A use for sniper drones?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal
Posts: 60

A use for sniper drones?

Post#1 » Aug 12 2017 05:28

Now that Vespids are actually pretty good, this unit has probably taken their place. Now, this is the best method I have for salvaging them:

A Broadside with a HRR and a Drone Controller

Firesight Marksman (Duh)

and the drones themselves.

Altogether, this will give the drones a 3+ to hit, which isn't too shabby. The Broadside will be in front to give them their added penalty to being hit, and the HRR will allow it to strike at the enemy from that range. Now the downsides are that you have to keep the Broadside nearby and pay for the firesight marksman. And that's not even getting into the issue of having to rely on str5 with no AP to wound enemy characters. I probably wouldn't use them in any seriously competitive game, but this is my best effort to making them usable.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 258

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#2 » Aug 12 2017 06:44

Probably the best setup we can hope for at the moment, especially with the 3+ to hit. I'm hoping our codex fixes them as they were always the first thing in my list in 7th. As you say though, doesn't really fix them enough for any sort of competitive use

User avatar
MNGamer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 99

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#3 » Aug 12 2017 08:16

TBH all the drones really need is a 6+ deals a mortal wound.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2184

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#4 » Aug 12 2017 08:30

CelticBarbarian wrote:Altogether, this will give the drones a 3+ to hit, which isn't too shabby. The Broadside will be in front to give them their added penalty to being hit, and the HRR will allow it to strike at the enemy from that range. Now the downsides are that you have to keep the Broadside nearby and pay for the firesight marksman. And that's not even getting into the issue of having to rely on str5 with no AP to wound enemy characters. I probably wouldn't use them in any seriously competitive game, but this is my best effort to making them usable.


I think you're right: a Broadside is the best place for a backfield Drone Controller, Sniper Drones work best with a Drone Controller & with a Firesight Marksman. So, this might be the best setup for Sniper Drones.

However, fundamentally the most effective setup involves three sub-par units... :neutral: You're also right that they aren't seriously competitive. Hopefully they get better in the Codex but I'm not counting on it.

Antao
Shas'Saal
Posts: 46

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#5 » Aug 12 2017 09:35

I would suggest instead using them up close with a stealth unit with a drone controller. You can use the rapid fire range which makes them far more efficient.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2184

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#6 » Aug 12 2017 10:48

Antao wrote:I would suggest instead using them up close with a stealth unit with a drone controller. You can use the rapid fire range which makes them far more efficient.


Their rapid-fire range is quite long though. You can get two shots per Drone at decent range.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal
Posts: 60

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#7 » Aug 13 2017 11:02

Arka0415 wrote:However, fundamentally the most effective setup involves three sub-par units... :neutral: You're also right that they aren't seriously competitive. Hopefully they get better in the Codex but I'm not counting on it.


While I'd like to believe that the Codex will rebalance much of our units like Riptides, Broadsides and to a lesser extent Crisis Suits... I remember that we are not Space Marines. Therefore GW will not be giving us anything.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2184

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#8 » Aug 13 2017 11:09

CelticBarbarian wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:However, fundamentally the most effective setup involves three sub-par units... :neutral: You're also right that they aren't seriously competitive. Hopefully they get better in the Codex but I'm not counting on it.


While I'd like to believe that the Codex will rebalance much of our units like Riptides, Broadsides and to a lesser extent Crisis Suits... I remember that we are not Space Marines. Therefore GW will not be giving us anything.


I was very surprised about the colossal buffs that Chaos got in their Codex. Chaos has been a very neglected faction in the past, always playing second fiddle to SM. Seeing a non-Imperium faction get such a polished and powerful book gives me a lot of hope. We'll see I guess.

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal
Posts: 75

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#9 » Aug 13 2017 01:50

:sad: Ive been scratching my head as to how to field a decent brigade at 2000pts when it comes to my heavy slots.
Part of the problem is i don't start at heavy choices and use up to many points i guess, I like hammerheads but three is pricy and same with sides. N as for this, i don't even own sniper drones.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal
Posts: 60

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#10 » Aug 13 2017 04:32

Arka0415 wrote:
I was very surprised about the colossal buffs that Chaos got in their Codex. Chaos has been a very neglected faction in the past, always playing second fiddle to SM. Seeing a non-Imperium faction get such a polished and powerful book gives me a lot of hope. We'll see I guess.



Chaos SPACE MARINES. See, that's the key phrase here. Tau are not Space Marines in any way shape or form. Remember who we're talking about: GW loves Space Marines so much they made their new Fantasy setting all about them.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#11 » Aug 13 2017 11:09

CelticBarbarian wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
I was very surprised about the colossal buffs that Chaos got in their Codex. Chaos has been a very neglected faction in the past, always playing second fiddle to SM. Seeing a non-Imperium faction get such a polished and powerful book gives me a lot of hope. We'll see I guess.



Chaos SPACE MARINES. See, that's the key phrase here. Tau are not Space Marines in any way shape or form. Remember who we're talking about: GW loves Space Marines so much they made their new Fantasy setting all about them.

