The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Discuss home-brewed rules and units with fellow Earth caste engineers.
Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Post#1 » Dec 01 2012 06:07

Here are links to Meleck's various contributions.

PDF
Campaign pages http://www.4shared.com/office/SEO_LRx4c ... np1-8.html
Armory http://www.4shared.com/office/OP9_0Shmc ... rmory.html

Hey everybody,

Ok, so having thoroughly enjoyed the single player missions in Dark Vengeance, I thought that I’d search the web for some more. I came across a fantastic mission involving IG over on dakkadakka which i adapted to use my gue'vesa. Having grown tired of waiting for him to make another one, I thought I'd make a whole campaign of single player missions, centred around a small group of elite firewarriors. These following missions take a quite a lot of inspiration from the IG mission I mentioned earlier.

This campaign is for Fireteam Kaon (my fireteam's name, you can call yours whatever you like) six veteran firewarriors who undertake several covert missions on the tribal planet of Tuirat.
Each of the members of Fireteam Kaon moves independently in kill team style (so out of coherency)
Hostile units follow a set patterns, as described below.
AI Behaviour Patterns
Charger:

Move towards closest enemy, check if within 12”, if so attempt a charge, if not, run towards closest enemy.

Skirmisher:
Move towards closest enemy, if within range, fire at closest enemy, if not, run towards enemy.

Defender:
Does not move or run, shoots at closest enemy. If armed with assault or pistol weapon and if within charge range, will attempt to assault enemy.

After every successful mission, the player is awarded points to spend in the armoury to give your team weapons and equipment.
I will post up the armoury later.
It will be up to you to keep track of the weapons of your soldiers and the number of points you have
It involves lots of indigenous warriors which are best represented with Lizardmen, but can be represented with anything. Kroot, Orks, Skaven, or even Tyranids!
I plan to add at least four chapters, with each chapter consisting of five missions.
First off a little bit of backstory and fluff.

Tuirat.
A heavily forested and verdant planet near to the Damocle Gulf. It is divided by hundreds of warring tribes of native saurians. The Tau are extremely interested in this world's abundant resources. For a few years, they supported the largest of the tribes who allowed the Tau to use the resources. Their leader, Tizlat, had accepted the greater good and the natives were well on their way to becoming members of the Empire.
When the Tau were pulled away due to a minor tyranid incursion, all hell broke loose. The Tau returned, to find the tribe they had supported for so long shattered, their leader in full retreat. Another group of natives had risen and they refused to negotiate with the Tau. It is now in their interests to restore Tizlat's power over Tuirat...

A year after the conflict on Tuirat started
A space faring ship hung in orbit of a small planet that was a little larger than earth. The ship was long and curved in shape. It looked very sleek and aerodynamic. A slogan in a xenos language was emblazoned along the side, and a strange symbol was present all over the hull. It was clearly outfitted for war and had enough weaponry to destroy a small space station in seconds. The inside of the ship appeared clean and sterile, the walls are once again covered with the strange logo. All was quiet, except for the bridge of the ship. Two alien figures stood in there, humanoid in shape but clearly not Homo Sapiens. One was dressed in battle armour and stands taller than the other, who was dressed in long flowing robes, covered in xeno symbols. They were deep in discussion.
The larger one spoke first, seemingly to a console in the middle of the room.
" Fireteam Kaon, are you in position?"
A disembodied voice replied from the console and the larger xeno nodded his approval.
The other alien said something. "Shas'O, will your commandos be able to keep our beloved Aun safe from harm?"
The Shas'O spoke once more, his voice weighed down with worry and regret. "Por'EL, keeping our spiritual leader safe will require nothing less than a miracle. Do not expect the might of a single fireteam to match that of an entire army of primitives. As I have said many times before, this meeting was a mistake."
The Por'EL's head bowed in shame, knowing it was he who had advised the Aun to meet the indigenous chieftain.
"But, if anyone can pull off this operation, it will be Fireteam Kaon."

