2017 01:06

You list is made by units that i personaly like a lot too. I think particularly the Piranhas are geting forgotten often and could be fun. I am not an experianced player so i prefere to simply follow the future posts here.

Just a few points that i recognised from the last battle:
- FLAMERS! They are awsome. Maybe give the crisis some more... or for the stealthsuits 1-2 per group
- I really don't know about marker drones... but i get the feeling, that you have to eather take a big load of them, or none
- For the HQ choice i would take shadowsun paired with all the stealthsuits...

Where and how would you place Fireblade and Darksteider?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jun 19 2017 02:50

Butch wrote:- FLAMERS! They are awsome. Maybe give the crisis some more... or for the stealthsuits 1-2 per group

Are you meaning to say to give Stealth Suits flamer? I mean that would be really awesome but is unfortunately not possible. :D

Butch
Shas

Post#4 » Jun 19 2017 03:02

Panzer wrote:
Butch wrote:- FLAMERS! They are awsome. Maybe give the crisis some more... or for the stealthsuits 1-2 per group

Are you meaning to say to give Stealth Suits flamer? I mean that would be really awesome but is unfortunately not possible. :D

Nooooo... :::(
Ok then... flamer-overwatch is really nice!

What do you think of the list in general Panzer?

Maybe i would consider using pathfinders with markerlights instead of all the gundrones... i really have to try those new markerlights out...

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jun 19 2017 03:48

Butch wrote:
Panzer wrote:

Nooooo... :::(
Ok then... flamer-overwatch is really nice!

What do you think of the list in general Panzer?

Maybe i would consider using pathfinders with markerlights instead of all the gundrones... i really have to try those new markerlights out...

I think it's a decent list, although I'd suggest adding 8 of your Drones to your Crisis Suits so they join them on the drop.

And imo Target Lock and ATS are must have for the Ghostkeel. Played him like that yesterday and even with those two his damage output was okay-ish...without those you will either heavily depend on getting 5+ Markerlights or your damage ouput will hit rock bottom.
Hitting on 5+ with weapons that barely dent the targets armor is no fun, trust me.

The Markerdrones on the Firewarrior Squad will barely matter since your Drone Controller will be somewhere else with your Crisis. For those 4 Drones you could already get 5 Pathfinder which would serve you better as Markerlight source. However one unit of 5 is very fraguile. You could take the Marker Drones from the Stealth Suits as well to get another unit of 5 Pathfinder, or try to find the points for a Drone Controller on one of the Stealth Suits.
That has it's own downside though since Stealth Suits with Homing Beacon want to be close enough to the enemy that he could reach their Drones with all his basic weapons as well.

CyclicIronicBlaster
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 19 2017 04:55

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I'm going to take a quick look at rejigging based on those thoughts.

Would you guys say the ghostkeel isn't worth the points then?

I'm going to put some drones with the Suits for dropping in. Which might change the detachments a bit.

I will look at pulling some points somewhere to add some pathfinders as well. :)

Will post the revised.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 19 2017 05:09

Right now....yes I sadly would say it isn't worth the points.
However I've only tried it once so far and only as Dakkakeel with ATS+Target Lock.

He might be decent as Fusionkeel with Shield Gen+Target Lock (since you don't need more AP on Fusion Blaster). That way he would kinda act like a Quad Fusion Commander just hitting worse but with additional protection against mid/long range shooting. Aka less offensive but more defensive.
He'd cost 28p more but 20 of those are the two Stealth Drones so to compare it properly a Commander would have 2 Shield Drones. Still 12p difference.
It's a decent alternative for a different playstyle but overall I think the Commander does the job better....as usual.

CyclicIronicBlaster
Shas

Post#8 » Jun 19 2017 05:37

Okay. Managed to squeeze in a quad fusion Commander and dropped the keel. Got a good unit of Pathfinders and droned up suits.

The pulse acc drone will jump where needed either to give the Strike teams a boost in range or with the drone squads to give their carbines more inches.

I nearly dropped the Vespids to take another unit of Piranhas but I think the Vespids output will be good.

Thanks again for the feedback feeling pretty good about this now.

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight, MV4 Shield Drone

Commander: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 11x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 11x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits : Homing beacon
. 3x Stealth Shas'ui (no upgrade): 3x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Fusion blaster: Fusion blaster
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Velocity tracker

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits : Homing beacon
. 3x Stealth Shas'ui (no upgrade): 3x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Velocity tracker

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits : 8x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Plasma rifle, Shield generator
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Fusion blaster, Shield generator
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Fusion blaster, Shield generator
. Crisis Shas'ui: Drone controller, 2x Flamer

+ Fast Attack +

TX4 Piranhas
. TX4 Piranha: Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone
. TX4 Piranha: Burst cannon, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Vespid Stingwings : 9x Vespid Stingwing, Vespid Strain Leader

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Darkstrider: MV4 Shield Drone

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone
. 9x Pathfinder: 9x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

Tactical Drones: 10x MV1 Gun Drone

Tactical Drones: 10x MV1 Gun Drone

Butch
Shas

Post#9 » Jun 19 2017 06:26

Oh nooo what happend to the ghostkeel... :::( . I love this unit!

... And i hate the look of the vespid. It can't buy them... just for theyr looks... ugly.... brrrrrr

But this list looks exactly (apart from a few changes) like a list i would like. I like the pathfinder changes.

Cadre Fireblade and Darkstrider: I would let go one of these and try to play with points a bit for a shadowsun (since you have a lot of stealthsuits).
What do you guys think?

I am really interested in this list and i will build it... let us know how it worked ;)

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jun 19 2017 06:31

I still don't get why you take your Drones in seperate units instead of taking them with your Crisis Suits. This way they won't be near your Drone Controller if you decide to place your Crisis in reserves and they want to be within 18" of the enemy anyway.

Return to “Cadre Building”