My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(27/9/11)

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(27/9/11)

Post#1 » Sep 12 2009 11:23

5 years ago I picked up a small force of tau in 3rd edition. I played a couple games with my brother and we probably played them pretty wrong as we are primarily fantasy players. Well after my fire warriors had collected enough dust I decided to try my hand at 40k again as the fantasy community in my area was rather small. I mustered up all my troops and found that I could make a 1000 point list which included

Shas'el - Fire Knife, Targeting array

Shas'el - Burning Eye, Shield Generator, Targeting array (Actually he's commander farsight I used this configurartion because I know people like to see the models with the same gear and I thought it most closely represented it)

2 BASS

1 Railhead

10 Fire Warriors

15 Kroot

6 stealthsuits - with Targeting arrays

I have like 3 pathfinders and 4 drones who didn't make the cut on the list so this is like everything

So with my dusty rag tag army that has some one armed kroot I roll up to my hobby store hoping not to get massacred (Although I fully expected it). I met a nice guy who I think was named Alan who had an awesomely painted marines army who said he'd have no problem updating me on the rules (I had looked on this website a bit to find out what was new and different which is why I knew to make my broadsides into BASS :D). He cut down his 1850 point list to 1000 and it looked something like this.

1 captain
2 predators - las cannon sponsons, and an auto cannon turret (I think I got confused a good amount this game)
2 rhinos with 10 man tac squads
2 Whirlwind speeders

I roll dawn of war deployment and hold an objective marker for the deployment type and scenario. There's a big river running through the centre a bridge on my right flank in the middle and a 2 tiered hill in my deployment zone, some shrubs in front of it and some ruins right in front of the river really almost at my left table edge. The rest of the terrain was fairly unimportant. So he gets to deploy first and throws his 2 tac squads down on the centre line one on my right flank with his commander and one on my left. I hold my Kroot back in reserve and set up my fire warriors into the ruins for cover with the Fire Knife Shas'el in cover there too. I made the ruins my objective, he made the bridge his (This was kind of odd he deployed his marker in some factory right opposite my ruins that was on his side, and after he saw how I deployed he changed it, is he allowed to do that or do both players place markers after deployment?)

His Turn 1
So with deployment done I fail to seize initiative and all of his tanks roll onto the board on my left flank going rhino predator predator rhino making his last rhino just to the right of the middle of the table. His two Whirlwinds come screaming down the my right flank. His captain tac marines sort of sit around the bridge and wait while his marines on my right flank run towards my ruins.

My turn 1
My Kroot and Stealth suits stay in reserve so that they can come in and flank as I didn't want to give the marines one big clump of dudes to just run into and massacre. The 2 Bass who are individual models both come in behind the ruins giving them line of sight to the predators and my burning eye shas'el comes in behind the ruins and jumps over them with the fire knife shas'el. Even a newbie like me knows don't want to fight a little puppy dog let alone supermen in power armour I promptly had my commanders, railhead, and fire warrior units unload on the space marine unit. This reduced them to two models who fall back a little. My railguns shot at the predators managing to do nothing. With the shooting done I have my commanders jump behind the ruins again and hope the difficult terrain stops the marines from making it in range of my fire warriors.

His turn 2
His Tac squad makes a bad roll on the river's difficult terrain and he moves too slowly to be able to charge in, he has them run which ends up being really slow too so he hasn't crossed the river. His Tanks stay in position happy to realize I made my first blunder I noticed, my Bass were not in cover and in line of sight of 4 las cannons. He promptly proceeds to decimate one Bass. the other BASS will now be referred to as the lucky BASS or the eater of Las Cannons as he manages to dodge them for the rest of the game thanks to the dice gods (He had no real help from me that's for sure). He asks me if I have a disruption pod on my railhead (Do I have to tell him?), When he finds out I do he runs his two whirlwinds up close and unloads on my rear armour, which prevents me from shooting for my next turn. His rhino on my right flank moves further down it but gets stuck in the river, and the other rhino stays towards the centre on my left flank. His other marines chill by the bridge.

My turn 2
My Kroot come in on the left flank and the stealth suits don't come in at all. The Kroot move towards the tanks hoping to be able to attack some rear armour. The lucky broadside embarrassed shuffles to the side a bit so he is in cover from the predators, ( I still thought I needed him to take out those things it was just a hazard of the job of being a tank hunter imo) and at least now only two las cannons could see him, he manages to take out one las cannon. The railhead moves to the extreme right flank and shoves his bum up along the board edge so as not to allow the typhoons to shoot at his rear armour. The commanders jump out from the ruins and manage to immobilize the second predator.The fire warriors unload on the space marines and only manage to kill one. (I'm still nervous about that one guy cause I bet he eats little puppy dogs for breakfast I hope he isn't in range)

His Turn 3
His space marine rolls horribly on the whole difficult terrain and he isn't able to charge in thankfully. His rhino on my left flank tank shocks my kroot who promptly fail their leadership test and run away. He tells me that he is just going to make my Kroot ran away. The Lucky Bass eats a las cannon shot like a cookie but suffers a wound from the auto cannon.The two Typhoons move right up next to the rail head and unload on the side armour making it so he can't move. His other predator fails to kill any fire warriors, and the bridge loving squad does what they do best, sit on the bridge.

My turn 3
My kroot are within 6" of his rhino so they can't rally (News to me he tells me that he is just going to do that all game! Not if I have anything to say about it). My stealth suits don't like seeing their kroot buddies picked on so they finally come on on my left board and move up to unload on the rhino which they manage to immobilize it. My hammer head gets annoyed at the pestering little whirlwinds and fires his rail gun at one and his smart missile system at the other destroying one immobilizing the other. The last marine from that one tac squad bite it, and my stealth suits use the rhino as cover. The lucky broadside continues his shooting duel with the predator with the accuracy of a blind man and the strength of an infant.

His turn 4
he moves his one movable predator as fast as he can towards my ruins. His captains unit chills on the bridge, his whirlwind blasts at my hammerhead to no effect, my lucky Broadside continues to eat las cannon and autoccanon shots like candy (Writing this makes me realize I maybe should have hidden him from the predator in the ruins and unloaded on the marines squad in the bridge.

My Turn 4
The Hammerhead runs up the right flank full tilt and shoots his sub munitions at the guys on the bridge killing maybe two or three. They didn't run though, My Commanders and stealth suits immobilize the advancing predator, and destroy the only las cannon that can shoot at my main group of dudes. the lucky bass does nothing productive, the kroot continued to run off the board.

His Turn 5
He finally explains to me that the game will end up being a draw because there's no way he can contest my objective marker with his tank. I'm like wait what? Tanks can do that? and a small glimmer of hope that my railhead can zip in and steal me the win is entirely possible. He moves his last movable predator as fast as he can to try get in range of my tank if the game goes to turn 6. The lucky broadside is sad that his steady diet of autocannon and las cannon shots is over.

My turn 5

I try to run my railhead as close up to the marker as possible. I am 1/16" away from t he 3" of it that I need. Which by letter of the rules my opponent said made me not able to win. He did however allow me to move my tank a bit off to the side into cover so that hopefully if a 6th turn happened I could win. My shots did nothing I remember.

The game ends there which was technically a draw but a moral victory for me, and I learned a lot. I came to the realization that tanks even with rail guns tanks can be really annoying to kill. I kept rolling 1's for armour penetration.

We played a second game which was based off of kill points. He mixed up his army and had some terminators lost the whirlwinds and the captain. the only thing of note that really happened (asides from him killing every model in my army but the lucky broadside who took on a unit of tac marines for a couple turns. was my 10 fire warriors killing 3 of his terminators in 1 round of shooting, and the look of fear on my opponents face when my BASS sniped a rhino with my deep striking Fire Knife causing a failed morale check on the first turn, and me thinking that I might be able to use my jump pack movement in the assault phase to make his guys run off the board like he did with my kroot. (He actually said he'd let me move like I was in difficult terrain cause we both didn't know as he didn't play against taut often. He changed his tune when he learned his ful tac squad might be down the drain and we looked real hard for the rule. Apparently you can't but the look on his face was funny. He also moved his dudes on a bit of an angle away from my fireknife and he was just outside of 6" away from him, is he allowed to do that or does he have to go right straight to his table edge.). His terminators also deep striked off the board twice surviving both times, and when they landed they landed 1/2" in front of my fire warriors

The games were lots of fun, I came out expecting to get massacred the fact that I drew my first real game that wasn't against my brother was a real nice surprise. The fact that my lucky broadside lived through another shooting match with the same predator also made me happy event though I got massacred.