All was still. The tension had silenced even Tuirat’s indigenous fauna. They watched on, from the shadows not daring to make a sound for fear of disturbing the fragile peace between the two sides. The Toloks, a strong humanoid saurian race who belonged on this world, and the Tau, who did not.
Three Tau stood in the forest clearing that had been chosen for diplomatic talks, surrounded by several dozen natives. Tehetza had clearly not honoured his side of the bargain.
“I thought we agreed on a bodyguard of two, warlord.” The speaker was the tallest of the xenos, who was clad in extravagant purple robes. He had a regal air about him, and clearly commanded a great deal of respect, and perhaps even devotion, from his two followers.
“They are my brothers; they are bonded to me through battle. To refuse them the right to guard my person would be disrespectful, alien. They belong here, unlike some.” The Tolok leader’s reply was accented with scorn. He spoke fluent Tau; as did almost all the natives on this planet, save for a few die hard traditionalists.
The Ethereal ignored the barely veiled insult and turned to his guards, gesturing for them to step back. They did so, reluctantly.
“Grand Warlord Tehetza,” The Aun’Vre spat the words out, using the flamboyant title in a way that made the warlord bristle with only just withheld anger. ”Scourge of the South. You offered a ceasefire with the request that you meet an Ethereal. As such, I am here to discuss terms.”
“Name your price, intruder!”
Aun’Vre Dym’at’el paused, taking a second to remember the much rehearsed words the Por’O had instructed him to say.
“Complete demobilisation against the Arzatl tribe, maximum disarmament, and the disbanding of several warbands. In return, the Pitzal-Vilt Passage shall be relinquished to your control, and all Tau military forces will move off Cuocaskan Temple, a site I believe you have great interest in.”
The Tolok stood still, and for the first time, Dym’at’el couldn’t tell what emotions possessed it. Normally these creatures displayed their full intentions and feelings, but this one was unpredictable. Again for the first time, the Tau leader feared this warlord.
The Tolok spoke calmly, and with purpose.
“Here is my answer.”
He embedded his blade in the hated alien’s chest, and found that the weapon met no resistance. Confused, the Scourge of the South attempted another killing blow. The Ethereal and his guards flickered, then disappeared leaving only a small black box behind.
“Trickery!” The barbarian screeched with rage. “These are ghosts, not aliens. Find them!”
His warriors joined him in his fury, building the sound up to a terrifying crescendo.

About half a mile away, the honour guards heard the noise and urged their charge to move faster.

Chapter 1: Not A Very Warm Welcome
Mission 1: Out of the frying pan...
Briefing:
Previously hostile warlord Tehetza has finally accepted peace talks with the condition that he talk to an ethereal. Acting against the advice of our millitary staff Aun'vre Dym'at'el has accepted. This is almost certainly a trap. Your mission is to get Dym'at'el back home in one piece.
Primary Objective: The Ethereal must reach the Devilfish (10pt reward)
Secondary Objectives: Kill Supreme Warlord Tehetza (5pt reward)
Both Honour Guards survive and reach the Devilfish (5pt reward)
The Game ends once all of Fireteam Kaon and Aun'vre Dym'at'el are onboard the devilfish

Friendly Forces:
Fireteam Kaon (6 firewarriors, 5 Shas'la and 1 Shas'ui, armed with either pulse rifles or carbines )
(Ethereal) Aun'vre Dym'at'el armed with symbols of office and two shield drones
Honour Guard armed with honour blade, pulse pistol and advanced failsafe detonator
Honour Guard armed with honour blade, pulse pistol and advanced failsafe detonator

Hostile Forces:
Native Warlord Tehetza with close combat weapons (+1 Attack) (Charger)
10 Native Warriors with close combat weapons (+1 Attack) (Charger)

Unit Profiles
Firewarrior (Fireteam Kaon)
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
2 4 3 3 2 3 2 7 5+ (Shas'la)
3 4 3 3 2 3 3 8 5+ (Shas'ui)

Special Rules:
Character
Hit and Run
Eternal Warrior
Supporting Fire

Advanced Wounding:
When a member of Fireteam Kaon suffers his first wound, roll a D6
1-2 A flesh wound. No further effect.
3-4 Shot in the leg. The firewarrior gains the Slow But Purposeful special rule
5-6 Concussed. The wounded warrior loses 1 BS and WS
These effects are only temporary and only last the duration of the current battle.

