2000pts Mechanised - Much to Improve!

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

2000pts Mechanised - Much to Improve!

Post#1 » Oct 13 2017 01:58

Hi everyone,
As opposed to the list last week which was a style I'm fairly confident with, this one (more mechanised and agressive) is a bit more of a stab in the dark.
The overall strategy is that the list will move up towards the enemy (preferably one of his flanks), and the battlesuits will drop down as the devilfishes disgorge their contents.
Here we go:

Battalion Detachment:

Commander, 4 Fusion Blasters, 2 Marker Drones - 180pts
Cadre Fireblade - 42pts

6 Breachers - 48pts
6 Breachers - 48pts
5 Breachers - 40pts

Stealth Team, Homing Beacon, Drone Controller - 115pts
3 XV8s w/ 2x CIB, ATS, 6 Gun Drones - 306pts

4 Gun Drones - 32pts
4 Gun Drones - 32pts
4 Gun Drones - 32pts

Devilfish - 127pts
Devilfish - 127pts
Devilfish - 127pts

Outrider Detachment:

6 Pathfinders - 48pts
5 Shield Drones - 40pts
4 Shield Drones - 32pts
4 Shield Drones - 32pts
Y'vraha, Target Lock, ATS - 415pts

Devilfish transports: 1 devilfish will transport the 3 squads of 4 Gun Drones (Delivering, with the Fireblade's buff, 84 shots at 9"). Another one will transport the 2 squads of 6 Breachers and the last one the 5 tau Breacher unit, the pathfinders and the fireblade.
Originally these were all filled by breachers, but I've toned them down slightly - the drones for some high rate of fire weapons against normal infantry, and the pathfinders because I was (and tbh still am) lacking markerlights.

The 3 Squads of Shield Drones: The 5-strong one will protect the y'vraha (and if it gets destroyed the gun drones can come out of the devilfish to cover it).
I have quite a peculiar use in mind for the other two squads. They are to be the backfield objective holders - which may seem weird given they have no long-ranged weapons, but I think their not causing any danger to the opponent will make them not target the drones, leaving them to claim the VP when that objective card comes up. I've never tried this before so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with similar tactics.

Y'vraha support systems: I'm picking 2 out of Stims, ATS and Target Lock. At the moment I've dropped stims because I don't think I'll be able to get 3 markerlights on the target I want and the shield drones should protect it, but I'm not too sure about this one.

Markerlights:
My army is really short on markerlights - hence the pathfinders and the marker drones (instead of shield drones) with the commanders. Good ways of getting more markerlights would be greatly appreciated.

As per usual, thanks in advance for your help!

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: 2000pts Mechanised - Much to Improve!

Post#2 » Oct 13 2017 05:58

I don't like the idea of Shield drones holding objectives in this list. You have 6 threats in your list: y'vraha, fish with breachers, fish with drones, crisis suits 2 commanders. I reccommend replacing some shield drones units with pathfinders. This gives you backfield support and can engage the enemy with shooting if need be. This can fix your markerlight problem.

I reccommend making the pathfinder team that pairs with the breachers become another unit of breachers. This will give you 7 decent threat units.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 13 2017 04:13

Ah but doing this all but guarantees that the pathfinders will be shot at and targeted turn one/two as they are the only soft targets on the board and are my only large maekerlight source - I think it makes them far too tempting a target.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 13 2017 05:37

The opponent's guns are going to shoot at something regardless. If they're not focusing on Pathfinders and they're focusing on your other threats. That being said giving them more targets to choose from that are valuable makes it harder for them to play optimally because there are so many decisions. Example:you have a y'vraha in position with shield drones and a tactical unit objective holding nearby

your opponent can shoot at a
1. y'vraha with drones or path finders(my suggestions)
2. Y'vraha with shield drones or shield drones doing nothing but objective holding (your suggestion)

If you opponent has barely enough fire power to wipe out the y'vraha and drones for this example, in situation 1. A.He can try to kill the y'vraha or may make the choice to attack the pathfinders giving you another turn of shooting with one of your best units. Results: you ether have a(b) y'vraha or a(a) unit of pathfinders or option three (a) fail to kill any full unit due to poor split firing choices

2. His best option is probably to try to eliminate the y'vraha. It's only better to attack the non treating sheld unit if the objective holding threatens to tip the scales to win you the game with points. If the threat to win with points isn't pressuring your opponent then those shield drones effectively sat on the bench that turn. I just feel that if the shield drones do the job of objective holding your already winning, and at that point your 'winning more' a game you already are favorable. The pathfinders can sit on an objective and do other things if they sit there for the same points and have the ability to try to take an objective help by a weak an opponent controls

That's my thought process...

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 13 2017 11:01

I like this list a lot- great in-your-face firepower with the Devilfish and Y'vahra combination. However, I think one issue is that, while the Devilfish may usually work together, they may not always do so. So, I'd fix the Devilfish-mounted troops to the Fireblade goes with the Drones, the Breachers can be in two teams of 2x5 (if you actually have more than 20 Breachers we can go to two teams of 2x6 actually). Otherwise your Commanders, XV8s, Stealthsuits, etc look like they have good loadouts. I'd change the Drones and Markerlights though, but let's look at that once the 'core' of the list is worked out. Anyway, here's what the core of the list would look like with a couple of changes:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 5x Breachers (40)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIB, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)

As the 'core' to your list, so to speak, this is all sitting at 1854 points. You still need Markerlights (at least 5 hits per turn, with redundancy). You also could do with some Drones to guard the Y'vahra... but be careful with those. The Y'vahra is much faster than its Drones. Let's add the following units:

Fast Attack - 4x Shield Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 7x Pathfinders (56)

That would give us the following complete list:

-

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIB, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - 4x Shield Drones (32)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)

Total: 1998 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

It's a lot of units, but it compresses down to only 11 drops. The Devilfish can work together or separately, and the Pathfinders can camp out in cover as opposed to losing efficiency inside a Devilfish. Finally, this list is all about bringing the fight to the enemy- take and hold midfield objectives, and leave your backfield objectives to Pathfinders if need be. Play aggressively and this list will be very dangerous, I think.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 17 2017 09:04

Thanks for the feedback!
The final list I submitted was this one:

Battalion Detachment:

Cadre Fireblade - 42pts

6 Breachers - 48pts
6 Breachers - 48pts
6 Breachers - 48pts
5 Breachers - 40pts

Stealth Team, Homing Beacon, Drone Controller - 115pts
3 XV8s w/ 2x CIB, ATS, 6 Gun Drones - 306pts

4 Gun Drones - 32pts
4 Gun Drones - 32pts
4 Gun Drones - 32pts

Devilfish - 127pts
Devilfish - 127pts
Devilfish - 127pts

Outrider Detachment:

5 Pathfinders - 40pts
5 Pathfinders - 40pts
4 Shield Drones - 32pts

Me and my opponent have swapped lists and he's playing an infantry heavy ynnari army with 4x 20 Guardians, Shining Spears, Shadoe Spectres, some psykers and the Yncarne. The plan is to take out his fast units and tie up his guardians by charging in with the devilfishes, but I know there could be some tricks heading my way!
Anyway the game is tomorrow and I might post a battle report about it depending on how exciting it is.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 17 2017 07:46

Watcher on the wall wrote:4 Gun Drones - 32pts
4 Gun Drones - 32pts
4 Gun Drones - 32pts

Still not putting the Fireblade with his Gun Drones? Be careful with that, and keep the Devilfish together then!

Anyway, good luck! :biggrin:

zawyvern
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 18 2017 07:06

Watcher on the wall wrote:Outrider Detachment:

5 Pathfinders - 40pts
5 Pathfinders - 40pts
4 Shield Drones - 32pts

D'oh! Just realized I've been pricing my shield drones at 10 pts a pop. All the wasted points! I'm sure it wouldn't have made much of a difference. But a simple transposition error that should have been avoided.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 18 2017 11:31

zawyvern wrote:
Watcher on the wall wrote:Outrider Detachment:

5 Pathfinders - 40pts
5 Pathfinders - 40pts
4 Shield Drones - 32pts

D'oh! Just realized I've been pricing my shield drones at 10 pts a pop. All the wasted points! I'm sure it wouldn't have made much of a difference. But a simple transposition error that should have been avoided.

Hey, free points! Remember that Marker Drones and Stealth Drones do cost 10 points though.

Return to “Cadre Building”