In this encounter I learned that I need to watch my opponents objective more, if I had done that earlier and been a tad more close with my hammerhead I would have won the game. Spreading out some components of my army trying to go on the extreme flanks or work in behind him really frustrated a lot of his attempts to try to get into my little fortress. The burning eye was great when marines were up close but I need to find ways to get him so that he can spend more times shooting at marines. Also I think one guy in my stealth team will have a fusion blaster when I can get my hands on the model, as that would really have helped them out in their light anti tank role, and the extra BS increase to them was worth every penny.

I hope I posted this in the right place and some of you enjoyed the read and hopefully can answer some of my questions I had in the text about the legality of some of his moves.
Last edited by Draaen on Sep 27 2011 10:16, edited 13 times in total.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: My first Battles as Tau vs. Space MArines

Post#2 » Sep 12 2009 11:58

Welcome to ATT Draaen!

Sounds like a fun first few games, your deployment and tactics seemed pretty sound to me.

Sadly though, it doesn't sound like your opponent was being very courteous considering this was your first game in a few years.

Draaen wrote:(This was kind of odd he deployed his marker in some factory right opposite my ruins that was on his side, and after he saw how I deployed he changed it, is he allowed to do that or do both players place markers after deployment?)

Shout out to the more rules-knowledgeable members of ATT who might miss this: Is this legal? :eek:

My stealth suits don't like seeing their kroot buddies picked on so they finally come on on my left board and move up to unload on the rhino which they manage to immobilize it

That's the way to stick together! :biggrin:
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#3 » Sep 13 2009 01:04

I'd like to second what Militant.Jester said in welcoming you to ATT.

Thanks for your battle report write up. I feel your pain about always rolling 1's for armor penetration. I usually play against a mechanical engineer and he likes to make fun of me because he thinks its statistically impossible for me to roll as many ones as I do. :P

*Mod hat on*
I'm going to move your thread up to the Upper Concourse (UC) which is the place for battle reports, rules questions, tactical discussions, etc. In other words, the UC is for the gaming aspect of WH40K. The Lower Concourse is for modeling, painting and showcasing the various hands on aspects of the hobby.

Hope this helps and once again, welcome to ATT. :)

Gracian
Shas

Post#4 » Sep 13 2009 02:55

Thanks for the battle report! Considering how long it had been, I'd say you did pretty well. My first bit of advice would be to get yourself a copy of the 5th edition rules, if you don't have it already. Read it thoroughly, especially the chapter on assaulting and close combat. Since the favored tactic of killing Tau for most armies in hand-to-hand combat, know the assault rules front to back so you don't get short-changed.

There were a couple of rule errors that definitely went against you in these games. The one that didn't was when he switched his objective location. You can't do that, but I think it actually helped you out in this game! Having his objective closer to your zone allows you a better chance to contest it in the later turns. He set himself up for a pretty devastating tank shock if the game went another turn, he was lucky it ended on Turn 5.

Other rules answers: it's expected that you tell any opponent about extra gear if he asks. He is correct that you can't use jetpack assault moves after a Deep Strike.
His terminators also deep striked off the board twice surviving both times, and when they landed they landed 1/2" in front of my fire warriors

Actually, you can't do that. Deep striking within 1" of an enemy unit results in another Deep Strike Mishap. Those Terminators got pretty lucky. Normally I might let it slide, but if you were 1/16" short of contesting, right?

You must move retreating units directly towards the table edge, unless other units or terrain block the way. This was the bad one. Cutting a diagonal to get 6" away from your unit is pretty close to cheating. I'm sure that he was a nice guy, and most people don't want to cheat for a win. But my rule is that if something smells fishy, then it probably is fishy. Just take your rulebook along and you'll be fine.

And since I just can't help myself, I'll add a couple of army list pointers. 5th edition annihilation missions really punish players who spread out models into different units, i.e. having two separate Broadside teams. Combine those two into one unit, give the leader a Target Lock if you want them to shoot at different enemies, and add a shield drone to protect against lascannons. That build is much tougher to destroy, and it only gives up 1 kill point. Broadsides rock!

If you think you like stealth teams now, just wait until you face a horde army. I would caution against sinking too many points into them though. One markerlight hit has the same effect as all those expensive Targeting Arrays.

Good luck in your upcoming battles, and remember that we love battle reports. :D

Firestorm
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 13 2009 08:34

One markerlight hit has the same effect as all those expensive Targeting Arrays.

Yes, but that one markerlight is also easier to kill, is it not?

As mentioned he did kinda cheat on that fall back. Although for the objective he might also have had it to close. Remember, objectives must maintain a minimum distance. If they were too close he might have decided he'd move his, giving you first pick basically. (Which would have been awfully nice of him)

Great first game against marines. Enjoy your stay!

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Sep 15 2009 05:41

Yeah I was at the point where I wanted to get some pathfinders, I even have a blister. I just never got a devil fish for them. That and I wanted to make my army as expensive as possible so that my opponent didn't have to cut off as many points because as far as I know 1000 point battles are not the norm for bring in warhammer.

I'm thinking the next buys I'll get is a battalion box, some pathfinders with railguns, and some more crisis suits. I converted myself up a drone controller so I should be able to make myself some sniper drones which I want to try out. I'm really excited about the different suit load outs though. I like the sound of death rains, or helios patterns, or a twin linked fusion blaster with missile pod. I figure with that last load out I can have them deep strike deep into enemy territory well beyond where I need to worry about them getting destroyed by landing on an enemy unit, and they can be effective at a long distance, and if they need to they can get up close to really be a thorn in the side to heavy artillery, or very heavily armoured troops. I would just hope to slow down the advance of my opponents army into my main troop displacements.

Also I just remembered I had my commander join up with a Kroot unit that was in cover. During my movement phase my hero would hop around to get better LOS to a tank but still within unit coherency of the kroot. Then my character would jump back into the centre of the unit (not in difficult terrain). My opponent wasn't sure if I was able to do this because I was part of the unit at the end of the movement phase, and since you are supposed to move as slow as the slowest member of your unit am I allowed to hop around inside the unit during the assault phase?

Thanks for all the replies.

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Sep 15 2009 06:55

I do not think you are allowed to do that. It doesn't really matter though, as if he was in a squad with the kroot, you could just assign the wound to the Kroot. And he could see some of the kroot right, even though you moved your battlesuit? So fluffwise you are not needlessly sacrificing them.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Sep 28 2009 02:12

I ended up being able to make it out to my local gaming store for a quick game before work. I had updated my paint job to make it more crisp and respectable looking, and my hammer head got an appreciative ooh out of my opponent. Which might have been because hammerheads look cool and he said he had never played against tau before and had heard that they were bad because they were terrible in assault.

Having spent money on painting supplies I had not picked up any new models and my army stayed pretty much the same. The only difference was that the hammerhead lost some upgrades that I deemed unneeded so that my broadsides could be a team and fire at two separate targets. Oh and I set up my hammerhead on a flying base which is really high. Before he just laid on the ground.

His Army was
1 master of the forge with particle cannon
1 land raider with 2 twin linked las cannons
5 terminators 4 with power hammer and shield, and 1 with 2 lightning claws
2 units of 10 marines
1 rhino

I'll describe the board as the top being my opponents table edge, and the left and right flanks as my left and right flanks. The board set up had a ruin in the top left corner a little factory in the top right some craters in the middle of the table, middle left had a fairly large ruin, in the bottom right an open topped bunker, and more towards the middle in the bottom a fairly size able hill. In between the factory and the open topped bunker is another set of ruins.

We get the anhialation mission and the dawn of war deployment, he decides to deploy first. He sets his master of the forge in the top left ruins, and a 10 man tac unit into the ruins between the factory and the open topped bunker. I deploy my twin linked plasma hero behind the ruins in middle left, and my fire warriors in the same ruins. I fail to seize initiative and my opponent goes first. He reinforced the ruins that his tac marines were sitting in.

His turn 1:
He brings his Land raider and rhino in on the top left the Land raider hugging the table edge and the rhino coming in on the right side of the ruins his master of the forge is in. Everyone fails their night fighting checks and the turn passes to me. His rhino popped smoke launchers.

My turn 1:
I jump my commander to the side so he can get a bead on the master of the forge. I bring in my broadsides on the bottom left to hopefully stop the land raider from dropping his terminator goodies in my ruins, and I bring in the Hammerhead in the middle of the field. I decide to leave my fire knife commander, stealth suits, and kroot in reserve. My railhead blasts the tac marines in the ruins and kill 1 or 2, the broadsides luckily manage to see the land raider but fail to do any damage. The big success of the turn was that my fire warriors did one wound to the master of the forge and my plasma commander finished him off. My commander jumps back behind cover and I call it a turn. Now I'm worried about my broadsides I really needed them to at least stun that stupid land raider.

His turn 2:
His land raider continues to move up my left flank and shoots down 1 of my broadsides (Obviously I left the lucky broadside in hoping that he could repeat his extreme feat of endurance again). His rhino runs up to the ruins and he turns it so his but is facing toward my fire warriors but he leaves his tac marines inside. His tac marines in the ruins remain there and shoot at nothing.

My turn 2:
My Kroot came in on the left flank and were going to try to help against the rear armour of the rhino or against the remaining tac squad, and maybe divert the terminators or tac squad away from my little fortress. They set up shop in the master of the forge's old ruins. My stealth suits come on in a flanking action on my right flank to start shooting at the tac squad in the ruins. They're cover save means nothing if I'm not going to pen their armour anyways right? My broadside shimmies to the right to narrow down the las cannon shots that can be directed to him to 1, my commander jumps on top of the ruins so he can see the rhino. My Rail head shoots at the rhino and I get a penetrating hit and roll a 6. Now I'm up 2 kill points to none. The smart missile system shoots ineffectually at the tac marines on the right flank. My Commander and fire warriors open fire on the tac squad killing 4 or 5 of them. The broadside yet again rolls a 1 for armour penetration and does nothing to the land raider. The stealth suits shoot the tac marines, and do maybe a wound (He had ridiculously lucky saves. The commander jumps behind the ruins, the stealth suits jump behind the little factory (Something which my opponent is distinctly unhappy about).

His turn 3:
I knew this turn was going to be bad however I hadn't realized how bad it would be. Obviously his tac marines charged in against the fire warriors. The fire warriors managed to run away with 2 models left, His terminators disembarked and rolled really high for difficult terrain and just managed to assault my commander who then bit it, and the land raider put an end to my formerly lucky broadsides lucky streak. I was a sad puppy. His tac marines still insisted that a cover save they weren't going to use was important and stayed put.

My turn 3:
My fire knife commander yet again fails to materialize, and I realize that my kroot are going to get slaughtered if the land raider comes in to tank shock or the terminators get their hands on them so they start running as fast as they can over to the right flank in the hopes that they will be able to help finish off the unit of marines in the fortified ruins. My fire warriors rally, and my hammerhead slowly begines to move more towards the right flank to distance himself from the terminators and marines. The fire warriors unleash hell on the terminators and actually manage to drop one of them which brought a smile to my face, and a frown to my opponents who had a hard time figuring which model to remove. My railhead shoots at the unit in the ruins, as do my stealth suits. I might have killed 2 (HE was really lucky with those darn saves)

His turn 4:
His terminators start trying to chase after my kroot. I have no idea why but I was alright with it. His tac marines that are by the land raider hide in the land raider something I had not considered. Up to this point I was not terribly concerned, and thought I had position on him, and he had two weakened units of tac marines. He may have been up by one but I could conceivably go up two kill points, and more then likely one while he should get none. Meaning I was more then likely going to draw or win. His land raider could only be killed by my railhead now which made me nervous because his land raider moved up to fire on the hammerhead who in a foolish act of bravado had left their side armour exposed. Thankfully the hammerhead was only immobilized. The tac marines in the ruins come out of their ruins to flush my stealth suits out of the factory.

My turn 4:
Finally my commander comes in who walks in bottom right and gets the tac squad lined up with his missile pod. The kroot continue to head towards my right flank, and the stealth suits start heading down to my open topped bunker near my hammerhead and commander. I roll two ones to hit with my missile pods, fail to capitilize anything on the 10 wounds on his tac squad, and the hammerhead fails to do anything to the land raider. The only good thing about the turn is the kroot rolled a 6 for their run distance. The commander jumps into the open topped bunker closing the distance to the tac marines.

His turn 5:
His Land raider moves forward a bit, and his terminators take cover in some ruins realizing they are no longer going to be a part of the game. His tac squad wants to fire on the stealth team but fails to be able to see them. The Land raiders las cannon shots both penetrate but that lovely piece of gear known as the disruption pod saves the day and my tank is as happy as a fish in water.

My turn 5:
The kroot still out of range head over one more turn to be able to shoot at the tac squad, the stealth suits jump in range, and my commander gets within 24" for his plasma rifle. My commander shoots and misses with the plasma rifle, but manages to kill 1 with his missiled pod. The stealth suits yet again fail to capitalize on any of the many wounds they generated. The big success was the hammerhead getting a glancing hit and then rolling a 6 so that it destroyed the land raider. I hadn't even realized that could happen on a glancing hit. Now I was hoping for a turn 6 as that would most likely assure my victory.

However that was not to be I rolled a 2 and it was done. I made some stupid mistakes that game, I should have kept my broadsides in reserve till turn 2, and tried to make the sure they were in cover. Had the kroot come out on the right flank I might have destroyed that tac squad and won the game. Leaving my army so bunched up in the corner was too tempting of a target for my opponent to resist and it gave him too many kill points which was a hole I almost couldn't dig myself out of. since he committed all of his forces on my left pretty much I should have sent my broadsides on my right side and shot him at range using the hammerhead as cover. The hammerhead would essentially be in cover due to the disruption pods. Also drones, like shield drones seem incredibly useful now. If I had had 2 shield drones chances are with the way he rolled with the land raider my broadsides would have lived to turn 3 without a single loss of a suit assuming average rolls on my part. that second shot on turn 2 might have destroyed the land raider which would have left my commander alive potentially and allowed him to run away which would have been the difference between winning and losing in this game. I also now see one of the big downsides to a gun line army. If I had had a devilfish I might have been able to get my fire warriors the heck out of there which would have preserved their fire power for the other tac squads and preserved a kill point.

Hopefully I can head out next week again, and I'll report the new game and what happens.

Hope you guys enjoyed the report

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: My first Battles as Tau Bat rep blog.

Post#9 » Oct 15 2009 03:15

I've decided to change the set up of the little blog I ended up with her. I'll discuss the strategies I went in with then analyze any surprises or hitches that came into play to figure out what to do better. Hopefully this will help someone else who comes along later after I get to a decent skill level to learn from my mistakes and see the learning curve.

So since thanksgiving was being celebrated up in Canada I gave my cousins a call, and let them know to get ready cause my tau were coming to kill their tyranid, and chaos space marines butts. Since I have the smallest army out of them I was allowed to use proxies to bring up the army to 2250 points, as surprisingly my one cousin came into a landfall of free space marines and a land raider. So without further ado here is the battle of kitchen floor pass.

All right so my army obviously changed drastically

Fire'O
Fireknife, targeting array, Hard wired multi tracker, Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones
2X Bodyguard
Fireknife, targeting array, Hard Wired Multi Tracker

Helios' O
Plasma, Fusion Blaster, Targeting array, hard wired multi tracker, Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones, Stim injector
2X Bodyguard
Plasma, Fusion Blaster, Targeting array, hard wired multi tracker

6X Stealth Suits
Targetting array on everyone, Leader has Bonding Knife, multi tracker, Marker Light, and Target Lock

6X Stealth Suits
Targetting array on everyone, Leader has Bonding Knife, multi tracker, Marker Light, and Target Lock

12X Fire Warriors
Bonding Knife, Marker Light

12X Fire Warriors
Bonding Knife, Marker Light

15X Kroot

3X Sniper Drone Squads

1 Rail Head
Disruption Pod, Flechette Discharger, Target Lock, Multi Tracker, SMS

3X Broadside
BASS, Bonding Knife, 2X Shield Drones, Leader with Target Lock, Blacksun filter

Unfortunately it is impossible to proxy a weird tank like a devilfish so I lacked mobility in this list so I went for a static gun line style army. I had never played with the sniper drone teams and I was hoping that they would help me take out some of those pesky space marines, or heavily armoured Tyranids. Plus the marker light hits would be rather nice as well. Marker Lights are something that up until now i have really not played with but I knew that against these two guys ther would come a time when missing was not an option, and then I had to hope the markerlights would be able to make the difference for me and allow my boys to be able to do what they do best. The stealth suits are also inanely expensive but I felt that they would be able to dish out the pain to some a select target, and hope that their stealth fields would protect them from long range nastiness. The Helios Pattern suits I was really Excited to play because whoever buillt my aunts kitchen floor did a good job and it was rather smooth meaning the marines and terminators really had nowhere to hide. Without cover saves for the marines I had high expectations for this list. I felt it had a good balance of volume to deal with the nids, and a good amount of quality to deal with big fat fatties.

So on to my opponents lists

Kharn the Betrayer (Or Khorne if you asked my cousin, I really didn't want to fight against a chaos god)

Commander on Bike
Mark Of Khorne, Daemon weapon, Plasma Pistol

8X Chaos Terminators
Lightning Claws, Mark Of Khorne

1X Land Raider
Las Cannons, Heavy Bolter, and all the trimmings

20X Khorne Berzerkers

10X Chaos Space Marines
Mounted in Rhino

12X Chaos Space Marines

3X Bikers

Now here's where the army starts to get dicey my cousin while told to use one edition of the rules decided that he would mix and match. Considering that the game started at like midnight we just sort of let it slide so you may raise some eyebrows at some questionable additions to the army list and they are totally warranted. Also during play this will happen to but we were out there to have fun and not worry a whole heck of a lot about rules. Although if I messed up in my play that's something else lol.

I also must apologize for not being able to name the weapons as really Tyranid names have always eluded me. Heck I have notes in my codex telling me the difference between wargear items. Too many targetting pieces of gear lol.

Hive Tyrant
Winged, Barbed Strangler

Hive Tyrant
Able to deep strike somehow, Barbed Strangler

3X Warriors
Winged, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon, Flesh Borer, Somehow they didn't have synapse to make them core?

3X Warriors
Winged, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon, Flesh Borer, Somehow they didn't have synapse to make them core?

The Red Terror
I think he was a special character from last edition.

20X Gaunts
+1 Ws, +1 I, and some wimpy gun but they could come back when killed

20X Gaunts

20X Gaunts

12X Genestealers

5X Raveners

1X Biovore Launcher

1X Zoanthrope

2X Carnifex

So The way we did deployment to make it fair was we had the space marines in the top left corner, and the Tyranids in the op right corner while I got the middle of the bottom table edge. Otherwise it was like dawn of war, and we had 3 objectives, one was right by the tyranids deployment zone on a hill, One was in the middle of the battlefield, and one was on the left edge of the battle field a little closer to my side. As I said in the op right corner was a hill, and I had a forest in the bottom left part of my deployment zone. We decided to allow the Raveners to just be able to deep strike anywhere.

Oh and so the rules are known you cannot shoot into combat even if you aren't a part of it, and combats were fought only if it was one of the participants turns.

Set up:
The Tyranid player decides to put nothing on the board. I put down Kroot 2" in my forest, and the Fire Knife team (Fire team from now on) behind the woods. The space marines player puts out his 20 berzerkers, and his 12 space marines with his 12 space marines closer to me and the 20 zerkers closer to the tyranid player.

Tyranid turn 1:
He brings on his 2 carnifex and moves them up to get behind the hill, he brings on his 2 units of warriors which stick together for the rest of the game and they move towards the hill, he leaves a zoanthrope and biovore launcher in the corner. He can't see anything so the turn passes.

My Turn 1:
I bring on 2 sniper teams one on the left side of the forest the other on my right flank. I brought on a fire warrior team to the middle of my deployment zone. My Hammer Head come in on my extreme right flank. the Hammer Head can see the warriors and lets off his pie plate causing a wound. My Kroot took pot shots at the Chaos space marines but failed to do any damage.

Chaos Space Marines turn 1:
In true Khornite style Everything comes out at once so that they can get skulls quicker. The Bikers the 10 man squad in rhino, and the 12 man tac squad come my way. The land raider Holding the terminators and Kharn and the 20 man berzerkers all head off to kill some bugs. The two brothers have a grudge against each other I guess.

Tyranid turn 2:
The red Terror comes on and moves towards the land raider. His Winged tyrant comes on and heads towards my deployment zone. 20 of his gaunts come towards my zone from his corner. His raveners end up deep Striking right in front of my fire warriors. The carnifex, biovore launcher, and warriors unload on the berzerkers to minmal effect. The Hive Tyrant shoots up the fire warriors killing 2.

My turn 2:
A stealth suit team comes in the middle, a sniper drone team comes in the middle, my bass come in on the right flank. The fire warriors unload on the raveners as do the stealth suits, SMS of the broadside, and the one sniper drone team that can really see it. I drop the team down to 3 which should have been 2 as he said they had 3 wounds, but the loss of one fire warrior unit so that another round of focused fire can finish those guys off I thought was well worth it. the broadsides unload on the winged tyrant causing 2 wounds, and the pie plate hits the gaunts coming at me and kill 5. The Fire team shot at the approaching space marine squad along with the kroot and sniper drone team on the left killing 4.

Chaos space marine turn 2:
He continues to move towards me and the tyranid player shooting down the biovore launcher with his land raider. His former 12 man tac squad is just outside of the kroot forest trying to figure out where exactly all that rifle fire is coming from while his tank sits on the left flanks objective, and his bikers look like they are going to be able to charge his next turn.

Tyranid turn 3:
The red Terror moves towards the Chaos Marines. His two remaining gaunt units come on and go out towards the space marine threat coming along the top edge of the board. His other Hive Tyrant decides not to deep strike but slowly starts a long walk I intend to cut short towards my deployment zone. More shots are fired into the berzerkers by the carnifex and warriors killing yet more. His Hive tyrant tries to shoot at my tank but the strength isn't there to cause a glancing hit on the front armour. His raveners destroy the Fire warriors as expected and the raveners move into the centre of my deployment zone. His gaunts wipe out my right flank sniper drone team.

My turn 3:
So I have marines to my left bugs to my right, and here I am stuck in the middle again. I got lucky and ll my units decided they wanted to wake up from their nap so that their buddies wouldn't die.The helios team comes in on the left flank to shoot at the tac marines, the stealth suit squad comes on the right so it can shoot at the raveners or the gaunts if the raveners are dead, and the fire warriors come into the centre to shoot up the raveners. The raveners, and the tactical space marine squad in front of the woods are totally wiped out. The Biker squad is reduced to the commander who has a single wound left and the gaunts are reduced to six models, and the Winged Hive Tyrant drops a wound. My stealth suits charged into the gaunts killing them. This was the turn I needed to roll well on and without all the marker lights I wouldn't have been able to get it all off. I jumped my suits so that they were not in charge range of the tyrant, gaunts or space marine biker captain.

Chaos space Marine turn 3:
After some slight angry curses about stupid tau battle suits a deal was made that if the biker captain buggered out he would not be killed in the ensuing shooting phase. His Biker Captain turns off to fight against some bugs. However he may have card for his biker captain but he definitely was ready to throw away the lives of his tac squad in the rhino. He runs up his tank to the edge of the forest, and deploys his space marines into it. Now my kroot are able to be seen and have no cover save. After shooting 5 are left standing. The berzerkers charge into the gaunts. The terminators charge into the red terror. Kharn stays at home sipping tea in his land raider. The Red Terror suffers a wound and eats two terminators. The Berzerkers suffer heavy wounds but kill more then they lost so won. However the red terror made the gaunts unbreakable.

Tyranid Turn 4:
His Genestealers fail to come on again. (He was so angry at this point we let him re roll the dice and it came up a 1 again so we all had a good laugh at the ridiculousness of it). His lone hive tyrant continues march down onto my right flank and fires at the berzerker squad. I really for the life of me can't remember what he did in this shooting phase other then since all my army had crumpled back to my centre to avoid charges it meant that his blast template would hit a lot of stuff no matter what so he took out 6 of my fire warriors. His remaining gaunts charged into combat, 1 terminator, and wound on Red Eye and some dead gaunts left the battle again in a stalemate. His hive Winged hive tyrant was now ready to charge anything he wanted... It had only taken him forever to get here cause he took a really long route. However he contented himself to sit out in the open. which led to...

My Turn 4:
I killed the hive tyrant. spread out my forces lining up shots on the warrior brood, and moving my Helios and Fire teams to see if they could work their magic on the warriors in the woods again. The Kroot started to book it towards an objective, and praying they would get out of any assault from the marines. The Fire warriors who had obviously neglected their wind sprints ran 2" closer to an objective that now looked to be about 20 miles away. Fire was less succesful this turn but I did drop the tac squad in the woods down to a more reasonable number, and I did enough damage to put a wound on every one of the warriors.

Chaos Turn 4:
Yet again my cousin learns to fear the little blue dudes shooting, and he runs into the forest so that only my kroot can see them through the 2" of woods so that no one can see them to shoot them. His tank tank shocks my Kroot which fail their leadership, and I show my cousin the little trick I learned a couple games agao to just leave his tank within 6" and the kroot end up being written off. Kharn annoyed at the fact that his land raider has stopped gets out and runs in to kill the red terror and gaunts. The Bike Commander also does the same thing. The Land Raider kills the Zoanthrope giving synapse to his gaunts. His Red Terror kills another terminator but in return is finally killed. Kharn kills stuff, his biker lords daemon sword kills the biker lord instead of the gaunts, and the marines finally manage to break and kill one unit, and break and rally block the other unit.

Tyranid turn 5:
the gaunt unit runs off the board but since he is so close to the board they die. The 2 units of dead gaunts come back and one is close enough to charge into the terminators. One Carnifex goes into the terminators, and the second carnifex charges into the berzerkers. The Genestealers finally come in but after 2 bad attempts at deepstriking as yet again we let him reroll his failed attempt I got to put them wherever I wanted. So I made them do ring around the rosie around his hive Tyrant so he wouldn't be able to walk anywhere. The Terminators though are brought down to 2 models, and the Carnifex kills one marine and the turn passes.

My Turn 5:
I have to hope for a turn 6 to get my fire warriors close enough to an objective so I keep on running I try to kill the rhino but all I do is make it an immobilized weaponless hull. I killed the warrior Brood and sniped the land raider with my broadsides. My chance to win is all up to the dice gods now

Marines turn 5:
Tac marines sit in woods, and Kharn helps kill some gaunts but not much is done in combat as the Carnifexes won't run and it's really just too hard for the marines today.

And that's the end of the battle. The result is a draw as no one had an uncontested objective. Adding yet again to my incredibly long lists of draws.

Some important points I took home from this game was that a gun line works. I've been crying and moaning about not having a devilfish it would have won me a game if I had had one here or there but the fact of the matter static tau lets out tons of shots, If coordinated right you can kill a whole heck of a lot. I know I got lucky and really almost none of my army got touched so my shooting was at full capacity but it really was all a matter of planning. Had I thought out my plan better I could have sacrificed a stealth suit team rather then my forward fire warrior team as they might have been able to contest an objective or claim it. Getting into tau it's a little intimidating when you look at other people's armies. They all have very big strong points whereas ours might not be as noticeable or easy to take advantage of so when I go in I go in with the mindset of let's live through it and put up a good fight, and if it looks like I can win let's go for it. That logic is fundamentally flawed. I should play to win and if I do that I will put up a good fight, and if I lose my dudes who cares they're little bits of painted plastic. It's a mindset I have to overcome for games like chess I'll try to win pieces rather then the game, and it's cost me more games then I can count. It does work sometimes too though.

Helios pattern suits are nuts if you get within the 12" range they were really useful for me if they were Fireknives I think I'd have been in deep trouble. I needed to totally take out that unit really which was why I gave those suits a lot of support. Marker lights came in extremely useful, when I needed something done it got done I was really impressed with the strength of the massed fire we can output.The stealth drone teams were nice to have but I wasn't super sold on them I think another tank would have been nicer and a little bit cheaper. Broadsides if left unharassed just eat up big monsters.

I should be making a purchase of the original tau army deal pretty cheap from a fellow at my local store who bought it and never used it so my army should soon start seeing a distinct point increase from the 1000 point level.

Anyways thanks for reading any critiques on my play is welcome.

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Oct 15 2009 11:45

Hey, nice couple of battle reports (although I don't have much time so I just read the second one). Everything I'm seeing is making me more and more convinced that I might need to pick up a couple Broadsides. :? Anyways I'm gald to see another player using those wonderful SDTs and I hope to see more batreps (and army pics!) in the future!

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Nov 11 2009 12:21

Tau Vs. Grey Knights

So I've made good progress on repainting all my models to a higher standard and I'm really excited about the results and when I get a chance I'll post some pictures of the progress I've made. After a somewhat longer hiatus then I would like I grabbed my tau that have mostly all a shiny new paint job and headed out to pit them against whoever would accept my challenge. I mean my army almost looked the part of a legitimate fighting force maybe I could pull off looking like an almost legitimate general.

So my force was about the same

2 fire knife El's at BS 5
6 stealths Bonded
10 bonded fire warriors
15 Kroot
2 BASS Bonded 2 shield drones and leader with targeting array
1 Rail Head

My Opponent Jen borrowed I think her boyfriends army. She's drawn every game or lost it too and is rather newer to the game so I was thinking this could be a good learning experience for the both of us.

2 units of 5 grey knights
1 Grey knight commander in terminator armour
2 Transports I( I guess they were the guard's transport that the knights "stole")
2 units of 10 guard with rocket launcher
1 small command team of 6 guard
1 drop podding juggernaut

The table is set up with a big hilly forest in the top left corner. In the middle is a slight hill with some tree lines which couldn't give full cover but made some nice firing lanes. And finally a hill in my bottom right corner again forested. Finally I get a game with a lot of forest my inner kroot is happy. She get's to go first which makes me happy I want to see what she's going to do and where to be. Thinking about what I would do if someone stole initiative from me if they rolled a 6 just doesn't seem wort it to me. I want the happy surprise of oh by the way I go first now. We get spearhead (Finally not Dawn of War!), and we each get an objective. She throws hers behind her hill, and throws her two transports and grey knights next to the corners of the hill one on the left board edge and one in the middle but further back, the one on the right had the commander. It's a little further back then the centre of the table and the rhino on the left of the battlefield is actually right next to the board edge. Her guard deploy behind the hill to keep the objective.