No One Left Behind
Should a member of Fireteam Kaon lose his last wound replace it with a marker. This marker can be picked up by another member of Fireteam Kaon who immediately gains the Slow and Purposeful special rule. If the marker reaches 3" of the Evac zone, it is removed. The player gains a +2 modifier on the Recovery D6 Roll for that character.
Recovery
At the end of the battle, roll a D6 for every member of Fireteam Kaon that lost its last wound
1 Killed in action. Any weapons or items the character was carrying are kept and the firewarrior is replaced with one of equal rank. 10 points are lost in order to find and outfit the new recruit. In addition, All surviving firewarriors must roll on the Vengeance! Chart.
2 Retired from active service. Any weapons or items the character was carrying are kept by the player and the firewarrior is replaced with one of equal rank. 10 points are lost in order to find and outfit the new recruit
3 Still Recovering. The soldier is unavailable for the next scenario, but returns to the squad with no extra effects after that.
4 Lost an eye/ear. The character permanently loses 1 BS and Initiative
5 A Slight Limp. The firewarrior loses 1" of movement in the movement phase permanently
6-8 Full Recovery

Native Warrior
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
4 2 3 3 1 3 1 7 -
Special Rules:
Furious Charge

Native Warlord
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
6 3 4 3 3 4 3 9 5+
Special Rules
Independent Character
Furious Charge
Fearless
Makes the unit he is with Fearless

Honour Guard
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
4 4 3 3 3 3 3 10 4+
Special Rules:
Character
Fearless
Counter Attack
Advanced Failsafe Detonator:
When the bearer of the advanced failsafe detonator loses his last wound he can choose to activate it. Place a blast template over him. The template has strength of 6 and an AP of 2. It does not scatter.

Deployment:
48" by 24" Board
Short end is placed towards player
Devilfish is placed in lower right corner 18"" from middle
Ethereal and Honour guard are placed in the centre
Fireteam Kaon deploy 12" away from middle on the bottom side
One unit of warriors is placed 12" from Ethereal, opposite Fireteam Kaon
Two more units are placed 6" behind the first unit
Another two units and Native Warlord are placed another 6" behind (Warlord is in one of the units)
Put lots of forests on to give the feel of a forest world and to give the indigenous warriors cover.
If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to ask. Reviews are very welcome
Last edited by Chillrend on Apr 08 2014 12:01, edited 13 times in total.

Arcani
Shas

Re: The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Post#2 » Dec 02 2012 05:41

Looks like a pretty solid base for future games, both in gameplay and in story. I have one question, you said its a Single player campaign, how would you go around playing this with one player? Would you role for your guys as well as your enemies, because I'm not very good at that :? .
39th Vash'ya Drop Contingent

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 02 2012 08:55

Yep thats right! Essentially Enemy units (unless stated otherwise in the scenario) folow a pattern of move, shoot if in range, run if not in range or charge if within 12". You roll for all of their attacks, wounds, saves etc. This could be adapted quite easily to use two players but I like these single player style missions because I only get to play maybe one short game a week. :sad: . Essentially the idea is that hostile armies will always outnumber you but act very stupidly, while you have to use tactics to win. Anyway thanks for the feedback, Mission 2 is up soon. If anyone could playtest this I would be very happy to know what you thought of it :D

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 02 2012 01:11

Mission 2 is up!

