2000p Semi-Competitive list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
User avatar
T.Wiseau
Shas
Posts: 6

2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#1 » Oct 11 2017 10:31

Battalion Detachment:
HQ: Coldstar, H-Burstcannon, Missile Pod, Target lock, Advanced targeting (148p)
HQ: Longstrike, Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles(225p)
Elite: 3x Crisis Battlesuits, 6x Burst Cannon, 3xAT, 6 Gun Drones, 12 Pulse Carbines (258p)
Dedicated Transport: Devilfish, 2x Gun Drone, 1x Burst Cannon (127p)
Dedicated Transport: Devilfish, 2x Gun Drone, 1x Burst Cannon (127p)
Troops: 10x Fire Warriors, 10x Pulse Blasters (80p)
Troops: 10x Fire Warriots, 10x Pulse Blasters (80p)
Troops: 10x Fire Warriors, 10x Pulse Rifle, 1x Markerlight, 1x Tactical Support Turret, 1x Missile Pod (103p)
Fast Attack: 5x Pathfinders, 2x Rail Rifle (84p)
Fast Attack: 5x Pathfinders (40p)
Fast Attack: Tactical Drones, 8x Gun Drone, 16x Pulse Carbine (64p)
Heavy Support: 1x Broadside Battlesuit, 1x Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x Plasma Gun (165p)
Supreme Command Detachment:
HQ: Commander, 4x Cyclic Ion Blaster (148p)
HQ: Commander, 4x Fusion Blasters, 2 Gun Drones, 4x pulse Carbine (176p)
HQ: Commander, 4x Missile Pod (172p)

1997p

Oh hi fellow T'au players. I recently got back into the hobby after a a few years with the minis on the shelf .Im looking to build myself a decent T'tau army. The meta in my town is pretty competitive so any tips on how to make the list stronger or more efficient will be deeply apreciated.
It's not true, it's bullsh*t I did not overheat, I did not! Oh Hi MARKerlight!

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3134

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#2 » Oct 11 2017 11:32

Well if you play competetively then dropping the Broadside and the Burst Cannons on the Crisis would be the first things I'd do.

User avatar
Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal
Posts: 104

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#3 » Oct 11 2017 11:39

Coldstar: I like my coldstar to have ats . I previously liked the idea of a shield generator but it maybe unnecessary. The target lock suggests he will be super mobile all the time. My current preference atm I want to try out in my next game is ats + multitracker. I figure it will have a nearly as high hit ratio if I go super mobile too, but if I don't advance nearly all shots should hit.

Crisis suits: burst cannon isn't that great of effect to have on suits. It basically have the same fire power as 2 pulse carbines, an effect you have access to with pathfinders and drones. I recommend replacing burst cannons with CIB's. Missile pod and fusion blasters are the next best weapons for the price. I also recommend a drone controller to buff your drones (an extra ~4 hits from the 6 gun drones)

Devilfish: With pulse blaster firewalkers it can maximize damage output by throwing 2 groups of 6 breachers per fish. A darkstrider is a strong buff option for a fish with a 10 man breacher team inside it.

User avatar
Yojimbob
Shas'Saal
Posts: 323

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#4 » Oct 11 2017 12:07

Lostroninsoul wrote:Coldstar: I like my coldstar to have ats . I previously liked the idea of a shield generator but it maybe unnecessary. The target lock suggests he will be super mobile all the time. My current preference atm I want to try out in my next game is ats + multitracker. I figure it will have a nearly as high hit ratio if I go super mobile too, but if I don't advance nearly all shots should hit.

Crisis suits: burst cannon isn't that great of effect to have on suits. It basically have the same fire power as 2 pulse carbines, an effect you have access to with pathfinders and drones. I recommend replacing burst cannons with CIB's. Missile pod and fusion blasters are the next best weapons for the price. I also recommend a drone controller to buff your drones (an extra ~4 hits from the 6 gun drones)

Devilfish: With pulse blaster firewalkers it can maximize damage output by throwing 2 groups of 6 breachers per fish. A darkstrider is a strong buff option for a fish with a 10 man breacher team inside it.


