1000 Points Tournament (Tau Victory)

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

1000 Points Tournament (Tau Victory)

Post#1 » Feb 14 2011 01:26

[Note: I was going to place this in field experience, but for whatever reason I am not able to post anywhere but the original two concourses.]

Edit: Thank you to whomever moved it for me. ^_^

So, it has been awhile since I have posted here in these hallowed halls of all things Tau. Life has put me into a ringer of activity, leaving me little to no time to do much of anything but the work that is required of me. Recently I had completed construction (though not painting) of my 1850 points army in time for an 1850 tournament that never happened. So, I waited patiently, while painting what I could when I could, for the next tournament to roll around.

Well, this weekend we had a 1000 point tournament. This is the first tournament I have ever entered, so I was not sure what to expect. All together we had 9 players. The 9th player showed up late, so he got the "bye," and we started the first of three rounds.

Round 1
Tau vs. Bloodangels - Take and hold.

We each chose a piece of terrain that we would have to take and hold. They ended being on the back right sides of our respective deployment zones. The BA player put a Death Company Dread on his objective, and put his Razorback and remaining troops hiding behind some terrain on the opposite side of his deployment zone, with a straight and open path to my objective. I deployed by two broadsides with a single layer of kroot bubble wrap right on the table edge, center of my deployment zone. This gave me good firing lanes to most of the table. My other kroot buried themselves in the piece of forest I chose as my take and hold objective.

The battle opened with my Shield'O moving up to take out the dreadnaught. My crisis suits jumped around to jockey for a good firing position when the razorback and troops came out from cover. My Broadsides realized they had a perfect line of sight on the dread, and put a hole clean through his head. The enemy objective is now cleared, and the remainder of his army is on the other side of the table.

His marines move forward, in all their jet pack-y goodness, and close in on my Kroot in their nice little space marine armor save providing forest of cover. :) They open fire, and kill a kroot. The razorback scuttles forward just enough to let loose a lascannon, but it fires wide.

All my kroot open fire on the space marines, killing two. The Broadsides fire at the razorback's front armor, now clearly in view. It sputters to a halt as a round is put clean through its engine. My HQ starts rounding the enemy backfield towards the razorback, and the Crisis suits are getting ready for the razorbacks inhabitants to make a run for it. My Devilfish appears on my left table edge with the enemy's objective in sight.

The Death Company inside the razorback finally piles out of their transport, trudging through the dense foliage nearby to get at my HQ, which happens to be the closest enemy. The other marines assault my Kroot. Without their spiffy cover save, they collapse under the might of their assualt-y goodness. I manage to take a couple with me, but the remaining 3 kroot flee the forest, leaving the objective to the enemy.

My kroot bubble wrap, who had been advancing to assist the other kroot as of the previous turn, open fire on the space marines embedded in my forest objective. Their firepower combined with my Broadsides, and crisis suits, mows down everyone but the resolute librarian, who is cowering beneath his force shield, his arms flailing about to deflect all the incoming fire. My Devilfish make it to the enemy objective.

The death company continues to trudge through the difficult terrain that stood in its way of my HQ. By next turn it should emerge, and charge their target. The Librarian.... well... doesn't do very much.

My entire army opens fire on the librarian and ends him swiftly.

My opponent surrenders at the end of turn 4.

1 win, and 7 KPs for me.

Round 2
Tau vs. Orks - Dawn of war / Annihilation

This is a desert themed table. (Oh, how fitting. :) ) There are fortress towers in opposite corners, and various plateaus scattered about. I deploy my HQ, and one squad of Kroot along a long plateau/mesa that spans a large portion of the right side of my deployment zone. I put my other squad of kroot in the fortress tower on my left flank. He piles his orks directly across the table from me, and behind his fortress tower. I deployed right on the line between our deployment zones to keep away from the table edge, and forcing him towards his, since he had to deploy at least 18 inches away from my troops.

My opponent steals initiative.
The Orks, of course, charge across the field, closing our distance by half. I, rolled to see if I could see him, and rolled the exact distance of my weapons. Lucky me. I open fire and manage to thin the green tide just a little, but not much.

On turn two the rest of our armies come onto the table. I chose not to hold anything into reserve this time, seeing no point. My crisis suits jump behind the mesa, ready to support the kroot. Broadsides take position on the table edge, with a line of fire to the whole table. The Devilfish is ready to beeline up the center in an attempt to divide the two tides, hopefully stalling the second one at least.

The first wave hits my kroot. It was a vicious battle. I kill six of his Orks, and he takes 5 of my kroot. Wait, I won combat? Sweet! He flees and I sweeping advance. Destroying easily a 3rd of his army. We both stare in shock at what just happened. The battle just very quickly shifted into my favor.