The red light of the sun advanced lazily over the horizon. It was the early hours of dawn, which, on the planet of Tuirat is a rather lengthy affair. Tuirat rotates abnormally slowly for such a small world, having a 51 hour day. It was also abnormally quiet. Shas’ui Ry’lat was fine with this. People didn’t die of silence. People died of horrific plasma burns or fast falling artillery shells or even improper grenade usage. All of these methods of death caused high volumes of sound. So the Shas’ui did not dislike the quiet, especially after the battle he’d just had. Two hours after and his body was still convulsing and shuddering from the high levels of adrenaline raised by the ordeal of dodging death so many times. Still, something wasn’t right. He could feel it in his bones. A sort of sixth sense, created by the need of escaping death’s cold embrace on a daily basis. The flying Devilfish juddered in mid air and Ry’lat was almost thrown off his feet.
The pilot apologised promptly, knowing that the weathered Shas’ui was not one to cross
“Sorry, sir. A bit of unexpected turbulence”
Ry’lat frowned, and shouted through to the transport bay
“Shas’la Nor’ri, report!
A voice replied “Everyone’s fine sir. The Aun’s a little bruised but nothing serious.”
The veteran nodded in approval. Nor’ri was a good soldier. He could make Shas’ui one day, even though he would never tell him so.
Something caught his eye. A flash, almost too small to be discounted, and a small round shape that Ry’lat had to squint to make out. Except, suddenly he didn’t have to squint anymore. The object was approaching fast. He opened his mouth to warn the pilot, but didn’t get past the first syllable. The last thing he saw was blue light filling his vision.

Briefing: After the successful extraction of Aun'vre Dym'at'el, Fireteam Kaon and Dym'at'el's Devilfish has crashed due to unknown circumstances. Intelligence reports that several indigenous lifeforms are inbound on their position. Your mission is the same as before. Get the Ethereal back home in one piece. There is a Communications Installation not far from your position. Get to it and call for Evac.

Friendly Forces:
Fireteam Kaon
Aun'vre Dym'at'el (unconcious)
Any surviving Honour Guards from mission 1

Hostile Forces:
10 Native Warriors with close combat weapons (Charger)
10 Native Warriors with Primitive Firearms (Skirmisher)

Primitive Firearm: 18” Strength 2 AP- Heavy 1

Primary Objective: Extract Aun'vre Dym'at'el (10pts)
Secondary Objective: Extract Both Honour Guards (5pts)

Scenario Special Rules:
The Devilfish pilot has been killed by the crash and the passengers have suffered injuries. At the start of the game roll a D6 for each member of Fireteam Kaon and any surviving Honour Guards. On a 4+ the soldier suffers a wound.
Aun'vre Dym'at'el has been knocked unconcious by a piece of shrapnel caused by the crash. Instead of using the Ethereal statline to represent him in this game, treat him in the same way as a downed member of Fireteam Kaon, as described by the No One Left Behind special rule
Every Enemy turn roll a D6. on a 5+, 10 Native Warriors with close combat weapons (Charger) arrive on the Eastern Board edge. On a 6, the Native Warriors are accompanied by a Native Warlord with close combat weapons (Charger)
In order to escape, FIreteam Kaon must reach 3" of the Comms Relay. Once that is achieved,a Devilfish will arrive after D3+1 turns. Board it to win

Deployment
24” by 48” board
Long end is placed facing towards the player
The Crashed Devilfish is Deployed in the centre of the board. Fireteam Kaon, Aun’Vre Dy’mat’el and the Honour Guards are deployed within 3” of it.
The Devilfish has crashed into a ravine or a valley. The top and bottom 6” of the board is impassable terrain,
The Valley turns into plains 18”left from the middle of the board. (so the top and bottom 6” are no longer impassable after that point)
The Comms Relay is placed 3” from the west board edge
The warriors with close combat weapons are placed within 6” of the east board edge
The warriors with primitive firearms are placed within 6” of the west board edge
Last edited by Chillrend on Jan 17 2013 11:01, edited 4 times in total.

Arc'Aroth
Gue

Post#5 » Dec 03 2012 12:22

I played through the first mission earlier and I did enjoy it. Everyone survived thanks to pinning. I brought two of the warriors with carbines and, other than the warlords unit, petty well kept anyone who got too close pinned. Never saw close combat, thankfully, and thanks to precision took out the warlord. There was an open feild leading to where the fish was and my bs 4 firewarriors made it a killing field XD. A couple lucky 6s and the warlord died, where upon I ducked into the fish.

One question: does the fish have weapons? I decided no and just played as terrain but that does not make a ton of sense. Surely the fish crews would want to save the ethereal. Adding the fish would probably make the mission too easy... just something to think about.

