Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
User avatar
KuroRyu
Shas'La
Posts: 279
Contact:

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#11 » Jun 10 2017 11:07

Could I just get a clarification here about drones because I didn't read about them when I was scanning over the leaks.

Do drones not form a part of their parent unit like they did before? Everyone seems to be talking as if drones that accompany our infantry (as opposed to dedicated drone squads) are now separate units? Or are there only dedicated drone squads and they can't be taken as wargear anymore?

User avatar
Elphiel
Shas'La
Posts: 87
Contact:

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#12 » Jun 10 2017 11:29

If bought as wargear, as soon as the unit that bought them is deployed, any accompanying drones form a separate unit.

User avatar
QimRas
Shas'Saal
Posts: 213

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#13 » Jun 10 2017 11:30

Drones taken as wargear form their own unit and act independantly after deployment.

User avatar
KuroRyu
Shas'La
Posts: 279
Contact:

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#14 » Jun 10 2017 02:26

That sounds like it defeats the point of taking drones as wargear

jakinbandw
Shas'Saal
Posts: 11

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#15 » Jun 10 2017 03:07

KuroRyu wrote:That sounds like it defeats the point of taking drones as wargear

It let's you manta strike them. Also you can only get a few types of drones by taking them with another unit.

User avatar
khayman
Shas'Saal
Posts: 89

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#16 » Jun 11 2017 02:41

DragonPup wrote:I'll start off is I am going to give 40k another try after many years and I figured I'd try Tau as well cause the suits were always cool looking.

That said, it seems like Markerlight Drones are a waste. With BS 5+ it takes 3 to reliable get a single counter on a unit. At the same time, 3 Gun Drones drop 12 shots, 4 of which hit resulting in 2-3 wounds (before saves) to your average troop which seems more effective than the relative Markerlight bonus. Shield Drones feel like they are better when their associated unit needs to operate away from the rest of the army and other drones where it is more important to keep something important functioning than to take potshots at troops.


Are you saying ML drones are a waste as an accompanying wargear choice or even in large squads of their own?

DragonPup
Shas
Posts: 6

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#17 » Jun 11 2017 08:34

khayman wrote:
DragonPup wrote:I'll start off is I am going to give 40k another try after many years and I figured I'd try Tau as well cause the suits were always cool looking.

That said, it seems like Markerlight Drones are a waste. With BS 5+ it takes 3 to reliable get a single counter on a unit. At the same time, 3 Gun Drones drop 12 shots, 4 of which hit resulting in 2-3 wounds (before saves) to your average troop which seems more effective than the relative Markerlight bonus. Shield Drones feel like they are better when their associated unit needs to operate away from the rest of the army and other drones where it is more important to keep something important functioning than to take potshots at troops.


Are you saying ML drones are a waste as an accompanying wargear choice or even in large squads of their own?


In the sense that it takes 3 to reliably apply one ML token, and that token affects one out of 12 shots at BS4. From the outside that seems not fantastic.

User avatar
AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Posts: 775

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#18 » Jun 12 2017 12:31

I've had mild success with Grav-inhibitor drones. The only trick is keeping them alive, but so far it seems like my opponents either forget about them, or can't spare a shot in their direction. Keeping them hidden has helped as well. Can't shoot what you can't see.

This drone can potentially save a unit from being charged from a unit arriving in deepstrike as some units get extra dice to charge or rerolls. Worth it for 8 points IMO.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

DVeight
Shas'La
Posts: 66

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#19 » Jun 12 2017 02:02

Mild success is better than no success at all.

I feel that grav inhibitor and accelerator drones should be a staple in your list. As far as I am concerned, my primary goal with my Tau is not to get charged and hit for close combat. Its not our forte and the more turns you can spend denying your opponent such reach the better you will be for it.

Grav inhibitor will automatically deny 1" to the opponent. That can mean the difference between reaching your unit or not. With a better roll you can get 2"or 3" denial. The fact that 8th is all about what I call "bubble buff", grav inhibitors are very tasty.

Accelerator drones! Get that extra 6" in a "bubble buff". Why the hell not?!! Taking your weapons a further 6" that also improves your range for those rapid fire weapons when measuring half the distance is concerned. Fire warrior now at 36" and half way is 18". On a game board this is significant. Trust me. :)

Then there are the marker lights, shield, etc. All good. I don't have issues taking them as wargear. The more the merrier. Don't forget, in 8th we don't have to have our drone sitting in front of our units to take/absorb the hits when a firewarrior unit is being shot at, for example. You can sit them behind, even out of sight... as long as they comply with the range. Little units of 2 flying around where you want/need them the most is great. You can mass them up if you need/want to.