My crisis suits jump onto the Mesa alongside the remaining and resolute Kroot, and proceed to thin out the second wave of green tide, if only slightly. My Broadsides take out a Killer Kan that marched onto the table opposite my broadsides. My Crisis suits jump back behind mesa.

The second wave starst advancing on my Shield'O, who by this time is locked in CC with a Kopta. His Ork Truck fires at the kroot, leaving all but two left. They make their leadership check, and stay on the mesa.

At this point, details are fuzzy, as I am on lots of Dayquil.....
Most of his army eventually becomes locked in CC with my Shield'O. My army stands and watches in awe as he stands there and fends off the Ork tide single handedly for two rounds. The destroys the Kopta with his bare hands, and manages a few final orders to the broadsides while fending off the bloodthirsty Orks. The broadsides, their target no longer obscured by the green mass, takes a final shot at the Trukk, and it explodes.

The Shield'O sacrifices himself for the greater good.

Tau Victory 4 KPs to 1 KP

Round 3
Tau Vs. Orks - 5 Objectives / Spearhead Deployment.

I really don't remember much from this game. We both agree that the table terrain sucked for spearhead deployment. We both recognized after the fact that we deployed incorrectly (neither of us ever having done spearhead deployment before).

My opponent is pretty much the shop's best player, and has won every other tournament they have had.

He realized all too quickly that Killer Kans do not last very long at all in front of rail guns, and that the massed fire of Kroot can hurt, even while you are in cover. He realized that the Tau are far too squishy, something we all unfortunately already knew. He had never played Tau before, so he was not sure quite what to expect.

In the end it came down to Tau with 2 Objectives, and Orks with 3. In round 4, it was Tau with 2, 2 contested, and Orks with 1. If I had bothered to shoot the One Killer Kan holding a single far right objective (which I would have had to shoot through a building to do so, but I already killed 2 out of that unit of three in doing so), it would have tied the game, and with the current scores and KPs, I would have won the tournament. I blame the copious amounts of Dayquil for fogging my judgement. Lol.

I was so, so, oh so close to winning that round, and even tying it would have given me the tournament. Yet, in the end, I took 3rd place overall.

First place was my last opponent (Orks), which I am not too surprised, and don't feel too bad on losing against.
Second place was a Chaos Demon army. This is such a hard army to play against.
Third Place was my Tau army.

Edit: After careful review of the last battle, having made a few realizations upon completion of this brief report (mainly that it was a lone Killa Kan on one objective, and they can not hold objectives), as well as discussion with my last opponent (who was also the tournament coordinator), we have determined that the last game was actually a Tie. We both had two objectives, and the third was simply contested, and not claimed.

This means that I actually won the tournament. So, a greater victory for the greater good. :)
Last edited by Crunchy_Monk on Feb 15 2011 10:09, edited 2 times in total.
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Doomedllamaguy
Shas

Re: 1000 Points Tournament (Tau Victory)

Post#2 » Feb 14 2011 05:43

Congrats on your win! :-D Nice battle report, I personaly enjoyed the part about the Libarian flailing his arms :-P Kroot can do some crazy stuff, in my first game I had a team of 14 kroot beat a assault squad :-P

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Feb 15 2011 12:09

Doomedllamaguy wrote:Congrats on your win! :-D Nice battle report, I personaly enjoyed the part about the Libarian flailing his arms :-P Kroot can do some crazy stuff, in my first game I had a team of 14 kroot beat a assault squad :-P

The Kroot almost always perform exactly as I planned, or expected them to, but sometimes they just pull a gold nugget out of nowhere. I was only running two squads of 12 Kroot each, which is only a few less than what I normally run in each in my higher point armies.

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Feb 15 2011 12:27

Hey good to see you're still around Crunchy. Looks like you had quite the fight on your hands. Out of curiousity, what did your list look like? I'd much like to know the finer points on the construction of your list.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 15 2011 08:20

Ell'ran wrote:Hey good to see you're still around Crunchy. Looks like you had quite the fight on your hands. Out of curiousity, what did your list look like? I'd much like to know the finer points on the construction of your list.

Yeah, I am still kicking. :) Life just takes its toll on free time sometimes. When I get a chance later today, I will post the list I used. ^_^

For now.... it's off to work.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Feb 15 2011 10:05

Ah, how I love google docs. Copy and paste. :)

So this is the list I used for my 1000 points tournament. Points values have been removed. It seemed to me that 1000 points was a very strong level for the Tau. Excluding the Orks, it seems that the other armies either didn't have enough models on the table to pose a threat, or had a lot of little models, but not enough of the big stuff to counter my suits. This is just an observation, of course.