Afterwards I ran a close combat between two honor guard and a unit of natives and... well... mabey it was just my rolling but the 20 attacks the natives put out was more than enough to slay my poor honorguard. If the natives got the charge off.... init 4 might be recommended for the honor guaurd just so they strike first...

Other than that I did enjoy the game. Will there ever be vehicals in one of the missions? Like ones we control?

Or'es
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 03 2012 01:48

This does sound very solid and as a chef, I too have very little (sociable) hours to play with other people. I will be giving this a go for sure with an elite Fire warrior squad of my own.
Expect the worst. Prepare to win.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 03 2012 02:55

Thanks for the great feedback guys!
@Arc'Aroth
The fish does indeed have weapons but you can't use them :biggrin:
I do have my reasons for this however
1. As you said it might unbalance the game
2.Where does the limits of control stop? If you can argue that the Devilfish should be able to shoot, whos to say that it can't move as well? It wouldn't be much fun to watch groups of weak warriors trying to chip the paint of a fast moving skimmer
3. The Devilfish Gunship has landed in order to pick up the Tau. Evac is it's primary concern not popping a few savages :smile: . Also, todays gunships cannot fire accurately while on the ground. The Devilfish is essentially a futuristic transport helicopter. It needs to hover to fire, look at its burst cannon. It only fires underneath it.

The Thing about the honour guard is, Tau aren't I4. Even I3 is a step up for them and besides, I was worried about them being to powerful as it is. Yes they probably won't win against a full unit of warriors, but they're not meant to be killing machines. That's why i gave them the Advanced Failsafe Detonators. Also, I found that if the unit of warriors has been weakened to about half strengh first, they won't stand a chance against a single Honour Guard. I will playtest the mission again and consider I4 though. Perhaps giving them Counter Attack or Furious Charge might help.

I have to say, you must be a better player than me though, cause my team barely escaped with their lives and I lost both my honour guards. In fact, the only way I stopped the warlord was due to a couple of lucky overwatch shots.
Yes future missions will involve player controlled vehicles, but probably later on, when a few more advanced enemies have arrived.I plan on Fireteam Kaon having to reach a immobilised Hammerhead in order to stop an enemy armoured column.
Tell me what you think of mission 2.

@Or'es Thanks for commenting. I share your pain, my lack of games drove me to writing this campaign. Please, feel free to tell us about your experiences with these missions whenever you get round to playing them

@everyone. I hope you remember how many points you accummalated because the Armoury is going online soon. Just putting the finishing touches on now.

Arc'Aroth
Gue

Post#8 » Dec 03 2012 03:59

I think the main reason I did so well was because of pinning. A couple of kills with crabines and a fails leadership or two and that's the two closest groups of natives pinned. I lined the firewarriors up firing line style. And mowed the others down while moving 6" towards the fish and a few more pinning checks... I'm assuming that the natives act as squads. That right?

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Dec 03 2012 04:02

Good strategy. I didn't even think to bring carbines, and yes, the Natives do act as squads. Out of interest what did you use to represent the natives? I'm using my kroot until I can convert some Saurus Warriors.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Dec 03 2012 06:19

Each Member of Fireteam Kaon can carry up to 4.5 Weight Points. A -1" modifier in the movement phase is imposed on a member for each 0.5 Weight Points that his limit is exceeded by.
The Armoury
Infantry Armoury Cost Weight
Pulse Pistol 2/4pts 0.5/1.0
Pulse Rifle 5/8pts 1.5/2.0
Longshot Pulse Rifle 6/9pts 1.5/2.0
Pulse Carbine 5/8pts 1.0/1.5
Rail Rifle 15/22pts 3.0/4.0
Ion Rifle 20/25pts 3.0/4.0
Equalizer 10pts 1.0
Combat Armour 5pts
Photon Grenades 2pts
EMP Grenades 3pts
Flechette Grenades 5pts
Decoy Projector 5pts
HW Multi-tracker 10pts
HW Targeting Array 10pts
Stimulant Injector 10pts
Shield Generator 20pts
Enhanced Scope 10pts
Flamer Attachment 5/8pts 0.5/1.0
Target Acquisition System 10pts
Bionics 10pts
Medical Training 20pts
Markerlight 10pts
Endurance Training 20pts
Blacksun Filter 5pts
Target Priority Software 10pts
Counterfire Defence System 5pts
XV12 Armour 30ps