Dude...your entire argument got invalid when CSM got some love. Yes they are Space Marines but they always got crap from GW in the past. You can't save yourself there. :D
Also to go a few steps further...before the the two broken formations for loyalist Marines, the top tier armies used to be Eldar, Necrons and T'au and even afterwards they could still compete with loyalist Marines.

Just stop the GW hating, please. It's not very constructive. ;)

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2184

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#12 » Aug 14 2017 01:25

Panzer wrote:Dude...your entire argument got invalid when CSM got some love. Yes they are Space Marines but they always got crap from GW in the past. You can't save yourself there. :D
Also to go a few steps further...before the the two broken formations for loyalist Marines, the top tier armies used to be Eldar, Necrons and T'au and even afterwards they could still compete with loyalist Marines.

Just stop the GW hating, please. It's not very constructive. ;)


The past few years have been very interesting in terms of who's getting the "GW love." Space Marines get plenty of cool toys, but in terms of sheer competitiveness armies like Eldar, Necrons, Daemons, and Tau started to get really good as well. Of course as Panzer said the crazy formations shook everything up (about when I stopped playing, haha) later on.

For new model releases, fun lore, and general "poster boy" status Space Marines are on top of course. I'm more interested in competitiveness and balancing however, and things are looking pretty optimistic!

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal
Posts: 60

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#13 » Aug 14 2017 07:39

Panzer wrote:Dude...your entire argument got invalid when CSM got some love. Yes they are Space Marines but they always got crap from GW in the past. You can't save yourself there. :D
Also to go a few steps further...before the the two broken formations for loyalist Marines, the top tier armies used to be Eldar, Necrons and T'au and even afterwards they could still compete with loyalist Marines.

Just stop the GW hating, please. It's not very constructive. ;)


Does the word "facetious" mean anything to you? :D

Though Matt Ward is still back, and we're getting a whole boatload of Space Marine variants codeices (Chaos, Grey Knights, Deathwatch etc.) before they even touch the Imperial Guard, let alone any Xenos races. Just saying, trading pure Ultramarines and GK focus for all variants of SM isn't that much of an improvement.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3548

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#14 » Aug 14 2017 07:47

CelticBarbarian wrote:
Panzer wrote:Dude...your entire argument got invalid when CSM got some love. Yes they are Space Marines but they always got crap from GW in the past. You can't save yourself there. :D
Also to go a few steps further...before the the two broken formations for loyalist Marines, the top tier armies used to be Eldar, Necrons and T'au and even afterwards they could still compete with loyalist Marines.

Just stop the GW hating, please. It's not very constructive. ;)


Does the word "facetious" mean anything to you? :D

Though Matt Ward is still back, and we're getting a whole boatload of Space Marine variants codeices (Chaos, Grey Knights, Deathwatch etc.) before they even touch the Imperial Guard, let alone any Xenos races. Just saying, trading pure Ultramarines and GK focus for all variants of SM isn't that much of an improvement.

Of course it does. Let me introduce you to some new concept to you then. Emotes. It helps showing people you aren't exactly serious about what you are typing on the internet since one can't tell from tone of your voice here. ;)
There are enough people who mean such stuff seriously.

User avatar
Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui
Posts: 555
Contact:

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#15 » Aug 14 2017 07:54

Just a note guys, this thread is about sniper drones. ;)

Czar Ziggy

Antao
Shas'Saal
Posts: 46

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#16 » Aug 14 2017 07:57

Back on topic here, I'm planning to run a unit of 6-7 sniper drones in my next match against my roomates IG. Along with my feeling that they are slightly over-costed the lack of the mortal wound component on the snipers makes me feel bad about taking them as I feel they are so situational they are basically list tailoring. I can't ever imagine wanting to take them against anything other than Imperial Guard (maybe Tyranids, though I haven't played them) Basically nix them against anything that comes standard with armor, and even then while it's nice to kill officers and stop orders from going out, they are really there to kill commissars. Last time we played I conceded by the bottom of 3 with no answer to the three 30 man conscript squads backed up by an officer and commissar each. I'd removed almost all of one squad with firewarriors, stealth suits, gun drones and flamer armed crisis suits but I'd dedicated so much of my army to dealing with them the other 60 rank amok across 2/3rd's of the battlefield. We also played with the new chapter approved rules, so by turn 3 he had 5 objectives and I only held onto the one in the corner I started on.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal
Posts: 60

Re: A use for sniper drones?

Post#17 » Aug 14 2017 08:20

I suppose they'd do well against Commissars, since those aren't especially tough characters, and they keep the Conscripts from running away. I'd say do that in conjunction with my Broadside fix. Maybe MAYBE throw in some Missile Drones. Though I'd also supplement them with what I call "Operation Quebeley": Deep Strike a full Crisis Suit team (With Flamers or Burst Cannons to save points), 2 gun drones apiece, and at least one drone controller. 72 Str5 shots hitting on 4+ (3+ with markerlights, but don't throw that many at conscripts unless you're out of important targets) will likely wreck those conscripts, and cause any survivors to flee. Just make sure you take out the commissars first.

Return to “Tau Tactics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lostroninsoul and 2 guests