My advice, don't discount the drones so easy.

heksagon
Shas'Saal
Posts: 12

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#20 » Jun 12 2017 03:07

Hello, this is my first post here! I have question about drones attached to Vehicles. Sorry if this question is dumb, but this is my very first try with a 40k and I have no experience with this system at all.

Attached Drones: "...drones are attached, and are treated as being embarked"

"If transport is destroyed, any units embarked within immediately disembark before transport model is removed, but ou must then roll one dice for..."

Well, does this rule apply to the Devilfish/Piranha/etc?

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 2672

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#21 » Jun 12 2017 03:25

heksagon wrote:Hello, this is my first post here! I have question about drones attached to Vehicles. Sorry if this question is dumb, but this is my very first try with a 40k and I have no experience with this system at all.

Attached Drones: "...drones are attached, and are treated as being embarked"

"If transport is destroyed, any units embarked within immediately disembark before transport model is removed, but ou must then roll one dice for..."

Well, does this rule apply to the Devilfish/Piranha/etc?

Yes.

User avatar
CDR_Farsight
Shas
Posts: 51

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#22 » Jun 13 2017 08:45

How do drones work sitting in Tidewall fortifications? As far as I can tell, all of the Tidewall fortification types allow for up to 10 models including any number of characters but only ONE non-character infantry unit to be embarked. Does this mean that an infantry unit with drones (say 8 Pathfinders with both GI and PA drones) may not deploy in a Tidewall since that would technically become two separate infantry units the second it is placed on the board? Or would you immediately have to disembark the drones when the Tidewall is placed?
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

User avatar
Elphiel
Shas'La
Posts: 87
Contact:

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#23 » Jun 13 2017 09:43

Tidewall fortification structures are not allowed to transport drones compared to a devilfish. Only Infantry.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 2672

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#24 » Jun 13 2017 09:53

Since Drones are not even infantry I'd say they can't get deployed on a Tidewall at all.
Whether that means the Pathfinder could get deployed on a Tidewall and the Drones within 3" but outside of the Tidewall or whether it means that the Pathfinder unit can't get deployed on a Tidewall either if they have Drones with them is the tricky question though.

User avatar
CDR_Farsight
Shas
Posts: 51

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#25 » Jun 16 2017 05:37

I hope not carrying drones in Tidewalls was a rules oversight and not intentional. It would be pretty stupid fluff-wise to say infantry can't use or benefit from drones if they are in a Tidewall since it's been generalized as a "transport" now. It would also make Droneports, Defense Platforms, and to a lesser extent, Shield Walls, about worthless. The Gun Rig is still viable, because let's face it, no one gets a Gun Rig to make their gribblies more survivable or effective...they get it for the BFG!

There seem to be a lot of questions already out there about the various Tidewalls. Hopefully they FAQ them quickly (and favorably)!
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

User avatar
Vector Strike
Shas'La
Posts: 941

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#26 » Jun 16 2017 05:52

CDR_Farsight wrote:I hope not carrying drones in Tidewalls was a rules oversight and not intentional. It would be pretty stupid fluff-wise to say infantry can't use or benefit from drones if they are in a Tidewall since it's been generalized as a "transport" now. It would also make Droneports, Defense Platforms, and to a lesser extent, Shield Walls, about worthless. The Gun Rig is still viable, because let's face it, no one gets a Gun Rig to make their gribblies more survivable or effective...they get it for the BFG!

There seem to be a lot of questions already out there about the various Tidewalls. Hopefully they FAQ them quickly (and favorably)!


the 'BFG' now only fires at BS5+. It's not really good anymore.

But I agree it might be an oversight to not let drones in. A lot of stuff is badly written or simply strange in the indexes.

User avatar
Yasu
Shas
Posts: 2

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#27 » Jun 19 2017 02:34

In our Russian forums arose question - in Manta Strike is written, that unit Set Up 2 times - first time in Manta, second on battlefield. But Drones have rule:
When a unit is set up, any accompanying Drones must
be placed in unit coherency with it. From that point
onwards, the accompanying Drones are treated as a
separate unit.

And they don't have rule to Deep Strike.
It means, that they stay in Manta Forever, or their rule triggered every time, when Set Up?

If every time - then for example for Y'Vahra after every using Escape Thrust will they be set up with Y'vahra? Will they restore if yes for previous question?

User avatar
Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Posts: 325

Re: Drones on 8th : Which ones/where?

Post#28 » Jun 19 2017 02:55

"Set up" in this context means actualy putting them on the battlefield (table). Until you put them on the table, they are a signle unit, after that they're separate. Y'Vahra has to be put on the table during pre-game deployment, when she uses her escape thrust, her drones stay on the table.

Return to “Tau Tactics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests