Casual(ish) 1000pt List Help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Casual(ish) 1000pt List Help

Post#1 » Dec 14 2017 07:34

So I recently picked up an XV9 Hazard suit that I plan on using Sunday (may post a little project log on Saturday, gives me an excuse to build, spray and paint it!) for a casual game.

A little detail about the game itself...
Spoiler!
The game is roughyl 4-a-side, with a captain on each playing 2000 points while the rest of us play 1000. On my side we have myself with Tau, another Tau player, an Eldar player and a AdMech player. We'll be facing off against Chaos Marines & Daemons, Death Guard and Orks. I'm pretty sure the game will be objective-based. Only the captains are allowed 1 Lord of War each, so no Stormsurge for me :roll:

This is my list so far:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [55 PL, 1003pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [7 PL, 92pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone . 7x Pathfinder: 7x Markerlight . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol . Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: Ion rifle

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander [7 PL, 163pts]: 3x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone, Shield generator

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 150pts]: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Shield generator

+ Troops +

Strike Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle . 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle . 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 306pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone . Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster . Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster . Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster

XV9 Hazard Support Team [9 PL, 130pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone . XV9 Hazard Battlesuit: 2x Double-barelled burst cannon, Drone controller

++ Total: [55 PL, 1003pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I'm pretty happy with it - I'm excited to try out the Hazard suit, I've heard some good things about it on the forums. My plan is to Manta Strike it in with the Crisis Suits and use it as a general drone caddy while the Coldstar grabs objectives and the Fusion Commander deals with anything bigger and nastier.

Any thoughts, additions, etc?
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Casual(ish) 1000pt List Help

Post#2 » Dec 14 2017 07:18

This list looks quite good. The XV8s, XV9 with Drone Controller, two Commanders, etc. all seem solid. Running a Battalion at 1000 points means you have a lot of infantry, and less alpha strike ability than you might otherwise want, so I'd try to be the main "objective holder" on your team if you can.

The one change I would make would be to the Pathfinders and Fire Warriors. The Pathfinders, with their single Ion Rifle and pair of barely-useful drones, seem overly-expensive for what they do. I'd drop down to just six Pathfinders (48), three with Ion Rifles (+12), and give your Fire Warrior Shas'ui a Markerlight each (+9). That would bring your list to 980 points. I think the perfect addition would be a Firesight Marksman, for the bonus Command Point and reliable Markerlight, but you could also give the Pathfinders a pair of Shield Drones if you're worried about keeping them alive, or you could give your Fusion Commander a fourth Fusion Blaster.

What do you think?

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 15 2017 05:29

Arka0415 wrote:This list looks quite good. The XV8s, XV9 with Drone Controller, two Commanders, etc. all seem solid. Running a Battalion at 1000 points means you have a lot of infantry, and less alpha strike ability than you might otherwise want, so I'd try to be the main "objective holder" on your team if you can.

I think that's my plan for the game, I know the AdMech player will likely be focusing on taking down the heavier stuff, the other Tau players loves her Kroot so she'll be playing a much more casual list. The Eldar player mostly fields Jetbikes, but having played on his team several times, he'll be focusing on kills more I think.

Arka0415 wrote:The one change I would make would be to the Pathfinders and Fire Warriors. The Pathfinders, with their single Ion Rifle and pair of barely-useful drones, seem overly-expensive for what they do. I'd drop down to just six Pathfinders (48), three with Ion Rifles (+12), and give your Fire Warrior Shas'ui a Markerlight each (+9). That would bring your list to 980 points. I think the perfect addition would be a Firesight Marksman, for the bonus Command Point and reliable Markerlight, but you could also give the Pathfinders a pair of Shield Drones if you're worried about keeping them alive, or you could give your Fusion Commander a fourth Fusion Blaster.

What do you think?

Yeah that's a fair comment! I only have 1 Ion Rifle and 1 Rail Rifle though, so I may have to take both of those instead of 3 Ions. I only put the Grav and Pulse drones in because I know the chaos players sure love their charges, so anything I can do to make it more difficult is nice :) I think I'll go for a Firesight Marksman though, I planned on kitbashing one earlier this month so now I have an excuse to just that!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 15 2017 06:23

Ghostly Daemon wrote:Yeah that's a fair comment! I only have 1 Ion Rifle and 1 Rail Rifle though, so I may have to take both of those instead of 3 Ions. I only put the Grav and Pulse drones in because I know the chaos players sure love their charges, so anything I can do to make it more difficult is nice :) I think I'll go for a Firesight Marksman though, I planned on kitbashing one earlier this month so now I have an excuse to just that!

