The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Discuss home-brewed rules and units with fellow Earth caste engineers.
Meleck
Shas'Saal

Re: The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Post#127 » Sep 12 2013 03:28

I'm working on the map for Mission 5: Cuocuskan Temple. Right now there is no mention of the temple footprint. Asking Chillrend, he was expecting a footprint equivalent to the bastion with a 6 inch radius circle around the bastion. That amounts to an 18" footprint. Looking at the map with this information, I though the landscape was a little bare. Basically, 48" by 48" with only a bastion in the middle. A little boring. One can always work with that and add elements as he sees fit.

I'm suggesting a modification to the map. Looking at the 18" inch footprint. I suggest making a lizard man temple with a footprint of 18" with stairs bringing the total footprint to 23". The temple is 9 inch tall with three levels each 3" tall and has a 6" square flat top. This makes it a little higher than the bastion and keeps the deployment zone similar. The terrain specification can say that the temple outside of the 6" deployment of the Tau is booby trapped with claymore mines and trip wires. The 6" area around the deployment zone is still considered dangerous terrain. The 3" tiers makes it look like a hill and causes problems for figs moving into the terrain not having the 3" movement required to climb to the next level.

What do you people think? Which one should be the documented map? I like the temple but it does require more hobby work? I don't even mind creating a tutorial to make the temple. I think it's rather straightforward. And, while I don't have the complete timeline of the campaign, it might be a re-usable piece of terrain as the fluff does say that it is an important location.

P.S.: I have also created a map with an alternate background. After doing the planet image, I created a map with a dark background so that the blue would come out stronger.

Ko'vahn
Shas

Post#128 » Sep 13 2013 05:58

Ok, I like the alternate colour scheme much better, much more visible.

Sorry I haven't been as involved as of late, I just seem to have less time now and other projects are vying for attention, it's not like I'm that integral a part of the team, but if you need anything from me, just drop me a line.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#129 » Sep 14 2013 04:33

I agree, the inverted scheme is far more legible. Perhaps an icon for unit placement with a legend? The text gets a little lost.

Good work all said though :D

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#130 » Jan 23 2014 03:55

So this topic hasn't seen any activity since I believe Sept. of 2013. Is there any interest still in a compilation of the published missions with maps, FAQ and such?

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#131 » Jan 23 2014 09:24

Yep, I'm still doing work on it but at a slower pace. The desire is still there.
Part of it being that I wasn't sure what were some of the elements in the missions. I'm still working on my own version of some of the items and as the missions progress I have to make up for some of the definitions. The mission I'm currently working is mission 8 - Surprise or what I retitled The Caravan. The problem that I had is that there isn't a lot of details for the draks and their goads. I know now they are using the same footprint as a krootox which I believe is kinda small. I think that using a beast on a rider base would work better. Either that or I have to come up with a walker type animal and provide more definition. I don't have a lot of codexes (Space Marine 5th, Tau 6th, Catachan 4th, IG 4th and 5th, and Tyranid 4th and 5th. so my range of possible references is limited. But now that you are making me write this, I'm thinking that I should be looking at the Tyranid codex for beast references.

I have to create the map which is very sparse in details. I had started this and then got to work on something else.
Chillrend sent me the guidelines for the other missions and I am very interested in working on them but since the topic had so little feedback, I kinda dropped off as well. It's a vicious circle. No sense in working and publishing if no one is listening but then no one listens if no new stuff is created.

For the next missions, if people are willing to help I might have a few questions. Mostly regarding the latest Inquisition Codex. I have the Gray Knight codex but it`s in French and it hurts my eyes and my sensitivities even if French is my mother tongue. I believe Chillrend was thinking of maybe integrating a Battlefleet Gothic mission but I know nothing of the game and not really willing to learn. I know the game is free and available but I believe I should finish reading the 6th edition rulebook before.