In response I hold my Kroot in reserve I hope they come in on turn 2 or 3 on the left flank to tear through the guard and snag my opponents objective. If I come in on the other side the trek is long but I do have some forests in the centre to make the kroot more survivable and so should still have an impact. The Stealth suits were held in reserve to deep strike and attack the guard when they moved to a weaker position. My objective was in the open in the middle of the board really close to my board edge. My Fire Warriors grabbed my big hill in the bottom right corner having a good over watch position to deal with anything that was going after my objective, but close enough to head over there in a jiffy to hold my objective. My Commanders Hid behind the fire warriors, my broadsides brazenly stood in the open thinking that nothing that can hurt them will be in range first turn but they'd be set up so they would have quality shots on anything that wasn't behind the other hill. My Hammer head babysat the objective, if it was going to be immobilized by something it would at least contest the objective I thought.

I was going to hopefully blow away the rhino's first turn and make the knights foot slog getting them away and leaving the guard unprotected, and I would take a turn of the I thought auto cannnon dreadnought for one turn and then just blow it away with railguns in the turn after. I mean drop pods work like deep strikers right? lol

So I roll my lucky dice (See I am getting to be a better general I new to chose the right dice), and I steal initiative. At this point I know I have a huge advantage and I'm ready to press my advantage.

My Turn: 1
Commanders jump out of cover. Broadsides blow a hole in the far left forcing the grey knights to end up behind it because of the hill and board edge making behind the hill very cramped. My hammer head fire warriors and commander shot at the other rhino managing to stun shake and immobilize it. All told I was very happy with the results.

Her Turn 1:
Now I'm really happy I got the momentum the rhino's are dealt with the dreadnought's coming in maybe next turn... or nope wait it comes in right next to my hammerhead. Oh well that's fine it can't assault and it has an autocannon. Err nope I was wrong make that a multimelta. Well maybe this games not in the bag yet as not much can be seen of my hammer head anymore.She moves up some of her right guard and her right grey knights leaving her grey knights on the left to protect her objective. Since I didn't allow my opponent to move I've made her turtle and now I'm going to have to root her out, and without the help of my hammerhead which was a really mobile piece I was going to depend on a lot.

My Turn 2:
Everything comes in... This is not how I wanted the battle to go but I had a back up plan and I stuck with it. The Stealths deep stiked into the middle of the field hoping to be able o move into the woods later and tear apart the pesky guard units siting on the objective later adn to shoot up the right guard unit. My Kroot flank attacked on the middle right and booked it for the trees in the middle hoping to draw the grey knights into a shooting match. I do use booked it lightly as for he most part they ran 1 or 2 inches. My shooting manages to immobilize the dreadnought who is now out of range of anything and the stealth suits killed 7 guard. My commanders started moving up the middle and right flank making sure they were out of range of the big shooters.

Her Turn 2:
Her 3 guard go to move back to the corner, her grey knights on the left move onto the hill, and the ones on the right move up the middle to shoot at the stealth suit.3 stealth suits drop, and the drop pod causes a wound on the commander in the middle. The Stealth suits fall back right next to the drop prod... on second though it would have been more to send those guys so they wouldn't automatically fail if they routed... She drops 3 kroot as they took cover in the woods :D

My Turn 3:
My stealth suits stop just shy of the board edge, The kroot move into the cover of the woods. My Commanders move up past the wood line. The fire warriors start climbing down from their hill to make it to my objective. My broadsides smoked the dreadnought, and the stealth suits shot the drop pod. Coincidentally the stealth suits can't hurt the drop pod... Commanders failed to kill a soul and the Kroot ran into the trees and took cover.

Her Turn 3:
She moves up both grey knight units to the middle and unloads on the kroot killing three. Everyone else stands around.

My Turn 4:
My commanders and kroot destroy the grey knight commanders regiment which was good cause they weer going to assault next turn. My Broadsides deal with the drop pod which is contesting my objective. My Fire warriors take my objective, and the stealth suits run off the table. I start moving my commanders up to the middle hoping to contest the objective soon.

Her Turn 4:
Her Grey knight squad moves towards my commander in the middle and unloads but fails to wound. The guard now shoot my commander on the flank and cause a single wound.

My Turn 5: The kroot run towards the objective my fire warriors middle commander and broadsides wipe the other grey knight unit from the board, and the outisde commander destroys 3 remaining guards from the on eunit that was shot up before. The kroot ar at the base of the hill now.

Her turn 5: She shot and killed my outside commander.

My Turn 6 when I needed one!
My kroot move up and shoot the guard on the objective my outside commander finishes off the command team and my other commander jumps in to contest the objective. The guards passed their morale check which meat she had a chance to draw still.

Her Turn 6:
She fails to kill my commander

It goes to a turn 7 and I wipe her totally off the board. A resounding success for the tau.

To be honest this battle was fun but I think my opponent held back too much. She had no way to win against me if her dreadnought and drop pod died when I had dealt with the rhinos. I did steal the initiative but she sat back a lot letting my broadsides pick target's at their leisure. I mean against a rhino's side armour of 10 you always penetrate and 50% of the time on penetrating you kill it just shows why railguns are so deadly. With the BASS to change the firing angle a bit they were effective the whole game wand were left unmolested I like to think because of the shield drones they had. Things didn't go my number one plan but I made sure to think about what I would do and my plan never fundamentally changed.

The one play I made that I thought was bad at the time but I think it won me the game was my deep strike in the middle of the field with the stealth suits. Just because I needed to bring my guns to bear where I wanted to fight which was in the middle by the trees the stealth suits presented too good of an opportunity for easy points, and too much of a potential threat if left unmolested. So she had to come out of her hiding hole which led to me being able to shoot the grey knights which is what I really was worried about. A lot of dice rolls went my way this game and I got lucky but at least now I've shrugged the drawing monkey off my back and won a game.

Now apparently there's a league starting up that they want to do where it's an escalation league and you get bonuses for painting your new models and you start off at 1500 points. Looks like I need to go and buy some new models. I think the first things I will get are some new suits I seem a little light, and maybe a devil fish and some pathfinders to get some marker light support, oh and maybe more kroot to fill out those last 500 points. There are some unit restrictions though and I am hoping to buy an old starter box off of someone who wants to get rid of it so my list should start growing and changing rather soon.
Last edited by Draaen on Nov 11 2009 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Nov 11 2009 12:23

Militant.Jester wrote:Hey, nice couple of battle reports (although I don't have much time so I just read the second one). Everything I'm seeing is making me more and more convinced that I might need to pick up a couple Broadsides. :? Anyways I'm gald to see another player using those wonderful SDTs and I hope to see more batreps (and army pics!) in the future!

I'll post some army pics up soon I have to show off my dudes shiny new armour, although I hate to think about whether the one Kroot my girlfriened wants to paint will be hot pink with purple polka dots or purple with hot pink polka dots. I'm not all too sure what is worse.

O'M'yen'Suam
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Nov 11 2009 05:46

Grey knight commander in power armour? Was it an inquisitor because I'm fairly certain that actual Grey knight HQs (Brother captain & Grand master) all come with terminator armour.
Submission is not defeat, submission is victory!!

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Nov 11 2009 09:50

oops I went and changed it. Yeah he was in Terminator armour. Although considering the first two wounds he failed o make an armour save and died I think he might have been better off without it lol.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Feb 19 2010 10:55

With work always scheduling me on a lot of warhammer days I haven't been able to make it out too much but I have been painting and I have a new battle report. I went out and picked up a battle force box.... Well I was going to but the store was sold out so I got all the boxes off the shelves with the crisis suit changed to a commander as a regular crisis suit was absent as well all for 95 bucks. Which was a rather nice deal. Either way it means I finallly have been able to play bigger games and at smaller games I can play more diverse armies.

So the overdue show of my army. Hopefully I don't mess up posting the pics.

Edit: I'm trying to fix the pics I messed em up :? Got em

This guy was a lot of fun to paint and he's been a fun unit to just be irritating with.

My I have the old stealth suits and have converted over some marker drones.

My Fire Warriors

My Crisis suit

Hammer Head

And the trusty Kroot

And last but certainly not least the daemon prince I converted for my girlfriend
I'm not sure whether e's my favourite conversion ever but he's #1 or #2. The thought of him tearing up people's armies makes me smile.

Right now I'm currently working on my two broadsides and thankfully when I'm done with them I'm pretty much finished repainting old models and so the jobs will look better and be easier.

Anyways on to why I made this thread helping out people so they can learn from my stupid mistakes and lucky right decisions.

I ran into a new orc player and we decided to get a quick game in before doing a multiplayer one later so we went back down to 1000 points. However it was nice now because I could make my army more interessting and we both knew what opponent we were going to be playing against so we could tailor our armies somewhat. My List consisted of

1 Fireknife El
6 x Stealth suit
12 x fire warriors
1 Warfish
1 Railhead
1 Pulse Piranha
20x Kroot with 10 x hounds.

His Army consisted of

2 units of 30 boys with a wierdboy in one and a mekboy in another
5 tankbusta's
3 nob bikers one was a pain boy anotehr had a klaw
one looted wagon.

The board was set up with some cover on the left flank, a factory, and a hill with some bushes in his back zone. In mine I had a bunker in my backzone on my left flank in the middle a big ruin and on the right of that ruin a small forest. His objective was in the factory, mine was in the open between the ruins and bunker.

The mission is the one where we both get objectives. We played dawn of war, and as I was writing this I realized we did it wrong. We played it just as table halves and had to be 18" away. I took first turn and therefore a distinctly unfair advantage. Since I went first my devilfish deployed in the middle of the board on my left flank. My Stealth to the middle on my right with my hammerhead being further back on my left flank and my crisis commander hiding behind the ruins. My Piranha was behind the bunker. The Devilfish and stealth suits forced him to deploy far far back. His tank bustas toook up shop in the factory. His Wierd Boy and 30 boys called the cover on the left flank home with some nob bikers next to them so that the bikers were hugging the board edge. The mekboy and his 30 boyz were hugging the opposite flank using the hill as cover, and his looted wagon was in between the factory and next to the boys so that he got the cover save. He fails to sieze initiative.

My Turn 1: My warfish moves back so that he can be nearer the objective and further away from the nasties the commmander jumps out to draw a bead on the looted wagon and my stealth suits take position to shoot at the tankbusta's, the pirhana also joined in on the party. Everyone unloaded on the tankbusta's wiping them down to 1. The railhead Fired it's submunitions at the wierd boyz group and dropped a couple of orcs. My Suits jump back for cover.

His Turn 1: He runs his bikers up the wing his mekboyz and looted wagon make a cautious advance, and the wierd boyz unit shuffles a bit while in cover. His shooting this turn is totally ineffective thanks to some lucky disruption pod rolls.

My Turn 2: My Kroot come in so that's pretty good. They outflank onto the right flank where they promptly charge into the boyz that are there. My Piranha moves into the centre to finish off the tankbustas and hopefully give cover saves downfield. The bikeers seem pretty close so I let my fire warriors out of their fish the hammerhead shuffles one way 6" out of charge range and I move the stealth suits up the right flank to soften up the 30 boys. My Commander jumps out from behind the ruins to blast the looted wagon. Where he promptly misses with everything. Some boys drop to the stealth, I get a wound on the bikers and the tankbusta's made their cover saves. My Kroot run in and kill a lot of boys but stay locked n combat clearly having the upper hand with only losing the hounds.

His turn 2 his bikers move so there's no way I can avoid them next turn and his boys still shoot to no avail. His Looted wagon shot scatters away from my stealth suits. His Boys in combat die to the kroot but his mek boy runs away just away from the board edge My Kroot consolidate towards the looted wagon.

My Turn 3: Kroot move into looted wagon, The Prihana flies up to the wierd boys regiment hoping to give it a tempting assaultable target. One that has a mean surprise in the form of flechette dischargers :crafty: . The hammerhead continues it's shuffle. The Stealth suits start to move over to the left flank through the middle. I cause 2 wounds on the nob bikers from shooting which naturally means i haven't killed a single one. The kroot imobilize and destroy all the weapons on the looted wagon.

His turn 3: the hammerhead gets assaulted the wierdboy deepstrikes his boys behind my objective, newly rallied mekboy charges into my kroot. His wierdboy regiment does a number on the fire warrior regiment dropping 5 but they hold. The Hammerhead is now immobilized and has lost it's railgun. The mekboy dies which I think is fitting as I don't think he was allowed to charge that turn. My kroot consolidate towards the enemies objective. His Tank busta also managed to immobilize my devilfish.

At this point the game was pretty much said and done I had one objective with my kroot in the backfield and in my shooting phase I managed to bring the bikers down to the powerklaw. Also since I ran and hid my fire warriors in the devilfish the orcs had to charge to destroy it. Naturally it had flechette dischargers and caused some mayhem before being destroyed, and then it was just a matter of taking out 30 orcs with a piranha stealth suit unit and commander and contesting the objective. So another win for the glorious tau empire.

The things I took away from this game was that I like Kroot Bombs. They were more then ridiculously effective and without their efficient execution of their role I would have lost this game. Thankfully I can feel pretty confident that 90 attacks are going to hurt something. I've done the math and they will beat 10 man strong necron, or space marine tactical squads, and if you're lucky enough to have a woods nearby they can just run to it afterwards and then demand a disproportionate amount of fire power to kill.

The fast movement of the pirhana was really nice the extra front armour made it more durable and if you have good foresight it can contest 2 objectives with the drones, or it can sit on an objective and force the enemy to totally circle it or risk the drones being objective contesters when the piranha dies, which was going to be my end game gamble if I was not able to kill enough orks fast enough.

Stealth suits felt lack luster for me, and I love my war fish.

The next team game we played I felt we were in control of it even though it didn't get finished so at least I'm improving my record : :biggrin:

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(15/03/10)

Post#16 » Mar 15 2010 11:45

So at my local gaming store there is a tournament series that goes on all year round, and the winners of the tournaments play in a champions tournament in december. So my goal is to win one of these tournaments so I can play in the champion tournament. To do so though I needed to get my feet wet so I grabbed my beefed up Tau Force and stretched it to 1850 points with the hopes of learning where I need to go to be more competitive... and maybe win best sportsman :D.

So here's the list.

1X FK el
2X FK Bodyguard with BS 4
2X gun drones

6X Stealth suits

3 X Stealth Suits, FB, ML, Leader has +1 BS
2 X Marker Drone

12 X FW, Bonded

12X FW, Bonded

20 X Kroot, 1 is a shaper
10 X Kroot Hounds

10 X Kroot

4 X Pathfinders
1 X Warfish

1 X FB Pirhana

2 X BASS,
2 X Shield Drones

1 X Rail Head

My First game was kill points pitched battle set up against a nid player. He was packing a winged Tyrant with 2 bodyguard, 2 Mawlocs, 1 Tervigon, 3 Warriors, 20 Gargoyles, 5 genestealers, 3 Zoanthropes, 20 Termigants, 1 Venomthrope.

He got to go first and he hid his 2 Mawlocs behind a giant ruin on the back left flank, and in the centre to right flank he deployed all the rest of his army except for his genestealers whom he was going to have infiltrate later.

I held my big unit of kroot and stealth suits in reserve, and deployed the rest of my army in the cover of the trees that were unfortunately directly opposite the nids. My Pathfinders and Kroot ast on the flank by some ruins.

He infiltrated his stealers within 12" of my Pirhana as the cover was blosking line of sight to that pirhana.

His first turn is uneventful as the army moves up the centre his shooting is ineffective the mawlocs burrow. His stealers did manage to imobilize, and remove the weapon on the pirhana though. He gave his gargoyles FNP.

In my turn I ran my pathfinders away from the stealers, and unloaded the rest of my shots onto the gargoyles, This dropped them down to about 6, I did try to take out the zoanthropes with my broadsides but bad rolling on my part put an end to that.

His second turn his Mawlocs bust into my army doing little initial damage, and his gargoyles fail to charge my in cover fire warriors. However the genestealers take out my pathfinders who apparently did not move far enough away. His shooting destroyed my devilfish which was planning on running away the next turn...