XV12 Armoury
Burst Cannon 10/15pts 1.5/2.0
Fusion Blaster 10/16pts 1.5/2.0
Flechette Discharger 15pts
Close Combat Attachments 10pts
Iridium Reinforced Carapace 25pts
Close Quarters Training 10pts
High Powered Thrusters 15pts
Onager Gauntlet 10pts 0.5
Vectored Retro Thrusters 10pts
Puretide Engram Neurochip 25pts
Repulsor Impact Field 15pts

Pulse Carbine: In addition to having the same profile as in the codex, any grenades used by a miniature armed with a pulse carbine are fired using the range of the carbine.
Flechette Grenades: 8" Str- AP- Blast (Poisoned 4+)
Decoy Projector: subtracts D6" from enemy charge range
Enhanced Scope: Adds 6" to weapon range (This includes Rapid Fire Range)
Target Acquisition System: Allows user to fire Overwatch at full BS
Bionics: Cancels negative effects from the Recovery roll
Endurance Training: +1 Wound to user
Medical Training: Gives all friendly units within 6" of the user the It Will Not Die special rule
XV12 Armour: The wearer gains a 3+ armour save, +1 Strength, +1 Initiative. Anyone in XV12 armour has 9.5 Weight points Becomes Jump Infantry (Jet Pack). Gains the Acute Senses special rule. Does not contain a stealth field generator. Does not come with any weapons attached. Soldiers wearing XV12 armour can use any items from the Infantry Armoury. Only those who wear XV12 armour can twin link weapons and have access to the XV12 Armoury.
Close Combat Attachments: +1 Attack
Iridium Reinforced Carapace: +1 to armour save, but Thrust move reduced to d6"
Close Quarters Training: +1 to Weapon Skill
High Powered Thrusters: Gives the Hammer of Wrath special rule to user
Markerlight: Markerlight shots can benefit either a single squad or up to six single member teams (Monats)
Target Priority Software: All rolls to hit by the user are Precision Shots
Puretide Engram Neurochip: May only be chosen once per fire team

A couple of notes on purchases from the armoury. For one, points are reusuable e.g. If I have 10 pts and buy a Markerlight to use in Mission 3, I can use those same 10pts to buy an Enhanced Scope for mission 4.

Fireteam Kaon are automatically equipped with either Pulse Rifles, Pistols or Carbines at the beginning of the scenario. The weapons in the armoury are additional weapons to the automatic free ones.

Nothing in the Armoury can be taken more than once by a single firewarrior

Please don't hesitate to raise any misunderstandings or issues. Well thought out additions and changes are welcome
Last edited by Chillrend on Apr 09 2013 11:40, edited 8 times in total.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#11 » Dec 03 2012 07:21

Having been a solo player for a couple of years, I support this idea. Enjoy the new title graphic ;)

Forgot to add : Laughing Ferret's Draniki Saurus conversions - should suit well. :)

- Tael.

Arc'Aroth
Gue

Post#12 » Dec 03 2012 09:21

Chillrend wrote:Good strategy. I didn't even think to bring carbines, and yes, the Natives do act as squads. Out of interest what did you use to represent the natives? I'm using my kroot until I can convert some Saurus Warriors.

I've been using guardsmen. I figured that humans are very common in the galaxy, even low tech ones, that aren't always part of the imperium.

Also, aren't Saurus t4?

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Dec 04 2012 02:52

Chillrend wrote:The Armoury
Nothing in the Armoury can be taken more than once by a single firewarrior.

Just a note, with 6th ed, dual wielding pistols has an effect, you might consider allowing a second pistol to be taken in replacement of the rifle/carbine. I know I have a firewarrior Shas'Ui with dual pistols modeled just for funzies.