Having people asking for updates drives me on and I am very interested in continuing to work on this campaign. But I do have to juggle life, work, painting, sculpting (those draks are interesting), converting (Lizardmen to Tolok), conceptualizing and building terrain, drawing the maps, and writing the campaign. Oh, don't get me wrong I LOVE doing this stuff and I could do that all day long. But as most of you know and have to deal with, there are other more mundane obligations such as earning a living. As I said, I am taking donations.

If you have read the PDF that I created, comments would be welcome. Even positive comments to the fact that you want more.

DARN, the links to the PDFs are dead. I'm working with Battlescribe and I wonder if it didn't kill my files. I'll restore those files and you can see their current state.

They are now on my 4shared account.
Campaign pages http://www.4shared.com/office/SEO_LRx4ce/The_Tuirat_Campaignp1-8.html
Armory http://www.4shared.com/office/OP9_0Shmce/The_Tuirat_CampaignArmory.html

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#132 » Feb 06 2014 07:15

I'm working on Mission 8 - Surprise (Renamed The Baggage Train) and I was looking at the deployment of the Chargers.
Every turn D3 units of Native warriors with close combat weapons (Charger) appear on the northern and southern board edges, alternating between the two.

I'm proposing an alternative method (read: random) to determine where these units appear on the board.

Here is my suggestion:

If you want to randomize where the units appear. I can suggest three ways. (As always, you can improvise your own. Like Duh.)

One: roll a D6 to know in which 12” section of the game board these Toloks will appear (1 being closer to the eastern edge and 6 being closer to the western edge).

Two: More complex. From the center of the friendly forces, roll 2D6 for each unit:

Code: Select all

2-3    24” east of the friendly forces
    4-5    12” east of the friendly forces
    6-8    Level with the friendly forces
   9-10    12” west of the friendly forces
   11-12   24” west of the friendly forces
The forces still appear on the northern or southern board edges alternatively.

Three: Simple. Roll 2D6 of different colors. One is the edge and the other is the distance from the center of the friendly forces. For the edge, 1-3 is the northern edge and 4-6 is the southern edge. For the distance,

Code: Select all

1    24” east of friendly forces
    2    12” east of friendly forces
   3-4   Level with friendly forces
    5    12” west of friendly forces
    6    24 west of friendly forces
By letting the die roll determine the side, it avoids the tendency to waver from side to side to avoid possible incoming groups. It may make the battle a little bloodier though.

As always, awaiting comments. Good and Bad. I like both but I prefer the good constructive ones. A comment just telling me you like this is fine as well. It drives my mojo to continue working on these missions.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#133 » Feb 06 2014 09:37

This is fascinating stuff. Your dedication is really impressive, Meleck, and your taste in visuals is impeccable! Keep up the great work!

As soon as I have enough Kroot modeled, I'm totally going to try this. This is delightful.

Thank you. :biggrin:

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#134 » Apr 01 2014 05:15

I'm currently working (progress is awfully slow but there is progress.) on mission 11A which is inside a ship. I'm thinking of doing a Zone Mortalis style map and I need your opinions. What size Zone Mortalis board should I do. I'm currently looking at 3' by 5' but I'm thinking that 4' by 6' would also work. I've never played with Zone Mortalis but these rules are great for what the setting of Mission 11.

If I do a Zone Mortalis style map, I'll be using the 8 tiles available from Forge World.

A 3' x 5' map will have small rooms. A 4' x 6' will have larger rooms and some small rooms. I'm keeping the corridors lengths small to avoid the firing lane feeling.

Either that or do something like a Space Hulk style map. I don't really like that idea because it's very limiting as a map. There aren't enough players for such a mission.

For those who don't know the mission. The members of Team Kaon must reach three key systems (objectives) to fulfill their mission.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#135 » Apr 08 2014 12:09

Adding Meleck's contributions to the first page. Doing a little spring cleaning over the next couple days. Bear with me while I trawl through the topic, implementing the various changes I forgot to do. Will also be making a new topic for just the missions, no chit chat, so as to be easier to read for newcomers. Please inform me if I miss anything.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#136 » Apr 08 2014 02:39

@Chillrend: I updated the maps for the missions 1 through 10. The Tau blips now show up as blue and the enemies as yellow. Do you want me to forward them to you?

Still working on the various aspects of these but it gets hard. I want to do the text for mission 9 but I have a mindblock on getting this ready.

Still working on my Tolok miniatures and on the Draks.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#137 » Apr 08 2014 03:16

Please Meleck. That would be excellent. Thanks again for your interest in this thread.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#138 » Apr 09 2014 06:50

The maps have been sent via PM.

You were asking if you forgot anything. An improvement would be to provide the size of anything that is outside of the norm such as the size of the draks (base size) and the size and shape of buildings.

Thanks and don't hesitate to ask for anything that I may contribute. It's always a pleasure.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#139 » Aug 21 2014 11:52

Still thinking and working on this adventure. Believe it or not.

I'm trying to write up the fluff for mission 9. I have a problem with the set-up of this mission. It mentions a village 6 inches from the southern edge with battlements. I don't know how to set up the village. It looks like it is meant to be a fortified place from which to adopt a defensive position.

Chillrend? Do you have some pointers on how to set up that village? Or can I take the rein on making changes to the story and the background?

If anyone has any pointers, I'd take them.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#140 » Sep 17 2014 10:00

If anyone is interested, here is my fluff for Mission 9: The battle of Gemini hill. I am renaming the mission to The Battle of Gemini sector in my PDF.

So work on the Tuirat campaign is still going on at a much slower pace that I would like.

-------------------------------------

Mission 9: The Battle of Gemini sector

"Piranha school Alpha, move in to sector Gemini 45. Devilfish shiver Epsilon accompanying. Remember, sector is hot."
"Copy. Piranha school Alpha exiting sector Gemini 55 and moving in to sector Gemini 45. School leader over and out."
The fronds of the jungle wave as the piranhas of school Alpha pass over in loose formation. In the eight piranhas moving in tandem, the weapon system officers maintain their attention on their short and long range scanners while the pilots are maintaining their patrol route over the area.
This sector was speckled with small settlements of little known importance but an abnormal amount of traffic had been observed lately. The size and nature of that traffic was unclear and intel needed to be gathered to obtain a clearer picture of the situation. Stealth suits alone couldn't cover a large enough area so a school of piranhas supported by a skyray and four devilfish transports transporting FireTeam Kaon and a small unit of Tolok warriors, a squad of FireWarriors, and a squad of Pathfinders would canvas the area. Such a force could deal with any opposition they encountered.
"School leader to shiver leader. Bogie sighted. Tolok warriors, north-west of our position, heading north. Awaiting orders."
"Alpha 3 to school leader. Bogie confirmed. Heading north toward settlement at sector Gemini 25. Awaiting orders."
"Shiver leader to Alpha school. Maintain contact but do not engage. Shiver is en route to your location. Settlement in sector Gemini 25 is on the patrol route of Stealth Team Mu"
"Alpha 5 to school leader. New bogie sighted and confirmed. South west of our position, heading west. Awaiting orders."
"Shiver leader to School leader. Keep bogies in sight. Alpha school, split and maintain sight with corresponding bogies. Stay out of weapons range. Respect pathfinder protocol. "
"School leader to shiver leader. Shas'O, is it sound to split the school?"
"School leader, as long as we maintain pathfinder protocol and do not engage, the risk is minimal. HQ needs this information on troop movements in the area. I repeat. Split and maintain contact. Respect pathfinder protocol. Shiver leader out."
"Copy Shas'O. School leader to Alpha 2, 3, and 4. Join up and adopt Rra formation. Maintain contact but do not engage. Alpha 5, 6, 7, and 8, regroup under Alpha 5 as Alpha'N school. Alpha 5, you're Alpha'N school leader."
"Shiver leader to Devilfish Kaon and Rho, support Alpha'N school to the west. Shiver is moving to bogies to the north.
"Devilfish Kaon to Alpha'N School leader. Copy on Rra formation. Adopting tail fin position."
"Devilfish Rho to Alpha'N School leader. Copy on Rra formation. Shadowing Kaon's position."
"Alpha 5 to School leader. Copy. Alpha'N adopt and maintain Hir'ex formation."
As the piranhas of Alpha'N school veer off to the west, the remaining piranhas move north and fan out in a crescent shape to watch over any directions their prey might take. Slowing their speed to match the Tolok's, the piranhas are almost silent as they skim the top of the low vegetation. No other bogies are sighted as the piranhas follow their prey to the settlement where the Tolok group disperses into smaller groups and moves further north pass the settlement.
"Alpha leader to school. Our sensor sweeps indicate the settlement ahead is deserted. Please confirm sensor readings and report."
"Alpha 2 to school leader. Sensor sweep confirmed. Bogies to the north still moving north."
"Alpha 3 to school leader. Sensor sweep confirmed. No other bogies sighted."
"Alpha 4 to school leader. Sweep confirmed. One bogie still on sensors north east, still moving north."
"Copy alpha school. Move in slowly up to settlement edge. Contacts are uncertain. Weapons free."
'Stealth Leader Mu to Alpha school. Acknowledging presence 1 tor'kan north west of your current location. Set transponder frequency to Mu Theta Phi. Do you require assistance?"
"Alpha leader to Mu leader. Copy. Setting transponder frequencies. Assistance appreciated. Requesting recon on settlement east of your location?"
"Affirmative Alpha leader. Recon request confirmed. Mu leader out."
'Alpha leader to school. Hold position. Go low and wait for further instructions."
"Alpha school leader to Shiver leader. Contact established with Mu stealth team. We are holding position awaiting report from Mu team before moving further. Current position secure, you can move up to our location."
"Copy school leader. Shiver moving up to your position."
The Tau piranhas sink lower into the vegetation as Mu team enters the settlement. Weapons officers watch the progress of the stealth team on their sensors as the three member team moves through the settlement in a precise search pattern. Tor'leks to the south, the devilfishes and skyray move further north to close the distance between them and the piranhas confident the settlement and the forest will hide them from the Toloks insurgents still heading north.