All in all, I just wouldn't bring any Pathfinders then. The list is still viable. Here's how you could do it:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Fusion Blasters, Shield Generator; 2x Shield Drones (163)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors (40)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - XV9 w/ 2x DBBC, Drone Controller; 4x Gun Drones (133)
Elites - Firesight Marksman w/ Markerlight (24)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment

-

Low on Markerlights, but you'll have just enough to get re-rolling ones on one target or another. If you want more Markerlights we can certainly add more in, this is just an idea.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 15 2017 09:18

Arka0415 wrote:
Ghostly Daemon wrote:Yeah that's a fair comment! I only have 1 Ion Rifle and 1 Rail Rifle though, so I may have to take both of those instead of 3 Ions. I only put the Grav and Pulse drones in because I know the chaos players sure love their charges, so anything I can do to make it more difficult is nice :) I think I'll go for a Firesight Marksman though, I planned on kitbashing one earlier this month so now I have an excuse to just that!

All in all, I just wouldn't bring any Pathfinders then. The list is still viable. Here's how you could do it:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Fusion Blasters, Shield Generator; 2x Shield Drones (163)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - XV9 w/ 2x DBBC, Drone Controller; 4x Gun Drones (133)
Elites - Firesight Marksman w/ Markerlight (24)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment

-

Low on Markerlights, but you'll have just enough to get re-rolling ones on one target or another. If you want more Markerlights we can certainly add more in, this is just an idea.

Drop the firesight and hide 3 ML in the strike teams and drop a squad of gun drones for a squad of 5 pathfinders. 7 points left which is poop.

Not sure if I'm sold on the XV9 without ATS. It's 133 points for essentially just more s5 shots and the ability to drop 4 drones where you want to. If you put an ATS on that, I might be convinced that's an ok idea.

Again, not so certain of the fireblade since XV8's with their gun drones will arguably be the best spot for the fireblade to be near to buff but they won't be anywhere near him to do so. Buffing only 15 strike team firewarriors who will likely be grabbing backfield objectives and likely not together, I find it a highly questionable choice in this list. Drop the XV9 and the fireblade for another commander of some flavor?

If you insist on using the XV9, drop the fireblade and squeeze in 6 more pathfinders or 4 paths and 2 ions or 6 drones of various flavor.

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 15 2017 09:45

Yojimbob wrote:Drop the firesight and hide 3 ML in the strike teams and drop a squad of gun drones for a squad of 5 pathfinders. 7 points left which is poop.

Not sure if I'm sold on the XV9 without ATS. It's 133 points for essentially just more s5 shots and the ability to drop 4 drones where you want to. If you put an ATS on that, I might be convinced that's an ok idea.

Again, not so certain of the fireblade since XV8's with their gun drones will arguably be the best spot for the fireblade to be near to buff but they won't be anywhere near him to do so. Buffing only 15 strike team firewarriors who will likely be grabbing backfield objectives and likely not together, I find it a highly questionable choice in this list. Drop the XV9 and the fireblade for another commander of some flavor?

If you insist on using the XV9, drop the fireblade and squeeze in 6 more pathfinders or 4 paths and 2 ions or 6 drones of various flavor.

Well, the XV9 was planned to be a tougher drone caddy, I could swap it for some Stealth suits maybe, but this will be my first chance to use it so I'm fairly attached to the idea of using it :P

The Fireblade is more of a BS2+ ML platform, his buff isn't terribly important to me, the FWs are just a tax for the extra 3CPs in this case. They'll be good for sitting on objectives I suppose, but I doubt they're going to do a huge amount besides harass something at ~30".

I do agree with both yours and Arka's suggestions though, I think they're both valid lists and I appreciate the help :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 17 2017 09:02

Ghostly Daemon wrote:Well, the XV9 was planned to be a tougher drone caddy, I could swap it for some Stealth suits maybe, but this will be my first chance to use it so I'm fairly attached to the idea of using it :P

The XV9 makes for a fantastic Drone Controller unit. It's the only single model we have that can deep strike with a Drone Controller (besides the Commander).

Return to “Cadre Building”