No Formations, Pathfinders or Drones?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Pogman
Shas

No Formations, Pathfinders or Drones?

Post#1 » Mar 08 2017 02:57

Local league for this round has challenged us by not allowing formations, CADs only. 2k cap. In a world where I don't have access to tetras, what's my next best option for marker lights. Pathfinders? Drones? A mix?

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: No Formations, Pathfinders or Drones?

Post#2 » Mar 08 2017 03:05

That one is easy. :D

Commander with Drone Controller in Drones. Done.

Pogman
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 08 2017 03:12

Hahaha, of course. I've already got that. But in a 2k list I'll need more than one source of lights, right lol?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 08 2017 03:29

A second Mark'O? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly without formations nor Forgeworld nor a Commander in the Drones both are pretty much equal to each other.
Pathfinder are more reliable but they also die a LOT faster and might suffer from having no Line of Sight due Markerlights being Heavy.
So it's pretty much personal preference.Go with what you feel better with or what fits your list theme better. The advantage of Drones would be though that once your opponent killed some of your Mark'O units Drones you could let him join the other unit. I for one however found them too unreliable with just BS2 so they were not really fun to play for me.

Of course there are some more exotic choices as well but imo they aren't that good.
- Stealth Suit Shas'Vre with Drone Controller and 2 Markerlight Drones
- Sniper Drone Team with multiple Marksmen (about as squishy and mobile as Pathfinder, however BS5)
- Skyrays

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Mar 08 2017 04:36

Panzer wrote: - Sniper Drone Team with multiple Marksmen (about as squishy and mobile as Pathfinder, however BS5)

Sniper team on a Tidewall is not too shabby. You get a 3+ cover, some mobility, markerlights than never miss and majority toughness 4. Expensive, but since Droneports are 60pts and come with a unit of Marker drones (normally 56pts), you get the bonuses to the Sniper team essentially for free.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#6 » Mar 08 2017 04:37

Unicornsilovethem wrote:
Panzer wrote: - Sniper Drone Team with multiple Marksmen (about as squishy and mobile as Pathfinder, however BS5)

Sniper team on a Tidewall is not too shabby. You get a 3+ cover, some mobility, markerlights than never miss and majority toughness 4. Expensive, but since Droneports are 60pts and come with a unit of Marker drones (normally 56pts), you get the bonuses to the Sniper team essentially for free.

Can you get a Tidewall without using a formation though? And would it fit his playstyle and the rest of the army?
Those are kinda important factors as well ^^

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Mar 08 2017 04:47

A Droneport is a standard Fortification, you can take it in any CAD.

Pogman
Shas

Post#8 » Mar 08 2017 06:34

I think i'm gonna go with Dual CAD, each Commander joining a squad of drones with 2 of his own, with the controller. A skyray. And then I'll see if I can find another piranha to have it "function as" a tetra to supplement the one I've already got.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#9 » Mar 09 2017 02:41

Pogman wrote:I think i'm gonna go with Dual CAD, each Commander joining a squad of drones with 2 of his own, with the controller. A skyray. And then I'll see if I can find another piranha to have it "function as" a tetra to supplement the one I've already got.

Why dual CAD for that though? You can take two Commander in a single CAD, you know? ^^

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Mar 09 2017 04:58

Pogman wrote:I think i'm gonna go with Dual CAD, each Commander joining a squad of drones with 2 of his own, with the controller. A skyray. And then I'll see if I can find another piranha to have it "function as" a tetra to supplement the one I've already got.

Wait, you are allowed to use tetras? Go to an Eldar friend, borrow as many jetbikes as you can, and fill the board with count-as tetras. Always better. With Markmanders you can cost-efficiently drown a single enemy unit in markerlights if you want, but do you really need that many markerlights on a single target? You probably don't. And if you do, nothing prevents you from doing so with a bunch of tetras anyway. But normally, you want the ability to mark up several different targets, and Markmanders are a heavy investment (85+8+x*14) that don't let you do that.

Return to “Tau Tactics”