"Mu leader to Alpha leader. Settlement is clear. Nothing peculiar to report. Mu team is moving further east and pursuing with recon patrol."
"Copy Mu leader. Alpha school move up slowly, we don't want to leave traces of our presence."
"Shiver leader to school leader, the buildings are too close together. We need to go around the settlement. Going over may compromise our cover. Devilfish Prion, circle around the east side. Skyray I'ura and us will circle around the west side. Rendezvous at the northern edge of the settlement."
"School leader to Shiver leader, we copy, Rendezvous location received. Alpha school, lower speed, spread out, and stay sharp."

Moving at a speed slightly greater than someone walking at a brisk pace, the piranha school passes the empty sentry towers made from the local trees and enters the settlement of oblong buildings of interwoven branches covered in dry mud. Looking for any indication on the importance of this settlement, the piranhas adopt a separate path to cover more ground. Going under the thatched roofs of frond leaves, the Tau warriors lower their piranhas to but a few inches from the ground to be able to see through the doors of each building.
The Tau warriors notice dried mud resting at the base of the walls exposing the interwoven branches and main structure of the huts, the wet leaves of the roofs leaking into the settlements, and the absence of cooking ware, weapons, and tools. The village was obviously abandoned for a while now.

As the Piranha school nears the northern edge of the town, a small detonation followed by a bigger one are heard. The comm also suddenly explodes.

