Wow, it's been a long time since I've updated this log. I've still been painting and modeling, but with school and work I haven't had the time for stuff online. Hopefully Gradschool won't be too much more of an effort. Without further delay:
The main project I've been working on has been getting all 80+ models of my space wolves painted. I took the time to paint several models in succession to show the beginning steps of the process.
1. Starting from the left I basecoated all the miniatures with a special paint mix I made specifically for my space wolves. For this I used an airbrush to quickly paint the grey horde.
2. With the basecoat applied I pre-shaded all the models with Space Wolf Grey, also with the airbrush
3. Since most of the bloodclaw/skyclaws in my army are reckless and avoid wearing their helmets I have lots of faces to basecoat with Tallarn Flesh. Even though I'm painting over a really dark color, the foundation paint quickly covers the blue even when thinned down.
4. The next step is to paint all the other light colored areas with Dheneb Stone.
5. With the Dheneb stone in place I basecoat all the red parts with Mechrite Red and all the yellow with Iyanden darksun. Red and yellow can be a real pain to paint but starting with a good foundation basecoat can really save you some time.
6. With all the foundations down I can then go over and get to my final colors with only 2-3 coats. Most of the Dheneb stone becomes Bleached Bone while the Mechrite red is covered by blood red (Don't worry this gets muddied up later). I'll have to recheck my yellow but I believe I used sunburst yellow to go over the Iyanden Darksun.