Also, consider armor upgrades. Iridium Plating, XV-15 suit, etc. Obviously you don't want them in XV-8's, but an XV-15 with burst cannon is always fun. I'd price it steep so that it's a 'late game' purchase but still...

Though I might be biased toward XV-15 commandos after all the stories I wrote.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Dec 04 2012 06:59

@Tael Thanks for the name change. Chillrend is what I go by on my other forums and is also the name of my Shas'o, so I'm less likely to forget it :) . The graphic is... amazing! It alone has inspired the storylines for a few missions. Thank you.
The Draniki are exactly what I was looking for. A quick and easy conversion that looks fantastic. I can't believe how natural the kroot arms look on the miniature. The best part is though, I could use them as counts as Kroot or even Orks down at the club.

@Arc'Aroth Yes, Saurus are T4, but the only other lizard based minatures are Skinks, and they are far too weedy for what I have in mind :smile: .

@Nevar Good Point. The reason I had that rule was because I din't want players repeatedly taking some items e.g. the Targetting Array or Endurance Training. But, I have to admit, the idea of dual wielding pulse pistols has taken hold of me. Ok, I'm changing it to one of the starting weapons.

On XV15's. The thing is, the campaign you see today is a stripped down version of a far more complex one. The old version involved hiring mercenaries, experience and even XV8s, but i found that "more is less", and removed a lot of stuff. I am very cautious about making those mistakes again.

However, I do agree that Fireteam Kaon need some kind of armour upgrade. Perhaps a advanced version of an XV15, which allows the use of pulse rifles and carbines and unlocks twin linked weapons. Yes, I will definitely add something like that in the near future.

By the way,I haven't seen these stories. Are they on ATT?

@everyone Stay Sharp, because mission 3 is in the works. It should go up later today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback and support, I really appreciate it.

Arcani
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 04 2012 08:29

Wow :eek: , post reply to a cool thing and suddenly its exploded. Never underestimate the power of ATT ;) . Looks like its coming along well, I'm going to retry the first mission with the new weapons and such. Might be a bit easier, lost both Honor Guards, one Fire Warrior died and another got wounded and knocked out.
39th Vash'ya Drop Contingent

Arc'Aroth
Gue

Post#16 » Dec 04 2012 02:24

So I attempted the second mission last night after kitting out my guys to some extent. I did manage to get all 20 points from the first mission so my guys were feelin pretty good. Here's my group at the moment:

It should be noted that my fire warriors are the guardsmen with pulse rifles from my modeling thread, and the honor guard are IG Sargents. I thought about naming them, but after this mission... well.... just read on :P.

Fire Warrior: Pulse carbine w/ flamer attachment
Fire Warrior: Pulse carbine w/ flamer attachment
Fire Warrior: Pulse carbine
Fire warrior: Pulse rifle
Fire Warrior: pulse rifle
Fire warrior: pulse rifle

Honor Guard: Honor blade & decoy projector
Honor Guard: honor blade & decoy projector

They may have been feeling pretty good, however.... things did not go so well. My primary objective was to take out the fire arm wielding natives, as they stood between myself and the comms relay. Two of my pulse rifle warriors suffered a wound in the crash, along with my just carbine warrior.

I let one of the honor guard carry the ethereal and the other lead the way to the west. Things went well in the first turn, only got in single tap range with the pulse rifles, but still cut down a number from one of the fire arm squads and it ran off the board. Did one pulse carbine wound to the other squad, but they passed their pinning check. The CC natives rolled 6s on their run, then the remaining fire arm squad fired on my injured carbine warrior, got like 15 hits(!), which turned into 4 wounds, and took him down. To add insult to injury another squad of natives came on the board.

Next turn I had a rifle warrior carry the downed carbine warrior, and returned fire on the last fire arms squad. I did some damage, another 3 killed i think, and they failed their panic, but only ran 2 inches >.<

On their turn they rallied and opened fire themselves, doing a couple wounds to the leading honor guard (I remembered to actually get him out front). The nearest cc natives attempted to charge my trailing honor guard and failed their charge, only thanks to the decoy generator thingy.

I moved my honor guard into charge position and finally got to the comms relay with a fire warrior, then proceeded to roll a 3, meaning 4 turns till the fish arrived >.<. I don't want to go over all of them, but it basically went like this:

Natives charged honor guard who held them off for a turn. More natives came on the board edge EVERY SINGLE TURN! Flamer attachments helped in overwatches, but, in the end, I lost 3 more firewarriors and only the ethereal and one of my flamer carbine firewarriors were drug out of there, by two pulse rifle warriors.

The flamer carbine lived, but the one I had to leave behind died. One pulse rifle guy is now bs 3 and init 1, and the sole carbine has a limp....

not sure what to do with the honor guard...

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#17 » Dec 04 2012 02:36

Chillrend wrote:On XV15's. The thing is, the campaign you see today is a stripped down version of a far more complex one. The old version involved hiring mercenaries, experience and even XV8s, but i found that "more is less", and removed a lot of stuff. I am very cautious about making those mistakes again.

However, I do agree that Fireteam Kaon need some kind of armour upgrade. Perhaps a advanced version of an XV15, which allows the use of pulse rifles and carbines and unlocks twin linked weapons. Yes, I will definitely add something like that in the near future.

By the way,I haven't seen these stories. Are they on ATT?

Note that it is never stated that XV-15's can't use pulse rifles already, our models just have them with an arm mounted burst cannon or fusion, but like the XV-8 which has hands we don't get to really play with, I'd imagine the weapons on the XV-15 are not integrated into the suit. No other suit integrated the weapon systems, so I don't see it being that way with what is essentially up-armored carapace with a jump jet. Therefore, you can go the route I did in my fiction where XV-15 'commandos' use all kinds of awesome weapons.

Also, the stories are up here on the website, the first one is [Fiction] Twice Removed and the follow up stories are linked at the end of each in a 'series' type fashion.

Your missions are awesome stuff, and reminded me of my team from the fiction. Iridium Reinforced Carapace armor could give the firewarriors a 3+ save without upgrading any other stats perhaps. But the stealth fields and jet pack are just amazingly good in 'Kill Team' like missions. Which is why I would recommend making them halluva expensive so players have to sacrifice upgrades across the team or invest in one, or wait until really late in the campaign to be able to afford them.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Dec 04 2012 04:51

Ok Mission 3 is almost done, just need to reread it and write a little bit of background.

@Nevar I've added the XV12 Special Operations Armour and a host of items for it, which I think you'll be pleased with. I've also made Pulse Pistols a starting weapon as per your request and points are now reusable. Thanks for your input, and tell me how you get on with the first scenario.

Oh and I remember your fiction now. I read it back when I didn't have an account and really enjoyed it :D It always pleases me when Tau manage to best those nasty Tyranids. Unfortuanately my poor firewarriors always end up as lunch when I face them on the tabletop :sad:
Thanks for the good feedback and I think you'll like the next mission (It's a very stealthy one)

@Arc'Aroth Oh no it sounds like a blood bath. Those poor firewarriors :::( . I suppose the campaign really lived up to its name :P . So do you think the scenario was too hard? It seems to me that a lot of what happened was due to bad luck. I haven't fully playtested this one so I need your input. In my view I could drop the Devilfish arrival time to one or two turns and reduce the number of squads with Primitive Firearms to one. Or perhaps I could increase th board length by 24", so the Native Reinforcements would have less of an impact. You are allowed to retry missions with no ill effects to try and improve your score and number of survivors. Sorry, I didn't want to discourage you by giving you an impossible mission. By the way, did you get any Native Warlords coming on the board? By the way, I'm giving the Honour Guards Counter Attack. If Aun'va's guards have it, why can't Dym'at'el's?

@Arcani I know, how great is ATT? Its community is fantastic! Thanks for trying the mission, but as Arc'Aroth proved, its a good idea to bring a couple of Pulse Carbines. The trick is not to get charged but thats easier said than done. I myself lost both Guards and only killed the Warlord due to a lucky overwatch.

@Everyone Anyway Mission 3 up tomorrow, but again, thanks for all your support. Its the thing that motivates me to keep making missions.

Return to “Experimental Rules Lab”