"Shiver leader to Alpha. Hit confirmed. Explosive. Source unknown. Crippling damage to devilfish. Reporting numerous casualties. Zone is red hot. Alpha school, intel on enemy movement urgently needed."
"Skyray I'ura reporting. Explosion of leader starboard engine. No bogies in sight. Sensors are clear. Attack origin unknown. Maintaining position."
"Alpha school reporting. Confirming sensors are clear and settlement is empty. Alpha 2 and 3 move in to support. Alpha 4 with me, moving northward. Refresh status on hostile movement."
"Alpha 2 copies. Moving west."
"Alpha 3 copies. Moving west."
"Alpha 4 copies. In tow."
"Devilfish Prion reporting. No contact established. Moving to rendezvous. Sensor range increased. Pathfinder team ready to deploy."
The Tau vehicles spur forward in search of the source of the attack and to support their comrades. Weapon officers riveted to their short and long range sensors still puzzled and pondering why they had not detected the threat.
On devilfish Prion, Shas'La K'assai is the first note to notice the flux.
"Shas'Ui, faint spikes in magnetic activity and power readings detected. It's covering the area like nodes in a web."
The Shas'Ui doesn't waste any time relaying the information.
"Devilfish Prion to Alpha, network of magnetic sensors detected in and around the settlement. Suggesting gaining altitude to reduce signature."
"Shiver leader to Prion, Acknowledged. Ascend to safe distance, move to rendezvous point, then disembark Pathfinders to scout the area with short range sensors to evaluate and, if possible, disarm threat."

Still within the settlement, the lead pair of piranhas ascends rapidly over the roofs of the buildings and accelerates rapidly forward to close the distance between alpha team and the Tolok insurgents. Maintaining stealth is now obviously irrelevant. The explosion took care of negating that tactical advantage. Gathering intel on enemy movement is now the primary goal. The importance of evaluating if contact with the insurgent is avoidable and, if not, what forces they would face isn't lost on the leader. Intent on their new objective, the pair zoom forward leaving the rest of alpha team to deal with the current situation.

Closing in on the position of the Shas'O at the western border of the settlement, Kith'ara increases the strength of the anti-gravity pods of her piranha to gain altitude.
Following Kith'ara's piranha, Taro'La sees the ground burst under his comrades' vehicle sending a small circular object upward. The object strikes the hull and bursts into lightning and thunder. The concussive force of the explosion pushes the tail of the lead piranha upward, shreds the metal, and destroys the hind part of the port engine. The piranha pitches forward, strikes the ground, and tumbles into the forest at the edge of the settlement.
Taro yells "Gravity mines", slams the brakes not to ram the lead piranha and its occupant, and reverses his climb to avoid triggering the explosive devices hidden in the ground.
Even with the sudden jolt, Taro can feel the small thump under his port wing. In anticipation of the blast, he turns his head to shield his face and, for the benefit of his partner, shouts "We're tagged."
The explosion tears the underside of the wing. Torn from its mooring, the gun drone flies out of control to crash into a tree trunk. Already engaged in a downward motion, the piranha flips over as the force of the explosion pushes one side of the skimmer violently upward. In the rotation, the starboard wing slams into the ground. The gun drone folds and splits in the middle just like a fava cookie shared between friends. Slowed by the impact of the wing with the ground, the piranha simply rolls over on its back; its shaken occupants held upside down by their safety harnesses.

"Shiver leader to Alpha. Gravity mines reported. Shut down anti-gravity generators and ground the vehicles."
"Devilfish Prion to shiver leader. Setting down. Pathfinders ready to deploy."
Devilfish Prion slowly drops to the ground; the hatch doors on its side and at its back opening to let the pathfinders quickly disembark. Eager to help their comrades and disarm the threat of the gravity mines, the first of the pathfinders jump out of the devilfish as the transport is still inches from the ground. As the devilfish touches down and rests its weight on its support struts, charges detonate beneath the vehicle. Caught between the ground and the hull of the devilfish, the blast bursts outward and fatally propels the pathfinders on the ground away from the landing site. The hatch doors, blown back by the tremendous force of the blast, smash into the unfortunate Tau warriors about to disembark.

