gloss/glazes

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Overheal
Shas'Saal

gloss/glazes

Post#1 » Jul 13 2017 04:04

What is peoples advice on Ardcoat and things with Tau. I haven't used anything yet but wasn't sure anyone had experience using it, like just on lenses or on whole battlesuits and stuff.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: gloss/glazes

Post#2 » Jul 13 2017 04:39

Well I use ardcoat on all my Tau because I do a metallic green for all my armor. If photo bucket hadn't done it's dumb move of charging for hosting, I'd direct you to my galleries.

Czar Ziggy

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#3 » Jul 13 2017 06:31

I've experimented with a lot of different gloss effects for my inner circle entry earlier this year. A very watered down ardcoat was my initial choice, but on some models appeared to streak on flat surfaces. After trying 3 different methods I found a spray gloss to work the best. It applies very evenly and smooth. Make sure you get a gloss that specifically says is ok for plastic. A word of warning though, although it looks super cool, it will ALWAYS be sticky, no matter what kind of gloss you use. I'm not sure if there's another coat you can put over it or not to stop it from being sticky, but yeah...it's kind of annoying.

These pics are from before I started line highlighting and washing but you can see the before/after difference pretty well.

If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 14 2017 11:26

Yeah that's what I was concerned about... I've done this years prior with my Eldar Grav Tanks, just put poster-tac over the cockpits and used GW's old varnish sprays to seal them with.

I think in respect to what I've been thinking I'll limit its use to lenses and iconography and such

that broadside would look hella wicked after a nuln oil wash though! nice work

Return to “Painting & Artwork”