Multitrackers are pretty much useless so I would avoid that since you need to put your short range str5 shots into the same target as your str7 long range shots to gain the bonus. Extremely weak since you get the same buff from a single markerlight without the drawback of firing at the same target. ATS/SG is pretty much THE way to go for these guys.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3134

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#5 » Oct 11 2017 12:47

Yojimbob wrote:
Lostroninsoul wrote:Coldstar: I like my coldstar to have ats . I previously liked the idea of a shield generator but it maybe unnecessary. The target lock suggests he will be super mobile all the time. My current preference atm I want to try out in my next game is ats + multitracker. I figure it will have a nearly as high hit ratio if I go super mobile too, but if I don't advance nearly all shots should hit.

Crisis suits: burst cannon isn't that great of effect to have on suits. It basically have the same fire power as 2 pulse carbines, an effect you have access to with pathfinders and drones. I recommend replacing burst cannons with CIB's. Missile pod and fusion blasters are the next best weapons for the price. I also recommend a drone controller to buff your drones (an extra ~4 hits from the 6 gun drones)

Devilfish: With pulse blaster firewalkers it can maximize damage output by throwing 2 groups of 6 breachers per fish. A darkstrider is a strong buff option for a fish with a 10 man breacher team inside it.


Multitrackers are pretty much useless so I would avoid that since you need to put your short range str5 shots into the same target as your str7 long range shots to gain the bonus. Extremely weak since you get the same buff from a single markerlight without the drawback of firing at the same target. ATS/SG is pretty much THE way to go for these guys.

I agree on that. Multi-tracker is really not worth it compared to the other options. Heck I don't think even Target Lock is worth it on Coldstar. Hitting on 3+ with mass dakka weapons after advancing is good enough, better increase your survival chances with a Shield Gen in case the enemy drops reserves nearby or you rolled bad and he removed all the screening units.
ATS is pretty much mandatory. Without it the Burst Cannons damage is laughable on the Coldstar.

User avatar
Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal
Posts: 104

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#6 » Oct 11 2017 02:47

I want to try multitracker only on the coldstar model. I want to keep him available as a character sniper/anti-infantry. The idea is I don't have to use a markerlight on its target (infantry) saving ML support for higher value targets. Characters are hard to target with ML so if coldstar maneuvers into a position to shoot one, he would probably be without ML support, so this gives him rerolls for his assaination attempt. The shield generator is good but an character assassination would probably put him in harm's way regardless (ie behind enemy lines). Being a character ,he can hide behind other units and then the shield is useless at this point. Just sharing some of my thoughts. This is my theory and I have to still test it

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3134

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#7 » Oct 11 2017 02:50

Yeah I understood that already. Still not worth it imo.

User avatar
Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal
Posts: 104

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#8 » Oct 11 2017 04:46

To be honest most people don't think cold star isn't that competive based on reviews I read on here. Most common layout is shield and ats. People seem most happy with that. I mentioned what I'm doing so OP has maximum options for formating OP's army. Outside that only other feedback I can offer is to consider shield drones for the fusion blaster commander. The idea is that two inaccurate shooting gun drones won't do much damage. The shield drones have a decent invulnerable save and a FNP effect (from FAQ if you are unaware ,because your getting back in) . The shield drones would help increase the survivability of the Fb commander by being something to hide behind with OK durability. Switching to shield drones is putting greater emphasise on the damage a FB commander can do in 2 turns versus one turn of shooting and dieing. Best of luck

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1554

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#9 » Oct 11 2017 06:56

Welcome back to Tau! :D

T.Wiseau wrote:Oh hi

Your username is T.Wiseau, is this what I think it is? Anyway, let's look at your list!

T.Wiseau wrote:I recently got back into the hobby after a a few years with the minis on the shelf .Im looking to build myself a decent T'tau army. The meta in my town is pretty competitive so any tips on how to make the list stronger or more efficient will be deeply apreciated.

Your list already looks very strong. You have Fusion Commanders, Devilfish, Breachers, etc. These are all good choices for a Tau army in 8th Edition! However, there are a couple of places where we can tune it up. First, we can change the squad size for some units- give the Pathfinders another Rail Rifle and more models to protect the valuable special weapons. We can also add more Breachers by splitting the squads into 2x6 (not 1x10) and free up some points by removing the extra wargear on the Strike Team. If we split the Strike Team down too, we'll have room for two Battalions too. Second, we can change some unit loadouts- we can upgrade the XV8s to use Cyclic Ion Blasters, as they're the best pick for an XV8 squad these days. Second, We can also give the Coldstar a Shield Generator, Shield Drones to your various Commanders (the short-ranged ones at least), and save points by giving the Missile Pod Commander and CIB Commander ATS. With all of these changes, the points cost of the army is going to go up- let's set aside the Broadside, at least for now. We'll use the last remaining 42 points to add a few more Fire Warriors, and a couple of Seeker Missiles for the Devilfish. Here's how things would look:

-

HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Yield Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, ATS, Shield Generator (150)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Troops - 8x Fire Warriors (64)
Troops - 8x Fire Warriors (64)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (132)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (132)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (121)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 8x Markerlights (64)
Fast Attack - 8x Gun Drones (64)

Total: 2000 - Command Points: 10 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

It looks big, but it's actually the same number of drops. You lose the Broadside, but you get a lot more firepower in the Breacher units, the XV8s, and the Pathfinders, in addition to a lot more bodies on the field. What do you think?

User avatar
T.Wiseau
Shas
Posts: 6

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#10 » Oct 12 2017 08:53

Arka0415 wrote:
T.Wiseau wrote:Oh hi

Your username is T.Wiseau, is this what I think it is? Anyway, let's look at your list!


Well check out my signature bro :D


Seems to me you are the experts guys!

Anyway thanks for the awesome ideas. Splitting the troops into smaller squads to fill another detachment for basically free command points seems like an exellent plan. I can't belive I never thought of that :eek: Extra railrifle on pathfinders also sounds legit.


Ill have to rethink the Crisis loadout too. Perhaps flamers are the way to go?
It's not true, it's bullsh*t I did not overheat, I did not! Oh Hi MARKerlight!

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1554

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#11 » Oct 12 2017 06:56

T.Wiseau wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
T.Wiseau wrote:Oh hi

Your username is T.Wiseau, is this what I think it is? Anyway, let's look at your list!

Well check out my signature bro :D

Ha, I didn't notice that! Very nice!

T.Wiseau wrote:Ill have to rethink the Crisis loadout too. Perhaps flamers are the way to go?

Think about the role in the list the XV8s are trying to fill. If you use a list like the one I wrote, you have plenty of Commanders and Breachers to give you anti-tank and anti-elite firepower respectively. If you use them very aggressively, Flamers could be useful in your army. They'd fill the anti-infantry role in the army and let the Pulse Rifle Fire Warriors hang back and hold objectives. If we did that, we'd be saving points too- probably enough to fit in some Stealthsuits too! Let's look at a list that includes Flamers.

-

HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Yield Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, ATS, Shield Generator (150)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (132)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (132)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (121)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 8x Markerlights (64)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)

Total: 2001 - Command Points: 10 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

We need to remove a few Fire Warriors and Gun Drones to fit in the Stealthsuits, but they'd be very valuable in this list. You can use them to EITHER drop in the Fusion Commander within that tasty 9" range, or use them to drop in the XV8 Flamer team so they can use their Flamers on the turn they arrive. Of course, you'd need to choose during deployment, since Flamers should otherwise be deployed normally (unless you can assist them with a Homing Beacon). Consider the two options:

1. If the enemy has a tank that looks vulnerable, put your Fusion Commander in Manta Strike and infiltrate your Stealthsuits close to the target tank. The Commander will drop in via the Homing Beacon. The XV8 Flamer team will deploy normally, as close as they can to the enemy army, and use their 8" move and D6" advance to extend their threat range to 16+D6", hopefully getting you a Flamer strike on turn 1.