"Shiver leader to Devilfish Prion, report. I repeat Devilfish Prion, report. Shiver leader to Alpha school leader. Status report on Toloks movement?"
"Alpha school to shiver leader. Closest Toloks group is rapidly moving back to your position, expected contact in a 15 to 20 rai'kor."
"Shiver leader to school leader, engaging the Tolok with harassment tactics. try to keep them away until Alpha can reinforce our position. Avoid area because of gravity mines."
"Alpha shiver leader to Alpha'N, regroup to sector Gemini 25. In need of assistance. Devilfish and piranhas down. Multiple casualties. Gravity and vehicle mines in vicinity. Area only safe on foot."

"Mu leader to Alpha Shiver leader, sending one member of the team to support Devilfish Prion. Remainder of the team will intercept Tolok forces from the north to support school leader. Acknowledge."
"Shiver leader to Mu, assistance acknowledged. Transponders still active. Proceed."
"Shiver leader to I'ura, adopt protective position at the head of the position. Take the long way around to avoid possible mines. Reduce anti-gravity to minimum."
"Copy shiver leader, skyray en route."

The Tau missile platform glides slowly in a wide circle around the settlement. As the distance with the settlement increases and the distance to their destination diminishes, the grav tank increases its speed while keeping its altitude steady. Sensors at the maximum, the weapons officer of the Skyray can now glimpse the small energy spikes coming from the ground around the settlement. Clearing the gravity mine field, the pilot climbs into the jungle canopy to increase the range and effectiveness of its ordnance. As she looks around, she notices a glint of metal in the high branches of the trees. Were these metal cables in the trees?
The answer to her question comes in the searing white flash of a melta bomb attached high in the trees right in front of her. Melting the shielded glass of the canopy and entering the cabin, the heat deals a swift death to the pilot. The weapons officer isn't as lucky as the super-heated air in the cabin burns through his lungs and welds his armor to his blistering skin.
Now without a crew, the skyray tilts forward and dives into the ground to rest its nose embedded into the dirt, its belly lying onto the vegetation like a great knarloc at rest, and its end standing up like the end of a beast drinking at a water hole.

"Devilfish Kaon to shiver leader. Alpha'N en route at top speed. Fireteam Kaon and Tolok'vesa in support. Alpha'N piranha school will join with Alpha school."
"Shiver leader to Alpha'N. Copy. Devilfish Prion also in need of assistance. Life signs detected but contact lost. Skyray I'ura has been hit. No life signs detected but ordnance is intact."

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Re: The Tuirat Catastrophe - Chapter 3

Post#141 » Oct 15 2014 09:39

Work is progressing on the Tuirat campaign. I'm looking at the first mission of the Third chapter. It involves three objectives in what is described as a zero-G environment battle.

I was thinking of making it a Zone Mortalis game but now I'm not so sure. It could also be an "outside" game where the three objectives are on the hull of the ship. The area would then have a more "industrial" feel. It would be more of a standard terrain setup other than Zone Mortalis.

If anyone is still interested in the campaign, which one would interest you more?
( ) Zone Mortalis type terrain
( ) Standard terrain setup with a spaceship hull theme.

Dsurion
Shas

Post#142 » Mar 28 2017 11:15

I know this topic is years old, but I'm having trouble downloading the files in the first post. By some miracle would anyone still have them?

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#143 » Mar 29 2017 08:33

I still have them since I'm the one that created the files. I'll do you a solid and post the entire document that I have with the WIP (which is completely stalled) for the other missions. So you'll have more than the original 10 pages. It amounts to a whopping 49 pages including a few WIP pages, the armory, and the hobby text on creating the Tolok.

Chapter Three and Four are placeholders right now. Neither Chillrend or I have spent any more time on this. I do have the outline that Chillrend sent me on what is the storyline which is why I have placeholders for the missions. This project is still one that I like very much. I just let it slide as I spend very little time with the hobby right now. And the change in antagonist for chapters 3 and 4 does require a little more work. I still haven't come up with a way to create the opposition that I like.

I'll share it to my one drive account. It can be found here.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#144 » Mar 29 2017 04:15

Thanks for that Meleck, would you like me to host these locally on ATT ?

- Tael.

Return to “Experimental Rules Lab”