HQ
Shas'O Vior'La KaK'Vishai "Commander Sandstorm" (Shield O Config)
XV89 Crisis Suit (Forgeworld)
[TL FB, Pos'R, Iridium, HWDC, HWTL, HWMT, 2 SDs, BSF]

Elites
1 xV8 Crisis Suits (Heat Wave Pattern)
[Missile Pod, TL FLamer]

3 xV8 Crisis Suits (Fire Knife Pattern)
[Team Leader: Bonding Knife, PR, MP, MT]
[TL PR, MP]
[PR, MP, MT]

Troops
6 Pulse rifle FW in Devilfish
[Flechette, DisPod, Decoy]

13 Kroot

13 Kroot

Heavy

2 XV-88-2 Broadside Battlesuits (Forgeworld)
- [Team Leader, Target Array, Plasma Rifles, HWMT, HWDC + 2 SDs, Bonding]
- [Multi Tracker, Plasma Rifles]

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Feb 15 2011 12:19

Looks like a very solid list, I just have one very annoying question. Why, oh why, does a suit with T/L FBs have a HWBSF?

Other than that, no complaints. You seem to know your cadre very well and have built up a lot of synergy within it.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#8 » Feb 15 2011 01:09

It's not often that we see plasma rifles being used on Broadsides. Do you have any specific reasoning behind taking them over SMS? Most players tend to take ASS to allow mobility.

E.

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Feb 15 2011 01:56

I'm actually seeing it used more and more often these days E. People that typically face a lot of 2+/3+, T4 FNP, or a lot of heavy/elite mobile armies tend to take the XV88 Plasma option because it gives a different source of Plasma, and it allows you to stay as mobile as possible while staying in the fight.

From what I can see, Crunchy doesn't rely on XV88s as the main source of his anti-tank capabilities, correct me if I'm wrong Crunchy. That being said, if his XV88s are entagled in melee or forced to move, there are still options open to take out existing armor formations.

I personally take a single Plasma as well as a single ASS assisted SMS suit. The plasma I try to keep closer to the front line to support any static element of my list, and the BASS I use as one of my main Anti-Tank sources and maneuver around the battlefield to get those side shots where I can.

The merits of the Broadside vs Broadsword (as I like to call it) are possibly discussed in depth in another thread though, I think.

So, in essence E., it is mobility, just a different kind.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Feb 15 2011 09:37

Actually, in most games, my broadsides never move. :)

Edit: Probably the reason why it appears that way on this list, is the overall composition. Yet, if you look at my larger lists, they comprise a full squad of like fitted broadsides, and Hammerheads with burst cannons instead of drones. My Broadsides are indeed my primary anti tank role, but they do tend to secondary a lot on plucking at heavy infantry, and the occasional transport kill assist. (should the rails, you know.... ahem, miss.) Likewise, my hammerheads are primarily tasked with armor and MCs, but their secondary role (with their pie plates and BCs) is to thin down hord armies (because God knows my LGS has a lot of them).

It seems to me to be the case that our army has an abundance of S5 AP5 weaponry available to us. Now, admittedly, this list may have been a bit short in this regard, but in my usual 1500 and 1850 points lists, there is more than enough of it between the burst cannons on my fish, 'heads, and stealth suits.

In my case, the PRs have actually proven to be enough of a deterrent for those MCs that like to drop in, or pop up right next to my Broadsides. I I have managed to kill the Mawloc that says hello in round two, which only was possible with a squad full of PRs. I have been the only person in my local game store to kill both of the Chaos player's soul grinders in a single game.

To me, the main benefit of the SMS is being able to fire while behind cover, and I almost always try to give my broadsides the best lanes of fire, even if this makes them open to incoming fire. When joining my Shield'O to this unit, they are nigh indestructible to large volumes of incoming fire, so much so I managed to become one enemy's fire sink, absorbing the incoming fire of most of an army for two rounds, losing only two drones, and taking one wound, while taking out two tanks themselves, and allowing the hammerheads to jockey for better firing positions on lighter armor, and for pie plates on enemy troop formations.

I suppose, that in the end, the choice and preference of secondary weapon comes down to play style, but for me the PRs have performed extremely admirably in most circumstances.
Last edited by Crunchy_Monk on Feb 18 2011 02:34, edited 2 times in total.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Feb 15 2011 09:43

Ell'ran wrote:Looks like a very solid list, I just have one very annoying question. Why, oh why, does a suit with T/L FBs have a HWBSF?

Other than that, no complaints. You seem to know your cadre very well and have built up a lot of synergy within it.

If I remember correctly, I just forgot to take that out from an older list. Lol

Return to “Archival Datacore”