2. If the enemy has an infantry block that looks vulnerable, put your XV8 Flamer team in Manta Strike and infiltrate your Stealthsuits close to the target infantry. The XV8s will drop in via the Homing Beacon and use their Flamers when they arrive. The Fusion Commander will still deploy via Manta Strike, but he won't be able to use the <9" ability of Fusion Blasters, so drop him in just within 18" of an enemy tank.

Flamers are tricky to use, but they can have amazing hitting power if you use them right!

User avatar
T.Wiseau
Shas
Posts: 6

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#12 » Oct 12 2017 11:34

2x Battalion Detachment:
HQ: Coldstar, H-Burstcannon, Missile Pod, Target lock, ATS, 2x Gun Drone (164p)
HQ: Commander, 4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Gun Drone, 4x pulse Carbine (176p)
HQ: Commander, 4x Missile Pod, 2x Gun Drone, 4x Pulse Carbine (188p)
HQ Commander, 4x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 2x Gun Drone, 4x Pulse Carbine (164p)
Elite: 6x Stealth Suits, 4x Burst Cannon, 2x Fusion Blaster, 1x Homing Beacon (222p)
Elite: 3x Crisis Suits, 8x Flamers, 1x Drone Controller, 5 Gun Drones, 10 Pulse Carbines (243p)
Dedicated Transport: Devilfish, 2x Gun Drone, 1x Burst Cannon (127p)
Dedicated Transport: Devilfish, 2x Gun Drone, 1x Burst Cannon (127p)
Troops: 5x Breachers, 5x Pulse Blasters (40p)
Troops: 5x Breachers, 5x Pulse Blasters (40p)
Troops: 5x Breachers, 5x Pulse Blasters (40p)
Troops: 5x Breachers, 5x Pulse Blasters (40p)
Troops: 5x Fire Warriors, 10x Pulse Rifle,1x Tactical Support Turret, 1x Missile Pod, 1x Markerlight (63p)
Troops: 5x Fire Warriors, 5x Pulse Rifle (40p)
Fast Attack: 8x Pathfinders, 3x Rail Rifle(121p)
Fast Attack: 5x Pathfinders (40p)
Heavy Support: 1x Broadside Battlesuit, 1x Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x Plasma Gun (165)p
2000p

Ok I made a couple of changes. Some flamers on the Crisis team, backed up by Stealthsuits with Homing Beacon. The Broadside stays for now, but I may end up replacing him with a Ghostkeel once I have one painted in the future.

Thanks for the input guys, I feel like this list will be both better and more fun to play than my original list.
It's not true, it's bullsh*t I did not overheat, I did not! Oh Hi MARKerlight!

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1554

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#13 » Oct 13 2017 11:21

T.Wiseau wrote:The Broadside stays for now, but I may end up replacing him with a Ghostkeel once I have one painted in the future.

Thanks for the input guys, I feel like this list will be both better and more fun to play than my original list.

Suddenly a Broadside and a Support Turret? Why the change? At least you can swap the Plasma Rifles for SMS on the Broadside (if you get rid of the Support Turret) as it'll be better at range. These days though neither the Broadside nor Support Turret are considered too viable though, sadly.

User avatar
T.Wiseau
Shas
Posts: 6

Re: 2000p Semi-Competitive list

Post#14 » Oct 14 2017 01:40

Arka0415 wrote:
T.Wiseau wrote:The Broadside stays for now, but I may end up replacing him with a Ghostkeel once I have one painted in the future.

Thanks for the input guys, I feel like this list will be both better and more fun to play than my original list.

Suddenly a Broadside and a Support Turret? Why the change? At least you can swap the Plasma Rifles for SMS on the Broadside (if you get rid of the Support Turret) as it'll be better at range. These days though neither the Broadside nor Support Turret are considered too viable though, sadly.


Yeah, I suppose I could just get another Fusion Commander to replace the Broadside. Support Turret is mainly because I have one painted up and It looks kinda cool. Perhaps 2 more drones are more usefull.
It's not true, it's bullsh*t I did not overheat, I did not! Oh Hi MARKerlight!

Return to “Cadre Building”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests