[Kiten's Cadre] Fire Record - 75T2 vs Eldar

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Kiten
Shas

[Kiten's Cadre] Fire Record - 75T2 vs Eldar

Post#1 » Sep 19 2010 12:28

75T2: Operation Pliers Battle 4 – VS Eldar

Likely to be the last game I get to play with my gaming group for a good while, the 6th game to be played with the 75T2 list was held against an Eldar Craftworld which resembled Saimm-Hann. The closest to the Fast Moving Assault armies I could hope to face within such group, I looked forward to this game as an interesting change of pace.
A quick rundown of the list:

Commander Shadowsun

XV8 Crisis Mesme Team: 2 Fireknife
XV8 Crisis Mesme Team: 2 Fireknife
XV8 Crisis Mesme Team: 1 Deathrain, 1 Shas’Vre with AFP

Fire Warrior Team: 9 Fire Warriors
Fire Warrior Team: 6 Fire Warriors with Pulse Carbines on a Dumbfish with Sensor Spines
Kroot Carnivores Kindred: 10 Kroot and 5 Kroot Hounds
Kroot Carnivores Kindred: 10 Kroot and 5 Kroot Hounds

Pathfinder Team: 6 Pathfinders on a Warfish

Sky Ray Defence Gunship, Warray with Blacksun Filter
XV88 Broadside Battlesuit: 2 ASS suits, one team leader with Bonding Knife and 2 Shield Drones
XV88 Broadside Battlesuit: 2 ASS suits, one team leader with Bonding Knife and 2 Shield Drones

Opposing Army

Autarch with Fusion Gun and Power Weapon on Eldar Jetbike
Farseer with Singing Spear, Runes of Witnessing and Spirit Stones on Eldar Jetbike knowing Doom and Fortune
Warlock Retinue of 5, all on Jetbike, one knowing Embolden and one knowing Enhance

6 Dire Avengers lead by an Exarch with two Shuriken Catapults knowing Bladestorm, all on a Falcon with Scatter Laser, Holo-Fields and Spirit Stones
6 Dire Avengers lead by an Exarch with two Shuriken Catapults knowing Bladestorm, all on a Falcon with Bright Lance, Holo-Fields and Spirit Stones
6 Guardians on Jetbike, two with Shuriken Cannons, lead by a Warlock knowing Embolden

5 Shining Spears lead by an Exarch with Star Lance knowing Skilled Raider
3 Vypers with Eldar Missile Launchers and Shuriken Cannons

Field

The map ended up with some minor elements of redundancy, a piece of cover and two pieces of LoS blocking terrain on both long sides of the board, but the difference was striking in what the deployment would’ve been.
The upper table quarters were being greatly obscured by two hills, a forest filling the western half of the space in the middle. These quarters evidently emphasized defense, and favored fast armies capable of a ‘spring-like start’, allowing a complete conceal of your forces before these started leaping forward at maximum speed. Definitely an advantage I couldn’t just leave for him to take.
The bottom table quarters had a storage tank-like structure on the left, a set of ruins around the western middle of the table edge, and a long construction on the right. Both buildings were as tall as the hills (if not a little more), and treated as impassable terrain- which basically meant this side of the table was actually the worse of the two for my army, but also diminished the hiding places for my opponent’s while still allowing him to play his game.
The south-east quarter, though, gave him the chance to shut off most of my army completely during the deployment phase were he to take the north-west one; a truly dangerous prospective.
It’s almost a given I would’ve been best to deploy in the upper long side of the table, but it really depended on the mission; as long as I wouldn’t get confined in that corner, everything could work out in the end. I started crossing my fingers.

Mission

Seize Ground, 3 Objectives.
I lost the rolloff for getting to place the majority of objectives, and he placed the first objective inside the southern ruins as much as he could without getting inside the obligatory 12’’ distance from the table edges.
I put mine next to the eastern hill, mostly because I needed to stretch the no-man’s land a little if I wanted to shoot longer, but mostly because it would’ve been an incentive to play with those two quarters in mind were we to deploy as a Spearhead.
He set for the last objective to be on the hill on the left, creating a hard to hold objective for him, but also giving some edge in deployment as he would have both the chance to shut me off in a Spearhead deployment, and to rush forward with little worry and much reward in case he was sent to the lower long table edge.

Deployment was Pitched Battle, and I won the rolloff to go first.
I immediately opted to go for the northern side of the table, and for several good reasons; the biggest one being my list’s very nature of duplicity. It was finally time for it to stick with its original intention, after 3 games of plan Bs…

Deployment

I immediately placed the two Broadside Teams on both hills, the western [Purple] Team still in hiding (mostly because I couldn’t get them to stand), and Shadowsun in the middle so her drone could reach both groups.
The two Fireknife Teams deployed separately, one next to each hill, and the Deathrains got on the right together with the [Orange] Broadside Team while hiding behind the Skyray.
The western hill was then reinforced with the mounted Fire Warrior Team, ready to start rushing forward from his hiding position.
I then placed the static Fire Warrior Team in cover inside the forest, the Pathfinders behind them, and the Warfish on their right (the picture’s left). This gave my infantry some protection while leaving them outside of focus from the enemy, as they all but looked like they were in an awful place; the truth, though, was very much different: the Pathfinders were still in range of the objective in the opponent’s deployment zone, although barely, and the Fire Warriors were in a good position to quickly mount up a ‘Fish and get zooming to an objective. And regardless of how deceptive of an effect my deployment would have on the Eldar forces, this also helped in making my eastern objective like the yummier one. Some of you may already have guessed what my plan was.
I concluded by infiltrating both Kroot Kindreds, as their job was to get behind the hills and act as a counter-charge unit doubling as scoring unit, but I didn’t want him to know that yet.

The Eldar Player ended up deploying nothing.
This gave me the golden opportunity to reinforce the western objective with a Kindred, as in the original planning, and send the other group directly into the enemy territory and onto the third objective. This move would at least buy me some time, as 15 Kroots in cover can be pretty hard to dislodge with no template weapons whatsoever.

The opponent then seizes the initiative, and the battle… Well, doesn’t start until the second turn actually.

Tau Turn 1

After the obvious stillness of the top turn 1, the Tau relocate just that tiny bit that allows them to spring out of cover with some better efficiency, and start sending reinforcements to the courageous [Green] Kroot Kindred under the form of the Warfish.
The Purple Broadsides opt not to get out of their hiding place, as I actually want him to feel like the eastern side of the board is a safer game for him: I can both get him to play my list’s game, and concentrate on obliterating whatever comes to retake the objective in Eldar territory.

Eldar Turn 2

Everything but the Scatter Laser Falcon (and Dire Avengers) comes in.
The Jetbike Guardians throw away all caution and rush towards the western objective, the Bright Lance Falcon stares at the Warfish from behind the large building, actually stunning it, and the Council together with the Vypers start getting ready to plunge forward the eastern objective. This choice was taken as the Farseer couldn’t of course cast his spells before actually getting on the board, and the otherwise super-though unit would’ve been vulnerable to my shooting. Note that from the following turn onwards, the Council will always be Fortune’d.
But the most notable and boldest unit of the turn is actually the Bright Lance’s, who shoot and charge the Green Kroot, downing two but getting obliterated in return. Those hounds were VICIOUS! They downed three Spears before their masters even got to swing their weapons, allowing them to get rid of the Exarch without too much hassle coming from Wound Allocation shenanigans.

Tau Turn 2

With all threats sent to the Kroot already taken care of, I had very little to do this turn but to welcome the Guardians, and starting to try and take out the Falcon which already showed up.
After a little relocation (during which the Pathfinders actually decided to move a little, just to be completely sure they would be able to target all of the important locations on the map), the mounted Fire Warrior Team’s Devilfish moved to the left and disembarked its drones, trying to lure the enemy unit away from what was going to murder them while giving out a screen unit.
Shooting meant the end of the line for three Guardians, but didn’t get much other than a Shaken on the Falcon thanks to Holo-Fields and Spirit Stones.

Eldar Turn 3

The Falcon got into full hiding behind the building, and the units that got ready during the previous turn predictably plunged forward, the eastern objective in their eyes.
The Guardians multi-assaulted both the drones and the Devilfish, exploding the latter and of course killing the Kor’vesas. The Fire Warriors lost two of their numbers, passed their pinning test, but decided to run away with a roll of 11.

Tau Turn 3

The Fire Warriors are just that bit inside the 6’’ distance from the Jetbike Guardians that forces them to run, and predictably get off the table.
On the Western objective, things go as predicted and the Guardians get obliterated under the [Azure] Fireknifes’ shooting (helped by the Pathfinders’ markerlights). The [Lemon] Kindred looks a little sad when they find out they can’t charge nobody during this turn, and quietly run into a hiding position again.
The rest of the forces commence the split, with all units but the Orange Broadsides moving away from the objective; the latter unit actually moves towards the Council, trying to give them as little movement as possible while offering itself to the enemy.
Shooting sees off a Vyper altogether, and a Missile Launcher system.

Turn 4

The Eldar turn goes as one may easily guess, with the Council eating the Orange Broadsides alive thanks to the Autarch’s power weapon. Their shooting also makes so that one from the [Black] Fireknife Team dies and leaves the other with one wound remaining, and the other Falcon finally comes onto the table, though it just sits in the vicinity of the southern objective without accomplishing much or unloading its cargo.
The Tau then proceed in annihilating the Vypers, and actually score two kills on the Seer Council after much shooting Thanks to some Seeker Missiles, at that. The surviving Black Fireknife then moves forward, attempting to do the same as the Orange Broadsides did in the previous turn.
The remaining Broadsides shoot at the Bright Lance Falcon which got out of its hiding place to shoot without effect, shaking it and taking out its Pulse Laser, but not succeeding in their critical main objective, which was stopping it in its tracks. I already know this scoring transport will give me trouble starting next turn.
The Kroot assault the other Falcon, scoring two glancing hits, but predictably not doing anything more than shaking the vehicle.

Eldar Turn 5

The Bright Lance Falcon zooms towards the eastern objective. I didn’t think it was on a scoring position yet, but it might have been.
The other Falcon moves on the southern objective, not immobilizing itself again, and unloads its cargo, which Bladestorms the Green Kindred. The 11 wounds that ensue spell death for one Kroot and four Hounds, but the Kindred holds its grounds.
The Council eats the Black Fireknife alive, and takes the SMS system off the Skyray in a multi-assault.

Tau Turn 5

The static Fire Warriors get onto the Warfish, which moves towards the eastern objective supported by the Deathrains, giving the Eldar some more pressure for the control of that objective, while Shadowsun and the Azure Fireknifes move towards the southern objective in order to bring overwhelming firepower for the Dire Avengers to bear during the following turn (if there will be any). Of course the Lemon Kindred moves so it is scoring on the western objective, and the Skyray moves out of the way in order to try and light up the Bright Lance Falcon while getting ready to go and contest during the following turn (see above).
Shooting is pretty ineffective again, though it has some nice perks: the Green Kroot rapid fire onto the Dire Avengers, not wishing to charge on a squad capable of wiping them out in melee before they even get to swing, who go to ground since they’re not going to shoot or assault in the following turn anyway, losing a member. The combined fire of the Fireknifes and Shadowsun (who was barely in Melta range) doesn’t even scratch the Scatter Laser Falcon, which evades thanks to a random pipe giving it cover, and the other Falcon is as well left unscratched despite the markerlight support coming from both sources. The Warfish, on the other hand, downs a Warlock with its Smart Missile System.

The game continues on a roll of 4.

Turn 6

The Eldar turn sees the Bright Lance Falcon getting onto the objective and its Dire Avengers disembarking and Bladestorming the Deathrain Team, which loses its Shas’Vre and sees the Shas’ui running away. That was another roll of 11, mind you, so no Shadowsun saves could’ve been taken during this game.
The Seer Council explodes the Warfish, the Fire Warriors inside taking five casualties, but the brave Shas’la hold their ground and start loading up their rifles.
The Scatter Laser Falcon turbo-boosts towards the eastern objective, not immobilizing itself again, and visibly gets into the 3’’ range, contesting it and giving a big headache to the units defending it.

The Tau turn sees a Falcon finally leaving this world, the Broadsides rolling a single hit thanks to the 4+ cover save, but a double 4 on the damage chart roll modified by the Holo-Fields, meaning the vehicle is wrecked. I actually had it explode on the report picture; the correct version sees the Falcon being wrecked. I’m sorry for the confusion.
As the Skyray gets into contesting range on the eastern objective, the Fire Warriors shoot at the Dire Avengers in a last attempt of clearing the place of the Eldar presence, downing only one and thus not even forcing them to take a leadership test.
The southern objective sees the Dire Avengers get slaughtered by the Fireknifes, which get support from both the Pathfinders and the Skyray with a grand total of 5 markerlights, only the Exarch left standing before he is eaten by the Green Kindred in an unsightly fashion.

The game ends, the Tau controlling scoring two points to the Eldar’s 0. Tau victory.

Post-Game Thoughts

The plan worked, and that’s really about it, though the opponent not deploying anything at the beginning REALLY helped me out, allowing me to relax with the Fire Warrior Teams on Devilfish I had planned.
His army’s biggest advantage over mine was negated by the super-costly Seer Council squad, which cost him a little over 500 points, allowing me to effectively control the flow of the battle by literally feeding it and directing it where I wanted it to be. The fact he still had only 100 victory points less than me with just two units and a transport says enough about how closed up his army was on itself!
I think we may have played the initiative order for charging units in cover as it was played in the 4th edition; the Eldar codex always confuses us because of the Banshees’ Masks, and though we didn’t actually play any Banshees the codex was still there on the table for reference. Can anyone confirm this by the looks of the battle report?

Honorable Units

1. Kroot: Should I even get started on these guys? Their infiltration skill alone allowed me to get advantage of the opponent’s lowered guard in the very beginning of the game, changing the flow of the match in an irreversible way.
2. Broadsides: though their fire was mostly ineffective towards the Falcons, it’s still their guns which claimed the most of the enemy armor, and it’s still their fire lanes which dictated where the enemy would go. The two teams were a truly fearsome weapon in the last games, and not only thanks to their dice rolling power.
3. Fireknifes: they (actually, only the Azure Team, but regardless) were the ones who brought overwhelming firepower on the enemy when I needed it.

Bonus: Markerlight Deliverers
I could be tempted to say the Skyray was the most effective between the two units, as the tank also contributed by giving mobile cover and was consistently pulling enemies and contesting an objective; but the critical situation were almost always handled by the Markerlights themselves, and the Pathfinders were flawless in appearing invisible and innocuous until the very end, when they allowed the Fireknifes to unleash hell on the Dire Avengers. Despite the luck which blessed the Bright Lance Falcon and neutered my markerlight support, this piece of wargear did indeed change the game in my favor.

The Eldar player told me he would like to have a rematch soon; I don’t know if he will actually get it soon though, as I’m as busy as ever in these final days before my departure (which is on Thursday, if I didn’t make it clear enough by typing it several times over in all of my posts). We’ll see.
[Kiten's Cadre] Project Log and War Council

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: [Kiten's Cadre] Fire Record - 75T2 vs Eldar

Post#2 » Oct 11 2010 04:41

Great batrep and graphics, Kiten. Thank you for your efforts.

E.

St. Louis
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 19 2010 01:42

I am by no means an Eldar expert, I don’t play them or against them all that often. However despite my lack of experience it seems to me that the Eldar player made some huge mistakes that cost him the game. If I'm incorrect someone please let me know.

1. He held everything in reserve
I know why people sometimes do this, but to do it against an army as maneuverable and shooty as the Tau seems like your just asking to lose. You will lose distance, time, and you will enter piecemeal against a force that can probably hit you hard anywhere as they have had an extra turn to position there shooting units.
Than there is the fact that there was a nice big patch of area terrain...on an objective! which was obviously taken advantage of by you Kroot giving you a nice boost in Tempo (putting things on the board that are expendable (yes, despite holding an objective they were expendable) but that you opponent is forced to deal with, will give you more freedom of action).
Long story short going in reserve may have cost him the game

2. He charged your Kroot
Bad move in my opinion even if he had won, the assaulting units would have been shot to pieces next turn anyway. He had the chance to take a scoring unit off an objective, but since it was in his deployment zone he really should have already had something in that general area to prevent exactly this kind of thing from happening (see point 1.)

3. He spread out.
Eldar units pay a steep price for their speed; however speed in itself is worthless unless it translates into a combat advantage. The advantage of speed is obviously the ability to put key units in key positions, 90% of the time this means creating a local majority to the point where rolling dice is merely a formality. The Eldar player deployed five units three of which were huddled on the right one in the middle and one on the left. This may sound like a concentration but it's really not. Every Eldar unit should have been on the right side of the field. see 1. again :biggrin:
I don’t want to take away from OP victory but I feel like this is at least worth discussing
My 5th Edition battle results
W7000 L-17

Kiten
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 19 2010 02:33

It indeed is, St. Louis.

I, too, feel the game became notably in my favour because of my opponent's choice. In fact, I do not see the point of not deploying anything in this particular mission setup: thanks to the large building, he would've had the chance to get to my lines way faster than what he did.

And then he sacrificed two units to the Greater Good (of others), by charging the Kroot and sending a lone squad towards certain death in the form of an undisturbed fire base. Though these mistakes are nothing compared to "1.".

There's also one big, big mistake he did though, which you don't seem to have spotted. Did you notice he actually tried (and succeeded) in stealing the initiative? I'll give him we thought you had to roll the dice for siezing the initiative at the beginning of our wargaming career, but that was quite some time ago now. And to actually roll the dice which will give you a 1/6 chance of doing that is not really that great of a move is it? Especially when you're playing on target denial and sudden strikes like he was planning to, regardless of the validity of his strategy.
[Kiten's Cadre] Project Log and War Council

Return to “Archival Datacore”