None of my reserves come in on my turn. I shoot a lot at the Mawlocs genestealers and garoyles. With all my army shooting I cause 3 wounds on the mawloc killed 3 genestealers, oh and a handful of termagants died to the kroot who were hiding in the woods.

He then come in though kills my command squad with his mawlocs, one unit of fire warriors with the gargoyles, and his winged hive tyrant jumps out and smacks the other fire warrior unit. The termagants charged and killed the kroot in the woods.

On my turn both my reinforcements come in where I want them to but it is too little too late. In the end I only could end up killing the unit of genestealers. My opponent was apologizing when he saw how many 1's I was rolling. The only thing I could do was laugh at the bad rolling and in hindsight now bad game plan I had. I got 0 mission points yet full sportsmanship points.

The thing I realize now with this game was that I lost it in deployment. I deployed as though he would shoot. What the heck is he going to shoot me with? Why did I deploy directly opposite to him? Part of it is my chaos warrior roots saying play the match ups and win like that. But if I had deployed in the corner a lot less of his army would have been able to get to me in time to be effective, and I could easily have reached out and touched him and made use of my 30" plasma range.

My second game was no better against a dark angels player. He had 4 5 man tac squads in 2 rhino's 2 ven dreads, and a raider with a bunch of terminators, and a predator kitted out with lascannons, and 3 outflanking bikers.

We played deploying 6" back from the middle and it was objectives with 3 of them being on the right side and 2 on the left and one in the back middle of my deployment zone. He got to go first and started off with two tac squads sitting in cover in the back of his deployment. He then threw a dread and tac marine squad on either flank with a land raider going heavy on my right flank. His Predator was in the back on the right flank.

I deployed all my kroot in a mass in the centre with my firewarriors tank SMT a foot squad of firewarrios on my right flank taking cover from the pirhana who was going to try to blast any vehicle who moved too close. My pathfinders and BASS went on the left side next to the kroot. and the stealth squad started in an objective on the left flank. My Mounted FW squad started on the left flank as well.

First turn he runs everything straight forward at me and not much else of consequence happens. And he pops smoke.

My first turn I jump my stealth suits behind the ven Dread, fly my pirhana next to the land raider to blow it sky high and the big unit of kroot start moving away from the dread, the SMT jumps in front of the rhino to stall it and hopefully kill it with their fusion blaster. The Stealth suits fail to do anything to the dread, i wasted my markerlights on removing cover from the lad raider for my broadsides, but i did manage to destroy the rhino on the right, immobilize the land raider, and remove the melta gun off of the dread on my right. The Mounted FW ran up the flank.

Well everything moved faster then I had expected the Space marines caugt the stealth suits the marines charged the SMT as predicted, but unfortunately the Ven Dread on the right managed to touch the kroot. As there seems to be no end to my bad luck the bikes come in and on the perfect side with just enough distance to engage my broadsides, his terminators had just enough room to double charge the pirhana and pathfinders, and in short the game then became a rout. as I could only contest objectives with full troops apparently. Again though i got full points for sportsmanship but 0 for mission points.

So I talked about the game with my opponent and again he mentioned he was surprised I didn't deploy in a corner and hide and shoot. I pointed out that he ahd two objectives held at the start and I would need to grab objectives at some point too rather then hide and I didn't realize that dark angels smoke launchers work different then apparently everybody else's. I did do some silly things though with my deployment and next time I'm going to make the other guy move left to right not north and south.

At this point I'm hoping for a better game, to play on some of the really nice tables they had set up and maybe win best sportsman. I got a bye and waited around for the prozes to be handed out, and I didn't get best sportsman, but I did go around and watch the other games being played and talked to some other tau players about strategies and hockey.

I think when I finally can customize my army i will drop the stealth suits, and the big kroot bomb. The kroot bomb would be awesome if it would be guaranteed to actually come in at some point in the game. If my games might only go 3 turns they might not come in at all. So I'm going to break them up. I plan on adding more devilfish fitting out another hammer or broadsides and adding some fire knives as well as beefing up my current Pathfinders or making 2 units of four. I feel now that the typical tau style of fall back and wear em down isn't the best way to go in a 3-4 game tourny setting. Instead I should build my army around being explosive the first 2-3 turns and hope that if it goes further then that I can hold onto my lead.

My brother bought me a couple forge world suits so I'm eagerly awaiting them and my magnets in the mail. I found out where I stood compared to other players in this tournament and I know what I need to work on and I have some stuff to try out, and I made some contacts with people who would want to get some games in with me so hopefully that means I get some more practice in :D.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(15/03/10 first Tourny)

Post#17 » Apr 10 2010 07:55

Well I've been managing to accumulate more of a force, and get some more games under my belt. I've learned what works for me and what doesn't. I looked at my last bunch of games and figured well what's wrong with my list? too many silly upgrades and not enough boys to do the job against tanks and monsters. So I went out and picked myself up some more crisis suits and a piranha for some fun.The 3 crisis suits got converted into hoplites with spears and shields and everything. I'l post some pictures of these guys but I'm really proud of them. What I did was remove the stealth marker team. It's fun and t did stuff but in the end I was losing by a lot and I needed a change to find a groove that worked for me and these guys were the unlucky ones to get the axe. I'm also really considering removing the stealth suits with something else. I mean they've been put in every single type of position from really bad ones to about what I can see as the best positions, and you know what they've never earned their points back. I'm not a fan of the earn your points back analysis for an army wide analysis, but for a unit I use as harassers and opportunists? As soon as I get something else they will be getting the axe to. At least for a bit till I can bring them back into a list that is doing well for me to see if it can't breathe new life into them for me as they are cool.

I'll throw a quick summary of my last two games.

Imperial guard.
Well here I thought I was winning until I realized that an outflanking platoon is much more then just one unit of guardsmen. This was the first time I ran one of the hoplites and they got tank shocked off the board second turn and then the supporting kroot got fried losing my right flank, and while I did a number on all his tanks and dudes afterwards I couldn't stop the bleeding and lost. Although the game was very close.

Eldar
Another loss he had too much luck with his rolls and I too little with mine while having too little to shoot down his tanks and his wraithlords. Which the wraith lords were really really cool :D. Anyways I split up my kroot into 3 ten man squads with 5 kroot hounds in two of those squads. I outflanked them and he hid away from the board edge.

Lastly today I played against today. It was a really good and fun game and for the first time ever today I felt that I dictated the battle for the most part and really had some bite to my list. finally made a lot of my modifications including having 2 piranha's, and I had all 3 of my hoplites which I was really happy with. I've also decided to hand out 3 stars for my games now and one dunce cap. It should help keep me focused on what is going well and what I need to look at to fix.

So the Orcs...
I destroyed his regular biker squad but failed to destroy the trukk first turn. I did get two killa kahns which I was paranoid about hitting my darn kroot. The kroot actually went in their three man squads adding in a krootox for some flavour. The two other squads deployed reactively by infiltrating so even though I went first I got to see where I needed to throw my key dudes to keep them relevant and safe. What gave me hard time this game was really lucky rolls on his nobz just soaking up markelight assisted fire on cybork bodies like no ones business. The stealth suits helped out by taking out some bikers but in the end he rolled really good at moving through cover, really good for waaghs, and his trukk managed to get into my kroots face and make them run away. I freaking hate it when people tank shock my kroot... anyways game ended up a win for him but I was incredibly happy with the result. I found out how ridiculous 8 pathfinders going unmolested for an entire game can be... I mean it's nuts. I may write a more detailed battle report tomorrow but right now hockey is on. Go sens! I'll also post some picks of the hoplites.

Firestorm
Shas

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(15/03/10 first Tourny)

Post#18 » Apr 11 2010 09:02

Great Battle reports man. And nice minis too. I agree, the Pikachu Gundam would be great comic relief in and actuall game, easily a great conversion for the sake of the 40k community.

Return to “Archival Datacore”